Classic Mac Hardware (Troubleshooting, Upgrading, & Modifying) > Storage Technologies

Time for the true. SATA speed In Mac Os 9.

<< < (2/11) > >>

Apfel:
In what G4 did you test the Cards?

Did you use XBench? Because XBench would explain the unrealistic speeds.

If you copy files by hand and stop the time and then calculate the speed you get the following in a G4 Sawtooth:
- PCI 32bit: 35MB/s max
- PCI-X 64bit in PCI 32bit Slot: 62MB/s max

Tested with:
- Sonnet 2x2 SATA-II PCI (SIL3124 chip), bootable
- "PC"-4xSATA-PCI-X card (SIL3124) with Mac drivers, not bootable
- Macally 2xSATA intern, 1x SATA extern, 1x IDE intern, PCI 32bit, bootable

On the paper the 32bit technology shouldn't be able to reach speeds like you got, anyway, IIRC.

MacTron:

--- Quote from: Apfel on October 19, 2017, 04:31:28 PM ---In what G4 did you test the Cards?

--- End quote ---
I did test in a G4 MDD.

--- Quote ---Did you use XBench? Because XBench would explain the unrealistic speeds.

--- End quote ---
There isn't a Mac Os 9 version of XBench. AFAIK

--- Quote ---If you copy files by hand and stop the time and then calculate the speed you get the following in a G4 Sawtooth:

--- End quote ---
You will obtain very different results, depending on the size and fragmentation of the files been copied.

--- Quote ---- PCI 32bit: 35MB/s max
- PCI-X 64bit in PCI 32bit Slot: 62MB/s max

Tested with:
- Sonnet 2x2 SATA-II PCI (SIL3124 chip), bootable
- "PC"-4xSATA-PCI-X card (SIL3124) with Mac drivers, not bootable
- Macally 2xSATA intern, 1x SATA extern, 1x IDE intern, PCI 32bit, bootable

--- End quote ---
Typical results on SiL3124 and a slow HD.

--- Quote ---On the paper the 32bit technology shouldn't be able to reach speeds like you got, anyway, IIRC.

--- End quote ---
You are wrong. The max speed of a 32 bits PCI bus is 132Mb/s.

IIO:
if i have to copy terabytes of files i do that under OSX and then files are copying with the theoretical read and write speed limits of the disks. (around 115 mb/s in my case)

Bob_D:
Keeping this tread alive!
I just tested ide>sata bridge vs pci digitus sil3512 with wiebe flash vs sonnet tempo with Intenso 120GB SSD. Powermac G4 Dual 450.
Startup-times +/- 40 sec bridge, +/- 60 sec Sil 3512 and 45 sec for Sonnet. Around 20 sec more for 2,5" hitachi HDD (sata).
Digitus card bootable in 10.4.11 with WiebeFlash (needed to manually install the wiebe kext) unable to install in 10.5.8 but recognized - not bootable but usable. Not seen in os 9!
So for compatibility, price and speed ide to sata bridge looks the best solution for older G4's if you want to use os 9 and osx.

trag:

--- Quote from: MacTron on May 16, 2015, 06:22:39 AM ---I have made new test, including the Acard 6290M.
This card perform worse than the SIL3112 based and very near to the SATA to PATA adapter results.

--- End quote ---

Some of Acard's early SATA products were exactly the same chips as their PATA product with a PATA to SATA bridge added just before the SATA connector.

Not sure about the 6290 in particular though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version