Author Topic: Crash Recovery  (Read 4711 times)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Crash Recovery
« on: January 06, 2015, 12:09:59 PM »
So I'm putting together a PT TDM system... came with G4 500DP ...a little ragged but fired up with PT 5.1 and many plugs pre-installed. Figured the 2 internal drives were old so I ordered a bunch of new ones from OWC... while waiting for drives to a arrive, I fired up the system to try and configure some of the hardware, at which time one of the internal drives crashed... A bit rattled, I found a portable FW drive and did a drag/drop of the system drive. Disconnecting the bad drive must have been enough of a physical disturbance to cause the system drive to crash upon restart.  :'(

Tried to boot with the software restore CD but it wouldn't fire up. I was pretty surprised when it eventually booted from the FW! Found a semi-new ATA/IDE on the shelf, formatted that and Drag/dropped the FW onto the IDE and once again was thrilled when the thing fired up and PT opened right up! YEE HAA! Only problems so far have been PT looking for a few folder (setup/plugin) locations... mostly resolved at this point.

SOO... new drives will be arriving tomorrow... Should I continue down my current path copying to the new drives or is there something else that I should be doing? Computer skills are on the basic side.

Also will be looking for any back up strategy advice.

Thanks...MH

supernova777

Re: Crash Recovery
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 03:30:52 PM »
since u had a few issues, i reccomend u do a new os install + new pro tools install to ensure you are starting off with a 100% fresh + proper installation
we have all the software here to do a fresh install of both OS + PT. the only thing u would want to keep is any personal files + plugins if u have any that
we dont presently have available for download here.

download diehards bootable cd installer for os 9.2.2 http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2109.0
download the pro tools TDM 5.1.3 disc from the download boards http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=855.0

burn each cd first using your current install
then pop the cd in the drive, reboot + install + off you go

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 05:09:07 PM »
thanks for the great advice Chris! will give that a try!

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 05:39:18 PM »
ive not used diehards bootable os9 install yet so i cant give u explicit instruction on how its used but im sure someone else would be happy to answer any questions you might have if you run into any misunderstanding.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 07:02:35 PM »
The 9.2.2 install is simple... insert CD-ROM, turn on Mac while holding "C" to boot to CD-ROM, follow on screen instructions...

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 05:25:28 AM »
Thanks DieHard... the thing that has me a bit worried is that I couldn't get this G4 to boot from CD with the software restore disc so I'm wondering if there's some sort of problem there even though the CD drive seems to be working? I guess we'll find out soon enough! ;D

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 05:31:59 AM »
For some Macs with stubborn firmware, I have found that I was able to start with command+option+shift+delete to boot from CD

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 06:20:31 AM »
good to know Metrophage... I'll try that if I run into a prob... thanks.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 08:04:14 PM »
Just reporting back... finally got around to installing a fresh 9.2.2 and then a fresh PT 5.1.3.. Of coarse nothing went all that smoothly! Haha... G4 500dp still won't boot from CD but managed to get the OS installed then I was having trouble getting PT 5.1.3 to install(pilot error I'm sure) so wound up using the .sit from MacGarden... That installed fine but I had to use the serial number from 5.1.3 on this site... the serial number from the actual original PT system wouldn't work!! Anyway it's up and running now so all good!