Author Topic: Pro Tools 4 and prior  (Read 24521 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Pro Tools 4 and prior
« on: December 20, 2014, 09:00:25 AM »
We've got the Logic archive covered perfectly but not PT. Anyone have working copies of all the oldschool PT4 and prior installs that are confirmed working?

supernova777

Re: Pro Tools 4 and prior
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:48:40 AM »
what about oakbog's page
http://www.oakbog.com/PT3NuBus.html
covers v3.4, not v4.0

or this garden page:
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/pro-tools-4x

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 01:10:49 PM »
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/readme/en207687

OS8.0 is required to run 4.3. 4.3 also adds support for the Mix cards, but unfortunately support for System 7 was dropped.

The download link you posted is a little confusing. Is it that 4.2 never came with a full install CD and it's just an icon you double click on, and 4.3 was the first official full install?

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 06:40:06 PM »
it would appear that 4.2 is only a crack and the 4.2 installer is missing.

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 12:51:08 PM »
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/jul97/protools4.html

is it possible to run pro tools 4 with a digi 001?
or do u need older hardware such as an audiomedia III?
or must one resort to "powermix" mode?

HARDWARE OPTIONS

Pro Tools 4.0 is available in four flavours.

The PowerMix version (£703.83 -- all UK prices quoted here include VAT) uses no external hardware but relies on the Power Mac's internal sound hardware. You can record two tracks and play 16 tracks using the Mac's stereo analogue input and output, although the number of playback tracks will be lower if your CPU speed is less than 120MHz. Obviously you get no TDM capabilities or effects sends, but you do get Audiosuite, and can use its plug-ins, plus you have 2-band EQ on each channel. The QuickPunch and scrub/shuttle functions don't work in this configuration.

• If you add an Audiomedia III card (PCI Macs only), for £703.83, you get the advantage of lower-noise hardware and RCA jacks on the analogue connectors (as opposed to those hideous stereo mini-jacks Apple use), plus a stereo pair of S/PDIF digital inputs/outputs. You can also scrub and shuttle.

• Then there's the Project version, formerly called Session 8. This is essentially a Pro Tools III system but without any TDM hardware. It uses Digidesign's Disk I/O card, and therefore requires a dedicated hard disk. Available either for PCI or older NuBus Macs, Project costs £2231.33, plus the price of an audio interface, of which there are two to choose from. The 882 (£891.83) provides eight balanced analogue I/Os and a pair of digital I/Os, while the 888 model (£2677.83) provides four pairs of AES/EBU digital I/O. Project lets you record up to eight tracks simultaneously, and perform QuickPunches. It gives you two post-fader effects sends and up to eight returns, but the send levels are not automatable.

• Finally there's the full-blown Pro Tools III system. The NuBus version of this costs £6249.83, while the PCI version costs £7131, again plus interface. This is the only version which supports all the features the new software has to offer, and of course it is the only version which lets you use TDM plug-ins. You can stack Disk I/Os and interfaces -- up to seven of them on PCI systems and eight on NuBus systems -- for a total of 56 or 64 analogue and digital I/Os. However, you can only simultaneously record on a maximum of 48 tracks (this bothers you, I know).

At £4463.82 (NuBus) or £5356.83 (PCI) per extra eight channels, we're starting to talk real money here. Plus, if you weren't smart enough to buy a 6-slot Mac in the first place, you'll need an expansion chassis if you crave all that connectivity. Digidesign themselves have had one for a while for NuBus Macs, which costs £1959.90, including a card that's required to make the thing Power Mac-compatible. It has 12 slots, but not all of them may be useable with a particular computer.

In their current literature, Digidesign make no mention of the products they used to endorse from Texas-based Second Wave, but the company is still quite healthy (www.2ndwave.com), and offer, along with NuBus expanders, several models that let you use old NuBus hardware in PCI computers, and which, they say, are completely compatible with Digidesign hardware. A four-slot NuBus-to-PCI model is $1195, and there are two 8-slot models: a desktop version for $1895 and a rackmount for $1995. Magma, based in San Diego, California (www.magma.com), make a 7-slot PCI-to-PCI expander for $1500, and a 13-slot chassis for $2500 is due out this summer. Bit 3, in Minneapolis, Minnesota (www.bit3.com), also have a 7-slot PCI expander for $1420.

does the above mean that one of the versions is powermix in combination with audiomedia III? or is audiomedia III one of the 4 versions.. apart from powermix ..  :D

Offline miracman

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 04:57:49 PM »

does the above mean that one of the versions is powermix in combination with audiomedia III? or is audiomedia III one of the 4 versions.. apart from powermix ..  :D

It's the same (digidesign lists them on the same page in their pdf here: http://archive.digidesign.com/support/compat/).  Not sure about Digi 001 with it.  But if I had a Digi 001, I'd go straight to 5. ;)  ProTools 4 lacks a big feature: it doesn't have a master volume.

http://archive.digidesign.com/compato/

The main interest for PT 4 imho is that you can have 16 voices without any required hardware.  I used it a lot and still use it just because of that.  I think I have the same installer (4.3.1) that mac garden has from way back when, and I should note that you have to allocate more memory to the DAE rightaway and I think you have to change its prefs for it to give you 16 voices.  Out of a fresh install it gives you 4 or 8.

