Author Topic: As we close out 2014... what a hot year for Mac OS 9 !  (Read 3790 times)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
As we close out 2014... what a hot year for Mac OS 9 !
« on: December 24, 2014, 01:20:57 AM »
Wow, what an exciting year !  We hit many milestones in 2014...to name a few...

We resurrected the "Apple Software Restore" utility from the dead and reached new heights with the ability to clone a file's CNID (unique catalog node ID) and thus clone volumes that contained authorization based files and restore them with copy protected software fully intact.

The forum grew in members and we also formed alliances (www.thinkclassic.org) that enabled us to gather the tools needed to run Mac OS 9 on unsupported G4s.

We released images of newbie friendly versions of Mac OS 9.2.2 Install CDs so that new users could get up and running in record time

We made huge strides in the area of hardware performance upgrades for PPC Systems

And the list goes on and on...

It only sees fitting that as we close out 2014 we see activity (reviews, blogs, reference material, etc) all over the web mentioning Mac OS 9. 

This is the latest thing I stumbled across (dated Nov 28, 2014)... an Exclusive look at Mac OS 9
In addition to all the new features introduced in Mac OS 9 there are still some old favorites from the classic Macintosh operating system that never made their way into Mac OS X.

Some were interface features like the customizable Apple menu, Control Strip, themeable appearance, Platinum interface sounds, and desktop tabs that could be created by dragging a folder to the edge of the screen. Other were just a different way of doing things like managing your own memory for individual applications, or taking a coffee break when a greedy application hogged all of the available CPU cycles. Mac OS 9 was full of little tricks for getting things done. Like only loading the system extensions you needed to save memory,

The entire article is here:
http://eggfreckles.net/notes/an-exclusive-look-at-mac-os-9.html

Although we are one of the few strongholds left on the Web related to classic Mac OS systems, I can't help but wonder if the growing interest will bring even more refugees in 2015... who knows,  classic may even become "cool" again.

- DieHard fan of Mac OS

Offline arjen_1

• Gold Member
  • Mac Midi & Audio Aficionado
Re: As we close out 2014... what a hot year for Mac OS 9 !
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 11:39:57 AM »
who knows,  classic may even become "cool" again.

No doubt; OS9 is cool!  8)

Merry Christmas and a great 2015,
Arjen
Powermac g4 933mhz quicksilver

Offline Graveyard

• Enthusiast Member
  • I don't do Windows! said the janitor...
Re: As we close out 2014... what a hot year for Mac OS 9 !
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 01:23:55 AM »
As long as i still have machines able to boot into OS9, i won't give it up. Happy holidays and may we find ourselves some crazy experienced programmers next year so that we can do even more crazy stuff with our beloved OS!
27" iMac Intel Core i5 3,1 GHz, 16GB ddr3, 1TB hdd, Radeon HD 6970 1GB gddr5
MacPro 8 core Xeon 2,8 GHz
PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2,3 GHz
17" iMac G5 1,6GHz
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver dual 800MHz
PowerMac G4 MDD, Dual 1,25GHz
PowerMac G3 B&W 400MHz
iMac G3 Ruby 400MHz
IMac G3 Blueberry 400MHz
PowerBook G3 400MHz, AirPort
Macintosh Quadra 610
Macintosh Classic II
SGI O2 R10000SC 175MHz, 192 MB ram, 4GB hdd
Other stuff:PS4 slim, PS3 slim, Xbox classic, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DSi XL, Gameboy Advance, Original GameBoy, GameBoy color.