Author Topic: Pro Tools 4 and prior  (Read 24550 times)

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
Re: Pro Tools 4 and prior
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2020, 06:03:12 AM »
I meant which version of Open Transport :)

I installed this version from the garden:

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/open-transport-13-gold-master

And now have 4.2 running on 7.6.1 with my NuBus cards. Unfortunately, the crack doesn't include the bundled plug-ins, only the application and mixer. It complains a lot during start-up, but you can just remove the files from System Folder:DAE:Plug-ins.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2020, 08:19:23 AM »
I've currently got 4.3 running on my 7.6.1 system without switching the Open Transport files. However at some point it's possible that some newer OT extensions were installed on my 7.6.1 system as part of some other software package. Right now my extensions manager says I have version 1.3, but there are also some older 1.0 versions still in there. Hmm... I think 1.3 might've been installed later on.

EDIT: now I figured it out. I was beefing up my 7.6.1 installation and took the OT drivers directly from this site: http://main.system7today.com/updates/76x_powerpc.html

The stock OT version is 1.0 with 7.6.1 but these 1.3 ones are what you need. Pro Tools launched perfectly without a hiccup. Now I’m gonna go disable the 1.0 ones in my extension manager.

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2020, 07:48:53 AM »
Found some more plug-ins to run. There are some good ones, but with a single Mix farm I'm limited to two stereo effects! How far we've come...

The 7100 seems like a big step up from the Quadra 700, too, even if the case isn't as cute. It feels more responsive in many ways. And between the motherboard video and the one in the PDS slot, I've got dual monitor support without sacrificing Nubus slots.

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2021, 01:37:43 PM »
Looking for a DAE/DSI 3.4.1 installer. The link Avid's download site is broken :(

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2021, 02:37:32 PM »
Found on Archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20030218034950/http://www.digidesign.co.jp/japan/serv/

They don't have the files on the normal Digidesign site but I found them via the Japanese site linked in another topic here.

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2021, 05:25:19 PM »
Talking to myself here...

I found a Nubus expansion chassis on eBay with some Protools III cards in it. Now up to 3 I/O cards, 4 DSP farms, and two SampleCells. So I can pile on that "lovely" D-Verb up to ten layers deep.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2021, 03:17:54 AM »
Talking to myself here...

Keep talking...btw. Has somebody Pro Tools FREE CD-ROM (or image of it?), it was sale for $9.95?
Version is newer than 4, but what FREE version is on that CD. 5.0 or 5.0.1 or 5.0.1 Release 2?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2021, 06:45:04 AM »
i have a legit v3 and v4 - and a patch for PT free which gives it more tracks (and something else i cant recall)

protools free v5 was tmk download only, no idea about CDs.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2021, 06:46:50 AM »
i never knew there was a v3 free, too, which was CD only and no download.

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/pro-tools-34-free
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2021, 07:01:06 AM »

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2021, 02:08:43 PM »
Something that I find really weird is that a contemporary review of PT III claims that I should be able to run many more plug-ins than I am. When I look at the allocator, each plug-in takes up an entire DSP, but in the review[0], it says I should be able to run several delays on one chip. Wonder why that is.

BTW: Mike Collins wrote many things on ProTools, and until very recently, had a large number of old reviews etc. on his site. It seems he passed away a few years ago, and the site has now lapsed, and not many of his publications are on archive.org. I wonder if anyone has a backup.

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2021, 01:53:48 PM »
My latest ProTools haul came with a bunch of floppies, including authorizers for Hyperprism, unfortunately they've all failed. Or actually, the Hyperprism floppy worked long enough to deauthorize the harddrive that came with it (noise old SCSI thing), but then when I booted from my SCSI to transfer the authorization to that, it failed. Rather bitter about that, since none of the Hyperprism TDM downloads I've found seem to work, at least not for versions <2.1, 2.1 being the last to support Nubus.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2022, 04:47:23 PM »
My latest ProTools haul came with a bunch of floppies, including authorizers for Hyperprism, unfortunately they've all failed. Or actually, the Hyperprism floppy worked long enough to deauthorize the harddrive that came with it (noise old SCSI thing), but then when I booted from my SCSI to transfer the authorization to that, it failed. Rather bitter about that, since none of the Hyperprism TDM downloads I've found seem to work, at least not for versions <2.1, 2.1 being the last to support Nubus.

i may acquire an original hyperprism tdm next week, as well as a full nubus 12 slot chassis with 2 io, 3 samplecell, 1 nuverb and the rest dsp... the host card is a power pc, BUT i found a ppc upgrade card for my 950... this "should" work, cant wait to try it out. also ill try to run the infamous pro tools 5.0 nubus hack on that quadra 950, ive also read someone successfully hacked a quadra 950 to run mac os 8.6... still not mac os 9 territory but close

lets see how this turns out
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts