Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361738 times)

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #720 on: March 16, 2023, 08:48:02 AM »
I'm really interested at this point on seeing how I can run some older programs designed to run on OS 7 & 8 on the mini. If that is possible that way or if I have to partition the drive and load the OS's.

In Mac OS 9 you can run some Mac programs even from 1986, but not all.
My approximation is that 80% of MacOS 8 programs work and 50% System 7 programs work. and about 1% from System 1.
Many old software needs drop resolutions and colors as low as possible.
And I still interested in how to get 2 color mode in Mac OS 9.

Offline apite

« Reply #721 on: March 16, 2023, 02:21:32 PM »
Hi everyone!

Age and nostalgia catch up to you (you have been warned!) so I've found my way back to wanting to play with the old tools again - so glad I found this place! :)

I've been dreaming about a simple MIDI system with MTP for a while now so I've started hunting down some old hardware to experiment with. It's amazing to find so much stuff still available that we tossed (quite literally) in the garbage decades back and we updated to new technology. If only I had a Time Machine...

I've been using Mac since the mid-80's and started with Master Tracks Pro before moving to Studio Vision Pro, Cubase, Digital Performer, and eventually landing in Logic (and I'm still there today...) It's a trip through the fizzling neurons somewhere in the back of my head as I'm looking around here, so I look forward to your experiences and help as I get my '9 Legs' back.

Thanks for a great site, and hoping I can be of some help as I trudge forward.

For fun I found a few pics of our setups from '04 and '06 - enjoy!

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #722 on: March 16, 2023, 03:54:30 PM »
Awesome pics !

Damn, that Korg Triton in Pic (2) looks brand new, Do you still have it ?

I still have a TR-RACK, but Triton left me a long time ago... if anyone bought the software version I would love their opinion

Offline apite

Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :
« Reply #723 on: March 16, 2023, 05:54:06 PM »
“ Damn, that Korg Triton in Pic (2) looks brand new, Do you still have it ?”

I wish! All of that hardware is long gone - went pretty much Virtual by 2010 except for a few analog bits I couldn’t bear to part with.

I do think I have the Korg Collection version of the Triton, but really haven’t toyed around with it. I like their M1 Plugin a lot, so sure the Triton is similar in quality/features. The original Legacy Collection was one of the main reasons I went Virtual - they sound identical to the hardware, and a lot less real estate to deal with.

Offline apite

« Reply #724 on: March 17, 2023, 08:57:59 AM »
Digging in storage for my build and surprisingly amazed at what I've kept. Curious if that MTP Disk still works...

I recall having a 12-port hub for peripherals and Dongles - now I remember why!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #725 on: March 18, 2023, 05:38:03 AM »
got another firewire hub (redundancy), another BD burner (redunancy), and another monitor (redundancy) as spare parts, just in case.

already ordered ist a another HD enclosure 12V PSU (replacement)

today i ordered the next pair of HDs for the second external NAS and/or firewire cases which are 2,5" this time.
the 10 years old big 2 TB HDs are still 25 euros, and the cheapest small ones are now 44 euro and already much faster and have 128 cache, so i guess from now on i can buy those new even with my lean budget.

maybe i need to get another keyboard (quicksilver area) soon, i have several but they are all black and in between i think white might better readable in the dark.
or would you recommend to use a later (plastic with USB at the backside or even metal) model?

on my wishlist there is a set of new fans for the QS, but i am not sure when to actually do this.

then i need to find another monitor cable, 5 meters, which supports WUXGA and is under 50 euros. the one i found last year is no longer sold anywhere and absolutely everwhere there are only cables for 12 euro (which do not work) or professional installation cables for 250 euros (am i crazy?) and nothing in between.

what goes totally on my nerves is that when you connect externals speakers to the QS, they mute the internal speaker so you have to unplug them to switch back to internal. not sure how a solution could look like and if it will be enough to buy some part and replace it using some violence. ;)

p.s. ah, and i have legalized my nuendo 3 for an upcoming project, but as you know this has nothing to do with PPC.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline apite

« Reply #726 on: March 18, 2023, 11:51:43 AM »
Man, I love all of you. :)

I got my Test Machine yesterday afternoon (G3 iBook 800, 640RAM, 30GB HDD (Still works!) and my SSD upgrade arrived today (have to steel myself for that one, so testing everything first before I climb that mountain of an install)

I got 9.2.2 installed, Stuffit Expander and Toast cooking, Logic 6.4 up and running, and finally got OMS working with an old Midiman 2x2. I couldn't have gotten this far without all the info and help here. All of you just Rock - thanks so much!

