Author Topic: Dual 2Ghz G4 upgrade?  (Read 10157 times)

Offline max1zzz

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Dual 2Ghz G4 upgrade?
« on: November 17, 2014, 03:36:26 PM »
Did anyone ever make a dual 2Ghz G4 upgrade?

Back when my dad's G4 QS was coming to the end of it's active service life i remember looking at CPU upgrades with him concerning weather to get a faster CPU for the G4 or invest in a G5 (in the end he got given a G5, otherwise i suspect we would have upgraded the G4). I always remember the card we where looking at as a dual 2Ghz card - but I have never found this card again

This was probably around 2006 - 2007 and the card cost around £200. My assumption was always that it was a Sonnet card, but then that might be more that i wasn't really aware anyone else made upgrade cpu's at the time.

Now did anyone ever make a dual 2Ghz card? or did i imagine this? (It could be that we where looking at both the dual 1.8Ghz card and the single 2Ghz cards - both of which i know exist and i have just muddled them into one)

Not that I would ever be able to get hold of one of these cards (if they exist!) but it's really been bugging me lately.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: Dual 2Ghz G4 upgrade?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:34:44 AM »
There isn't a G4 2.0 Dual, but the Newertech 1.8 Dual 7448 will run at 2.0 Ghz.
But to use this CPU you should remove the Apple CPU plugingins file, and then, the dual CPU support in Mac Os 9 is gone!

I couldn't ever solve this. I think that is has to do with the 7448 energy saver management.

So the better choice is:

http://www.maclife.com/article/newer_technology_maxpower_g4_7448_2_0ghz
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline max1zzz

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 03:11:18 PM »
ahh, thanks for clearing that up guys

The dual 1.8Ghz's are still a little too much for me,But i'm not really looking to upgrade right now, i was just curious as to weather this upgrade had existed

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 11:59:43 PM »
I have the Sonnet Encore/MDX G4 Duet in my MDD. The original CPU was the dual 1.25GHz later upgraded to a dual 1.42GHz… The Sonnet is still generally all-around-noticeably faster at 1.8Ghz than even the 1.42GHz. It is also MUCH cooler running with its comparatively tiny heatsink. The main fan runs more quietly in both OSX and OS9. It runs more slowly and the small heatsink causes less turbulence. These proc boards are long out of production, very hard to find and tend to be pricey if you do find one. I held my breath and spent the $$ because I do virtually all of my music production in OS9 and 10.5 so I just was determined to have the fastest MDD I could get. (Also, Cameron Kaiser has one and I was envious…) I've finally let that breath out and I'm convinced the $$ and effort were well spent. My machine flies like a Porsche in OS9 and feels like a G5 in OSX.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 09:48:09 AM »
I have the Sonnet Encore/MDX G4 Duet in my MDD. The original CPU was the dual 1.25GHz later upgraded to a dual 1.42GHz… The Sonnet is still generally all-around-noticeably faster at 1.8Ghz than even the 1.42GHz.

Can you please run a Mac Bench speed test 3.0?
It will be interesting to see how this upgrade performs against some overclocked MDDs.

... I held my breath and spent the $$ because I do virtually all of my music production in OS9 and 10.5 so I just was determined to have the fastest MDD I could get.

I'm into this way too, but in the Mac Os 9 side only.

Also, Cameron Kaiser has one and I was envious…

Yeah I know. We'd tested his 1.8 upgraded MDD against my 1.66 overclocked MDD in the 68kmla forum.

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »
Yeah I know. We'd tested his 1.8 upgraded MDD against my 1.66 overclocked MDD in the 68kmla forum.

you cant say this without declaring the winner  8)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 01:56:21 PM »
you cant say this without declaring the winner  8)

There wasn't a real winner...
Accordingly with Cinebench, both systems are very near each other.

That's why I'm asking for more speed test  ;)

The weird thing is that the Sonnet 1.8 in the MDD seems to work as dual, while the Newertech 1.8 can't.  :o
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:12:30 PM by MacTron »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 12:36:00 AM »

It will be interesting to see how this upgrade performs against some overclocked MDDs.

I'd be happy to if I had Mac Bench… Where do I look?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 01:19:18 AM »

UPDATE: Took a look in the Garden (duh); Ran MacBench 5; Proc score was 3932 (vs. standard G3). I have absolutely NO idea where that falls in the upgrade universe… So, Tron? What's it all mean, dad?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 07:57:28 AM »
UPDATE: Took a look in the Garden (duh); Ran MacBench 5; Proc score was 3932 (vs. standard G3). I have absolutely NO idea where that falls in the upgrade universe… So, Tron? What's it all mean, dad?
I'm not familiar with MacBench 5 results. And I don't recommend using it, because Nobody have the CD test. I have the CD test of Mac Bench 4 but it don't work,  so Mac Bench 3 only :)

I'd be happy to if I had Mac Bench… Where do I look?

Here you have MacBench 3 (and CineBench 2003):

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=623.0

and some others results to compare.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 11:31:44 PM »

OK… Under MacBench 3.0 my Sonnet score vs. the 6100/60 is: 510.96
Attaching the graph (if it works)
Your comments?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 01:45:56 PM »
OK… Under MacBench 3.0 my Sonnet score vs. the 6100/60 is: 510.96
Attaching the graph (if it works)

Thank you for the data.

Your comments?

It's a great result. This is probably one of the fastest Mac Os 9 machine. It is a 14% faster than my Dual [email protected] Ghz (1.42 overclocked) in "pure" CPU speed. But... the Dual [email protected] Ghz it is very close or even can surpassed it, in some task when the presence of the L3 cache is critical.
If they had installed the 7448 instead of the 7447...  :'(