Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361535 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #520 on: April 06, 2018, 05:29:41 PM »
we have two options. beeing a subject of remote surveillance or go back to the stone age.
since it is a stone age with nuendo, melodyne, max, sc, kyma and photoshop, it is easy to find the right decision.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #521 on: April 06, 2018, 07:55:19 PM »
I ordered an mSATA SSD and the adapter needed, in order to turn the TiBook 867Mhz into a shock-proof laptop.

Good choice, but mSata to IDE runs a little hot... but so does the legacy hard drive

macStuff

« Reply #522 on: April 10, 2018, 07:55:13 PM »
msata's get hot? ???
how? theres no moving parts?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9UP3HB9684&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCAMKPL-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCAMKPL-PC-_-pla-_-Accessories+-+Hard+Drive-_-9SIA9UP3HB9684&gclid=CjwKCAjwwbHWBRBWEiwAMIV7E4660P05fzevgBKwRsU8WgMc-LvzEoqNBVkaStIqVaYrYPMZVj5bYxoC8vkQAvD_BwE

i attached some photos of what i think he was using??
so diehard; are u saying u have done a similar solution, and that heat was a problem??

1. Large storage capacity (8GB)

2. Easy installation

3. Improve boot up and application load times

4. High-speed SATA 6Gb/s (SATA III) interface

5. Backward compatible to SATA 3Gb/s (SATA II)

6. Withstand extreme shock and vibration

7. Support DDR3 I/O interface

8. Power management supported

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #523 on: April 11, 2018, 06:52:58 AM »
Welcome, MacNewbie! :)

I've been using a mix of Windows and Linux for years now, but recently a friend gave me a Tandy 1100FD laptop: 10Mhz NEC V20 chip akin to 8086; with MSDOS 3.3 in ROM along with the Tandy DeskMate apps, with 640KB of RAM.

Ah, THAT processor. I like it as a nice reminder of the fact that different processors at the same clock speeds can still achieve far different performance levels! (Reasons varying for each case.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEC_V20 "The chip featured much more than the 29,000 transistors of the simpler 8088 CPU, ran at 5 to 10 MHz and was around 30% faster (application dependent) than the 8088 at the same clock speed, primarily due to faster effective address calculation, along with faster loop counters, shift registers and multiplier."

What a revelation!  I couldn't type faster than the computer could handle and text on screen was snappy.

I know what you mean. It makes me curious enough to make me want to obtain one of such machines with such responsiveness! You might want to one day own an Apple IIe, then! https://danluu.com/input-lag/ (Or maybe even an iPad Pro 10.5" pencil, then, I guess. Especially if jailbroken, with terminal access & everything!)
I sure would like one of those for myself, even. Though somehow I don't think that will ever happen. ;D

Between this, and the realization that all modern hardware and software is compromised (they can do remote surveillance on you), I decided that a decent Mac notebook running MacOS9 would be the right solution for most of my tasks. If I need to I can run Windows or OSX to have a modern browser.  There is just SOOOOO much cruft and wasted CPU cycles and RAM space taken up by new stuff.

I commend the OS 9 choice! But while spying is apparently missing on the hardware level, especially on the processor, OS 9 itself is old enough and certainly was popular enough to probably draw enough of NSA & Co.'s attention to find exploits in the OS and keep quiet about them to maintain their surveillance, meaning an air-gapped computer is quite possibly the only true solution to the problem. (Avoiding Intel, AMD and even certain ARM processors is already one big huge step, though!)
Still, there are billions of many other reasons to use OS 9, nonetheless. :D

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #524 on: April 11, 2018, 09:28:15 AM »
All OWC and other brands that I know of that are legacy Notebook PATA/IDE SSD in any case (that looks like the same size as a notebook HD) are actually mSata with an adapter inside, they get a little hot, but not as hot as a mechanical hard drive.  Normal SATA SSDs run cold, I just wanted to point out that these get almost as hot as a mechanic drive if they are writing a lot of data for those that think they are "cold" like a SATA SSD

Offline afewmacs

« Reply #525 on: April 14, 2018, 04:21:29 PM »
hi,

Thank you for letting me join you here.

i stumbled across this site on a few occasions in the the last few weeks.

I was googling re DAW issues.

Introduction.

I live in Germany.

I was once upon time a free lance soundman, part owner of a recording studio and also did live gigs, you know the dudes in the middle of the audience at concert twiddling and tweaking so your body quivers like a jelly and tries to make the experience sound good. The studio is no longer necessary, anyone can do it in their bedroom these days or even on their smartphone. Mr jobs & Mr Gates have an awful lot to answer for, I do enjoy the possibilities of Logic X 10.4, even if you HAVE to upgrade the OS to 10.12 to use it.

Strange thing is though 6.4.3 on OS9 works just as well and is easier to use.

after the 2" MCI and mixer plus loads of hardware etc, a customer asked me to organise a studio and teach him how to use it in his cellar, so phase 2 began. 2 black face adats and a 24/8 mixing console, periphery + A performa 430 with Logic notator 1.7, my first experience with a mac and midi, there followed a steep learning curve to get that together and keep it in sync, A Motu midi express I think was used to keep everything together.

While all of this was going on I was interested in the developing audio recording to Mac, i had been in a shop and seen I think a Quadra with protools, mega expensive and at the time I thought very limited, maybe a year later, Logic is there with audio, bought the second audio dongle and a 7600, with a Korg 1212 (adat in and out)

as time went by i found a cheap PC 5400, 44k audio and i could watch TV, go online (whatever happened to AOL ?) and generally have a real good time with it, also put an RME adat card in the PCI slot, macs and music were here to stay.

a few more macs down the line, the 7600 got a G3 processor, current machines

the 2 above

PPC 7300, given to me by another student when he moved on to a Power Mac G4 dual 500.

iMac DV (the 1st mac I used that could realistically edit video and render) this was my daughters 16th birthday present, she gave it back to me a few years ago, couldn't bear to let this cutie out of the family, still in its box.

mac mini  G4 1.25 another give away wasn't working so the couple bought a new one, I fitted a new drive and ram, now running on Tiger, one that could be booted into OS9 from what i read here

dual 867 MDD, a magnificent machine !! so good I got another

dual 1,25 FW800 oops not so good or maybe now

+ 4 i7 4 core Intel in various shapes and sizes.

I am now retired, and have time to play with all this good stuff.

Many forums tell me I am using some ships anchors, Yamaha 02R with yes you guessed by now 3 ADAT cards and a HD24 hardly used from the last studio partnership, Akai sampler, master keyboards and lots of I/O cards and midi interfaces, maybe could have helped some people about 4 years ago

I am cheating right now using Safari with OSX 10.12

I f you guys don't cheat I am sure you are not using Netscape or dare i mention IE the only options I had in the actual OS9 era.

I read about classilla, is that what you guys use to communicate ?

thanks for bearing with me, see you all agin soon. I will find a suitable avatar and sort that some other time
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:59:54 PM by afewmacs »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #526 on: April 14, 2018, 05:44:47 PM »
hi & welcome.

yes, classilla is what hopefully everyone uses when he is on mac os 9. other browers are almost useless today.

though i´d doubt that many peope really use MacOS9 to regulary browse the web, it is more an additional option, which is nice to have. for many things online you need at least 10.9 now, since firefox for 10.8 (not to speak of safari) stopped certificate support at some point.

i am using MacOS9 for 90% of my audio work, and some 10.4. and 10.7 for other tasks. since even 10.7 is behind windows - and because of our german electricity fees - i am using mostly a windows laptop to browse the web for some 3 years.

so dont feel like a cheater, at the moment it is still legal to use other things than MacOS9. (this might change when we take over the world government)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Otacon

• Newcomer
  • On an adventure unlike anything on your planet.
« Reply #527 on: April 17, 2018, 02:51:34 AM »
Hi all

Thanks for approving my account.

I got here by having a near-two decade long love affair with old DSP cards, namely the Korg Oasys PCI.

A few years back I found one (again) on Ebay and promptly snatched it up. It lay dormant for a while and I eventually had an old XPC Shuttle case modified to accept the card.

But as anyone familiar with the card knows, the golden ticket for this thing is the development tool named SynthKit, which was only available on the Mac OS platform.

What happened next is that it sat dormant for a year or two whilst we had a couple of kids. I was left some money by way of an inheretence during this period, so I thought WTH, lets buy an old Mac.

I was enamoured with G4 systems when they came out, but had to stick by ye olde Intel platforms for various reasons. After first seeing one on a poster in my college years, I now am sat next to what I believe to be a "Quicksilver" system.

My plan was to use it as some sort of spectacular hyper-rack, by installing my Oasys and my Creamware Pulsar in the same box. It didn't quite work out that way, since Sonic Core released v5.1 of their software. I don't think they have OSX sorted yet, but it was quite a funny email conversation I had with them about getting v3 or v4 working on OS9. They thought I was nuts.

(And I probably am.)

Anyway, I got the Oasys working, loading program's via the software and then controlling the device via my MIDI setup. Despite many attempts with various programs, discs and hacky solutions, I have yet to get the G4 to output any sound, apart from what comes out of the speaker on the front.

A year or two has passed and my setup has been lying dormant, but change is on the horizon. There is some voice work I need to do and my Mrs has ordered me to the attic area with all my gear. I would like to bring the G4 kicking and tunefully screaming into that work, alongside the Oasys. I know it is more than capable of being a bit of a beast for audio work. I use Ableton 9.7 on the PC - some v4 love on the G4 would be a fine thing indeed.

(The noise of the thing is another issue. And it doesn't seem to be an easy fix to quieten the bugger.)

Never used OS9 before this purchase a couple of years back, but I used some of the public threads here to guide me to getting it running. This forum is an invaluable resource. And it is a great OS from what I've seen thus far. I can see why it was highly thought of, especially compared to the competetion at the time.

With this "move", I thought it might be useful to actually register with you lovely folks and the community here. I can't say I can contribute much expertise (beyond my own experiences with OS9 as a relative newbie), but happy to help if and where I can.

Cheers peeps

macStuff

« Reply #528 on: April 18, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
cheers! great long intro posts! what an epic thread this is  8)
87000 views + counting!  ;D

Offline trag

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #529 on: April 27, 2018, 12:56:42 PM »
It's great to find this site.   I've been around and active for a while.   I tried OSX for a while, and I've been using Windows or Linux at work since the early 90s, but I feel as others here do;  nothing has the elegance that System 5 - System 9 had.

I'm not sure how many remember, but during the development of the Macintosh, Apple wrote a book called the "Macintosh Human Interface Guidelines".  This book was built on careful consideration and experimentation to determine what actually works fastest, easiest, and most comfortably for human users.  For many years, Apple stuck pretty closely to those principals.   I think that had a great deal to do with why the old Systems were so wonderful, and why, as they forgot all about the Human Interface Guidelines, the new OSXs are so "Meh".

My Mac history:

Back in '87 my room mate had a Mac 128K that had been upgraded to a 512KE with a 2MB RAM upgrade and a SCSI port daughter card.   He kept it in the living room where all three of us could use it.

In '90 another friend left me his Plus and IWII in his will.

Around '92 I bought seven Outbound Laptop Model 125s at the CompuAdd going out of business sale.  Sold most of them, but kept one. 

https://www.prismnet.com/~trag/Outbound/

Around '94 I bought a IIci at a police auction.

I've been active in Mac Fora since the early 90s.  First on UseNet in the comp.sys.mac.* hierarchy.  Then on PowerWatch, LEMLists, DealNews (when they had a forum), XLR8yourmac.com (ditto), and most recently on 68kmla.org.

I authored an article on converting the Adaptec 2940UW for PCs into a PowerDomain 2940UW for  Macs which was published on XLR8yourmac.com.   

Another article on Marc Schrier's Clock Chipping Home Page about converting the 66MHz Turbo601 to 96MHz.   

A variety of small guides on moving the Umax S900 (or J700) logic board into ATX accomodations.  One of which is on Kennedy Brandt's SuperMac Insider site.

In the early 2000s I cloned a bunch of Rev. C Beige G3 ROM modules (laid out circuit boards, programmed and soldered chips) for people with Rev. A ROMs (no slave support).  Incidentally creating a pinout for the Apple ROM module used from the PMX100 through the Beige G3, including all X500, X600, and 7200.

A few years later I built a bunch of 16MB SIMMs for the Mac IIfx.

At one point I tried and failed to create an adapter to let Macintosh CPU cards be used in the ANS (Apple Network Server).   Might take another hack at it some day, but the X500 CPU socket connector is impossible to find.

Lately, (last decade) my projects have been stalled with child rearing, home-owning, baseball coaching, and similar real life stuff.

After a couple of decades of being a die hard Mac user at home, OSX made me so indifferent (and Windows improved enough) that I now use Win7 laptops for home internet access.   The main machine at my desk at home is still a Umax S900 with volumes for System 7.6.1, 8.6 and 9.1.   And I  check email with Classilla.

I have two FW400 MDDs, a single 1.25GHz and a dual 1.25GHz.   And an 800MHz 17" G4 iLamp, which were the last machines in their classes to run System 9.

I also have a G4 Mini on which I'm looking forward to installing System 9.

My only OSX machines, at this point are some Dell Latitude laptops which run OSX thanks to https://osxlatitude.com/

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #530 on: April 28, 2018, 07:54:12 AM »
Sounds like you're in pretty deep there trag!! ;D ;D

Offline Krysta

• Newcomer
  • Hi!
Hey, I'm mostly an artist and a gamer.  :)

My first computers were an Apple //e, inherited from my mom, and a 286 later 386sx, upgraded so we could get on the Internet.  Oh the excitement of 14.4k and Mosaic in 1994. :)

I inherited an LC 575 from a school sale, and later convinced our parents to buy a Fruity iMac at the turn of the century.  OS9 is still my favorite OS ever, and I used to use it with MIDIGraphy for my MIDI sequencing stuff, until I was forced to move and have no space to set up a workstation.  Currently sloughing with music on Windows :)

Still have the iMac and set it up for gaming every once in a blue moon.  The LC 575 has long since departed from this world.

Nice to meet you all. :)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Currently sloughing with music on Windows :)

We feel for ya!! ;D ;D

macStuff

if your doing music on windows;
make sure you check out Cakewalk by Bandlab
Cakewalk Sonar purchased by another company and pricing model changed to FREE!
i'm actually really impressed with it

https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-by-bandlab-press-release/

Offline kimpira

• Newcomer
hi! I recently dug my old grape imac out of the garage and started fixing it up. It's now got a 60gb SSD and 512MB of memory. Now I'm looking for other cool things to do with it!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
hi! I recently dug my old grape imac out of the garage and started fixing it up. It's now got a 60gb SSD and 512MB of memory. Now I'm looking for other cool things to do with it!

Excellent!! Poking around here should give you LOTS of ideas! ;D

Offline DevEd

• Newcomer
« Reply #536 on: July 19, 2018, 12:05:08 PM »
Hello, my name is Edward, but you may call me DevEd. I've been around Macs since I was a kid. I don't think I've really used Mac OS 9 specifically (most of the Macs when I was in school ran OS X, with the exception of a few older machines which ran System 7 I think) but I am looking to change that :)

I currently own an iMac G4, a Mac Mini G4 (I think) and a PowerMac G5. Wish I could install OS 9 on the G5 :/ guess Classic will have to do for now...

Unfortunately I don't think I have much else to say in my introductory post, other than I look forward to seeing what I can do with OS 9. Maybe I'll take a crack at some OS 9 programming, who knows?

EDIT: I have no idea if this is the right place, if it isn't can a mod please put this post in the right place?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:10:23 PM by DevEd »
My current projects: [none at the moment]

"There are 2 hard problems in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-1 errors." - Unknown

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #537 on: July 19, 2018, 09:49:05 PM »
I have no idea if this is the right place?

You're in the right place now DevEd!! ;D ;D

Offline TheGrandPubaa

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #538 on: July 21, 2018, 10:02:57 PM »
Hi fellow Mac enthusiasts.

