Author Topic: matrox rtmac  (Read 7298 times)

supernova777

matrox rtmac
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:07:47 AM »

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/rtmac/faqs/general/

Matrox RTMac is a PCI video card that provides realtime DV effects processing, analog NTSC/PAL video capture and output/display capabilities, as well as support for connecting a second computer monitor to your Power Mac G4. It is used with Final Cut Pro video editing software.

Matrox RTMac requires the following minimum system configuration:� Single or multi-processor Power Mac G4 with AGP motherboard

400-MHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor
    320 MB RAM (minimum)
    One free PCI slot
    Mac OS version 9.2.2
    Final Cut Pro 3.0.4
    QuickTime 5

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
Re: matrox rtmac
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 10:55:06 PM »
I've got this! I only messed around with it about a year ago before I moved, haven't set it up since then. A few years back I needed a cheapish Mac video input card, I bought several but they've all had problems.

Aurora Fuse - Great reviews, cheap. But on my MDD G4 in 9.2.2 the audio and video were so off and erratic as to be practically unsyncable for me.

AstarteDVDirector Pro / Mediapress - Weird errors. Complains my setup is slow even though it far outspecs their requirements. IIRC Needs exact versions of something-or-other to install. Picture didn't look great, but I wanted to figure out the errors before I tweaked it. MDD G4 in 9.2.2 also.

Matrox RTMac - Only one of the three which supposedly works on 9 and X. Nice recordings, no errors, but automatically  stops after a certain time - 10-15 minutes? Also has a confusing scheme of caching and saving data to files, I needed to be really on top of it to not lose recordings I'd made. This was on a FW800 (curse you, ebay!) running IIRC 10.4.11

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 07:18:40 AM »
I am trying to encode some video now, and having a miserable time of it. I have never, ever had a video encoding setup that worked properly.

RTMac - sounds great, yes? I moved this summer and can't find the breakout box anywhere. I did see it during the summer, so I know it's here. Those transparent plastic cases seem to enable a chameleon-like camouflage with whatever is near it. I swear I tore up my whole living area over the past month and thing is just gone... except that I know it really isn't.

So I tried the Fuse again. It's even worse than it was on whatever box I tried before. It uses a QuickTime dialog box to select the audio input - but due to some well-know QT bug I'd never known about before, it automatically switches back to "none", no audio.

Then I was happy to find my DVDirector/MediaPress kit. I've got it all set up and it gives me nothing but grief. When it does capture video, the borders are never straight, the top half of the image warps slightly to the left. Also, it keeps stopping my recordings with complaints that my computer is not fast enough. This kills me. These encoders are like from an earlier era. If a stock digital audio can capture MPEG2 in real time, a faster MDD should be able to capture MPEG1 in real time, to a separate drive even. It's such an utter crock of shite I want to scream. I've got virtual memory off, optimized cache, maximum RAM, and fast drives... I just don't know what to do, I hate it.

Edit: I see what it's doing. The recording peters out at 730.1 MB every time, whatever drive I try recording to.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:34:51 AM by Metrophage »

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 06:29:12 PM »
I am trying to encode some video now, and having a miserable time of it. I have never, ever had a video encoding setup that worked properly.

RTMac - sounds great, yes? I moved this summer and can't find the breakout box anywhere. I did see it during the summer, so I know it's here. Those transparent plastic cases seem to enable a chameleon-like camouflage with whatever is near it. I swear I tore up my whole living area over the past month and thing is just gone... except that I know it really isn't.

So I tried the Fuse again. It's even worse than it was on whatever box I tried before. It uses a QuickTime dialog box to select the audio input - but due to some well-know QT bug I'd never known about before, it automatically switches back to "none", no audio.

Then I was happy to find my DVDirector/MediaPress kit. I've got it all set up and it gives me nothing but grief. When it does capture video, the borders are never straight, the top half of the image warps slightly to the left. Also, it keeps stopping my recordings with complaints that my computer is not fast enough. This kills me. These encoders are like from an earlier era. If a stock digital audio can capture MPEG2 in real time, a faster MDD should be able to capture MPEG1 in real time, to a separate drive even. It's such an utter crock of shite I want to scream. I've got virtual memory off, optimized cache, maximum RAM, and fast drives... I just don't know what to do, I hate it.

Edit: I see what it's doing. The recording peters out at 730.1 MB every time, whatever drive I try recording to.

we can go over your setup if you want to. i believe you got a limit set which can be changed in the prefs. final cut or premiere ?

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:58:58 PM »
Last time Metro were here February 26, 2015, 08:08:51 AM.

Another Nova victim?
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 07:29:03 PM »
LOL No, not a Nova victim - just a victim of being frustrated with having too many of my old Macs either broken or unusably flaky.

I am autistic myself, so it takes an exceptionally annoying personality to phase me.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 02:57:11 PM »
Found one of these from storage, don't know where I got it, just the card Matrox 968-03 A, looks identical to the card in the first post, up for grabs if anyone wants it, just pay shipping

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 01:58:07 AM »
Found one of these from storage, don't know where I got it, just the card Matrox 968-03 A, looks identical to the card in the first post, up for grabs if anyone wants it, just pay shipping

my dad just yesterday announced to me that i will have to digitize his analog tapes as well as digital. i cant be sure about whats the actual format because he said he brings me his mac pro today to fix and i was surprised as it was his macBOOK pro.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2417.0

it appears to be made for premiere.

is there a professional card besides a media composer tripple card system that i wont be able to get running without the dongle? anyone into os9 video? im an audio guy but id love to breathe life into a MDD for video capture/editing purposes.
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts