Author Topic: ATI Radeon 9700 mobility chip and OS9  (Read 7444 times)

Offline Ed Redfern

• Enthusiast Member
  • Blind music producer
ATI Radeon 9700 mobility chip and OS9
« on: January 28, 2015, 01:56:10 PM »
OK.

here's a situation and this is where I could do with a bit of help. I'm in the posession of a G4 Powerbook 1.67ghz 17" model A1107 (trying to find the original restore disks would be a blessing). this, along with a magma 4 slot PCI to PCMCIA unit for ProTools TDM.

For accessibility whilst on the road, I'd like to run OS9.2.2, how as I know, the normal OS9.2 cd's won't run on this as it's relying on newer firmware and a firewire 800 interface as well.

my intention would be to initially test OS9.2.2 for unsupported macs from this site and assess it's performance. if this is doable, my question is this. Is there any way of getting the mobility 9700 gpu to work decently within OS 9.2? Now of course ATI (SORRY AMD!) I can't keep up with this lol, don't carry older drivers and from research, the general consensus is there's no real luck here.

OK, I have a G4 MDD 1.25 loaded ready to go... ish. so that's not a prry, but it would be nice to utilise the setup a little more.

I have both Protools TDM 5.1.3 now and Pt 6.4.1, however I was thinking of installing Tiger on the MBP for more accessibility but let's see how it all pans out..

any help would be much appreciated. either with the GPU compatibility issue or the restore disks for the A1107 powerbook.

cheers and have fun.

ed
Blind Music Producer / Studio Engineer / Sound Designer using legacy technologies that most of today's users don't understand well enough. Rebuilding a recording studio after falling victim to a pro audio company who cleaned out an analogue studio for modern equipment upgrades that went wrong. With help from amazing people, manufacturers, etc, things are looking up. Now trying to rebuild the G3 / G4 side of the studio.

supernova777

Re: ATI Radeon 9700 mobility chip and OS9
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »
i think this is a dead end

as u know, this model:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/specs/powerbook_g4_1.67_17.html
is not capable of booting mac os 9 normally...

pretty sure our user imic had no luck getting his 9200 mobility to work 100%
i think if we suggested to him to look into 9700 mobility, he might short circuit:D hehe

visit his thread here: https://www.thinkclassic.org/viewtopic.php?id=46
and explore all pages and you will see that you are looking at an area that is not fully explored

u may want to make some comments in his thread and offer to take part in imic's ongoing research..

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 04:58:07 AM »
Resurrecting an old thread. Would love to be able to use CoreImage in OSX and have hardware acceleration in Mac OS 9 with the same card.
Have anyone got the Radeon 9600, 9700, 9800 working and accelerated in Mac OS 9? Would love to replace my GeForce 4Ti 4600 with one if there was Mac OS 9 support for it.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 05:11:01 AM »
Resurrecting an old thread. Would love to be able to use CoreImage in OSX and have hardware acceleration in Mac OS 9 with the same card.
Have anyone got the Radeon 9600, 9700, 9800 working and accelerated in Mac OS 9? Would love to replace my GeForce 4Ti 4600 with one if there was Mac OS 9 support for it.

There is no GFX card that supports both Core Image and hardware acceleration in OS 9, sorry.

As to the 9700 found in the later Powerbook G4's, the best we can do, under OS 9, is an 'NDRV', that would allow for changing the screen resolution and the color bit depth.

So far, no one has booted OS 9 on one of these Powerbooks, so no one has requested an 'NDRV', when someone gets OS 9 working, I'll whip one up.

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 03:35:17 PM »
wasnt the 9700 a BTO option on MDD machines? I would have thought that would include an OS9 driver....

for what its worth, i currently use a 9600 in my MDD with OS9. its not "accelerated", but, the card is just so darn fast that it overcomes most issues. but im also not doing any kind of graphics or video work, just audio.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 06:39:56 AM »
wasnt the 9700 a BTO option on MDD machines? I would have thought that would include an OS9 driver....

for what its worth, i currently use a 9600 in my MDD with OS9. its not "accelerated", but, the card is just so darn fast that it overcomes most issues. but im also not doing any kind of graphics or video work, just audio.

I think the 9700 Pro AGP that was CTO in the MDD only supported OS X, tho it did have a ROM baed 'NDRV' that worked with OS 9.

Portables had the Graphics ROM in the machines boot ROM, and to save space, they normally leave the 'NDRV' to be loaded by the OS on X only booting machines.