Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361397 times)

Offline LillyOmegaWolf

• Valued Member
  • OS9 and SL forever :)
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #400 on: March 06, 2017, 07:42:01 PM »
First time running OS9 again, I didnt even know how to shut the thing down

keyboard commands (but you obviously dont use them much in OSX either) are pretty much the same than in OSX.
ott, for a list current open apps, just drag the application menu off the menubar.

the one main thing you have to learn is that in OS9 you can not just force quit your program after a hard chrash and continue your work. most of the time problems will son back to you so you ae better advised to reboot the OS, especially after the usual error #2 and error #3 warnings.

ouch. yes I do use keyboard commands a lot, including sleep and blacking the screen, just not to shut my Mac down... hence, I didn't know as the OS9 shutdown wasn't there when I clicked on the Apple up top.

Good to know about force quit though as I'm yet to strike that.
Filmmaker, FCPX editor, Hackintosh user and classic Mac enthusiast.

Offline JD

• Newcomer
  • 9600mac PT5.x MIX24-3D
« Reply #401 on: March 07, 2017, 10:11:21 AM »
This is my first post on this Board which I found when checking on my options for resurrecting my power mac 9600/300mhz PT5.1 PT 24 mix system.  Spent a load on this rig create one album and then it's been sitting in storage for 2 decades--now I just want my old friend back. Connected everything and crossed my fingers and hit the power switch, disks are spinning, LEDs are blinking, but the monitor remains blank.  Looking inside I see that the old trusty 3.6v battery has exploded in the corner of the mother board, getting battery juice in the closest ram slot and all over one of my two memory sticks, and dissolved one POT between the battery and ram slots as well as taking out/corroding the +/- battery terminals down to studs... Iv'e got a new 3.6v battery today, and hope to be able to get out the soldering iron for some surgery tonight to revive this old beast...hopefully i'll be able to get it going.

I have been looking at how far you can take the PT MIX24 system and it seems that maybe PT 10.x is as far as you can go with some craze mix of HW/SW-OS.  Seams that AVID has done everything that it can to make it near impossible for old PT clients and their old systems to exist beyond an iteration or two of its SW versions.  Combine this with the MAC OS versions and MAC Hardware versions, PC Hachintosh Versions, PCI, PCIx, PCIe, SCIS, IDE, ATA, PATA, SATA, SAS, cards and drivers... o my what a crazy adventure this is going to be.... Glad I found this Macos9lives resource and community as it may make this adventure more palatable, less crazy, more doo'able, and hopefully a lot of  fun.  JD.

Offline coriolis1986

• new to the forums
« Reply #402 on: March 07, 2017, 11:19:00 AM »
Hi all!

This is my first post at this forum. I want to use my old Macintoshes (SE/30, iMac G3 and Quicksilver G4) for MIDI-sequencing for my rack synthesizers. So, I hope, this forum will help me with my desire :)

Offline Spacehams

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #403 on: March 08, 2017, 10:31:01 AM »
Hello!

Offline thewegger

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #404 on: March 11, 2017, 10:24:43 AM »
Hi there! Glad to be here, thanks!

Offline karapata

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #405 on: March 13, 2017, 12:12:04 PM »
Hello, Let me introduce my self ( with my broken English)

My Name is Michael and I am soo happy to find this forum. I thought I was the only one in love with System 9. My journey started in 1993 when without any knowledge of Computers buying Machintosh LC 575.  I was going to start a small business and I knew I needed a computer. The same business is continuing today and it is still small !!. With the help of numerous books, slowly I was able to learn Mac OS 9 and Filemaker Pro and MYOB which still use it today. The only update has been update-ting to Filemaker 6. I went trough numerous Imacs over the years and currently using four Power Mac G4's

Somehow, even though I have OS 10 running G5, I was never impressed with it. I am located in Toronto Canada and I am sure I will find this forum very very beneficial. I would like to thank to every one that puts time and effort to this forum  and hope to be able to contribute if and when is necessary.

All the best and thank you again.

Michael

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #406 on: March 14, 2017, 07:29:19 AM »
I figured out that I never wrote anything about myself in this thread.

Have been using Macs since the late 90's, just as long as I have been making music.
I'm a Pro Tools guy and used to have a huge 24|MIX system in the studio before upgrading to a Pro Tools HD3 system.
The MIX system is still around though and I'm thinking of moving it to a small home studio in my celler for more easy access ;)

Mac OS 9 is very close to my heart, and my daily drivers are a dual 1.67ghz MDD and a 1ghz PowerBook G4 Titanium.

Amongst other things me and a friend host and maintain Macintosh Garden, which you might have heard of and used.

I did write something after all! Allways something ;)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Cleffhyena

• Newcomer
  • iMac G3 Indigo 500MHz
« Reply #407 on: March 15, 2017, 03:03:59 PM »
Hello! I'm a recording musician from Scotland who rescued a beautiful Indigo G3 from the heap, and I mostly use it for Cubase and The Sims :P OS9 is so great, it's got the usability of a modern mac with the aesthetic of windows 95.  -afro-
^ Prog Snob ^

Offline TheCodeMan

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #408 on: March 15, 2017, 06:20:45 PM »
Just joined the forum and looking forward to experimenting with some of the older software.

Offline wolfdog94

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #409 on: March 18, 2017, 06:30:18 PM »
Hello! This is my introduction post. I'm not a very active forum poster, but i will try to help where i can. It's really cool to see so much love still for OS9. I used to get a lot of crap for using it well into the 10.5 / 10.6 days, but 99% of my music apps just ran better in it. Onto introductions: I've been making electronic music for 20+ years, always on a mac. There was a ton of amazing sound design software on OS9 that's since become abandonware, but since i purchased a second-hand Ti PowerBook last year, i have access to all of that great software again (thonk, metasynth, soundmaker etc etc) If you're interested in my music, you can listen here: https://www.soundcloud.com/stefan-weise

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #410 on: March 19, 2017, 07:34:21 AM »
Hi wolfdog94.
Yes! Great music style.
I'm into all kind of music but have a little vinyl collection of electronic music from my dj adventures in my youth.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline TheDailyBuzzherd

• Valued Member
  • FeatherFace
« Reply #411 on: March 20, 2017, 02:53:51 PM »
Wuzzup folks in Number 9 Land ... Number 9 ... Number 9 ... Number 9 ...

Me? A native New Englander who started with System 6, 7 wuz da Bomb, 8 up to Leopard ... kid uses Mavericks, I use Classic and Tigger a bit ... a holdout mostly 'cuz I'm too CHEAP to upgrade. Further, my 15 year-old G4 still woiks. Then again, we have a laundry machine set from The '80s, so that oughta say much. No, don't drive a Model T and don't cut the grass with scissors.

Currently at odds with a coupla FireWire externals 'cuz I can't boot 9 from 'em and prolly never will.

I'll shut up now.

-afro-
" 'as uh my leetle Aquila!"

Offline dom8nine

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #412 on: March 21, 2017, 02:58:13 PM »
hello, Macos 9 lives 4 ever !

Offline thieson

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #413 on: March 24, 2017, 03:58:39 AM »
heya!

finally got an iBook g4 this weekend and successfully installed OS9 on it! so sweet.

greetings

usrrnaime

« Reply #414 on: March 25, 2017, 09:58:52 PM »
Found a mac mini which was being used as a door stop at a computer shop. The thing booted right up, and i thought about using for software synth wonderment.

Offline exodus

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #415 on: March 26, 2017, 12:53:55 PM »
Hello.  Setting up an OS 9 DAW.  I have two Mac G4 computers. 

Thanks

Offline pallinskij

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #416 on: March 27, 2017, 04:53:33 AM »
Hi,
a 1800mhz upgraded Quicksilver, a silenced Mdd and a double cpu modded Cube in my DAW.
Since 1997 still in love with Mac OS9.

Greetings from Italy  :)

Offline Quicksilver

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #417 on: March 29, 2017, 09:30:04 AM »
Hello

I have a Power Mac G4 (MDD 2003) which I'm configuring as a dual boot system. I'm planning to install final release versions of pro audio/video/design apps for both OS 9 and OS X (PPC) on each partition.

Thanks

Offline ReimenSeimen

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #418 on: March 30, 2017, 03:19:21 PM »
hello, thanks for adding me to the forum!

My name is Simon and i started recording music in 2000-2001. At that time a mac wasn´t affordable to me, so thats why i started getting interested in the old protools 5 and OS 9. Great site and great community it seems so far ;-)

Offline fabiolimasiq

• Enthusiast Member
  • !!! Long Live MacOS9Lives !!!
« Reply #419 on: March 31, 2017, 02:56:20 PM »
Hi MacOS9Lives !!!!!

I'm macOS9 user since 1999

I'm a Pro Tools TDM guy

You are great !!! it's so nice to be here

Long live MacOS9
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver