Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361412 times)

Offline ccc

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #360 on: December 30, 2016, 10:21:05 PM »
hello!
nice to meet you.
I own PowerBook G3 (Pismo).
I was order new lcd display.
please take care for "Vinegar Syndrome"!!!

thank you ;)

Offline mu:zines

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #361 on: January 03, 2017, 04:08:36 PM »
Hey guys,

Discovered this nice resource in my referral logs for my site, as there are a few links to me from here. :)

I also have an interest in archive music/computer tech, and I run www.muzines.co.uk where we are archiving and re-publishing music tech magazines such as Sound On Sound, Music Technology and Electronics & Music Maker - lots of retro computing stuff, synths, samplers, recording gear and so on.

Fun to look around here, and maybe find some stuff to run in my MacOS9 emulator!  8)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #362 on: January 03, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »
"... win an oscar... different methods of triggering modular sequencers from click-tracks on tape..."

fun stuff... welcome muzines!
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Stephencl

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #363 on: January 05, 2017, 09:18:40 PM »
Hey folks,

I am a newbie here... I use my mac's for music production work.  My first mac was a classic, that still runs my first copy of Performer purchased in 1990. I still have it and keep it in a case.  I use three additional macs today for my music work,  A Quadra 840av running 7.6, a Powerbook G3 running 9.3 and a Mac Pro Quad processor running Leopard.

I am trying to get some older Opcode editors working for a newly acquired tx816 yamaha synth module..

thanks for inviting me to the party..

Stephen

Offline elio

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
    • soundscapes on soundcloud
« Reply #364 on: January 08, 2017, 11:55:27 AM »
Hello,

first of all, I wish you an excellent new year!

Then, I must confess that I found myself here, while hopelessly looking for some old
software for sound processing. I believe it to be stored in the secret vaults of this site.

I’ve been involved with music for a very long time, in conventional and less conventional ways; I’ve alway been fascinated by sounds and noises and by the ways to organise them.
In the conventional side, I’m a guitarist and I truly love the instrument.
On the other hand, I started to manipulate sound sources: microphones feedback,
radios, tape recorders long ago.
Before buying my first computer I was mainly working with Revoxes.
Then, in 2001, I’ve got an iBook G3/600mHz: it marked the beginning of a new and very intense period of work in soundesign.
I still have the iBook, perfectly working but, infortunately, I’ve lost some important software;
among other, the amazing Sonicworks Bundle, from Prosoniq.
I think I still miss it.

Thanks

P.s. I’m on Soundcloud under the pseudo of Eliosandros; but it’s been ages since I last  updated.
"Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing"

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #365 on: January 08, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »
sonicworx is freeware since 2005, but i think it requires a G4 processor.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member

Offline corchea

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
introducing myself
« Reply #367 on: January 10, 2017, 04:21:08 AM »
Hi guys

My name is Jesus..(not kidding, please).... I work in Spain teaching music technology.  I begun in this fascinating world with a machine Macintosh ED (512 kb. RAM, no HD) in 1987.  After some issues with the Apple policies and after passed out by Performa 630, G3 and G4, I changed to Windows and Linux in 1999. It is now when I try to recover my old G4 with all that old amazing apps. Any advice or help will be welcome.
Greetings from Spain.

Offline Bcoder

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #368 on: January 12, 2017, 11:18:07 AM »
Hello from Boston!

Offline Miro Le Ravi

• Enthusiast Member
  • is there anybody out there
    • Miro funky show
« Reply #369 on: January 12, 2017, 04:20:45 PM »
hello 
i founded this topic interesting   and it made think about it too  about myself  why i am  so connected after all these years  to  my studio  vintage like  that and even  in  the tools vinyl's guitars amp etc etc 
  i am  very  sensible  about the history  of tools   i used  and how they have  a relation  and inspiration  with  me since these all years
i began  working  on  an apple 2  europlus  when i was 14 
  i was already interested  about  the  fact to  use  a micro computer for going  on transpac  playing games ( lode runner etc  )
and a friend of mine  showed me  some robotics applications and we passé a lot of time programming  for making moves  ;:) 
anyway 
a few years later   i had a classic mac 
then  a performa  etc 
when  arrived after  years of studio  with  an akai  tape  24 tracks  and an atari 
i began to made my first studio  to do demo  for others and my own first album 
that has bee released  in sonycolumbia in 2000   and made me come a little bit famous in france

at this time  i had a g3  and installed the THREE MOTU Interface   then came in 2002  the g4
the studio  has come bigger  and bigger 
but  i ve been so used to work on it  and it was so fluent  for recording and doing music
that  i didn't want to change
the people who works with  me 
comes for the pleasure to play on my vintage keyboards and amp 
personnaly  i prefered to stay on the mac os 9  because  i feel that i am  in comfortable  space of work  i  can easily  find what i want and it doesn't seem to have a police inside the computer 
mac oX  seems to work  only with internet and makes obsolete everything 
since that day i am  still working with the g4 
the same motu midi time piece av  the three  motu  1224 audio interface 
all the materiel  in the studio  ( ensoniq ,oberheim moog ,etc etc  are on  since 20 years  )

i didn't want to change system  because i see what  it s new  and the workflow is  clearly more musical  and simple to do some music  and not  masturbate  our head  in front of nice  plugs that try to  looks like  real buttons  of hardware   stuff :) 
i m not nostalgic 
i even realized that we do stuff today that  improves  the bit cal  of audio system  and the  old 2.72  sounds better and is more stable  than any  new dp  with this all  new features 
it s a fact  i wok  every day on the studio  with it  .. all the rest cam business

HONESTLY GUYS WHY CHANGES SOMETHING THAT HELPS TO MAKE YOUR WORK  AND STILL TODAY I VE NOT FINISHED TO  IMPROVES MY WAY OF WORKING  AND  IT  S LIKE  ANOTHER FINGER OF MY HAND 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:39:43 PM by Miro Le Ravi »
la vie est belle c'est le monde qui est triste ...

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #370 on: January 12, 2017, 05:11:36 PM »
Very Awesome pics, Thank you :)

Offline burgu

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #371 on: January 12, 2017, 05:46:49 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to the mac world. I've always had windows computers. But some day I saw a screenshot of Mac os 9 and loved it instantly. So first I found a Powerbook G3 (Lombard I think) and now I have an iMac G4. I use it to write, to learn programming (mainly with MCL for the moment) and to compose midi music.
This is a great forum.

Offline Simplemac

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2017, 06:15:55 PM »
hey all y'all, in my search for the old , rare , and priceless i ended up here , and it is pretty cool !!!

Offline nickbirkby

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #373 on: January 14, 2017, 10:25:32 AM »
Miro, nice pics, thanks!

Offline aldebaran

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #374 on: January 29, 2017, 05:20:03 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm a very new member here but not new to Macs and OS9. I've used the Apple II back in 1984 and graduated to a IIci in 1992 when I started college. Over the years I've owned a Quadra 800, upgraded to a 8100/80, 9600, B&W G3 Yosemite, Powerbook G4 Titanium, PowerMac G4 Yikes, G4 Digital Audio, MDD G4 dual 1GHz, Core Duo iMac and finally a recent MacMini Iris Graphics.

In recent years I find myself moving away from Macs and dabbled in Linux and Windows as it is better suited to what I do now.

I still own the PowerPC 9600 with 1GB or RAM with the original 604e Mach 350MHz CPU, B&W G3 Yosemite with a G4 upgrade, Dual G4 Digital Audio and my 2001 Titanium Powerbook G4 "Mercury" 500MHz. All of which I couldn't part with due to nostalgic reasons.

I have OS9 installed on all but the G4 DA and have all of them put in storage for almost 10 years.

Recently I decided to revive the Powerbook Ti with a SSD drive, a new battery and a fresh install of OS9, but realized I had removed the faulty DVDROM drive from the laptop. So I went online looking for solutions to install OS9 and the searches somehow led me here.

I did manage to install OS 9 through a firewire SD card reader a few days ago. Now I'm reinstalling all the software and games that I had played when I was a young adult back in 1992-98 ish and enjoying this trip down memory lane.
I've installed Myst and Descent 3! I even found a bunch of old Multimedia CDROM titles like "From Alice To Ocean" and "Oceans Below" to play around with.

OS9 is blazing fast on this ancient powerbook G4. The latest OSX isn't even that responsive on my current Quad core i5 MacMini (Iris) and 16GB RAM!

Offline jp48

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #375 on: February 06, 2017, 06:32:26 AM »
Hi,

Short intro:

Didn't have own Mac when younger, so wanting to do some music with OS 9, two machines, G3 Mini and G3 iBook, either goes to pure 9. Preparing for a gig (03/17), hoping to do that with OS 9 :)

Offline jp48

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #376 on: February 06, 2017, 07:43:20 AM »
Problems with downloading, adrive is hanging and never goes anywhere (with password)

Offline jp48

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #377 on: February 06, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »
... and works now !

Offline overbay

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
    • soundcloud
« Reply #378 on: February 07, 2017, 02:25:09 AM »
Hello, my name is Nicolas and I'm from Athens/Greece.
My first computer was a Macintosh LC (with Performer).
For my OS 9 system I'm using a Powerbook Titanium (using Cubase mostly).
I'm really into music hardware as well...
Thank you for all the info/resources/support. Excellent work people!

I have uploaded some of my music on Soundcloud, so feel free to have a listen if you like:

https://soundcloud.com/overbay

https://soundcloud.com/semivision

Cheers

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #379 on: February 07, 2017, 06:30:53 AM »

Thank you for all the info/resources/support. Excellent work people!

Yes there's a LOT of great stuff around here to cure 'The Winter Blues'!! ;D ;D

Welcome aboard!