Classic Mac OS Software (Discussions on Applications) > System Utilities & File Management

IdentityTool Preview Release [OS X]

<< < (2/5) > >>

Metrophage:

--- Quote from: custos on December 18, 2014, 04:13:23 PM ---Would this work on a PPC g5 to boot os9? I would love to see what os9 could do on my single core g5. with the architecture being so different it would seem that it would have many issues even if it did boot.

--- End quote ---

No... No OS 9 install would have drivers for much of anything in a G5. It will happen pretty much when we get the OS 9 source code and start work on 9.3 - which is probably never. What this project is useful for is likely getting to run OS 9 on the later G4s, there are a lot of them out there.

Unfortunately, writing drivers for MacOS had always been "black magic" before OS X, even when these were supported systems.

Custos:
There is software on certain linux distros(ie..backtrack/kali) that are used for reverse engineering software. Never tried it on a OS.

supernova777:
i personally think that mac os 9 can run on a g5.. but people have too much fictional reasons that they have dreamt up that are the reasons why it cant when truly.. steve jobs didnt want them running 9.
the same reasons were once thought to apply to why u cant run mac os x on a pc.. and guess what?? ;)
anyway ... maybe im wrong, but i cant wait for the day that i see someone post that they have it workijng on a g5.. ; )

Metrophage:

--- Quote from: chrisNova777 on December 18, 2014, 07:51:16 PM ---i personally think that mac os 9 can run on a g5.. but people have too much fictional reasons that they have dreamt up that are the reasons why it cant when truly.. steve jobs didnt want them running 9.
--- End quote ---

There were fictional reasons, but those applied to the G4 machines. I never believed that there was any practical reason why a Mac couldn't have boot information for OS 9 *and* FW800, or USB2, or whatever. I know that Jobs just wanted to kill it to move on to the NeXT big thing. I really think we can have 9 running serviceably on most, if not all, G4 Macs. But the G5 seems to be different than "just a bigger G4". Considering how much faster the system bus is, how likely is it that the chips are similar? Even the CPU instruction set isn't the same. Running MacOS 9 on these is possible in the way that running it on some industrial PPC card or IBM PPC server is.

Of course, it would be great to do, and be screaming fast. But can the underlying software handle 8 GB of RAM on a 1GHz bus, with none of the safeguards that modern OSs use to do this sort of thing?

--- Quote from: chrisNova777 on December 18, 2014, 07:51:16 PM ---the same reasons were once thought to apply to why u cant run mac os x on a pc.. and guess what?? ;)

--- End quote ---

Who ever thought that? I had Rhapsody running on a PentiumII box I literally found in the street. Why hackintoshes are possible is because Apple already did most of the work of porting the OS to run on Intel machines. Tricking them to run on supported hardware which is just not "authorized" is a much easier task than running it on a system it wasn't written for in the first place. Even if Apple themselves decided to make an OS 9 variant for G5, it would be different enough that it might not be able to run the software we run on OS 9 now. It's only slightly less impractical than running MacOS on a non-Apple PPC, like an IBM server.

--- Quote from: chrisNova777 on December 18, 2014, 07:51:16 PM ---anyway ... maybe im wrong, but i cant wait for the day that i see someone post that they have it workijng on a g5.. ; )

--- End quote ---

I would love to see that, as would my G5. But I will not be holding my breath. I am just grateful that we have been able to extend the glorious house of cards that was OS 9 another couple of levels.

Protools5LEGuy:
Thanks Michael for this. Again.

--- Quote from: DieHard on December 18, 2014, 03:44:51 PM ---Can we get any takers to a make a Bootable OSX DVD that contains the Utility ?

That way pure OS 9 users will have access to this neat Utility ?

--- End quote ---

A Live CD with OSX DiskUtility and Identity tool would be great for pure OS9 users.

About G5s... There is another trouble related to Little Endian/Big Endian on G4vsG5 behaviour. If Motorola/Freescale would designed G5s instead of IBM, G5s could boot OS9.  :P

Reverse engineering OS9 to work on G5...  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version