Author Topic: 8 Pin mini-DIN to RS232 DB-25 Adapter  (Read 6842 times)

Offline angelo kay

• new to the forums
8 Pin mini-DIN to RS232 DB-25 Adapter
« on: January 28, 2015, 05:15:27 PM »
Hey--

I needed a serial port adapter for a MDD Mac so that I can connect a Midi Time Piece II. By mistake, I purchased a G4 Stealth Serial Port (RS232, 25-Pin DB) and for some reason, I did not realize that it was not the 8 pin mini-din that I wanted. Rather than return it, do you think that I could keep it if I connect an 8 Pin male mini-DIN to male RS232 DB-25 adapter to it and have the MTP II work fine?

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
Re: 8 Pin mini-DIN to RS232 DB-25 Adapter
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 05:18:25 PM »
Yes, it should work. But you will need to make or buy an adaptor cable.

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 05:51:10 PM »
Probably. Unfortunately nobody tends to specify how the cables are connected inside, so you usually can't be 100% sure. But I have bought quite a few kinds of cables from them and they have all been great. At this price I would definitely try them. I suspect they will work.

Offline angelo kay

• new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 06:10:15 PM »
Sounds good. I am in the process of setting up a 2003 MDD 1.25 GHz Mac with an Audiomedia III card, Pro Tools LE 5 as well as a full midi setup with the MTP II. I will post my results when all is in place.

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 06:35:06 PM »
Sounds good. I am in the process of setting up a 2003 MDD 1.25 GHz Mac with an Audiomedia III card, Pro Tools LE 5 as well as a full midi setup with the MTP II. I will post my results when all is in place.

hi angelo..
please be sure to update us to your results..
im very interested to be educated on the results
during my research on this stuff i have seen a stealth card that was modded by someone to DB25 and i was kind of perplexed as to why anyone
would want to do this.. i can only imagine the person was trying to get a midi interface that features only DB25 parallel port (such as a musicquest 8port SE (1995) or Midi Express PC) or other db25/parallel port type connection-interface to work with their mac..these devices were intended to be used only on pc's and i would definately not reccommend this and its my belief that there would be a good chance this would be a futile effort and would nto work in the end.. but i have also read that some people have gotten such things to work.. but i would lean towards not using this, if the manufacturers intended this to be used in such a way they would have included documentation reflecting that... so i wouldnt reccommend it.. theres much possibility that the db25 to 8pin conversion could have been wired incorrectly to convert back to 8pin DIN mac serial.. so like i said.. id like to know the results of your efforts... and whether or not you can successfully connect to the MTP II (1994) using this method..

Offline angelo kay

• new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 08:01:05 PM »
Will do. This is what I had bought:
http://www.gomacpro.com/g4-stealth-serial-port-rs232-25-pin-db/

I don't know why I didn't notice that it said 25 pin, but I'll hang onto it and let you know if the adapter works.

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 06:45:12 AM »
Wow, I had misread and was assuming you were going from a mini-din 8 serial port to a db25 interface, because this is what I usually see. I didn't even know GeeThree made a db25 version. My guess is that the card is same but they simply rewired the breakout so that you don't need an adaptor.

Converting between RS422 and RS232 serial is not too difficult. Mac RS422 serial has the main difference of being differential, like audio through an XLR cable, but of course its logic signals. I have made serial adaptors before and they worked fine.

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 07:13:46 AM »
like i said i have seen them, i had thought that someone did it as a mod, but it may very well be that they were produced on purpose by geethree for a specific reason and i have read that people were successfull and that it is possible to convert... fingers crossed for you!

Offline angelo kay

• new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 04:14:29 PM »
Thank you Metrophage and ChrisNova777 for your support and enthusiasm. I probably should have referred to an 8 Pin mini-DIN to RS232 DB-25 as "cable" rather than "adapter" in my post.

Give me a couple of weeks or so to get my stuff together and I will post my results, gear/software, etc in complete detail.