Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361521 times)

macStuff

Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #540 on: July 25, 2018, 01:59:42 PM »
d97: its great to read your intro :) good luck with your projects!

Offline P1ni0n

• Newcomer
« Reply #541 on: August 17, 2018, 05:21:36 AM »
Hi everyone and thank you for let me join.
I’m a musician (trombone player), but interested in electronic music since I can remember.
Started with a C-64, and then an Amiga 500 that got me into music, and after that an Amiga 2000 and a 1200 thats still working.
In the 2000s got my first Mac, a Powermac G4 400 that broke long time ago and that brings me here, since I have a mac mini G4 that I want to give it a try with Os9, and thinking of buying another Powermac G4 to use with my Akai S3000XL via SCSI
In the present I have my studio set up with an iMac with OSX Mavericks and logic and yes everything works fine, but where’s the fun in that?!!
Greets

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #542 on: August 17, 2018, 06:45:30 AM »

I’m a musician (trombone player)

A trombone player??? I thought you said you were a musician??? Haha... just kidding of coarse! ;D Anyone that can work one of those 'pitch approximators' is OK by Me!!

Welcome aboard! Lots of interesting action going on around here these days with the miniG4... plan on grabbing one myself.

Offline Curly

• Newcomer
« Reply #543 on: August 20, 2018, 05:24:02 PM »
Hi !

I´m Curly!

My friend Protools5LEGuy talks me about this site...

Have a couple of old G4

One dual 1Ghz QuckSilver and One 1.25 Ghz MirrorDrive

I would love to bring back to life again!!

I work in Dj´n & Music production. ( Since 92 with Amiga 500+ )

Kind Regards.

C

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #544 on: August 20, 2018, 08:24:05 PM »

One dual 1Ghz QuckSilver and One 1.25 Ghz MirrorDrive

Yes... a couple of worthy machines there! ;D

Offline Koderkev

• Newcomer
  • ELO has a Strange Magic.
« Reply #545 on: August 27, 2018, 02:27:15 PM »
Greetings, and thanks for adding me! Like @DieHard I used to work in IT and used Windows (mostly) at work. But at home, I've been an Apple guy since 1986 when I bought my //e. Prior to that I'd had a Colecovision game unit that I added the ADAM expansion to. It was my first computer. But once I got into Apple, I never looked back.
When the IIgs came out, I traded in the //e for it. But my first Mac was, like @MacTron, an LC (the "pizza box"). Over the years I've owned a Mac Plus, an SE, a 512 KE, an LC II, a blueberry iMac, a sage iMac DV, 2 G4 towers (MDD and DA), 2 Mini's (2009 and 2011), a iBook G3, and now an iBook G4! I use my current Mini for my daily machine, but just bought the G4 laptop on eBay for...$15 + $20 shipping. And the iBook is in fantastic shape. It was obviously owned by someone that loved it.
I got the iBook because I wanted to run my old OS 9 games. They had been sitting on my shelf collecting dust. I have Jack Nicklaus 4, Breakout, Firefall, Quake 2,3 & 4, and others. I'm so glad I found this site! Looking forward to getting to know you all and learn some things!
"Technology," is a word that describes something that doesn't work yet.
Douglas Adams

Offline ansil002

• Newcomer
« Reply #546 on: September 08, 2018, 06:24:33 PM »
Hello, there,

I have get powerbook g4 1.0 17"(as we knew that machine may boot os 9 on native).

So I will dive the forums deeply to get the informations.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #547 on: September 08, 2018, 08:54:36 PM »
Greetings, and thanks for adding me!

Hey Koderkev! Looks like you've been through quite a few Macs!! Welcome aboard. ;D

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #548 on: September 08, 2018, 08:58:15 PM »

I have get powerbook g4 1.0 17"

Hey there ansil002! I've got one of those PowerBook 1ghz/ 17 too and put OS9 on it. You should be able to have some fun with it! ;D

Offline CountZero

• Newcomer
« Reply #549 on: October 02, 2018, 02:20:28 AM »
Hullo,

stumbled across this board whilst trying (unsuccessfully) to locate a correct disc set for my G4 MDD DP, somehow the set I have seems to be for a single processor machine so no joy in installing anything other than X on it :(
Quite keen to get it up and running again and back to a dual-boot machine.

I've been using Macs since the late 80's in a graphic design/DTP capacity, but have not used them for the last 10yrs or so since redundancy stopped that career. Afraid most of my knowledge is well out of date or rusty.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #550 on: October 02, 2018, 07:29:27 AM »
Welcome!

Sounds very familiar. Whether you were personally  in “extended sleep mode” or “shut down completely” from the Mac realm… you most certainly qualify for the RvWGAF here (Rip-vanWinkle-Graphic-Arts-Faction).

Your MDD… a single, two-partitioned HD, or multiple HDs? (Big on OS segregation ‘round here.)

Once you’ve whichever version of OS X you prefer up and running (or even just what you have now)… download the Universal 9.2.2 and install that on a second partition… or an “alternate” HD.

Without the original Install Disc set for your MDD... under NO circumstance should you completely wipe a working OS X from that machine (unless you've got it backed up). I have done just that on a similar MDD DP in the past... and could then only install OS 9.

Universal 9.2.2 Install… here: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2109.0.html
This Must Be The Place

Offline Dave 23

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #551 on: October 02, 2018, 01:29:26 PM »
Hiya's-  I'm a guitar player (don't laugh..)
          After buying a Bondwell B200 "laptop" (suitcase more like)and managed to run Voyetra I was hooked. I built my first (of several)  PCs early 90's- 3megs ram!
   (I remember waiting hrs for an AOL page to load.. :) Had a small windfall late 90's and splashed out on a 500MHz G3 Powerbook (Pismo?) my first Mac- never looked back.
     Having been on Logic (on PC) since v2.4 I was in heaven. LAP 6.4.1? ...OMFG. Not so happy when I upgraded to Al power book/ OSX. and discovered I'd been locked out of my software investments...grrr. Honeymoon over. Upgraded periodically over the years, I now have an eMac 700MHz, Al Powerbook G4 1Ghz,
  2006 MBP 17" C2D, 2007 MacPro Quad Core (My current DAW), a dead 13'MBP, a dead 2007 MBP C2D 17", a dead 2007 C2D Mac mini, a dead 2007 20" iMac,
   a 2007 24" iMac (typing this on) and my latest treasure- a 1.42 G4 Mac mini running ..OS 9.2.2...flawlessly!
     I just can't seem to pass up an old Mac- half the above machines were being thrown out, I only really use: the 24" iMac for internet, the Mac Pro for DAW.
  UNTIL I was given the G4 mini...running LAP .6.4.1+ Rebirth, slaved to my DAW running Reason 10.
   Decided to buy up any Mac mini G4's I find for the future...

Very grateful to everybody who's made this forum possible it's goldmine of resources and expertise!

Cheers y'all.

p.s. I just installed Win XP via Virtual PC 6 on the Mini G4 Os9 machine. Was effortless...compared to the two fruitless weeks spent trying to (unsuccessfully) install on either current mac via Deathcamp. Modern Apple sux, imho.

Offline vid1616

• Newcomer
« Reply #552 on: October 02, 2018, 02:00:07 PM »
Hello

Glad to be a 'new' member to this forum. Can't believe I just found you, (while searching for a CZ101 editor). A quick blurb about me. Musician. Audio engineer, (home studio). Electronics enthusiast. Love gear, (especially old lofi gear...lots of Casios, PAIA, etc). Avid reader of manuals and Tape Op magazine. Enjoy walks on the beach or cat litter boxes....whichever is closer. Have a smattering of older software for OS9.2, such as DAWs bias Deck 2.7.1 & 3.0 and Peak-le; Emagic Logic Express; Arturia Storm plus a few others. Also a number of utility disks; Disk Warrior, Toast, etc. Have my original OS 9 disk and still have an up and running G4 PowerPC. My main computers are primarily circa 2008 iMac and MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo both running OS 10.6.8, although they are getting a little bumpy on the internet train.

You can listen to 'some' of my music at https://www.reverbnation.com/billman
(Desperately needs updating...)

Anyway....glad to be here. Feel free to drop me a line.

macStuff

« Reply #553 on: October 02, 2018, 03:29:42 PM »
Have my original OS 9 disk and still have an up and running G4 PowerPC. My main computers are primarily circa 2008 iMac and MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo both running OS 10.6.8, although they are getting a little bumpy on the internet train.

i still use a 2008 imac (6gb ram) and MBP Core2Duo 2010 (16gb ram)
both running mavericks 10.9.5
im just looking into upgrading the wifi adapters to support 802.11AC protocol.
i have been using them wired to wireless pods provided to me by my isp made by plume/sagemcom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RJz37Av73I www.sagemcom.com/press-events/press-release/detail-view/news/sagemcom-and-plume-partner-to-offer-an-adaptive-self-optimising-home-wi-fi-solution-to-broadband-se/

great machines still!
but i think i will go out and get 2014-2018 machine very soon.
new + old computers are great. if u are skilled + versed in all the info + possessing the software + hardware required to make proper use of them that is.. (easier said than done)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #554 on: October 03, 2018, 08:24:24 AM »

I just found you, (while searching for a CZ101 editor)

Still have a few CZ's around here someplace... a CZ5000, CZ-1 and a sampling drum machine RZ?... not sure about those numbers tho! Haven't done any midi in quite awhile but have been threatening to hook all that stuff up again, as soon as my 50 gallon drum of IBProfin arrives!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline marco22

• Newcomer
« Reply #555 on: October 16, 2018, 02:38:01 PM »
hello to all!
thank you for letting me into this friendly environment.

