Author Topic: Making Chords with Cubase  (Read 3641 times)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Making Chords with Cubase
« on: February 07, 2015, 12:07:15 PM »
Making chords is a very important part of music creation. In a Key Editor or Piano Roll editor available in most of DAW apps, it is really easy. I'll show you a example made in Cubase:

C Major Chord

As you can see, it is mostly a question of counting half steps.

D minor Chord

This are the main chords made with three notes (triads):

M : Major chord
m : minor chord
Aug : augmented chord
dim : diminished chord

When we add a fourth note (a seventh) we have a seventh chord. Based on the kind of base chord and the kind of seventh we have added , we have:

Maj7 : major seventh
mi7 : Minor seventh
7 : Dominant seventh
miMA7 : Minor-major seventh
dim7 : Diminished seventh
m7 (b5) : Minor 7 flat 5 chord

... So now -almost- the full picture!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 12:26:22 PM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

Re: Making Chords with Cubase
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 01:46:16 PM »
is there a way to map a specific chord for 1-key live playing?

i've never been able to figure out how to do this in cubase.. meanwhile its very easy in ableton live with the included midi effect.
i know there are midi "Effects" vsts like this for pc..  (http://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=midiChords) which do not produce sounds but rather, produce chords routed back to the daw to a specific midi input.. i believe this requires a certain vst specification (the same or possibly one up from vst instruments capability?)

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=281389
in this thread someone says that sampletank does that within its self?

a big reason why alot of kids use fruityloops on pc is because it has a drop down menu with every chord shape imaginable integrated into the sequencer
and easily accessible
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:14:12 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: Making Chords with Cubase
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 07:12:52 AM »
Cubase have some live capabilities and real time MIDI transformers. But I never needed to use a DAW in live, so I can't tell much about this.
I can imagine several ways to make "one fingered chords", but none are enough power full and flexible to cover my needs.

In fact, using this graphics you can force a chord even in most virtual instruments.

The easy way to write chords and chord progressions is with Roland/Dynaware Ballade.
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1029.msg3872#msg3872

Using the picture I've posted (once understood) it is easy too -and better yet -  it avoid the use *two* Apps, Ballade + Cubase, and use only one (Cubase). (I hate using more than one App for the same thing, that's what I hate Rewire and such,  you know ) This method can be used in any DAW (including, Logic, Pro Tools and Ableton Live) in a very similar way.

And of course there is some sampled instruments with the main chords sampled inside (mainly guitars) so work as "on fingered chords"
Please don't PM about things that are not private.