Author Topic: MDD Water cooling  (Read 59566 times)

supernova777

Re: MDD Water cooling
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2015, 02:00:34 AM »
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4FT2332201&cm_re=fractal_design_r2_60mm-_-9SIA4FT2332201-_-Product

gonna order 4 of these badboys to redo my psu fans on both my mdd's ;D
pretty sure im gonna need a PWM controller of some sort to plug them into like i said before
rather then splicing the cables

i think this pwm controller will fit thru the holes of the mdd cd drive
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7618/bus-144/Bitspower_XPIII_525_HDD_Status_Display_Fan_Control_Panel_-_Silver_w_Blue_LED.html?tl=g34c17s286#blank
kind of hard to tell from looking at it

need to find one with pushbuttons that dont stick out or sliders
then again i guess i could just mount it a bit farther back so the door can still close!! problem solved!

this thing would be a perfect fit:
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/accessories/recon

im assuming thats some type of touch screen

imagine seeing that behind your mirror doors:)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:25:15 AM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2015, 03:01:58 AM »
found the service manual for the mdd!
maybe this can shed some light on whether or not theres a way to remove the mirror door on one of the 5.25 bays

Offline juansolo

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2015, 10:56:08 AM »
I stumbled upon this site when I was searching for ways to once again silence an MDD (I've been acquiring old Macs of late... because I can). Sadly mourning the passing of Verax who made a magnificent temp controlled custom fan set for an MDD, if very expensive. So I've been looking for other options.

Anyhow... I also water cooled my original MDD back in the day and thought you might be interested. Indeed I restored those sections back to my website even though the info is quite out of date now. But still, as I say, you might be interested. For what it's worth. I got it to the point that the HDD was the loudest thing in it ;)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2015, 01:37:06 PM »
Good work. Especially on to make the CPU bracket. But I don't like the idea of the the external refrigerator.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2015, 08:15:41 PM »
looks clean! great job!  8)

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2015, 11:11:10 PM »
Awesome job Juansolo ! A sweet Mod :)

NOTE TO OTHERS: As a side note, I have every repair manual for every G3/G4 if one is needed, if you cannot find it on the web, then PM me... these are very helpful in proper dis-assembly for modding.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:32:37 AM by DieHard »

Offline juansolo

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2015, 03:30:15 AM »
Good work. Especially on to make the CPU bracket. But I don't like the idea of the the external refrigerator.

I was struggling with finding a way of doing it internally at the time in all honesty. The big tower seemed a neat solution. The beauty of it was that you could still get in and out of there no trouble and the whole machine could be reverted back to normal. Well normal-ish. Which it was when I sold it. The big downside of course was moving it. As you couldn't really without draining and disconnecting it first.

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2016, 09:42:29 AM »
Swapping out the PSU for an ATX simply disables the ADC on a video card or it disables the entire card if it has ADC on it?

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
  • Quadra 700, G4 MDD, Mac mini
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2018, 12:43:29 AM »
surely its the 24v adc power only, which is not needed by anything else.

G4 MDD seems to have soft-power on, which means there is still power flowing through that power supply even when its off...this applies to older macs like the 840av too. that wears the filter caps, by this time.

Offline w3sl33

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2021, 08:36:23 AM »
Wish I knew about this before my MDD stopped working. Maybe would have saved my DP1.25. I think the heat got to it even though it sounded like a windtunnel.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2022, 10:31:24 PM »
just replace everything with noctua
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts