Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361433 times)

Offline dnov

• Newcomer
  • 🍔🍔🍔🍔🍔🍔
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #300 on: September 08, 2016, 06:25:04 AM »
Hi!

I'm the proud owner of an iMac G3 (indigo 500MHZ)! and some intel machines as well. I'm excited about meeting other people who use vintage macs to make music. I live in a small town, and this forum looks like it will be a good place to learn more and talk about this stuff! :)

- D

Offline KTB

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #301 on: September 08, 2016, 10:04:24 AM »
OK, time to break my silence.  Happy OS9 user here.  I don't remember how I found this site but glad I did.  I have always used Macs for making music as a hobby.  First time I saw Cubase I was like WOW!  So in 1996 (or somewhere around there) I became a proud owner of a Powermac 8500 and Cubase 3.0.  I bought a Digital Audio 733 10 years ago and have since moved on to Logic 4.6 and loving it.  My most recent G4 is a MDD 1.25 SP for Logic Pro 6.  However I seem to have misplaced that damn USB dongle.  It will pop up somewhere at some point (I hope  :-[).

Looking forward to learning more from all of you and hope to contribute where possible!

Offline joetramp

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #302 on: September 09, 2016, 08:22:19 AM »
Hi all!

I own a iMac G3 and a PowerMac G4 MDD (and a couple of broken macbooks...). I haven't used any of them for quite some years now and was about to sell them on ebay. While making Photos I just came up with the Idea to integrate the iMac into my studio setup to use it as a sound generator with Reason 2.5. So I went to the internet to get a copy of a Mac OS 9 iso because OS/X won't run very well and I stumbled upon this forum. It seems to be a (the best?) great place to get some old software you can't even find on eBay anymore and I want to say thank you for approving my account. 

I'm still not sure what to do with the MDD because it is WAY too loud to use it as a music production machine (it is REALLY loud, omg). While thinking of it, I could sample the fan's sound... :-)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #303 on: September 09, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »

I'm still not sure what to do with the MDD because it is WAY too loud to use it as a music production machine (it is REALLY loud, omg). While thinking of it, I could sample the fan's sound... :-)

theres threads here on how to fix the noise... quite a few diff conversations on that.. bu it comes down to replacing the fans in the powersupply its very easy + requires not a lot of skill no soldering involved if u splice the wire + reconnect with Electrical tape like i did!
its totally worth the effort to have an MDD that is quiet.... awesome machine.. a bit heavy a bit loud.. but its worth it to lessen the noise!

Offline lovecolour

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #304 on: September 11, 2016, 11:49:50 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.
Look forward to learning as much as possible.

Offline AeonicB

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #305 on: September 12, 2016, 11:22:54 PM »
Hey, just wanted to give an introduction.

I still have my Boat Anchor Blueberry iMac around, solely for audio work and talking to sequencers through a MIDIMan with MIDIGraphy.

Just wanted to give a wave. :)

Offline crs117

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #306 on: September 15, 2016, 06:32:47 PM »
Thanks for setting this up.

I am crs117 from the digidesign forums since around 98. I was heavily involved until my life took a different direction.

A friend of mine's g3 with a 24 mix plus crashed. He is trying to upgrade to a g4, while not much of an upgrade but he needs to get up and running asap to finish a set of sessions. Unfortunately he cannot find his pt.5.1 disk, 5 and before is not compatible with his g4 with OS 9.2.2 and he never upgraded above that. If i can find a 5.1 install disk for mac tdm we should be able to get his studio up and running again.

It is so frustrating with all of the money invested in his PT systems that installation media is impossible to find. So thanks for setting this up you are doing a great thing.

Offline sidoh

• Newcomer
  • Turn off your Macintosh now.
« Reply #307 on: September 15, 2016, 11:43:02 PM »
Hello to all here. I'm a relatively young user but I hope to spend some more time here.

When I was very young, I have played around with G3's and G4's at various places and, if i remember correctly, even owned a G3 at one point. (All I know is that I ran OS 9 and OS X 10.0-10.2 on that thing, judging from the wallpapers I remember.) Sadly, I don't know what happened to that machine and it was eventually replaced by an iBook G4.  :(

Hey, at least I still have Classic Mode. After all, Classic Mode is better than not running OS 9 at all.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #308 on: September 16, 2016, 05:54:28 AM »
Welcome aboard new peeps! ;D

I'm a relatively young user

at least I still have Classic Mode.

'Classic Mode' is just a 'Hobby Horse'... We need to get you young 'Whipper-Snappers' ridin' the real deal!! ;D

"High-Ho Silver...Away!!!".... (you youngsters will have to google THAT one! Haha!!)  ;D ;D ;D

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #309 on: September 16, 2016, 08:00:07 AM »
Thanks for setting this up.

I am crs117 from the digidesign forums since around 98. I was heavily involved until my life took a different direction.

A friend of mine's g3 with a 24 mix plus crashed. He is trying to upgrade to a g4, while not much of an upgrade but he needs to get up and running asap to finish a set of sessions. Unfortunately he cannot find his pt.5.1 disk, 5 and before is not compatible with his g4 with OS 9.2.2 and he never upgraded above that. If i can find a 5.1 install disk for mac tdm we should be able to get his studio up and running again.