My name is Marco and i like to make music and build stringed instruments.

In the past i quite didn't like computers, until somebody showed me they could be used for music making, much like a multitrack recorder.
From that moment on i was hooked. Unfortunately the only computers i could get my hands on were win98 and the like, with no dedicated sound card and very little ram,
and to hear about how wonderful macs are at this things made me even more frustrated.
I am by no means a geek or expert, in fact i have been using windows and mac's in the modern way, without knowing much at all.
Last year i came across a G5, intel based, it runs also OS9 in classic mode, so i hope to learn something around here.

Offline mhelin

• Newcomer
« Reply #556 on: October 22, 2018, 11:45:45 AM »
Hello all! Hacking with all old hardware and software, nothing special except that music apps and DAWs are my main interest.

Offline MacJay

• Newcomer
  • Old Mac Guy
« Reply #557 on: November 07, 2018, 12:27:22 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm MacJay, and I have been working with Macs since the mid 1980s. I have to say, this site is great! You guys have worked really hard to provide a lot of excellent resources to those of use who still use and love OS 9.

Thanks, it's great to be here!

MacJay

Offline radicaldreamer

• Newcomer
  • Software/web app dev
« Reply #558 on: November 18, 2018, 06:53:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

Like many of you, my first machine was an Apple (II). I have fond memories of gaming on Macs in elementary school and playing Spaceward Ho! and SimCity.

I ended up using DOS in high school and programmed music using sequencers (Impulse Tracker, Modplug). I went through a Windows phase, for gaming, then turned to Linux because it made using a computer fun again.

I missed out on a lot of Mac culture which many of you have, experiences with Mac OS 8/9, as I only started using Macs about 8 years ago with OS X. Which I also turned away from and went back to Linux (installed Linux on my white Macbook) because of the software community and that I could make using a computer fun again by changing the icons, background, window dressing, etc. But I really appreciate the design aesthetics of the older Macs -- I often have dreams where I'm using some kind of desktop computer with a form factor that looks like a classic "pizza box" Mac.

I do not have any desire to buy a "modern" Mac as the OS experience has fallen to unacceptable standards, in my opinion, and the prices are insulting. I've collected and read books on Apple's design guidelines, including other UX / UI books, and Apple no longer follows its own design spirit (in my opinion).

I do have an iPhone, because I don't know how to break the OS, and it reliably does what I want it to do, with very good battery life.

I recently purchased a tangerine iBook G3 (standard config) and intend to do application development for Mac OS 9. My main expertise is with Python, so I will probably start with Lua and work backwards to C. I am sure I'm in for a world of hurt and steep learning curve ;) I think one of my first apps will be a blogging app that can connect to Wordpress and use other APIs. Another would be a software repository application / free "app store" where users can download classic programs, in addition to other free software for Macs.

I'm a software developer by day, with a background in arts and have worked for a number of startups. I just started a new job so I will probably not start on app development until the new year.

Thanks everyone for creating this community. Looking forward to being part of it.
Re-use what we have and make it better.

Offline Europa

• Veteran Member
  • Eccentric Electronic Musician
    • Europa's Macintosh Mansion
« Reply #559 on: November 19, 2018, 05:37:43 PM »
Hello! :D

Thank you for approving my account. I'll be honest in that I had never really done a whole lot with Mac OS 9 and earlier until a few years ago when I found a Power Mac G4 Digital Audio at a garage sale. After that I was hooked!    ;D

I use it whenever possible and have found that it has come in very handy when trying to play older video games and run older software. I'd like to eventually get a Mac OS 9 DAW set up, but that is not a reality at this point in time.

I look forward to many fun times to come on this forum!  :D
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio (733 MHz, 1.5 GB RAM)
Mac Mini G4 (1.42 GHz, 1 GB RAM)
iBook G3 Dual USB (500MHz, 640MB RAM)

For those interested in 70s and 80s inspired electronic music, here are my SoundCloud profiles:
https://soundcloud.com/user-385492180
https://soundcloud.com/europa9