Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361667 times)

Offline Sweep

Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #480 on: October 12, 2017, 12:02:56 PM »
Hi Gary & DA,

Don't worry about reminding me to back things up as sometimes the most obvious things are the ones that we forget to do.
Fortunately the scanner driver and the Aurora software are freely downloadable from the manufacturer's site. These files have extensions .hqx if that seems right?
I suppose my first question should be ...should I post my question here in the introductions sections or start a new thread elsewhere?
My second question, wherever I post it, will be how do I identify and make a back-up of Aurora, the scanner driver, and whatever part of OS9 is on my machine? :-)

...Sweep

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #481 on: October 13, 2017, 01:47:31 AM »
Greetings, I just resurrected a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet of mine after a hard disk failure and, having lost my original Mac OS CDs, I just was able to get things back to work better than ever thanks to Mac OS 9 Lives' latest universal Mac OS 9.2.2 install CD.

Following its readme's suggestion, I registered and dropped by to say hello. :)

Brief history about myself: Having been born surrounded by Macs thanks to my family, I never understood the world being surrounded by "PCs" for their relative incompetence in regards to UX, overall lack of performance, stability & consistency, but of course, as I grew up, I learnt of the obvious price factor... And many other factors that lead people to all sorts of paths in regards to computing.

I am completely agnostic towards all forms of hardware and software, in the sense that I work with whatever I have to to accomplish any given task, but when given an equally-sound choice, I tend to favor libre software and hardware (at least to a certain degree), and PowerPC Mac hardware & software. Particularly... you guessed it: Mac OS 9.2.2.

My wet-dream is to have a fully-upgraded & maxed-out Quad Core G5. (I know, they can't boot OS 9, at least not without yet-to-be-seen hacking, but ya know). I also greatly consider getting 2 specific G4 models to have the best OS9 experience possible.

Random trivia: My speech voice used for Mac OS 9 is configured, before reading out warnings, to say "Holy fucking shit!". So even when I encounter an error... I'm pleased. Haha.

Nice to be with you all! Mac OS 9 Lives!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #482 on: October 13, 2017, 06:54:55 AM »

My speech voice used for Mac OS 9 is configured, before reading out warnings, to say "Holy fucking shit!". So even when I encounter an error... I'm pleased. Haha.

LOVE this!! ;D

Offline flemmingsa

« Reply #483 on: November 08, 2017, 12:01:59 PM »
Hi. I am Flemming from Denmark

I've been using macs since the Mac Mini in about 2009, but have been fascinated by them for much longer. Grew up on Commodore computers though...
My way into os9 goes through an AKAI S3000XL sampler i acquired at some point. That made me interested in the MESA software for editing the sampler, so I started looking for a mac with scsi. Initially I wanted to run System 7, but then i found this forum.
I also like to use Rebirth, Sounddiver and some of the NI instruments.

I have already gotten lots of help on setting up the Radeon card :-)
Thanks for that!

At the moment this is my system:

Power Macintosh 7600
MacOS 9.1
Radeon 7000
Steinberg ST24/96
Acard IDE thingy
Emagic amt8
Cinema Display

macStuff

« Reply #484 on: November 13, 2017, 08:57:58 PM »
A few years ago,got DA and MDD Machine.Because I felt sad that was sell too cheap.DA and MDD active even now as for the create music.
When I am using MacOS9,have a peaceful mind.Then feel very nostalgic like Came back to the hometown.
Anyway,I think that Classic Mac had many Innovative softwares.It's useful a lot for me even now.

thanks for sharing Hiro ;D

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #485 on: November 13, 2017, 09:51:25 PM »
Yes, what happened with Hiro? One opening post and then pffft, gone. And after leaving the following gem: When I am using MacOS9, have a peaceful mind.
How much nearer perfection can one get in summation? Come back Hiro!
This Must Be The Place

Offline ominousred

• Newcomer
  • Mac Tech
    • You Know Joe
YOU KNOW JOE
« Reply #486 on: November 16, 2017, 01:24:32 PM »
Hello!

A good friend of mine sent me here after I posted a picture of my old G3 Beige Mac Desktop Rollerball Mouse.

The only computers I have ever personally bought were Macs.

I currently support a small office of about 40 Mac users after leaving a corporation that had a couple thousand PC users and about 50 MAC users.

I love everything about the Mac and it's workflow and ecology. I am upgrading to an iPhoneX to study that experience and workflow along side my two workstations. I use an iMac in the office and a Mini at home. I was using a MacBook Pro but I gave that up to an associate.

My goal for 2018 is to get all my old Mac's up and running for my own personal Mac Museum. And each machine will be capable of running some form of MAME Emulation.

I try to keep good notes on my personal development blog and I will be hitting up the knowledgeable in this community for much needed information. I will see what I can find and maybe contribute where I can.

HELLO!!!
youknowjoe.com

Offline Rokit

• Newcomer
« Reply #487 on: November 28, 2017, 01:47:45 PM »
Hi,

Greetings from Belgium.

Dusted off my 1999 EMU ESI4000 sampler, added SCSI2SD and microtech USB-SCSI. Want to run a vintage OS on IMAC retina.

Anyone else tried this? Any suggestions are welcome.

Best regards

Offline Naiw

• Veteran Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #488 on: November 28, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »
Greetings from Sweden.

Been using Macs since 1992 (in parallel with pretty much every other system), but Macs always been my prefered system at home. So had pretty much at least one Mac per platform, of the top of my head: SE/30, Powerbook 230 Duo, Centris 610, Powerbook Duo 2300, Performa 6320, PowerMac G4 (Yikes), PowerMac G5/1.8 Uni, PowerMac G4 QS2002, PowerMac G5 Quad, Macbook Pro penryn, Macbook Pro sandy bridge, Macbook Pro mid 2014.

Switched from Mac OS 9 to Linux (fulltime) around 1999, Switch ”back” to OS X around 2003, been running OS X since on my macs.

Programmer/System engineer/Architect by trade, Ironically today focusing .NET/Windows primary.

Offline tooloudtoowide

• Newcomer
« Reply #489 on: December 01, 2017, 01:54:35 AM »
Greetings from Poland,

my name is Marcin and I own Macs from 2000 starting from Pismo G3/400, BondiBlue iMac G3, then thru G4 Cube, iMac G4 desklamp, G4 MDD, G5, iBook G4, Powerbook G4, Powerbookpro (iIntel i5), iMac 21" Intel, new iMac 5k... so whole road on "new world Macs". Unfortunately only iMac G4 desklamp stayed with me (but this is G4 700 so booting easy from MacOS9) from the old ones. A few years ago I have bought Macintosh Classic - love it and it still works :) I have purchased also Mac mini G4 (1.42) to have something small to play with... Amiga OS4 :) but also I want this one to be bootable from MacOS9... and this is how I have arrived here. Cheers!

Offline 360alaska

• Newcomer
« Reply #490 on: December 03, 2017, 12:28:30 AM »
Greetings from Texas...

Offline Sinthoid

• Newcomer
« Reply #491 on: December 04, 2017, 12:00:04 PM »
Hello, I am a aspiring producer currently in college learning music composition, performance, and engineering. I was probably born around the same time as OS9, so this is actually a brave new world for me. I plan on buying a cheap rig soon to run Logic 6.4.3 as well as some other standalone editors and processors, to add some extra sound design potential to my main windows rig. Before I jump in I plan on doing a lot of research on this forum. Pleased to meet you all.

Offline laylow

• Newcomer
« Reply #492 on: December 09, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »
Hey everyone, new member here.

My first computer was an Apple IIe, and not long after that, we got a Mac Plus, with a very noisy used 20 MB external hard drive.  My dad bought a Centris 650 in 1993 to run his business on, and since then, I've been through tons of Macs.  I have fond memories of OS 6-9, and while I haven't used them for years, lately I've really been missing all those old games, and the simplicity and speed of the Classic Mac OS.  In my day job, I live in Windows 10, Server 2012, and OS X High Sierra, and those evironments just don't have the same feel.

Last week I found an iMac G3 DV SE 400MHz on craigslist for $35.  Brought it home, and found it to be running 10.4.11.  Internal speakers don't work, and the optical drive is crapping out, but I managed to make it work long enough to get 9.0 installed.  Upgraded to 9.1, then 9.2 just a few minutes ago, and now I am posting this from Classilla, preparing to dive into a long Prince of Persia section. 

I can't wait to get into the DAW section of the forum.  I've got a podcast with some friends, and I want to see if I can record and edit a show entirely on this iMac just for fun. 

Offline ccmac

• Newcomer
« Reply #493 on: December 14, 2017, 09:14:45 AM »
A new user saying a quick hello.