It is so frustrating with all of the money invested in his PT systems that installation media is impossible to find. So thanks for setting this up you are doing a great thing.

pretty easy to find that here ;) thanks to the macos9lives contributors!

Offline sidoh

• Newcomer
  • Turn off your Macintosh now.
« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2016, 01:36:04 PM »
Welcome aboard new peeps! ;D

I'm a relatively young user

at least I still have Classic Mode.

'Classic Mode' is just a 'Hobby Horse'... We need to get you young 'Whipper-Snappers' ridin' the real deal!! ;D

"High-Ho Silver...Away!!!".... (you youngsters will have to google THAT one! Haha!!)  ;D ;D ;D

I'll pray a thousand prayers for thy death. (Old reference challenge accepted.)  ;D

Anyways, I tried getting a PDQ G3 Powerbook a couple of years back, but I lost the bidding on ebay. I have also heard that QEMU has made great progress in emulating OS 9 recently (although the FPU emulation is extremely slow, and there's no sound). I'll try the 'dark side' and see how it goes.

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #311 on: September 16, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
Hey. I'm just here to help keep my brother's old Sawtooth G4 running.

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #312 on: September 22, 2016, 10:56:59 PM »
congrats to all on 2000th member of the site! September 2016!

Offline roamingrob

• Newcomer
  • Getting back to roots!!!
    • www.bisbeebacon.com
« Reply #313 on: September 30, 2016, 06:25:15 PM »
Greetings  ;D ........  I am a Mac user since the Mac 128.  I have had a LOT of Mac systems over the years and recently I have decided to get back the roots and explore what I can do with some of the 68K and PPC machines.  I recently got a "$10.00" imac G4 up and running again and have 10.4.11 and OS 9.2.2 running.   It's really great to have stumbled upon this site.......  very exciting !!!   I really believe the "old" systems have a place in this world for creative work.  .... anyhow..... glad to be here :)

Bob

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #314 on: September 30, 2016, 07:58:57 PM »
I really believe the "old" systems have a place in this world for creative work.  .... anyhow..... glad to be here :)

Bob

love this comment, and i couldnt agree more!!!!!!

Offline Salvo B

• Newcomer
  • Cronic Misbeliever
« Reply #315 on: October 02, 2016, 02:57:28 PM »
HI Everyone!

I Would like to introduce myself... I was a long time PPC mac user since my Powerbook G4 Aluminium started to not displaying any output (even if I know for sure that it works, probably the video card is messed up).
Nowdays i've bought an iMac G3 Indigo 500 MHz for placing in my studio as a cool design object and of course to using it as an external synth/sound generator unit in my DAW (windows based...) setup (that BTW includes also a Commodore 64 w MSSIAH cartidge).

Thanks to the efforts of this community i was able to install OS 9.2.2 and getting a lot of cool software and hints to configure my old mac.

Well, so thanks for accepting my subscription, I think that here I'll find a nice place for discussing everything OS9 and all DAW related topics

Offline JohnT

• New to the forums
« Reply #316 on: October 03, 2016, 11:29:52 AM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the OK, nice to see this community up and running.

Long time Mac user here, 1st one was out of a skip from our old college, an old Performa with OS7....moved up to the new iMac and that survived years on OS8/9, then moved to a G4 466 DA, loved that machine, (OS9 & OSX) then found a QS at the tip that just needed a HD and up and running, all gone now sadly but we still have a G5 (PPC) and our daughter uses an Intel G5 for her work (Illustration), although I still have the original 15" Monitor (ADC) that we got with the G4.

But there is hope, picked up a 867 DP (MDD) yesterday for £12, a bit disappointed at first as it was advertised as a 1.25 SP as it was solely bought for recording music but hey ho no doubt it will do what I need it to. : )

My name is John and I use a Mac.

: )

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #317 on: October 03, 2016, 05:31:12 PM »
picked up a 867 DP (MDD) yesterday for £12, a bit disappointed at first as it was advertised as a 1.25 SP as it was solely bought for recording music but hey ho no doubt it will do what I need it to. : )

i had one before - its a great machine despite it not being "the best" it still is great + felt speedy to me when i used one.

Offline deluxxx

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #318 on: October 03, 2016, 07:16:29 PM »
Hello friends I have a new iMac g3 http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_dv_400.html

I found it on the way to the dump with a dead hard drive and 64mb of ram :(

I added 1gb ram and a 40gb silent drive. Now not running.  I think it will have a nice place in my home as a boombox / thin client / music server.

I also use a PowerBook G4 as a daily driver (with Debian)but I have only slightly used macos10 and never macos9.

I'm here to learn about the power behind macOS and find a use case for my iMac G3.

Offline LocoTaskMaster

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #319 on: October 04, 2016, 09:47:50 AM »
I am Chris, I have a number of legacy Macs, a 512, PowerBook, 7100, etc. and enjoy getting them working and maxed out, and somewhat modernized, such as replacing the hard disks with SCSI2SD. I have many vintage synths that I'm getting hooked back up after a few years of inactivity and working on getting the sw and hw to do this again, and happened upon this group.  Looking forward to reading through the posts and getting new ideas too.