Author Topic: cleaning old keyboards IN THE DISHWASHER!!  (Read 7228 times)

supernova777

cleaning old keyboards IN THE DISHWASHER!!
« on: February 12, 2015, 07:54:48 PM »
 :o ok guys
so i have a bunch of keyboards that are piling up.. and they all have problems with them
so i figure i can easily test this "Dishwasher" thing i have seen on the net

i have a few microsoft natural usb keyboards
and an all white g4 usb keyboard

the articles i have read all said to let them dry for 5days at least before even trying to plug them in again
to be sure not to short them out..

(heres one such article http://www.cultofmac.com/1625/its-official-keyboard-in-dishwasher-works-great/)

seeing as they are just taking up space and usless to me in their present condition..
i have no problem doing this. as i was going to throw them out anyway

wish me luck
ill try to take some pics
 8)

will be great if this actually works out (for me)
keyboards get really gross after even just 6 months
dead skin + pet hair -- grossss

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: cleaning old keyboards IN THE DISHWASHER!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 08:19:32 PM »
Some users from MacRumors has done it and have screwed/fucked the keyboards!

It is difficult to open an Apple Usb keyboard and not break any piece!

It depends on the models. When I opened http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Keyboard#Apple_USB_Keyboard_.28M2452.29 I broke some keys...

My http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Keyboard#Apple_Pro_Keyboard_.28M7803.29 is disgusting all the dust it gots

My A1048 has the protools stickers printed and glued with paper and is really disgusting. I had to pull off the R and T keys because they were BLACK of the use.

I can only recommed to use a cleaning spray with the keys looking to the ground. Otherwise, the "dirty" liquid can go to the circuits.

Be careful with your keyboards!

I used this method last time with my blue keyboard and I screwed, but you can try:

http://www.technology.niagarac.on.ca/staff/bgracey/usbkeyboard/usbkeyboard.html

For the first black USB keyboard try
http://www.technology.niagarac.on.ca/staff/bgracey/prokeyboardrepair.html

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 08:54:55 PM »
PROTOOLS GUY

i was about to throw them out anyway so i really dont give a fuck if they die
thats the whole pt..

might aswell try + see what happens
also, im not opening them up..
im sticking them in AS IS
and will let them dry for a week

way too much work to open them up + spend time on it..
its much easier to just buy someone elses keyboard in good condition used

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 11:02:12 PM »
I've had good luck with those 'magic erasers' things... never heard of the dishwasher method though!! ;D Sounds FUN!!! Haha! Maybe you can dry them in the microwave!! ;D ;D

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:55:57 PM »
was going to throw them out anyway nothing to lose!
(ill skip on the microwave tho lol)

Offline TRI

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 10:17:07 PM »
I'd just spray some 409 on a rag and clean it that way.  You don't want any fluid going down in between the keys.

For gummy residue WD40 works great, but I'd just spray a small amount on a paper towel or a Q-tip.

I have a few Apple keyboards but I end up using an old M3501 and the single button mouse, the setup that came with my Beige G3.  It feels more expensive than the later ones I have and there's lots of space around it to put labels for all my key commands in Cubase and Photoshop.  I have this adapter that changes it to USB that works fine except for stuff like PRAM reset where I have to use a more modern  keyboard that the computer "sees' right off the bat when booting.

Here's one that I'm hoping the price is a typo:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1990-Apple-Extended-Keyboard-II-M3501-M0312-/331480073240?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2dc08418

Offline Ed Redfern

• Enthusiast Member
  • Blind music producer
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 12:37:27 AM »
from someone who's done this, I'll share some methods.

ok. yes, the dish washer method does work but I give 2 caveats to this.
1: if your keyboard is USB powered, wrap a bit of electrical tape over the usb connector or cap it with rubber.
2: relating to the above if there are usb ports, ensure they are sealed.

I have a service method of my own and it involves 3 chemical and compressed air treatments.

also an acrylic cleansing treatment to remove scratches which myself and an apple refurb company are trialing.

though I'm still a studio engineer, I still do hardware and software repairs for apple  systems when needed, though down this neck of the woods, there's not that much work, so only either emergencies or restore jobs come to me, luckily most work comes through a company who knows my intricate standards. even the secrets of the job.

The dish washer method is a good idea but I advise the following first.
ensure you completely clean and discinfect your dish washer before you do this. any foreign  contaminants  will destroy the keyboard.

don't store loads of them in. 2 is more than enough. Any loose keys should be removed and placed in a container and hand treated.

now: my methods:

my 3 way tricks are done in the following way:

1: the initial exterior clean: I use a mix of specific cleaning acids which are readily available from certain hardware or cooks shops for kitchen cleaning (I'm talking very strong stuff here). I also use some natural methods including mixing lemon, lime and a drop of white vinegar in a spray bottle.

the above is used as a grease / label remover trick. in most cases this is the main treatment given.

2: compressed air: either use the tins of compressed air but be careful not to be agressive with them as the propellant will escape and damage any component. this is to air dust in the channels, etc. do this while holding the keyboard upside down or tilted.

3: the keybed massage. this is done with a light mist of the cleaning treatment in step 1 though there are dedicated commercial cleaning solutions for discinfecting keyboards available. you then apply a light amount to a lint free cloth and massage the keys. you can be a bit harder on them if the muck or any sticky residue is on them. once done, dry TWICE. then with a vacuum and a dusting brush fitting or a micro brush and pic, clean the channels out, etc. then after all this. a little general purpose computer wipe solution on a cloth as a final once over and polish off.

I also use this for system cleaning.

there's more to this little artform but that is experimentation and good training.

a clean mac is a sexy mac.

ed
Blind Music Producer / Studio Engineer / Sound Designer using legacy technologies that most of today's users don't understand well enough. Rebuilding a recording studio after falling victim to a pro audio company who cleaned out an analogue studio for modern equipment upgrades that went wrong. With help from amazing people, manufacturers, etc, things are looking up. Now trying to rebuild the G3 / G4 side of the studio.

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 08:14:06 PM »
was going to throw them out anyway nothing to lose!
(ill skip on the microwave tho lol)

Did you tried? Did they work after days?
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 08:41:34 PM »
i was going to try but our dishwasher is always full! Lol

Offline macdrum

• new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 01:50:22 PM »
When cleaning electronics with soap/water, its always good to spay the hell out of the board/keyboard with 99% isopropyl. It will speed up the drying process and remove impurities from the water.

I might be a good idea to rinse with distilled water before cleaning with alcohol. I little silicone spray under the keys wont hurt either (not sure if silicone spray is conductive, I know silcone grease is fine to use).

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 02:13:31 PM »
I have done that dishwasher trick--here is how I did it.

Placed electrical tape over the USB cable and the USB ports.

Placed it on the top rack, no soap, air dry. Normal wash.

Let the keyboard air out for four days in a warm house, turned upside down.

Works every time for me.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 03:01:59 PM »
I should try it. Some Aliens coming to Earth could consider my keyboard a organic kind of life.   
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 06:06:29 PM »
Maybe you should start wearing some surgical gloves then!! ;D

supernova777

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 08:28:16 PM »
stop dropping boogers in your keyboard dude  8)