Author Topic: Digital Performer 1.41Y  (Read 47954 times)

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
Re: Digital Performer 1.41Y
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »
I am browsing here in osX (eMac, 10.4.11, 10-4 fox).
Decompressed test in osX, went fine, file bears the MAX mark.
Then I put the files on USB key sneakernet to my G4 OS9. Files lose their identity (creator), nothing works. CBXtest opens as plain text in MAX.

supernova777

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2015, 07:32:10 PM »
I am browsing here in osX (eMac, 10.4.11, 10-4 fox).
Decompressed test in osX, went fine, file bears the MAX mark.
Then I put the files on USB key sneakernet to my G4 OS9. Files lose their identity (creator), nothing works. CBXtest opens as plain text in MAX.

u must stuff them or convert them to macbinary before transfering
if u have stuffit 7.0.3 installed it creates a menu icon in the apple bar at the top of yoru screen.. select the file then select the stuffit menu icon from toolbar and select "encode to macbinary"

if its a single file just use macbinary.. if its a bunch of files create a disk image
this is a very simple process..
simply open disk copy and drag a folder containing the files u wish to transfer to disk copy 6.4 (http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=24166) and it will create a .img file

then encode the .img file to macbinary (resulting in a .img.bin file) that file is safe to transfer anywhere + everywhere
thats the process to do it *IN OS9*

the way to do it *in OSX* for the purpose of moving it to OS9 would be to use DropDMG like i have talked about on other threads (see http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1821.msg8765#msg8765 this thread has links to the appropriate versions of dropdmg for each ppc version of osx) and specify the creation of an NDIF .img file... u would do this by opening dropDMG, setting your preferences in dropDMG to be NDIF .img

heres an animation showing how its done, u can also drag to the dropDMG open app, not just the icon - its very simple - if u have ever used "dropStuff" applet for stuffit it works the same way.. simply drag what u want to be made into a disk image to the app or the apps icon

notice that the animation depicts dragging a folder.. as this whole concept + file format was created to keep mac os files together as a coherent filesystem for the purposes of downloading software installers that need to retain their file structure.. and thats why they can be made read-only etc just like any other software installer diskette used to be made (via the write-protect tab on a 3.5" floppy)

i believe theres also preferences related to encoding to macbinary in dropdmg
i will clarify that in a sec..
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:29:24 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2015, 05:30:09 AM »
Thanks for the tutorial!
I will look into that shortly, but for the now I'll be off for the weekend to visit some friends...
See ya next week!...

P.O.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2015, 07:48:55 PM »
will have to sleep monday (it is soon morning here now) but later i check in OS9 whats wrong with the file. normally a binary patch from OSX max4 should open fine (and it should not need a proper creator either)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2015, 12:33:07 PM »
I have finally transferred the files by network to my OS9 test machine. This has worked, the files have the proper personnalities.

One problem I have is that I don't have a OS9 compatible USB-MIDI interface... therefore I can't completely test on this machine. I'll probably try on my OS9 studio machine, which handles MIDI with the DIGI 001 interface...

For the moment the cbx-test opens, I get the boxes and the (rather elegant) maze of wires. However none of the yellow boxes seem to do anything...
"doubleclick to select port" obviously not working 'cause I have no MIDI interface.
"doubleclick to ope console" does nothing.
"change settings" what is this supposed to do?
"dump now" cannot work without interface, I guess...

I'll try to implement a MIDI interface with serial interface via Keyspan USA-28 USB-serial box.

P.O. 

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2015, 01:27:58 PM »
Update: MIDI via Keyspan USB to serial does not work.
I have tried to run "cbx-test" on my studio's OS9 machine (the one with the DIGI-001). This machine has MAX 3.5.8 installed, ant the cbx-test's patching (wiring?) comes out all wrong, bears no ressemblance to what shows up on other OS9 machine...

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2015, 02:16:14 PM »

nah, the yellow boxes were only used as labels; please click on the stuff above or beside them.

sorry normally you´d use the comment object (you would only see text) but i sometimes like to use those socalled messages boxes because they offer background color. :)

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2015, 03:37:16 PM »
I do admit that they look pretty neat, and immediately noticeable!
As for the effectiveness of the rest, I'll have to find a way to get MIDI out of this box...

P.O.

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2015, 11:38:38 AM »
Well, things are sorta stuck right now:
I have put together a testing platform using the beige G3 tower, running 9.2.2, I use for graphic arts. There's a PocketMac MIDI interface on the priner port which is connected to the CBX-D5's MIDI. I have connected a CD player to the CBX's audio inputs as a test signal source. MAX 4.1 is installed.

The problem is the CBX refuses to output the signal it's fed in. I play a CD, I see the signal on the input meters, but no matter what I do in the "MixdownCBX-D5 demo" program, I don't get signal in any of the 4 output meters, nor in the headphones. I know MIDI is getting to the CBX because I can change the input source and sampling rate (the front-panel indicators change). The "cbx-test" program doesn't do any better...

