Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361804 times)

Offline Pimpadeus

• Newcomer
  • Pimpin' Thru the Galaxy
Salutations!
« Reply #340 on: November 24, 2016, 01:01:20 AM »
Greetings and good evening to all!

My name is PIMPADEUS and I am a new member.

I operate a Pro Tools Mix+ rig at my studio in Louisiana.

I am a retired "pyro-technical" guitarist and a current railroad employee.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to interact with this community
of skilled, helpful individuals!

Offline LDstudios

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #341 on: November 30, 2016, 06:36:12 PM »

Hello everyone!

I am deeply intrigued by old music tech. I would really love to piece together an old Classic Mac based Protools 1 rig or something like that... but for now (literally today), I am content with a G4 MDD running OS9 and a bunch of Ensoniq Paris hardware that was given to me. Great DAW! Getting OS9 onto a MDD G4 on the other hand? Not so straight forward. Haha.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #342 on: December 01, 2016, 07:14:58 AM »

Getting OS9 onto a MDD G4 on the other hand? Not so straight forward.

There are many resources here to MAKE it straight forward and relatively easy to put OS9 on a G4!! Have a look around and welcome! ;D

Offline os9os9os9

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #343 on: December 02, 2016, 06:11:54 PM »
HI !  Glad to have found your site.  I own a PB520 currently running os 7.1.1 and a Performa 630 upgraded to 6200 running os 9.0.4

always looking for ways to maintain them and to network with newer macs.

Looking forward to learning some new things

Offline PedroTheCat

• Newcomer
  • OS9 Noob
« Reply #344 on: December 05, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »
Hello everybody,

Not a very long time mac user like most people here are.

Played a bit on a Macintosh Classic II ages ago as a kid (Shufflepuck Café on a floppy disk was lots of fun) and have quite some experience with OS X, (used all versions from 10.4 until 10.11 on a hackintosh).

Recently decided to get a Power Mac G4 MDD to try OS9 and see how the classic Mac OS is, and it's pretty awesome. There's just something about it, even though it definitely has its quirks.

Offline timmay23

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #345 on: December 05, 2016, 01:42:13 PM »
Hi All,

Timmy here. I grew up with a Macintosh IIcx as my first personal computer, so I am very nostalgic about the Mac OS System 7-OS9. I use a Power Mac (cheesegrater) with El Capitan right now to do all my music, but I have been playing around with Sheepshaver and just bought a G4 cube off eBay. I would love to start experimenting with music creation in OS9. Thank you all for this excellent community and site.
Cheers!

Offline UniSIMM

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #346 on: December 06, 2016, 01:48:23 AM »
Hi everyone. Why I'm here:

I recently acquired a G4 (digital audio) and three cinema hd studio displays (with the old proprietary connectors). The G4 also included an ultrawide PCI card and one appropriate 34 GB hard drive and a working Zip 100 drive (but the CD-ROM drive is dead). And in researching what exactly I can do with all this, I ended up here. The focus is audio/midi production, so this must be the place!

My background in playing/composing music starts around 1978 (prior to that, my big kickstarters were hearing Switched On Bach and Frankenstein by the Edgar Winter Group; I was never the same after that). I shudder to this day when I think about the gear I had back then and through the 80's (MiniMoog, MicroMoog, ARP Solina, Yamaha SS30 string machine, EML 101, PolyMoog, Yamaha CP70, Oberheim OB-1, and on and on and on). I also had the privilege of working with some of the classics like the CS80, Jupiter 8, Emulator II, OBX-A and on and on.

I eventually constructed my own little studio based around a II FX (with some nice Nubus cards) which then became a Quadra 950 and then a Beige G3 and finally a G4 Quicksilver. At some point I had attached a couple of ADATs and an Opcode Studio 5lx and somehow got that all working (in the Quadra 950 I also had a Digidesign Audiomedia card and a Tascam DAT which was so cool back then).

I didn't have a lot of hardware synths at that time, but I got by with a Roland D550, an Ensoniq ASR-10, a Korg T1 and O5rw and a DX7. My MIDI sequencer at that time was Cubase VST but I had begun using Studio Vision just before that all fell apart. I was intimately familiar with the trials and tribulations of getting all that stuff to work consistently.

Then life intervened and I left that all behind. But a few years ago, life having settled down, I started again and built a studio based around an iMac (2011, 27") and four MOTU interfaces (one 828x and three 8pre's giving me 32 inputs). Logic was the DAW (I still hate that term) I settled on. The synths I acquired were two DW8000's, Alesis QS6.1, EMU5000 and 6400 samplers, Yamaha A4000 sampler, Roland XV5080, EMU Audity 2000, Yamaha SG1, Korg Poly61, M-Audio Venom, GEM S2R, Korg M3, Radias, Korg R3 and a Roland Vsynth XT. And a lot of software.

I also added an old PC for running old Windows utilities and virtual synths, all integrated into the main system.

And now I have my G4/OS9/OSX adventure ahead of me. Somehow I think this completes everything. The best of all worlds. And I look forward to learning what has transpired since those days of wild abandon and multiple reboots and extension management :-) And it looks like there are lots of software resources available as well. Looking forward to revisiting some of that.

I'm looking to integrate an Opcode Studio 5lx into this if I can find one and figure out how to get the serial ports hooked into my G4. I have some options to try, having acquired some Keyspan 4-port serial cards and serial to USB adapter. If anyone has experience doing this, I'd love to hear about any successes or failures. And is it even possible to hook up three Studio Displays to the G4 using three video cards? I would still need to find two more if it is possible.

And thanks to the people behind this site for bringing it into existence and keeping it there!

Offline rukkus

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #347 on: December 06, 2016, 10:20:39 AM »
Hi all,

I´m new here, i´m from Chile (southamerica) from 2002 that i cannot use os9 and yesterday a powerbook g4 1ghz titanium reached my hands, so I´m trying to bring to life again the Ti G4 installing OS9.2 (the G4 had installed 10.5 but i cannot used this laptop with OSX, only with OS9).

Offline scottkrk

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #348 on: December 09, 2016, 11:08:28 PM »
Hi from Australia

Offline dom5869

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #349 on: December 16, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »
hello,
a long time mac user (since 1990) from France, i'm trying to make music with an Imac G4 700.

Offline Edin

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #350 on: December 20, 2016, 12:45:49 PM »
A big hello from Germany to everyone who's interested. Let me shortly introduce myself, what I did or am doing, respectively, why I am here and what I expect.
I am fighting with my mac mini's internal DVD drive for years now. Actually mac's CD or DVD devices are absolutely annoying as they always were and are so balky and refuse about 20 % of my volumes. Every mac I had over the past 20 years. After one specific update some months ago no DVD or volume with video is being accepted anymore. Right, I scraped together 35 EURO and purchased an external DVD device I immediately fell in love with. It is so smooth and obliging, simply accepts every CDDVD+--+readwrite ...
Now the point:
I took my old backups from the late 90s / early 00s and found out that they all were not yet backed up to my main backups on external drives. Lucky I am almost all volumes could be read and transformed. But for many files being personally important for me there is no application to open or convert. Especially some music projects (Cubase VST, Peak, SonicX) seem to be far out of access.
I got a hint that maybe I could get some hints here, and that's why I am here.
The main iMac I was using are still available, but not it's graphic card, it's audio card, it's ... don't know, everything got broken over the years. Now I am running SheepShaver with Mac OS9 on latest ElCapitan on a mac mini. The most important projects concern Cubase. I'm using Logic for years now and as far as I understood open old projects is easy possible. Cubase seems to be much more complicate. Certainly, I could open all the audio files and rearrange them, it would take much time, maybe it was worth it. But I like to reuse all the midi files also.
And here is my request (rather a dream): A CubaseToLogicWizard converting all projects into Logic no matter what version they are created. I forgot to mention: Certainly with only one click for each project   :P
Folks: Please make this Wizard available to me and I do not bother you again, just say thanks and goodbye  ;)
Otherwise: Any idea?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #351 on: December 20, 2016, 03:42:05 PM »
And here is my request (rather a dream): A CubaseToLogicWizard converting all projects into Logic no matter what version they are created. I forgot to mention: Certainly with only one click for each project   :P

Yes indeed it is a dream! This issue is shared by every single artist who uses a computer to produce their art. Any project produced in a specific app will require much effort to "transfer" to a different app years later. There is only one real solution: Archive the hardware and software that is used to produce the product along with the product.

Major record companies have spent huge amounts of money dealing with this exact same issue. Imagine going back to remix a project recorded on an early Sony or Mitsubishi digital multitrack… One has no choice at all but to access a working model of that machine.

This is one of the main reasons that ProTools has managed to maintain its leading position in the music production universe for so many years. One knows that the latest version will most likely open and import the oldest project one has with little or no fuss.

What you are realizing now is that you should have archived your projects in the most universal formats available then. Standard MIDI files, AIFF or WAVE files and a bunch of text explaining / reminding you how everything went together then would go a long way now.

If the old stuff is indeed that important to you, you'll find the means to re-acquire whatever "obsolete" hardware you now lack and the software to run on it to revisit the project and / or export it into a format you can bring into Logic or whatever DAW de jour you're using. Fortunately, it's not yet too late and all of it is actually still find-able.

Offline Courbs

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #352 on: December 20, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

I currently own a G4 Cube and recently inherited a graphite dual CPU G4 PowerMac. I have always wanted a DAW setup and always found the ones from my youth (in school) far easier to use than the big stuff put out today. I'm also a big fan of creative constraints in my writing and I want to bring this to my music writing as well.

