Author Topic: System extension etc causing computer freeze  (Read 3619 times)

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
System extension etc causing computer freeze
« on: February 12, 2015, 09:56:21 AM »
When i startup with all extensions, control panels etc on more then often and i never know when the pointer and mac freeze.  A reboot fixes that problem until the next time.

However, When i startup with all extensions etc OFF ( holding shift key down at/during startup )  the problem does not occur.  This makes me believe that it is really not a bad stick of RAM but some rotten corrupted in life extension.

What is the suggestion to create a set of startups that could narrow the startup extensions  to help find the problem creating extension or control panel or something ?

I recall using a system to find the culprit(s) in a similar problem  but that was more then a decade ago.

LC520(my first iMac @ 25 MHz ), 8500/SonnetG4, Performa6360, QuickSilver PowerPC G4 ( 933MHz ), iMac PowerPC G3 500 MHz ,iMac @ 3.06 GHz, AND a plethora of midi/audio/recording gear and software and oh! let's not forget all those acoustical music instruments

supernova777

Re: System extension etc causing computer freeze
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 07:58:12 PM »
just use the extension manager to create a new extensions set
u can have many different ones i believe
u start with BASE which means just the bare neccessities and add in whatever u need
after testing a few hours everytime u ad one and youll find your problem!

let us know what u find out there sherlock holmes!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 05:58:15 AM »

it could also be just one third party extension which is conflicting with the system. what third party stuff do you use? if you post us a list, we could at leats _guess what it could be. i find copypaste very problematic for example, i have removed it with OS 860.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 08:12:01 AM »
it could also be just one third party extension which is conflicting with the system. what third party stuff do you use? if you post us a list, we could at leats _guess what it could be. i find copypaste very problematic for example, i have removed it with OS 860.

Good hint.  Will start as suggested by chrisNova777 with the basic OS 9 set and then add the third party extensions/control panels one at a time.

Will also prepare a list of third party extensions/control panels and post accordingly for your review/comments.
LC520(my first iMac @ 25 MHz ), 8500/SonnetG4, Performa6360, QuickSilver PowerPC G4 ( 933MHz ), iMac PowerPC G3 500 MHz ,iMac @ 3.06 GHz, AND a plethora of midi/audio/recording gear and software and oh! let's not forget all those acoustical music instruments