I'll do the tl;dr version of my history with the Macintosh. iMac G3 600mhz in 2003 was my first Mac I bought on eBay for $600. Parents got me an iBook G4 1.2ghz in 2004 that I used for some 5+ years but is currently somewhat in pieces and in an unknown state of functionality. In 2009/2010, I bought a Macbook Pro 2.66ghz C2D I used as my daily driver and Final Cut workstation for years and I still keep running as my iTunes library for the moment, but it has several problems and is feeling slow and tired. I've somewhat transitioned to a Dell PowerEdge T310 as my daily driver that I picked up for $20 dollars sans HDD and which I somewhat souped up with 4.5 TB of HDD space, a compatible video card, sound device, upgraded CPU(3GHZ Xeon), and 12 GB of RAM.

With that out of the way, I sort of caught the OS 9 bug again since I didn't have a whole lot of chance to use it back when I had my iMac G3 since OS X Panther was still current and supported and I couldn't even boot it up with my iBook G4. So, I agonized over which inexpensive OS 9 compatible Mac to grab that would satisfy - at least for the moment - my urge to play with OS 9 more directly. I've been smitten by the iMac G4 ever since I first saw it in a commercial, but the performance and iffy OS 9 compatibility between models, not to mention the price overall, gave me pause. I thought about trying to find a deal on one of the tower Macs, but I didn't want to spend over $100 initially on an otherwise pointless(speaking of practical usage in 2018) endeavor, particularly with my choices being a solid but slow tower like the Sawtooth or the faster but loud and less reliable MDD.

I settled on a Mac Mini 1.25ghz for around $50 with a 1GB ram stick. This seemed to resolve the price/performance quandary nicely, and since it is now possible to boot what appears to be a pretty stable version of OS 9, my hope is that it can hold me over while I decide whether to pursue building a collection of other Macs. I think I want to try using it for games, obviously, but also perhaps some lighter productivity; maybe even Photoshop work or tinker around with an old version of Final Cut Pro. Any sort of semi-practical use for the hardware that I can shoehorn in would be great and wouldn't make me feel like I was wasting money pursuing buying more OS 9 compatible Macs, haha. I'm looking forward to diving in when it arrives by the end of this week.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:13:11 PM by TheGrandPubaa »

Offline d97

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #539 on: July 24, 2018, 12:20:00 PM »
I feel that this is my third "go around" for OS9.  I used OS9 back when it was "the" MacOS ... running a G3 Beige 300 MiniTower that was eventually upgraded with a Sonnet G4 chip.  I am a hobbiest musician and was primarily running Digital Performer using an Emagic Audio card via ASIO with a handful of hardware rackmounted synths.  I loved Bitheadz Unity DS-1 and Retro AS-1 as soft synths.

Those two synths and the sudden availability of cheap 80s and 90s synths on craigslist were responsible for my second "go around" in 2010 - I dug up a G4 from somewhere and successfully rebuilt my OS9 recording system - only this time I had a whole bunch more synths to manage using FreeMidi.  It seemed as though there wasn't much of a community at the time and, for whatever reason, I stopped using the system shortly after I rebuilt it.  That particular G4 is long gone but I did pull the hard drive and kept it around.  That time seems like a bit of a golden age for 90s / early 2000s hardware - I remember picking up used 2408s, digi001s and other high end audio cards for almost nothing.  Unfortunately, I didn't keep much of it and I actually have no idea where most of it went.  (I did keep most of the synths, though).

A couple of weeks ago, I was bitten again by the synth bug after finding a rackmount Roland M3R (basically an M1 in a box) for $60.  Since then, I have been scouring craigslist and adding the odd synth here and there.  I managed to acquire a G4 400mhz (yeah, I'm looking for something with a little more power) and pulled my harddrive from 2010 out and popped it in.  It booted up right away and now I'm back in business with Digital Performer, Unity DS-1 and Retro AS-1.  I also have a Logic Pro (?) or at least a 6.4.3 xskey and think that I want to get back into Sample CDs and the EXS24.   I found that I still had my 2408 and have decided that, no matter how much my interests change, I am keeping all the stuff this time. 

I am really glad that this site is here and, although I have only scratched the surface of the information that's here, I really appreciate all the knowledge that's here.

D.