Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361519 times)

Offline mika_z

• Newcomer
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #560 on: December 11, 2018, 01:17:02 PM »
Hello everyone! I am a 34 year old PC/ Linux user, and I finally got myself an iMac g3! It is all new to me so I have lots of reading to do. Glad I found you :)

Offline Kris

• Newcomer
Introduction
« Reply #561 on: December 12, 2018, 10:33:00 AM »
Hello everyone,
I'm a new member of this great community und would like to introduce myself.
Being a self-taught musician and producer I fell in love with Macs in 2001 when I saw 'ableton live' running on a Powerbook G4 at the MusikMesse Frankfurt /Germany.
My first mac was a 2002 Powerbook G4 667 DVI that I bought used in 2003. It had a new price of around 3750€ and I paid a staggering 2100€ for it. :o
Since then it was an exciting journey and I never felt that it was a bad decision to rely on Macs.
Because I am not a fan of the worlds largest companies, it gave me mixed feelings seeing Apple grow, grow and grow even faster over the years..
I consider myself to be a fan of most Apple PCs until 2012, but never a fan of Apples policies and other products. I do not own a smart phone, but I am smart.
Certainly there are still some great current machines, but the fact that everything is glued together in recent products just makes me sick for many reasons.
Furthermore I found it hard to take and very questionable that Apple immediately stopped supporting Logic for IBM-compatible machines shortly after they bought Emagic.
I am frequently working on two Macs at the moment, a 2009 Mac Pro 8-Core 2,26GHz Xeon and a 2012 MacBook Pro 15" Hi Res with a 2,3GHz i7.
I am planning to upgrade the Mac Pro as soon as possible.
Since I know that macos9lives exists I am very excited and looking forward to get into os9 again, also making use of the Logic 6 Platinum license & dongle I bought 15 years ago. Within the last year I bought three G4s for a very low price and can't wait to have enough time to take care of them: two Dual 1,25 MDDs and a Titanium PowerBook 1,0Ghz are waiting.
I am happy that macos9lives is there to support us joining forces, learning, helping each other.
Let's not forget that not throwing away but using old stuff that is still working is also a question of sutainability, and (life) style; old things can be very inspiring for me..
macos9lives is therefore a matter of good taste in my opinion.
Thanks a lot to whoever contributes!
Cheers,
Kris

Offline pierino23

• Valued Member
« Reply #562 on: December 30, 2018, 01:56:49 PM »
Hi guys,

nice to be here with you all.
I use my Mac SE for my thesis at the university and some software projects.
Later I moved to wintel for my job. Now I'm using a MacBook Air at home with a OSX 10.13.6

BUT ... a few months ago I found my old SE in the basement, the Macbook 190 and the G3 Wallstreet 233.
I felt in love! I bought a Mac II on eBay and I started to restore them all.
I'm buying RAM, Floppy Emu, HD, PCMCIA/FC, IDE to FC ... :D

It's a nice way to spend some time in this way :) even if I lost my dexterity and I'm too slow.
I'll probably need the help and support of the community,

all the best "guys"

best
Pierfranco

Offline classicmacreborn7

• Valued Member
« Reply #563 on: January 06, 2019, 02:18:53 PM »
Hi all!

I'm new to these forums, but I sometimes post on emaculation.

I've been playing with OS9 development & emulation for a few years now.  Lately I've been working on Finder replacement called "WrapperFinder" that launches an application after startup, and issues a shutdown call when the application is quit.  It will allow you to make a seamless wrapper for an application that works much better than running a launcher in AppleScript that shuts down or using Startup Items.  It will be a lot more reliable, as Startup Items has a tendency of breaking aliases, and a replacement Finder prevents the Finder and the user from making changes to the OS and accidentally causing the app to destabilize.  It also reduces boot time- very important for a wrapper.

I've been building in Codewarrior/C and MPW.  It has to issue direct calls to the Toolbox without the Finder, so I've had my head buried in Inside Macintosh quite a bit as of late.

OS9 has become kind of an obsession for me.  I get to relive my childhood machines, dig up a bunch of old references and documentation.  I feel like an archaeologist for Macs.  When I first started playing with SheepShaver back in the day I was actually able boot into my old iMac which has been in storage for 10 or 15 years (the HDD actually lasted that long!!) and see everything back the way it was when it was when I was a kid.  After that, I was 100% hooked.

I really hope to spend a lot of time on these forums.  I've been getting back into OS9 lately.

Another one of my most recent projects is a simple set of scripts that allow communication back and forth between the guest OS (os9) and the host OS (OSX in my case, but it could be rewritten to be cross-platform quite easily).  I'll clean it up at some point and post the source files on GitHub.  It's not a whole lot of code actually.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 06:20:37 PM by classicmacreborn7 »

Offline macbruce

• Newcomer
  • I still have my first Mac SE
« Reply #564 on: January 12, 2019, 02:01:44 AM »
Found this site when I was trying to run a classic tomb raider on an imac g3. It now wants the master CD and it is around here someplace. I gotta clear out this last century apple stuff. My kids will just recycle it.

I like working with the old hardware as remembering the old technical knowledge brings back other pleasant memories.

Offline masonh

• Newcomer
« Reply #565 on: February 17, 2019, 03:56:52 PM »
Good day. I joined because I felt that there were some OS9 VST instruments that might give a different feel to the music I make. I thought it would be fun to explore these older instruments again in the context of my new, mostly analog setup.

Offline cab1787

• Newcomer
« Reply #566 on: March 24, 2019, 10:29:52 AM »
Hi all!

I'm new to these forums, but I sometimes post on emaculation.

I've been playing with OS9 development & emulation for a few years now.  Lately I've been working on Finder replacement called "WrapperFinder" that launches an application after startup, and issues a shutdown call when the application is quit.  It will allow you to make a seamless wrapper for an application that works much better than running a launcher in AppleScript that shuts down or using Startup Items.  It will be a lot more reliable, as Startup Items has a tendency of breaking aliases, and a replacement Finder prevents the Finder and the user from making changes to the OS and accidentally causing the app to destabilize.  It also reduces boot time- very important for a wrapper.

I've been building in Codewarrior/C and MPW.  It has to issue direct calls to the Toolbox without the Finder, so I've had my head buried in Inside Macintosh quite a bit as of late.

OS9 has become kind of an obsession for me.  I get to relive my childhood machines, dig up a bunch of old references and documentation.  I feel like an archaeologist for Macs.  When I first started playing with SheepShaver back in the day I was actually able boot into my old iMac which has been in storage for 10 or 15 years (the HDD actually lasted that long!!) and see everything back the way it was when it was when I was a kid.  After that, I was 100% hooked.

I really hope to spend a lot of time on these forums.  I've been getting back into OS9 lately.

Another one of my most recent projects is a simple set of scripts that allow communication back and forth between the guest OS (os9) and the host OS (OSX in my case, but it could be rewritten to be cross-platform quite easily).  I'll clean it up at some point and post the source files on GitHub.  It's not a whole lot of code actually.

Wish I was technically as adept with macs as I should be after using them for 30 years.

I was getting pretty good at dealing with mac os until osx came along, then classic, wherein there was nothing to do with the system folder any longer.  Lost all that knowledge about extensions etc.  But, I do see some familiarity and find I have a need to run the legacy software I have.

I have a program called Landesign, for surveying, which is precision coordinate geometry software with an excellent GUI.  I use it for fabrication design as well.  I'm finding there is literally nothing made that is as versatile and easy to use.  I still have a 2005 G5 that has it running, but that machine will not do a data transfer to my data collector.  I still use a 1993 powermac for that, I cross my fingers every time I boot it up.  I use kermit and it works flawlessly, but it seems not to work with machines that do not have serial ports and I've not found an alternative.

To diversify the ability to use this software I bought an 2001 macbook off of ebay and am trying to get either 10.4.1 with classic installed or 9.2.2.   No luck with what I've downloaded so far.  Don't remember where I go this, but not sure how to use it.

Mac_OS_9.2.2_Update.smi.bin

Then an update from this site.

MacOSXUpdate10.4.1.dmg

Perhaps I did not partition right or something.  I used the G5 to do that and I read the drivers are right for the task, but no go.

Hoping to find some guidance here to get things working

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #567 on: March 25, 2019, 09:52:49 AM »
Cab1787...

Please post any help you need in the right section and I am sure you will get a response:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/board,22.0.html

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #568 on: March 26, 2019, 06:19:06 AM »
A G5 should be fine to transfer everything to everything.

Offline Bo_Star

• Valued Member
« Reply #569 on: April 02, 2019, 12:56:47 PM »
Hello and Thx for Adding Me to The Group. I fist started using OS 9 on a iMac I bought in 1999. Then on a iMac I bought in Dec 2000. When OS X came out  I did n't like it So I used it till 2005. I nolonger Have the iMacs fist one burnt in a Fire and the second one The CTR went out. I've been Using a mini and a Sawtooth For Years. I haven't used the Sawtooth in 8 years But did pick up another Mini like my 05 PPC one. I used the mini till 2013 When I bought a MBA. Now I want to go Back to OS9 To use some apps for My Kurzweil and Opcode Studio 64X. My Sawtooth is Giving me some Problems atm. But My 2nd mini is Clear. and I seen a video Where a mini had native os9.2 running and this fourm has an artical on it. So here I am.

Offline kgllewellyn

• CHRP I say, CHRP!
« Reply #570 on: April 26, 2019, 12:19:24 AM »
Hello,

Thought I would post a 'hello' here. Been a long time Mac OS 9 (and Mac OS 8/System 7.x) user since I was a kid. Got a somewhat sizable Mac collection here going from the Mac 512k all the way to a Mid-2012 MBP with plenty in between!

I found this forum though testing and experimenting with the patched Mac OS ROM that allows us to now boot OS 9 on unsupported machines. Really incredible developments, I just wish I had that 15 years ago! Would have been super handy to have it for when apps didn't work under Classic on my 12" 867Mhz PowerBook G4, which ofc couldn't boot OS 9 at the time.

Anyway, just want to say thanks for setting up an awesome forum!

Offline chrom

• Newcomer
« Reply #571 on: April 28, 2019, 07:17:02 AM »
Hello
This is David from Hungary.
I have a few G4 (B&W upgraded to G4, 733 QS, 933 QS, 1,25 MDD 2003 (waiting for a donor 2x867 MDD, because of the PSU).

Used to work on a Beige G3 for years in the early 2000s, and missed that times.
From the OS X era everything much complicated. Love that times, and need to keep alive my PowerMacs.

Best

Offline moritz

• Newcomer
« Reply #572 on: April 28, 2019, 02:03:14 PM »
Hi to you all ,
I'm Maurizio " moritz " from Lucca - Italy , I'm here because I had the chance to buy old G3 and G4 for parts at a ridiculous price  just to find out that they were still working  8) , I've been a professional musician for almost 25 years but I needed to make a change so the year 2000 saw my last "exhibition" . . but music is not an option and I love her too much so thanks to technology and computers I'm now able to play and record in my room , I use MacPro 3.1 and 2.1 but I also like to go back in time and use the G3 and G4 . . this site is like a gold mine for OS 9 related softwares , my thanks and respect to all the people here that keep it alive  ;)

Offline jariseon

• Newcomer
hi all,

just bought a G4 MDD 2003 at a really reasonable price. OSX and Classic installation worked well, but no matter what i tried, could not make it to boot OS9. then burned macos9lives universal 922 cd, installed with it, and now the machine finally boots directly to OS9. that is very cool, many thanks for making the cd available!

my first mac was SE/30. i do miss old school DAWs and midi apps from the 80's and 90's, and would like to re-learn why they work(ed) so well. modern DAWs can do amazing things, but sometimes i feel they've become more like complex audio editors. looking forward to start making music again, and possibly even some retro coding. now on OS9 :)

thanks again,
jari

Offline MacFox

Hello all,

I discovered this place via a google search and I have found a lot of helpful info here, so I decided to join.  My OS 9 machines are a Power Macintosh G4 Sawtooth with a 1.5 ghz CPU upgrade and an iBook G3 500 mhz dual USB model.  Other macs I own include a Centris 650 running System 7.5.5, an SE running System 6.0.8 and a Powerbook G3 PDQ running OS 8.6.

Thanks,

MacFox

Offline jezza

• Newcomer
Morning all, quick howdy do.

Mac user since System 7.0.1 (I think) on ye olde LC475  mainly ran 7.5.5 if memory serves. .. Didn't really use Mac OS8 but lived on Mac OS9 on a 9600 for yonks after it was after it was laid to rest. (Also dual booting with OS8 an install of BeOS, just for laughs)

Currently Tiger with Classic on a Titanium G4, Snow Leopard on a slightly hard worked White PowerBook, El Capitan on a MacBook Pro with a dead internal graphics card - using an external Apple monitor , and High Sierra - on a snazzy works machine I have 'borrowed'.

I may.. if I can muster the patience, give the G4 Tiger machine the OS 9 treatment - Hence me popping by here.

Cheers folks...  see you on the board.

:)
..coming soon

Offline sirenamusic

• Newcomer
« Reply #576 on: June 22, 2019, 12:21:15 PM »
I had to re register on this website as I couldn't recall my old username or password. I just can't seem to give up my first Mac. PPC G4 MDD. I installed an SSD with IDE adapter into it and want to install a copy of OS 9.2.2 on it along with a DAW such as LP6, and an editor like FCP3. I'm using a Cinema display 22" and maybe in the future I'll also have some sound sticks. I probably should also replace the fans as they're noisy and sound like a mosquito is in the room.

Offline BohemianCoast

• Newcomer
« Reply #577 on: June 23, 2019, 08:15:18 AM »
Hi everyone. I have become the person that my mates give their old Macs to when cleaning out the garage or moving to Stockholm or whatever; I get them back to peak condition and then try to find them good homes. I currently have three Titanium G4 Powerbooks in the pile and it struck me that they all ought to be able to dual boot Leopard (using Leopard assist in two cases) and OS9. Some days later, here I am...

Thanks for a great site!

Offline ariansheets

• Newcomer
  • Curator at the National Music Museum
    • National Music Museum
« Reply #578 on: June 26, 2019, 11:56:31 AM »
Hello all, I am a curator at the National Music Museum and am here for DAW topics. I have a Mac II for which I am interested in sourcing sequencing software. It is on OS 6.0.7. Any help appreciated!

Offline resynthesis

• Newcomer
« Reply #579 on: July 12, 2019, 02:36:31 PM »
Thanks for making it possible to resuscitate 4 old G4's (2 x PB, 1 x QS, 1 x B&W) and turn them into 9.2.2 afterburners, just dropped $100 into the jvbonanno-cookie-jar. The main goal has been to reacquire the tools to edit sort-of-ancient MIDI-synths, primarily for the Yamaha VL1 and the Hartmann Neuron, but even for all the others the Diver can handle. It all works so far! Great success!