Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361731 times)

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #600 on: February 21, 2020, 12:46:52 AM »
Welcome Mr. Norrland! :)

Yes, i bet everoyne of us has seent those fantasy prices on ebay often set by people who can't even spell the model name correctly. ("But look, there's one other offer for the same Performa for 150$!". I remember the days when most people were happy you'd take the old stuff from them for free to spare them the recycling.

Oh well, times change - our favorite OS does not! :)
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline dajhorn

• Newcomer
« Reply #601 on: February 29, 2020, 06:02:27 AM »
Hi all,

I have a two SE/30, a G4 Cube, and and a G4 MDD. I'm here for tech talk, and am glad to see an active community.

Offline locomostivzigreer

• Newcomer
« Reply #602 on: April 06, 2020, 05:06:56 AM »
Hello from Paris ! Me and my iBook G4 are very happy to have found you all.

;D

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #603 on: April 07, 2020, 04:25:23 AM »
Welcome welcome! The more OS9ers, so merrier! :)
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline DecoySportGame

• Newcomer
« Reply #604 on: April 17, 2020, 11:33:35 AM »
Very happy to have found this site when researching possibly installing OS 9 on a G4 Mac Mini.

Offline Jacques

• Enthusiast Member
  • Mac and SGI enthusiast
« Reply #605 on: April 26, 2020, 11:19:06 AM »
Hello members,

So pleased to have found this site, I've been a Mac user since 2002 and Amiga before that from the late 80's. I've also done some x86 Windows time while training in architecture.  My first Apple Mac was a 1Ghz G4 Tibook with 512mb ram, I saved up for 6 months for this machine and worked extra jobs and overtime at work to save up the £2,200 to buy, then 6 months later the alumininium G4 came out, but I still loved my Tibook. Having grown up in South Africa before I moved to the UK, Apple Macs were rather out of reach for the average Joe Blogs. But I always used to visit the BAT (Bartle Arts Theare) centre in Durban where I'd drool over the latest macs. In late 2008 my cat jumped on my open Tibook and snapped the hinges straight off. (Bless, he was only a kitten...and yes my cat is still around! :) )

Since then I've had a 2008 Mac Pro, 2012 Macbook Pro and more recently a 2010 Mac Pro (dual 2.93Ghz), this together with my Macbook Pro are my daily drivers and won't be replaced anytime soon...Speed, capacity, processing power and storage is all I could ask for and need.

I joined the Mac community, sadly at the end of OS 9, and the beginning of *nix era 10.X's. My exposure was mostly in the graphics and architecture side (ArchiCAD, Photoshop) but I later got into amateur photography and used my Tibook for this until I could no longer use it headless.  I then bought my 2008 Mac Pro for £1,800 brand new and used that untill 2012 when I bought my Macbook Pro as we had limited room in the place we lived.

My other IT interests include a bit of Linix here and there, but my main other interest is SGI machines. I own two very fine examples of mid to late 90's SGI workstations - a SGI Octane (mips R12000 400Mhz, VPro gfx, 1GB ram)  running IRIX 6.5.30 and my little SGI O2 running a R5000 300Mhz mips processor and alternatively, a R12000 300Mhz processor. I've also got the matching 1600FP card and SGI display to go with it. The Octane could, in the late 90's, run 8Gb of ram...quite an achievement...You would have had to take out a small mortgage to afford it though!

Roll on to 2020 and I'm looking to pick up either of the two G4 Powermacs I most covet most - A G4 Quicksilver or DP G4 MDD (not the last version released). If I could I'd like to get ArchiCAD 6 going on OS 9 and I'm also on the lookout for Nikon Capture NX, the software I got with my Nikon D50 (which I still use to this day). I used this on my Tibook before I learnt Photoshop.

Anyhow, great forum and site, look forward to reading a lot more on here.

Jacques

Offline tdksa90

• Newcomer
« Reply #606 on: April 30, 2020, 07:00:27 PM »
Hello everybody!

I'm a recording engineer and musician. From 1999-2006, I worked in a large local retail store that was exclusively Mac, and since I had a little experience, I was designated as the IT person. They set me up with a G3 mini tower, and had me designing their ads and sales flyers, updating their website and working on their sales database. By the time I left, I was rocking a 2005 G5 Power Mac with OSX Tiger.

Fast forward 15 years and I have my own recording studio. One of my regular clients has a hard drive filled with songs recorded in Pro Tools Free, and wanted to finish many of those songs. At first I tried AATranslator, an excellent program that allows one to transfer projects from one DAW to another (my day-to-day DAW is REAPER, with Logic Pro a close second). However, PT Free sessions didn't transfer correctly using AAT. I know I could probably find a copy of PT 10, but I couldn't be sure that the projects would open 100% correct. So, I decided to go back to the source!

A friend gave me a 2002 iMac Flat Panel and I got to work with the OS 9.2.2 install that's found here, as well as the copy of Pro Tools Free that's available. All of these projects are opening! I'm bouncing out straight mixes for the client now. Perfect!

I found a bunch of my backup DVDs from 2005, including backups of Quark Express and Pagemaker. I just might use this machine for more than just this Pro Tools project! Brilliant!!

Offline andy24fps

• Newcomer
Hello and thank you for having me in this forum.

Recently, I've resurrected my Roland S-7xx sampling studio and a newly acquired PowerMac G4 OS9 has been a vital part of this process.

I appreciate all of the valuable resources and experience this site provides.

Andy

Offline Kaneosaurus

• Newcomer
I'm Kane. I'm here because the Coronavirus has me stuck inside tinkering with old electronics and I have found an immense nostalgia for Mac OS 9

Offline AlistairMarric

• Newcomer
« Reply #609 on: June 16, 2020, 08:44:29 AM »
Hello, Thank you for adding me to your Forum. 
I found Mac OS 9 Lives forum out of shear frustration trying to understand and learn a new OS, having recently acquired a couple of my 'bucket list' computers; iBook g3 clamshell and powerbook g4 aluminium model, both requiring a fresh OS install and coming from a pc environment, I find apple a wonderful, strange and sometimes a little confusing world.  I want to understand how to use OS 9, it's strengths and weaknesses,
so that I can install and use with confidence one day.

Offline user2020

« Reply #610 on: June 16, 2020, 10:17:58 AM »
Hello, Im' merely here because I need a specific OMS driver that will let me use an ancient sound module editor :)

Offline CaptainXeroid

• Newcomer
Restoring Graphite 400mhz iMac
« Reply #611 on: June 26, 2020, 05:24:20 AM »
Hi, I'm Glen from Tucker, GA.  Like a lot of people, my wife & I ran out of projects during the house arrest/shutdown, so I pulled the iMac out of storage.  WAY back in 2006, a chip on the OG HD overheated and exploded.  A local shop installed an 80GB and loaded 9.2.2/OSX.  Back in 2011, we were moving out of a large rental house into a family owned condo and had to purge a LOT of stuff, including my vintage Mac collection and most of the software.  Sometime after I had reformatted the iMac's HD, I realized I did not have an OS9 disk to reinstall, and since we have 4 other OSX Macs, I didn't need the 'new' stuff on this one.  Glad I found this site & looking forward to reviving some OS9 memories.

Current Mac arsenal – Graphite 400mhz iMac, Mid 2007 2.8Mhz iMac, his & hers late 2008 MacBooks, and 2001 2.7 GHz Core i5 iMac

Previous Mac – Classic II, Performa 600, IIci, plus at least 50 others I rescued from folks who didn't know what they were including thrift stores. 8)

Offline Ian kingsbury

• Newcomer
« Reply #612 on: June 30, 2020, 01:46:19 PM »
Hi UK based I have been using macs since my plus in 1984 ,just started my own business and was looking for a desktop did the DOS thingy and then I heard about Apple since then have owned most models good and bad
But stopped at my G4 eMac with classic and 10.4.11 never owned an intel machine too much hard work.
I have a lot of early software too and will dig it out some on old Macworld discs.
64 this year and a Stonemason.

