Author Topic: Protools TDM Mix PCI Cards urgently needed. Recording studio in Crisis.  (Read 4744 times)

Offline Ed Redfern

• Enthusiast Member
  • Blind music producer
Hi folks.

My name's Ed, I'm a fully blind Protools TDM professional user with 14 years experience working with TDM 5.1.3 running on what used to be a G3 Beige customised minitower driving 3 x 888/24 and 3 x 882/20 interfaces via the Mix Core PCI and 2 x Mix farm PCI boards. This was the part of my recording studio setup for 14 years. Unfortunately in June 2014 I became the unfortunate victim of a con by a local Pro Audio company who came in, offered a major upgrade deal whereby they came to strip the studio out, containing a plethora of analogue equipment, my ghost 24 auto, protools TDM flight cased system (touring and studio use), synths, samplers, the lot and upgrade me to a Protools 11HD based system with a digital console configured for my needs, etc. Sadly this went horribly wrong and I lost everything.

Long story short, after a legal battle, winning the case and instructing a bailiff to go in to recover what could be recovered, out of £40,000 in hardware, no hardware could be recovered, only £7500 in funds. From there I faced a serious battle to get my studio back, after all, I've lost work, my creativity and my nerve to hit the road working in studios since. In November, I produced an article in Sound on Sound, since then, amazing things started to happen and since then, my studio is nearly rebuilt, nearly fully running, though there's still things on the go.

Early this month, I received an amazing donation from a guy here in the UK. A G4 MDD with Protools software and most of the hardware, however there's a major snag here. the lack of Protools mix tdm core and farm cards to drive the system. these were apparently sold by the then owner of the machine and passed on to me all the software, plugins, external cables, outboard, etc in the hope I'll get it running fully.

After a while of having to fight this tirelessly, contacting ebay sellers hunting down these cards, due to a lack of funding as I can't complete work for any clients until the setup is 100% accessible to me, I'm suffering at the hands of fighting to get this mac running. I've contacted ebay sellers listing their cards, explaining the situation and so far either been messed around by a particular party for a week or nothing at all.

I'm including below two article links to Sound On Sound. These explain everything regarding the studio crisis and also the protools tdm situation.

Article on Sound On Sound re request for Protools Mix cards:
http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1133066&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1#1133066

Article on Sound On Sound explaining studio crisis:
 http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1127269&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#1127269

With amazing help from this site, I'm reunited with the TDM 5.1.3 software I need,besides plugins and other software that will make a massive difference to my work. I have to explain this point. because of my sight loss, I rely on speaking technology. on my current mac which was to drive protools HD11, I use voiceover, this is what's allowing me to post this message and work with this site. on the OS9 side of things, a screen reader called OutSPOKEN 9 grants me access to Protools TDM 5.1.3

I'm here to ask if there's any Protools TDM owners here who have any spare core or farm PCI cards spare or no longer used that you would be willing to donate. The reason I ask this is as explained in the articles posted, there's no funds left. What I do have however is spare protools outboard sitting here doing nothing including  2 x 882 and 1 x 888,  2 Y cables and a digilink  cable, I also have a copy of protools TDM 6.4.1 and other software (I'll be imaging them for backup purposes) / hosting on here if needed.

If there's anyone who can help, please drop me a message.

Sorry to post this here.

take care all and happy os9 living.

ed
Blind Music Producer / Studio Engineer / Sound Designer using legacy technologies that most of today's users don't understand well enough. Rebuilding a recording studio after falling victim to a pro audio company who cleaned out an analogue studio for modern equipment upgrades that went wrong. With help from amazing people, manufacturers, etc, things are looking up. Now trying to rebuild the G3 / G4 side of the studio.

Offline Ed Redfern

• Enthusiast Member
  • Blind music producer
Re: Protools TDM Mix PCI Cards urgently needed. Recording studio in Crisis.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 01:35:16 PM »
This is an update with good news.

After some emails, I finally have found someone willing to help out. An AVID service agent in the USA is able to help with 3 PCI boards (core and mix farm boards) however he thinks he doesn't have a ribbon node lead around. so I'm asking if anyone has any 3 or 5 way digidesign ribbon node  cables.

cheers

ed
Blind Music Producer / Studio Engineer / Sound Designer using legacy technologies that most of today's users don't understand well enough. Rebuilding a recording studio after falling victim to a pro audio company who cleaned out an analogue studio for modern equipment upgrades that went wrong. With help from amazing people, manufacturers, etc, things are looking up. Now trying to rebuild the G3 / G4 side of the studio.