I *did* get Master Tracks Pro 5 and 6 installed. 5 works, but no OMS (I'm USB only here) and 6 works fine after the struggles with OMS, but crashes after recording. I seem to recall that's when I stopped using it because of this back in the day...

However, I did find in my stash a CD with the MTP 6.8.3 Installer on it - but I have no 'Password' for the Installer (VISE) and not sure if needs a Serial or if the V6 on floating around will work. Any help on this would be appreciated!

Again, thanks everyone - could not have done this with all of you here.

Offline loubengal

• Newcomer
« Reply #727 on: March 19, 2023, 02:18:50 PM »
hi yall! i'm so glad this forum is still active! i inherited the power mac 6500/250 (it runs os 9.1!) that i grew up with and im hoping to find a way to stream the games i grew up online. i'm going to have a whole mess of questions about mirroring and display cables once i get my bearings but for now i wanted to say hi!

Offline ObiWanCanOweMe

« Reply #728 on: April 01, 2023, 06:16:28 PM »
Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself and provide a little background.

Been an Apple enthusiast since around 2000. I was solely PC before that (mostly for gaming) but when OS X came out I was intrigued due to its UNIX underpinnings. At this point I was also getting into Linux and sorely desired *nix experience with a polished GUI. So I bought a titanium PowerBook G4 with a cracked screen from eBay since that was all I could afford  ;D

That was followed by an used eMac and then a few years later my first new purchase from the Apple Store, an Intel Aluminum MacBook Pro. Since then I've used mainly Apple laptops but am now daily driving an M2 Pro Mac Mini. Still, I never owned a Power Macintosh...

Which brings us to the present day. I've been wanting to get into retro computers for a while now and a few weeks back stumbled across some YouTube videos on the subject. That inspired me to pick up the following:

Apple Power Macintosh G4 1.0 DP (MDD)
Apple Power Macintosh G4 1.0 (FW 800)
23" Apple Cinema Display HD
2 x LaCie External FW Optical Drives
PCI SATA Adaptor
Adaptec 29160N Ultra160 SCSI Adaptor
M-Audio FireWire Audiophile Recording Interface
AGP BFG Geforce 7800GS OC (to flash)
Dell Dimension 4550 (to flash the GPU)
And of course, lots of other adaptors, drives, cables, etc.

My end game for all of this is to have a sort of Retro Computer Room where I can have 4-5 working machines going.

So I'm very happy and excited to be here since I rather suspect I am among kindred spirits :)
Have loved computers of all kinds since I was a kid and managed to turn it into a successful career doing DevOps for a Fortune 500 company. Less enthusiastic about current macOS and Apple hardware these days but hey, it's still better than Windows, right? ;)

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #729 on: April 12, 2023, 10:01:17 AM »
+8100 smm racked with sonnet 500mhz g4 🤗 yes nubus IS os9 too
+8100 diy racked with sonnet 400mhz g3
+2 more QS
+1 more Cube
+1 Pismo🤩
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline donaldbrisendine

• Newcomer
Hi all, Just found this site.
 I have several 7600s , that I use to drip feed my cnc machines a Powertower Pro, a Blue and white G4.
And a sunflower imac g4 with original speakers but without a HD that I would like to get running ( the reason i found this site)any advise would be appreciated.I have a SATA 32gb SSD that I would like to use  I have a IDE to ATA bridge but dont know if it will work?

Offline alfaxysm

• Newcomer
    • Bandcamp
Hello everyone!

I am alfaxysm and I'm a digital artist mainly keen on electronic music production and graphic design, especially motion visuals, largely inspired by aesthetics from the turn of the millennium.