Offline Misonic

• Newcomer
« Reply #494 on: December 20, 2017, 11:29:36 PM »
Hy

Misonic from Croatia here :)
My interest lies in samplers(E-Mu Ultra E4XT) and oldschool sample cd so if u need some just let me know ;)
Cheers

Offline ellejohara

• Newcomer
  • Enter Text Here
    • Art and Comics by ellejohara
« Reply #495 on: December 22, 2017, 03:07:57 PM »
Greetings!

I'm ellejohara. I mostly draw comics and illustrations, but I also have a vlog in which I sometimes talk about the Macs I have. I've been using Mac OS since 6.0.8 and OS 9 holds a dear place in my heart as it was the operating system I became most familiar with when I worked as a computer lab supervisor for an elementary school. I have a Power PC Mac collection which includes the 2000 indigo iMac 400 MHz I originally used when I was working at the school (which still is running OS 9), as well as several other machines I've acquired over the years. My other OS 9 Macs are a 1998 bondi blue iMac 233 MHz and a G4 Sawtooth with a 1.2 GHz processor upgrade.

I'm here because I want to keep OS 9 alive, and push my G4 Sawtooth to be the best OS 9 computer I can make it.

Carpe Diem...
ellejohara

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #496 on: December 22, 2017, 06:27:47 PM »
Quote from: ellejohara link=topic=1991.msg28255#msg28255 date=1513984077

I'm here because I want to keep OS 9 alive
[/quote

Well you've certainly come to the right place!!! ;D

Offline oldtimer

• Valued Member
« Reply #497 on: December 24, 2017, 08:25:23 PM »
I started using Macs for music and MIDI in 1997, using a Power Computing Power Tower Pro 250 (a 9600 604e clone), running a Pro Tools d24 system and Studio Vision Pro in Mac OS 7.6.1.  :)

I have since added several Apple desktop and laptop Macs. I have 3 different Pro Tools hardware systems -- expanded Mix, expanded d24, and expanded NuBus PT III (not currently used). I currently run Pro Tools 5.1.3cs11, Logic Pro 6.4.1, SVP 4.5.1, and SoundDiver 3.0.4 in Mac OS 9.2.2, and Pro Tools 6.4.1 and Logic Pro 7.1 in Mac OS 10.3.8.

Even though I've had Logic for several years (started with Platinum 5), I've only recently started using Logic (Pro 6 and 7). Learning the environment in Logic Platinum 5, and getting it to work with Pro Tools, gave me headaches.  :)

I found this site while searching for Logic info and I'm amazed at the treasure trove of stuff that's here. I plan to download some VSTi, VSTfx, and TDM plugins I've found here to add to my collection.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup

macStuff

« Reply #498 on: December 25, 2017, 02:48:17 PM »
I started using Macs for music and MIDI in 1997, using a Power Computing Power ToLearning the environment in Logic Platinum 5, and getting it to work with Pro Tools, gave me headaches.  :)

i think EVERYBODY feels the same way.. lol logic still gives me headaches i wish i knew it better

Offline faultywarrior

• The Mainframe Guy
« Reply #499 on: December 26, 2017, 09:27:42 AM »
So I'm supposed to say something about myself...

Well, I collect vintage computers, mostly from the dot-com boom (1996-2001)...tons of Macs, lots of other obscure stuff (Sun, SGI, etc.) and I make YouTube videos on the stuff I collect.

Oh, and I'm also known as "the other guy with a mainframe in his parent's basement"  ;D
More Macs than I can count...most used "classics":
PM G4 Sawtooth - "Dot-Com Era Prosumer Photo & Video Editing Machine": Dual 500MHz CPU Swap, 2GB RAM, Matrox RTMac, M-Audio Delta 44, 120GB 7200 RPM PATA Storage HDD.  Sony DSR-11 DVCAM Deck, JVC TM-A9U Broadcast/Preview Monitor, Contour ShuttlePRO Edit Controller, & Lexar FireWire 400 Compact Flash Card Reader.  Running Mac OS 9.2.2, editing in Final Cut Pro 2, After Effects 4, & PhotoShop 6.

PM G5 Single 1.6GHz - SAN Filer: 4GB RAM, 2x 32GB SSDs, 3x LSI Logic LSI7404XP-LC Fibre Channel Cards, 6x XServe RAIDs (14x 120GB RAID-50, 8.4TB Usable).  Running Mac OS X 10.3.9 Server Unlimited.

PM G3 B&W 300MHz - AFP Server: 256MB RAM, 4GB Compact Flash Card for storage.  Shares the CF card over AFP, and uses an AppleScript to copy it to my SAN (mounted over NFS) every minute.  Running Mac OS X 10.2.8 Server