The CBX's SCSI is not connected. theorically we shouldn't need it, and in the intended use we don't need it. I'll nevertheless make a test... I may try a test with Logic Audio also

P.O.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2015, 12:12:02 PM »
hm, for a device with no display and controls you will need to connect it to audio to test a remote program. :)

does the box at least have midi in and midi out LEDs?

supernova777

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2015, 04:00:56 PM »
maybe offtopic
as im not following your conversation
but..

ive just seen the box for studio vision pro 3.0 says it supports your hardware (CBX-D3/CBX-D5)
http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=664.0

i dont believe we have a copy of this version (3.0) but perhaps theres some support files
for the CBX-D5 that you could take from the studio vision pro 4.0 cd
(if the support files incl. with v3.0 are still included with v4.0 which i have no confirmation of)

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2015, 05:32:13 AM »
The CBX has (a very limited set of) controls and display. As said in my post, I have inputted audio in the machine, and I can see that on the input meters. If audio is outputted, I would see that on the output meters and hear it on the headphones. If audio is processed, I will hear that on the headphones. It also has front-panel indicators that shows input selected and input and output sampling rate. Since these can be changed by the controlling software, I use them as an indication the machine is receiving instructions...
no, it doesn't have MIDI indicators.

As for Studio Vision pro, by golly, I have that very same box! never noticed it had that mention about the CBX. I don't even remember using it with the CBX, I ran out of install before that...

P.O.

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2015, 05:38:24 AM »
Dammit, you cats are making me regret selling my CBX.

That's how post-divorce sell-offs are I guess, got to let it go.

supernova777

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2015, 08:28:17 AM »
As for Studio Vision pro, by golly, I have that very same box! never noticed it had that mention about the CBX. I don't even remember using it with the CBX, I ran out of install before that...

P.O.

if u have SvP 3.0 -- it would be cool if you could image the disks to make it available and add it to the collection.

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2015, 09:55:22 AM »
OK. I have made a test in Logic Audio 3.5: CBX receives control well.
I have checked Studio Vision pro 4.5: CBX option no longer in there.
I'll make copies of SV 3.0 eventually. Where do I put these?

P.O.

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »
I have discovered something.
Look at the "add-2" diagram: In order to have the analog signal go through EQ and effector sections, the "rec monitor" switch has to be on!
on top of "add-27" page, that's the Channel N parameter 0.
That's about the only thing missing from the "MixdownCBX-D5 demo" program, and that's a crucial part if we want to use the box's effector to process analog signal.

I would also like to ask if you could show me how to access and extract that "main patcher" section of the "MixdownCBX-D5 demo" program. I believe you use Resorcerer, but I'm somehow lost as to what resource to look for, and how to extract it...

thanks,

P.O.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2015, 10:54:23 PM »

i could also just send it to you, but the process is indeed like you guessed:

in unencrypted compiled max4 files (socalled collectives, but also plug-ins or applications like this), you just take the "maxb" resource(s), copy them into a new file as data fork – then you may/could add type and creator and/or extension (for OSX, .mxb), and voila.

sucks much if there are 100 maxb resources, but is usually worth the effort for 1-5, and quite helpful if you made an app but lost the source, among other things. :)

yeah i understand what you mean, that makes sense, that you can only use the cbx-d5 as spx1000 while "record" is on. if that can be controlled with sysex or a CC, this one line of code will ensure the revival of the box.

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2015, 07:19:22 AM »
Many Thanks!
I have extracted the "main mixer" from the application, and opened it in MAX 3.5.8. It works.
However, there are TWO resources in maxb, the said "main mixer" and "extra faders". What do I do with that second one, do I just add it to the data fork or else?

looks like I'll be having a MAX crash course...

Also, I have an Edirol PCR-300 (keyboard with assignable faders and buttons) that can send sysex. I will try to use it to verify the sysex structure sent to the CBX.

P.O.

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2015, 09:48:28 AM »
Can someone tell me what this means?

byte count= 0x80 *[bc/H] + [bc/L]

([bc/H] is byte count High byte, [bc/L] is byte count Low byte...)

given that
1st case bc/H is 0 and bc/L is 0
2nd case bc/H is 0 and bc/L is 2

I'm trying to make sense out of this:

Parameter Dump Format (Appendix 2.1)

11110000       F0
   01000011       43    YAMAHA system exclusive ID
   01111000       78   YAMAHA system exclusive sub ID
   01000000       40    parameter dump status
   0ccccccc      nn    channel number
   0mmmmmmm    mm    parameter address Most significant 7bits [pa/H]
   0I I I I I I I        I I    parameter address Least significant 7bits [pa/L]
      parameter address = 0x80 *[pa/H] + [pa/L]
      0x0000-0xx1FFF: channel parameter 0x0000-0x1FFF
      0x2000-0xx3FFF: common parameter 0x0000-0x1FFF
   0mmmmmmm*    mm       byte count Most significant 7bits [bc/H]
   0I I I I I I I       I I       byte count Least significant 7bits [bc/L]
   byte count = 0x80 *[bc/H] + [bc/L]
   0ddddddd    data
         :      :
   0ddddddd    data
   11110111    F7

THANKS!
(sorry for the flaky formatting, damn tabs won't relate)

P.O.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2015, 10:07:10 AM »

for each maxb resource you have to create a new document in resedit (and save it, type it, and put it into the max folder)

all but the main patcher should also not be renamed i.e. the file should be called after the resource. most max projects are tree-structured, which means there is one main window which contains the other patches as objects.