I decided to join you all after I finally found myself a computer capable of running OS 9, that actually works. It's the late 2001 revision of the iBook G3, currently running OSX 10.2 - no worries though, I am planning to get OS 9 on there instead. That's why I'm here after all! =)

I don't have any past experience with this OS on bare metal, so I'm really excited to try it out for the first time, the proper way, without any of that virtualization business. I'm sure it will be a fun journey for me, especially because pretty much all the creative software I need and use on a daily basis is available on this platform. And the fact that working with older software actually makes me feel more productive and focused on the creative work, without any distractions that my main PC provides me with.

Cheers!

Offline Vivid

Good morning,

Mac+, SE/30, MDD... I continue to program with CodeWarrior, in C is PPC assembler, I learned C at the same time as the ToolBox, but assembler remains my first love!  :P

Offline Deltroid

• Newcomer
A short introduction currently have a PowerBook 170 8/80 and a power Mac 8600/300 trying to add a G4 system that's mid range price n the SF Bay area. My favorite machines were a Mac plus (used as a kid young) Mac iici, Quadra 660av, duo 280c, g3 Aio and G4 da.

Does anyone know the most reliable desktop G4 system model/s to that have held up?

My 8600/300 is a tank, and trooper. The PowerBook 170 still works knock on wood... Unfortunately all the PowerBook I had like duos , even an iBook died, by 2013 and even the power supplies. Wish I had kept them intact or  known about capacitors and such. Lol

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #734 on: June 03, 2023, 10:43:59 PM »
Yep: my G4 Quicksilver 2002. Runs OS 9 like a champ! It boots daily without a problem.

A short introduction currently have a PowerBook 170 8/80 and a power Mac 8600/300 trying to add a G4 system that's mid range price n the SF Bay area. My favorite machines were a Mac plus (used as a kid young) Mac iici, Quadra 660av, duo 280c, g3 Aio and G4 da.

Does anyone know the most reliable desktop G4 system model/s to that have held up?

My 8600/300 is a tank, and trooper. The PowerBook 170 still works knock on wood... Unfortunately all the PowerBook I had like duos , even an iBook died, by 2013 and even the power supplies. Wish I had kept them intact or  known about capacitors and such. Lol
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline simplify

• Newcomer
« Reply #735 on: July 11, 2023, 08:41:44 AM »
Newbie here with an iBook G4 and an unfortunate upgrade to Mac OS 10.5.4 from OS 9 Classic, long long ago...
Now needing the OS 9 Classic for an ancient medical program, that requires classic, so I am praying this is the place to be to revert it to its former glory.  (No original OS 9 disk to be found... I looked everywhere).

Thank so much!

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #736 on: July 11, 2023, 08:56:26 AM »
Newbie here with an iBook G4
You may want to give us the exact model, but...

(No original OS 9 disk to be found... I looked everywhere).

No worries... take your pick...
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/board,62.0.html

Offline Mcdoug

• Newcomer
« Reply #737 on: August 04, 2023, 01:18:23 PM »
Hi everyone, I just found your amazing site whilst trying to get a g4 up and running. Very excited as always wanted one:) i am setting it up to run my old akai samplers with. Thanks so much for building such a fantastic community, i hope to become proficient and be able to contribute positively too!many thanks

Offline rare

« Reply #738 on: August 04, 2023, 02:28:24 PM »
Hi all,

Just joined from the UK. Recently acquired a couple of G3’s and G4’s, a bit out of my comfort zone with these machines as always been a PC fan (going back 30’s years). Never dipped my toe in to Mac waters apart from I had a first gen MacBook Air some years back.

Looking forward to trying to get these machines to work and OS installed etc.

Hopefully it won’t make me lose what remains of my hair…! -afro-

Josh

Offline Pmg

• Newcomer
« Reply #739 on: August 06, 2023, 11:47:28 AM »
Hello everyone, 8)

I am french and I just bought an old iMac G3 for 30 euros. I would like to reinstall some retro games and play on it with my son.

Regards,