Offline Jacques

• Enthusiast Member
  • Mac and SGI enthusiast
« Reply #613 on: June 30, 2020, 01:52:42 PM »
Hi Ian, good craft (and trade) there. Also UK based here, down in good ol' Somerset.

Grew up in South Africa...not many Macs there. Came to the UK in 2002 and Macs in just about every techy shop window :)

Offline bsalazar

• Newcomer
« Reply #614 on: July 02, 2020, 12:08:59 PM »
Hi! Brently here. Just fired my old Powerbook G4 Aluminum back up. Wanting to run some of my old OS 9 games on it but can't find my OS 9 install disc. Happy to be here. Thanks for having me!
Thank you.

Brently Salazar

" 'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds" - Malaclypse the Younger

Offline deviousgeek

• Newcomer
« Reply #615 on: July 04, 2020, 05:08:48 AM »
Old school Amiga user dropping in after getting a PMG4 (MDD/FW800) going with MacOS 9 thanks to this forum. :)

Required for some software development work.

Offline hotcactus

• Newcomer
« Reply #616 on: July 30, 2020, 08:52:54 PM »
Hola. New to the group and looking forward to checking it out. Go Mac.

Offline DrNo7

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #617 on: August 01, 2020, 05:55:15 PM »
Hi everybody,

I started my Mac journey early 90's with a SE/30 and been into PPC Macs ever since (x64 Macs are missing the magic effect...).
Still scratching the itch these days with a Ti 1GHz and an Alu 12 1.5GHz.

Already thanks to people on this forums for pointers about SSD (and making me discover the JMicron 20330) and for tapping into my curiosity like back in the days with the OS 9 on the last G4s.
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)

Offline MrVitalic

• Valued Member
  • G5 for President
« Reply #618 on: August 01, 2020, 08:38:41 PM »
I'm an amateur mix engineer and also amateur electronic music producer. I'v been using x86 pc all my life but then switched to a 2006 macpro in 2016 because I was tired of reinstalling windows every 6 months because of audio dropout in my software (on a modern pc at that time). Two years ago, I got my first G5 out of curiosity, so I started exploring the possibility for modern audio production on it. To get started on absolete hardware is rough at first ahaha but now I have almost all I need. I got seduced real quick on producing music on old hardware and I dont use my macpro anymore, it is only used to pay bills. I do almost everything on my G5 now. 

I fully understand that I'm on os9lives and atm I'm looking to buy a G3 or G4 to be able to explore the possibility on os9. I never used os9 and cant wait to have a go with it (already a fan of the platinum sound effect).

Offline yotsugawa

• Newcomer
« Reply #619 on: August 01, 2020, 08:54:48 PM »
Hi from Australia!
The first Mac I got was a Blueberry iMac G3 off eBay when I was a kid. This was in 2008, so it already seemed very old when I got it. I remember being disappointed that it came with OS 9.0.1 instead of OS X, but I ended up really coming to appreciate the Classic OS. I sold it and  then had an eMac running 10.3 for a few years.
I’m a university student now, and had lost most of my active interest in computers over the years. But during lockdown I decided to acquire a few old Macs that were going cheaply, in hopes of cleaning them up, getting them running nicely, and then selling them on (hopefully for a little profit). It’s satisfying to take part in the preservation of these wonderful old machines. And through that, I’ve been inspired to revisit OS 9 properly, and explore what I missed when I was young.
iMac DV Indigo 450MHz (July 2000) — Mac OS 9.2.2
iMac G4 700MHz – Mac OS 10.3.9
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8GHz (mid 2004) – Mac OS 10.5.8