Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361912 times)

Offline puttesnutte

• Newcomer
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #460 on: July 17, 2017, 11:02:04 AM »
Hello!  :)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #461 on: July 17, 2017, 11:08:43 AM »
Welcome!
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline djim

« Reply #462 on: July 17, 2017, 04:56:12 PM »
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but I've been a long time Mac user since the early 90's, starting with a very second hand Macintosh II, followed by a performa 630, Bondi Blue iMac, white iBook G3, eMac, and then taking the leap to Intel with a couple of MacBook's Pro. Driven by pangs of mainly nostalgia and gear lust I recently found and have been restoring a G4 Cube (returning it to OS 9) with the aim of, well, I dunno really:) Initially I was planning on using it for writing and some light gaming, now digital music beckons and who knows what else. I guess I'm here to ask stupid questions and find out what other projects people have for their machines.

Offline Mike Richardson

• Valued Member
« Reply #463 on: July 23, 2017, 08:50:35 AM »
You actually approved me with this username?

Can I change it to an actual one?

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #464 on: July 23, 2017, 09:03:19 AM »
You actually approved me with this username?

Can I change it to an actual one?

well with or without titties welcome :D

check your profile to change things around

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #465 on: July 23, 2017, 11:29:35 AM »
watch out guys, diehard applies user avatar imgaes to users based on their names.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Mike Richardson

• Valued Member
« Reply #466 on: July 26, 2017, 07:43:13 PM »
I was able to apply a more suitable name :P

The profile image is my old dog "Spunky", he passed away, but he was a good little dog.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #467 on: July 26, 2017, 08:11:42 PM »
Well Mike, regardless of your particular physical attributes (and or the lack thereof), specific ones. Welcome. And, aren't you glad that DieHard didn't apply a certain type of avi for you? (See mine for reference.)

Welcome!
This Must Be The Place

Offline Mike Richardson

• Valued Member
« Reply #468 on: July 26, 2017, 11:16:15 PM »
Well Mike, regardless of your particular physical attributes (and or the lack thereof), specific ones. Welcome. And, aren't you glad that DieHard didn't apply a certain type of avi for you? (See mine for reference.)

Welcome!

Honestly, the original name I put, well, it's the sort of name I put when the site says, "you must register".

Then it said that the admin has to approve the registration and I thought it would be denied for sure.

So I was intrigued that the admin accepted the registration!

I see all the related avatars - I wonder what might have been if I had not changed the name  -afro-

If anyone can help me with this I would be eternally grateful: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3922.0.html

We have a deadline coming up, we are exhibiting 6 eMacs at a convention on Saturday, the eMacs need to run Duke Nukem 3D and Quake III Tournament, and I want them booting OS 9 because the old MacPlay Duke is much better than the OS X stuff.... We got the eMacs to boot OS 9 but Radeon is completely screwed! Anyone with tips please post in the thread!

macStuff

« Reply #469 on: August 07, 2017, 11:01:14 AM »
greetings fellow mac enthusiasts!

thanks for approving my membership,
i have a collection of vintage macs that i still use for creative purposes,
its amazing the potential that these old machines still possess!
its great to have a community like this for supporting the old machines
now that apple does not!

thanks for having me

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #470 on: August 11, 2017, 07:29:01 AM »
Great to have you on board here macStuff  :)

Offline wilcofan

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #471 on: August 14, 2017, 05:19:32 PM »
Hello, I've been lurking here for a couple of years and recently had the fortune of a producer friend from Colorado donate me a G3 B&W 400.  If you can imagine, he actually toted it on a plane ride to New York where we were meeting for vacation.  (!)

1992 began with first Atari 1040STE with Cubase and a Midiman device.  After a few years I spent more time with 24 track reels of tape than MIDI so I lost the setup in moves.  By 1998 I convinced artists we could record in my living room to this new VST thing.  ;) 

19 years, and about 500 upgrades later I'm back sequencing on Studio Vision for the first time and wondering why I waited?  I have a Pro Tools Mix system coming in the mail, the kind of system I dreamed of in 1998 and bashed anybody for spending $20,000 on!  :-[

G3 400 B&W | Opcode Studio 3 | Midiman Biport | Digidesign TDM Mix

Offline pulsar

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #472 on: August 18, 2017, 01:04:25 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am Steve from the Netherlands. I recently picked up an old G4 to house my old Creamware DSP cards.
I am trying to turn my G4 into a synthesizer. I had DP G4 a long time ago and I honestly forget how good OS 9 works.
Anyway I'm glad to see that there's a place (online) where OS 9 is alive and well.

