Author Topic: Why I am looking for Mac OS 9.2.4  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Why I am looking for Mac OS 9.2.4
« on: December 29, 2014, 02:53:26 PM »
My signature says Looking for Mac OS 9.2.4

We have an unofficial 9.2.3 http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=651.0

But here on MacOS9Lives! we have taken official 9.2.2 upgraded with new tools (MacOSROM) to new lands.

i still have some request left for processes which i  do not yet have in my OS9 setup, and someone has to program it one day.

We could say that we have our own 9.2.3 just using the last uploaded OS. Even playing with 8.6 vs 9.2.2 extensions as Chris has made. http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1011.0

I forgot to mention, I like your signature and I'll let you into a little secret there was at one point a beta to be released of 9.24 but it was pulled because it was decided that OSX was to replace 9.

It can be. We should contact Anonymous, the hackers of Sony Pictures to hack the Apple Servers to download it!   ;D  ;)  :D  I think we will never see that...  :-[

We can consider Classic enviromment within OSX 9.2.3 because some things were updated "under the hood" and just for OSX-Classic to run OS9 apps.

For me, now, we enjoy 9.2.3 just for using the best optimizations made for our OS in hands of our members.

I am looking for even better performance. If that is possible. That's the reason why I am looking for Mac OS 9.2.4, even if it is only in our hearts. Chris will say I am drunk, but most we are looking for the same thing, having the name you want.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
Re: Why I am looking for Mac OS 9.2.4
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 04:29:22 PM »
I've actually heard this beta os9.2.4 story before. I think it was in a documentary I watched or something. Although I've done my share of network hacking it was only local networks with permission. I've always been a white hat. I know a small amount of programming with pascal and liberty basic but I doubt that would really help.. There has got to be other ways we can upgrade os9 besides knowing the OS source code. In some ways you guys already have upgraded it like you said.
"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Mac OS 9.2.4 relates to Copland?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 11:43:26 PM »
In my mind 9.2.3 would be the new Mac OS 9 that has a bigger footprint and has protected system memory that makes it almost crash-proof. 

Protected memory was number 1 request since OS7 days...  ;D

Are we all aware of Copland? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copland_%28operating_system%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copland_%28operating_system%29#Cancellation

After a few months on the job, Hancock came to the conclusion that the situation was hopeless; given current development and engineering, she felt Copland would never ship. Instead, she suggested that the various user-facing technologies in Copland be rolled out in a series of staged releases, instead of a single big release. To address the aging infrastructure below these technologies, Hancock suggested looking outside the company for an entirely new operating system. Apple officially canceled Copland in August 1996.[24] While the CD envelopes for the developer's release had been printed, the discs themselves had not been mastered.

There is a Copland version anywhere?

Following Hancock's plan, development of System 7.5 continued, with a number of technologies originally slated for Copland being incorporated into the base OS. Apple embarked on a buying campaign, acquiring the rights to various third-party system enhancements and integrating them into the OS. The Extensions Manager, hierarchical Apple menu, collapsing windows, the menu bar clock, sticky notes — all were developed outside of Apple. Stability and performance were improved by Mac OS 7.6, which dropped the "System" moniker.[32] Eventually, many features developed for Copland, including the new Finder and support for themes (the default Platinum was the only theme included) were rolled into Mac OS 7.7, which was rebranded as Mac OS 8.

The Extensions Manager, hierarchical Apple menu, collapsing windows, the menu bar clock, sticky notes — all were developed outside of Apple.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Re: Why I am looking for Mac OS 9.2.4
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 01:43:20 AM »
I wish we could get OS9 and prior running on newer hardware, at least G5 machines or something.