Author Topic: Shhhh startup chord  (Read 4281 times)

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
Shhhh startup chord
« on: February 11, 2015, 09:30:50 PM »
How do i shhhh the apple startup chord ?

Apparently it is a the sound of good health when the Mac starts up but there are times when it is plain annoying.

LC520(my first iMac @ 25 MHz ), 8500/SonnetG4, Performa6360, QuickSilver PowerPC G4 ( 933MHz ), iMac PowerPC G3 500 MHz ,iMac @ 3.06 GHz, AND a plethora of midi/audio/recording gear and software and oh! let's not forget all those acoustical music instruments

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Shhhh startup chord
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:23:36 PM »
there is a controlpanel which can do this for many models, for example (when i am not wrong) for all G4 but the cube.

you need to reboot OS9 twice in order to make it work.

similar solutions for OSX are not compatible with it, so it also stops working for one round when you were in OSX before.

the attachement has been zipped in OSX.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 06:36:01 AM »
Normally that startup chord is music to my ears... but there ARE time when I would like a 'stealth' startup too! ;D I DO mute it on OSX sometimes but don't remember ever muting on OS9. I'll have to give it a try now just for the heck of it! Haha

I KNOW it's gonna be a good day when the little smiling 'Mac toaster' pops his head up during startup!!!  ;D ;D 

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 07:33:30 AM »
IO and mrhappy,

Thanks for the response/info.  I still have to install/try the extra control panel in my meager collection of legacy Macs.

I have a set of instructions as well as a piece of software for OS X that work for me and you don't need to remember to reset the audio after startup.

OS 9 has always been a challenge for me to remember to "unmute" the global sound settings after a Shhhh startup and also, since i never really learned how to make full use of Apple "script without getting the horrid pre OS X "bomb" which i found really requires a system restart.

Any additional help and or comments are always welcomed.

LC520(my first iMac @ 25 MHz ), 8500/SonnetG4, Performa6360, QuickSilver PowerPC G4 ( 933MHz ), iMac PowerPC G3 500 MHz ,iMac @ 3.06 GHz, AND a plethora of midi/audio/recording gear and software and oh! let's not forget all those acoustical music instruments

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 08:04:14 AM »

right, the OSX solutions all play with the volume settings on the "preferences" layer, which is why they suck.

i alos use the OS9 cdev, because only in OS9 the need of reboots appears from time to time. :)

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 09:39:09 AM »

i alos use the OS9 cdev, because only in OS9 the need of reboots appears from time to time. :)

Excuse my OS 9 ignorance :  what is cdev ?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 03:48:36 PM »
sorry for my own ignorance as well. :)

thats the type code for "control panel". actually, for real control panels, because some other controlpanels are of application type(s).