The installer also puts in a few TDM plug-ins in there, which are obviously of no use without hardware... which makes me wonder if it's not just the same application for all versions mentionned in your article.   ???

(for example the TDM mixer gets installed which is needed only for ProTools III and/or ProTools | 24)

As for older version, I can make a bundle of 4.0.1..  It's very similar to 4.3.1 but 4.3.1. has an extra button which puts the hand, the cutter and the cursor in one button which, when selected, makes the mouse behave differently depending on which key you press (something like option means cutter, command means hand... ).  Another difference is that when you cut 2 sounds together (let's say you're editing speech using shuffle mode) 4.3.1. will "correct" the last sample of the waveform to fit the next "new" sample.  This looks like a detail but it's a major improvement especially when you're in a rush . :)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 03:35:58 PM »
I need a good Pt 5.1 installer (NOT the LE version). 5.1.3 requires OS9.0 or above and I'm trying to sty on OS8.6. 5.0 and 5.1 can work fine with OS8.6.

I did happen to find a copy of 5.0 but I can't find an update file or anything.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:39:06 PM by Syntho »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 09:13:16 PM »
I just checked an old archive and it has a bunch of installers for 5.0, 5.1 and so on but they're no good. Someone seems to have copied the files directly from the CD but it's not working. I need some proper ISOs of the original 5.0 or 5.1 install CDs.

If anyone has these please let me know!

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 12:37:19 AM »
I just checked an old archive and it has a bunch of installers for 5.0, 5.1 and so on but they're no good. Someone seems to have copied the files directly from the CD but it's not working. I need some proper ISOs of the original 5.0 or 5.1 install CDs.

If anyone has these please let me know!

are u serious dude?
the 5.0 + 5.1 cds are both posted.. did aliens abduct your brain? are u an imposter? where is the real syntho
kidding..

LE 5.0.1 is from me, from an original cd i got with my digi001
LE 5.1.1 was uploaded by PTLE5guy and its a copy made by dragging files.. not a 100% proper copy.. but, that it is *LE*
TDM 5.1.3 - not sure who uploaded but its been posted for ages

to get things clear..
so you are looking for 5.0 TDM? to use with macos 8.6? (versions prior to macos 9.0)
http://akarchive.digidesign.com/support/docs/50/TDMHardwareInstallGuide50.pdf

so the simple question to ask is:
does anyone have a TDM version of ProTools prior to version 5.1.3?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:45:43 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 02:28:50 AM »
Yeah, the full ISOs for 5.0, 5.1. TDM versions. 5.1.3 is about the first one that requires OS9 to install. 5.1 is pretty much the last to run on OS8.6.

I needed the older 4.3.1 version to test some Pro Tools III rigs  :)

supernova777

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 02:46:54 AM »
http://www.emusician.com/gear/1332/digidesign-pro-tools-tdm-51/32511

heres an article from february 2002 talking about the release of TDM 5.1
price: $7,995
pretty cheap;)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar02/articles/pronotes0302.asp
this is 1month later so it must be talking about the same

but yea it seems these articles are more focused on pt hd systems

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may02/articles/protoolshd.asp

im surprised we dont have anyone posting saying they have hd gear
i guess everyone who has hd gear is not interested in using mac os 9 + older versions of pt
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:41:53 AM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 04:04:54 AM »
this might be it?  8)

this ones has a proper icon, but im not sure if its the same v5.1.3 that you/we already have? even tho its only called 5.1?

notice how this differs from the cd uploaded by PTLE5guy seen below:

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 01:21:25 PM »
That's it :) If you browse into that "Digidesign" folder and CMD+i on the Pro Tools icon it'll tell you the exact version.

5.1 was THE last to run on 8.6 (except maybe 5.1.1, and I'm talking the TDM version, not LE), and 5.1.3 absolutely requires OS9.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:50:54 PM by Syntho »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 01:44:19 PM »
What do you mean by Proper Icon by the way? When I tried installing this old copy it told me "Icon Missing". I also remember making my own image from the raw files and when I mounted it it said that it had to rebuild the desktop file for it or something.

But yes I can confirm this is 5.1 and not 5.1.3. The installer date for 5.1 is January 23rd and the 5.1.3 installer is dated for October 25th, so that's definitely it.

Put it on the FTP or Mediafire  -afro-
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:57:42 PM by Syntho »

supernova777

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 02:56:51 AM »
What do you mean by Proper Icon by the way?

i just meant that its a properly copied version in contrast to ptle5guy's upload of the 5.1.1 that was not created as a proper image...  u can see it comes up with "toast" as the icon (under neath the middle windows in the screenshots)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 03:55:22 AM »
Oh I see now. I'd appreciate an upload, gonna put it on my 9600 :D

supernova777

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 04:24:43 AM »
yea ill get it taken care of today but.. u sure u dont already have it? i mean, i would have got it frm here?? some not-so-active member contributed this like over a year ago.. nov 2013 the disc image was made... around the time that jerry first made me administrator
the thread shoudl still be here somewhere

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 04:37:34 AM »
I looked everywhere, haven't seen it. Thhe only thing I have is 5.1.3 which is currently up.

supernova777

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 08:47:09 AM »
let us know how it goes  8)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 10:37:22 AM »
I just upload Pro Tools version 4.3.1  to my FTP folder.
Enjoy.  ;D
Please don't PM about things that are not private.