Aside from that, I adore the system sounds in OS 9 and love the snappy attitude the OS has. I so desperately wish there was something comparable and modern - there are linux OSes written in assembly language which are very fast - but the software selection and charm leaves much to be desired!

So! Thank you all. I know this place will be a trove of nostalgia, geekdom and information on an operating system that holds a special place in our hearts! It's great to be here!

Offline Edin

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #353 on: December 21, 2016, 11:36:07 AM »
Hi Gary, Thanks for your comments.

There is only one real solution: Archive the hardware and software that is used to produce the product along with the product.

Yes, I am heeding this advise the recent years, but for that special purpose it is about 20 years too late.

If the old stuff is indeed that important to you, you'll find the means to re-acquire whatever "obsolete" hardware you now lack and the software to run on it to revisit the project and / or export it into a format you can bring into Logic or whatever DAW de jour you're using. Fortunately, it's not yet too late and all of it is actually still find-able.

I absolutely agree to your approach. But, it is just my hobby. I am already spending a reasonable part of my money (when released by my wife) into gear and stuff. But I do not like to purchase an entire software just for converting. This is my view today, maybe this will change. If I knew somebody with Cubase in my neighbourhood or had a friend, I would ask them for conversation. If somebody did it for me as a service, I would probably be ready to pay for it. But my first approach was to ask this forum for any ideas.

Offline pdemaret

• Newcomer
  • In a Mac OS 9 revival
« Reply #354 on: December 22, 2016, 07:43:00 AM »
Hi,

Let me introduce myself in a few words. Having been in close contact with macs since the advent of system 6, I have a few old computers - almost dead- that I want to revive.
I have no hope for my Mac+ or for the Grey G3s, but still have one MDD G4 able to run OS9, at least it is the last model that could run it. As soon at it is OK, I will change the wind turbines this computer uses as coolers ;-).

I am very happy to join a community of macos 9 enthousisasts.

Patrick.

Offline it0uchpods

• Mac mini G4, PowerBook G4 Titanium
« Reply #355 on: December 22, 2016, 12:56:18 PM »
Hi,
I'm Josh and I'm a computing enthusiast. I have always had older PCs from 1997-2005 lying around, but recently I got into older Macs, when I received my first PPC machine, a 2005 Mac mini G4. I purchased a 2001 Titanium PowerBook G4 (which has the nicest keyboard I've seen on a laptop in a long time!), and have been using that as my main laptop for a little while now, since my 2009 Black MacBook is out of service at the moment. In fact, I'm posting this from OS 9.2.2 with Classilla 9.3.3 right now!

Mac OS 9 is a very nice OS, and I've really enjoyed using it as a work machine, for creating documents, spreadsheats, and presentations with Office 2001, and even browsing the web, or reading email, still works acceptably well. I'm glad to be a part of this community!
Josh

Offline WolfpackN64

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #356 on: December 23, 2016, 01:13:26 AM »
Hello everyone

I proudly own a Quicksilver G4 (733 MHz) I've used since my early childhood (it was my grandfathers computer, but he recently gifted it to me). Furthermore, I own two G3 iMac's (one Indigo and one Ruby) and a G4 Mac Mini.

Mac OS 9 was basically my first OS and I have many fond memories of it. We upgraded most of our Mac's we had to Mac OS X when it came out and I have many fond memories of it too. However, I feel Apple is doing everything in their to make me regret having stuck with them for so long. I feel Apple's direction has made Mac more fashion statement items then really useful computers and they went in an arm's race with Microsoft to make their platforms more of a "Connected Computer" then a "Personal Computer".

This has started a slow transition towards Linux for me, but I recently looked back at OS 9. I was happy to find this community still dedicated to it. I know not everyone will have such a negative outlook at the new MacOS as I have, but it's a reason for me to love the classics. Furthermore I follow the Amiga scene since I also find it to be an interesting platform.

The Quicksilver btw ran MacOS X for over a decade, but since recently and thanks to this community, it's back to basics and it's running 9.2.2 again.

I hope to see this Classic platform survive, and maybe move forward a little :)

Casper

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #357 on: December 23, 2016, 12:14:32 PM »

it was my grandfathers computer, but he recently gifted it to me

For some reason that struck me as very funny and makes me feel ...ah... 'Vintage'!! Haha!

Welcome new peeps! ;D ;D

Offline WolfpackN64

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #358 on: December 23, 2016, 03:44:07 PM »
For some reason that struck me as very funny and makes me feel ...ah... 'Vintage'!! Haha!

Welcome new peeps! ;D ;D
Thanks!

To make you feel less vintage, my grandfather's job was in the press sector, so he had to (and did) keep up with the latest technology. He was already over 60 years old when he got it (he's still rocking a Core Duo iMac as his current PC).

Offline Vanmax22

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #359 on: December 26, 2016, 10:15:04 PM »
Hi I'm Vanmax22. I got here by googling OS 9 programs. I like old computer software, and music production.