Classic Mac OS Software (Discussions on Applications) > System Utilities & File Management

Other compression methods aside Stuffit

<< < (2/5) > >>

IIO:

--- Quote ---Yes, you are true. But Imagine this scenario:

--- End quote ---

i dont understand this scenario. 8)

but i agree with the idea that one should first of all, just in case, have all these free programs installed.

while i dont think anyone should make macrar archives, there can be no doubt that you need the app to unpack such archives.

--- Quote ---What if we use the same OS9 native app to encode files on Classic environment

--- End quote ---

thats just my personal opinion / general advice: dont do anything releated to system in classic enviroment. if something is gong wrong, is it a real brainfuck to understand why. keep your classic enviroment clean and use it only for running apps.

--- Quote ---We also should look on the limits on the "Splitters" software.

--- End quote ---

i dont know about the other formats, but we´ve ben using split and concat back in the days, because it is supported from OS 8.6 through OSX intel.

Protools5LEGuy:

--- Quote from: IIO on January 20, 2015, 06:15:51 AM ---
i dont know about the other formats, but we´ve ben using split and concat back in the days, because it is supported from OS 8.6 through OSX intel.

--- End quote ---

I know Split and Concat from OSX PPC. Are the same than SplitIt or Split'n'Join?

--- Quote from: IIO on January 20, 2015, 06:15:51 AM ---
i agree with the idea that one should first of all, just in case, have all these free programs installed.

while i dont think anyone should make macrar archives, there can be no doubt that you need the app to unpack such archives.

--- End quote ---

Agree. But If I have files in a partition that only OSX (below tiger) can see in a PPC machine, to use classic is not ideal, but plausible. We just have to find the right F.A.Q. of them to help "Classic" have good behavior.

--- Quote ---gzip 1.2.4 may crash when an input file name is too long (over 1020 characters). The buffer overflow may be exploited if gzip is run by a server such as an ftp server. Some ftp servers allow compression and decompression on the fly and are thus vulnerable.
--- End quote ---

If you have zip archive with filenames (for example) in ISO8859-2 code or other national codes, only MacZip can unpack it.
    Stuffit Expander and ZipIt surrend.

IIO:

--- Quote from: Protools5LEGuy on January 20, 2015, 04:29:37 AM ---Yes, you are true. But Imagine this scenario: Win x86 machine with WinRAR 5 and WinRAR 2.5
There you could decode v.5 files, make them native (plain files)

--- End quote ---

btw... in case we are talking about a mac os 9 application, you can not do that on windows. :)

but as i said, i dont think the scenarios you are talking about are realistic. unpacking a file which has been created on your avalble computer and OS is usualy not a problem.

what is far more interesting is the situation when you get a file from somewhere, which has been made using an OS and sofware you dont have.

IIO:

--- Quote from: Protools5LEGuy on January 20, 2015, 07:57:25 AM ---Agree. But If I have files in a partition that only OSX (below tiger) can see in a PPC machine, to use classic is not ideal, but plausible.

--- End quote ---

you dont need to use classic. that "macrar" program is available for OSX, too.

Protools5LEGuy:
Every time I see a RAR or ZIP file for a classic app I feel like playing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_roulette

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version