-S

Offline vimanas

« Reply #473 on: August 30, 2017, 05:36:16 PM »
hey everyone!

excited to be able to peruse the forums in full glory now! my name's andrew - hello from philadelphia! i've got a number of PPC macs kicking around and like some other users on this board, i'm a fan of "rescuing" old macs and am currently working on the restoration of a 1.25 ghz powermac g4 i was lucky enough to score for a song on my local craigslist. looking forward to sharing my projects as time goes on!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline idiotjoketeen

• Newcomer
« Reply #475 on: September 02, 2017, 04:07:16 PM »
What's good! Thanks for approving my registration.

I decided to finally join after knowing of this site for awhile. A friend of mine has a PowerMac G3 on OS 9, who used this forum at one point. I recently found an iMac G3/600 at a Goodwill up in ATX and wanted to get OS 9 restored since some of the control panels e.g. multiple users and appearance are acting up. The last owner wiped this iMac with a install disk from this site but I guess they didn't check everything through. No big deal though as I like messing with this kind of stuff.

I'm not sure what I want to do with this iMac but I'm glad I found it. I'm into vintage computers in general, so I've been wanting to start a collection for awhile. My household was never an Apple one; I was raised on Windows 9x and still use Windows to this day, but a lot of the elementary and middle schools I went to used these Macs and I always enjoyed using them.

(oops I left this tab open for like an hour and forgot to actually post)
currently own:
iMac G3/600 Graphite
looking for:
iMac G3/400 DV Grape
PowerMac G3 and/or G4

Offline Sweep

« Reply #476 on: October 11, 2017, 02:48:57 PM »
Hello Guys & Girls,

I have just bought my first mac computer after years of only using PC. The reason is that it came with a Howtek D4500 drum scanner where the Aurora software and dongle only work on OS9.The machine is a Powermac G4 with code M8493 if that means anything.
I bought a Radeon 9000 pro off ebay for £20 so I could run my 27" DVI-D monitor as the original card only had VGA and some weird Apple output. I was worried that I would need to find a driver for the card but it worked without a problem.
There does seem to be bits missing from the operating system as there is no internet browser and Finder and Help don't seem to work and I keep getting "Alias missing" prompts.
I did download iCab on my PC and load it on the G4 via USB but it seems pretty primitive and keeps getting error messages. Once I had iCab on the G4 I tried to 'upgrade' to Cassilla but kept getting error messages in iCab so gave up.
I suppose the only thing I really need from the Mac is to set up a file exchange system so I can move the Tiff files onto my Windows 10 machine but I might just have a play with other stuff if you can all persuade me :-)

...Sweep

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #477 on: October 11, 2017, 04:10:07 PM »
Welcome to the other side Sweep!

Don't know where you got your OS9 but it may be missing some bits.
You can download Classilla to a thumb as you did iCab and get it on the machine. BUT
First thing is to verify the OS9 install - if it's questionable in origin, grab a known good install from our files here and start over.
The best way to do that is to grab the iso and burn it to a disc on your other machine (assuming you have a working CD or DVD drive in the Mac)
The Finder IS working  or else you wouldn't even get what you're getting. Help require files and an extension properly placed in the System - that's why I suggest you re-install an OS9 from here. That should cure all of that stuff AND prevent further hassles with the Aurora install.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #478 on: October 11, 2017, 05:00:02 PM »
Welcome to the other side Sweep!

Don't know where you got your OS9 but it may be missing some bits.
You can download Classilla to a thumb as you did iCab and get it on the machine. BUT
First thing is to verify the OS9 install - if it's questionable in origin, grab a known good install from our files here and start over.
The best way to do that is to grab the iso and burn it to a disc on your other machine (assuming you have a working CD or DVD drive in the Mac)
The Finder IS working  or else you wouldn't even get what you're getting. Help require files and an extension properly placed in the System - that's why I suggest you re-install an OS9 from here. That should cure all of that stuff AND prevent further hassles with the Aurora install.

DONT DO THAT UNTIL YOU MADE A BACKUP!!!

i assume you dont have any of the drivers that came with the machine. If so you render that setup unusable.
Extensions and so on will be lost and we may not have a way to help you with that. Backup the drive and keep it
Safe before you start fresh. Afterwards you could try to use the 9.2 update and see if that fixes your issues instead of
wiping the drive right away.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #479 on: October 11, 2017, 09:49:20 PM »
i assume you dont have any of the drivers that came with the machine.
You're also assuming he has no common sense about backups after years of suffering with PC's…

But yeah Sweep, if you have only the Aurora software that came already on the machine, don't forget you'll need to preserve it before doing ANYTHING else.
Hopefully you got the software and or installer and a scanner manual along with the dongle.