Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361359 times)

Offline Rural Juror

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #280 on: August 04, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »
Well, where to begin?

I've been interested in computers since Christmas 1988 when my parents purchased our first computer, a Commodore 64 (I'm showing my age!). When it eventually came time to upgrade to something a bit more flexible, my dad borrowed a Macintosh Classic (I think) from his work for a weekend or two, and it left a lasting impression.

I remember being enamoured with this computer that was like nothing I'd ever seen before. The idea that you didn't need to know what commands to type in order to do what you wanted to do, that everything was represented graphically, it was fascinating. System 7, the high resolution graphics, the ability to record and play back sound, a mouse, the whole design... it was all so intuitive, I could have (and did!) played around on it for hours.

Unfortunately it did have to be returned, and after lots of looking around at all the different options available we went with a PC (~1992) as the Macintoshes were just too expensive, and I've stuck with owning PCs since. I do think that it was a good thing however, because it definitely provided a steeper learning curve, which I don't think is a bad thing.

Anyway, several years later (~2000) one of my older brothers started working at a local post production facility doing 3D work (on a PC) where, perhaps not surprisingly, they exclusively used Macs. I sometimes provided support on the Windows side of things where it was required, but seeing the many different Macs in use running OS X piqued my interest. I bought a second hand Powermac G4 Sawtooth off of eBay, cleaned it up and upgraded it a bit, and put OS 9 and OS X Tiger on it. I'm sorry to say that I've only recently started to play around with it a bit more, but even though it's over 15 years old there's still (to me) something special about it. Maybe it's nothing more that nostalgia, maybe not. I find it a bit sad that these older machines are considered "worthless" by most, and so are discarded. :'(

I do wonder what will happen when the last of the OS 9 capable hardware ceases to operate. If it can't be emulated, is all the software then lost to history? :(

Anyway, I think I found this forum when I was trying to find the easiest way to upgrade my G4 to support SATA drives. Thanks for reading if you've come this far! ;D

tl;dr: I have a Powermac G4 Sawtooth ;)

Offline blakbeltjonez

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #281 on: August 04, 2016, 07:23:21 PM »

Hi everybody,

I'm from Florida, a long time Mac audio user from way back in '91 or '92 - still have a MDD G4 and PPC 7100 to get up and running again to use 2 old Emax samplers and an Emu E-6400 among other things alongside my Mac mini. my wife is not too thrilled about my collection of gear, computers, and obsolete drives and cables that i have amassed after 25 years...

Offline Lordgiffnock

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #282 on: August 05, 2016, 09:11:39 PM »
Hi there,

I've been sequencing on the Atari with Notator since 1996
Still love it but after 20 years thought it may be time for an update.
I've purchased a Mac Performa 6360, logic audio for Mac 2.5 with original dongles and Yamaha cbx extension and a Yamaha cbx d-5.
I'm new to old macs and I need help to get this running

Thanks

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #283 on: August 06, 2016, 12:02:39 AM »

I do wonder what will happen when the last of the OS 9 capable hardware ceases to operate. If it can't be emulated, is all the software then lost to history?

Ah c'mom man... Don't bum everyone out with those depressing thoughts!!! ;D ;D... but yeah, that would be a major bummer with no OS9! ... Channeling my inner  Charlton Heston!!! ;D ;D

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #284 on: August 06, 2016, 12:07:54 AM »

my wife is not too thrilled about my collection of gear, computers, and obsolete drives and cables that i have amassed after 25 years...

I think you'll find a LOT of sympathizers here! ;D ;D

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #285 on: August 06, 2016, 12:09:12 AM »
I need help to get this running

Certainly came to the right place!!! ;D ;D

Offline Nandos0804

• Valued Member
  • PPC lover
« Reply #286 on: August 10, 2016, 06:55:32 AM »
Sono nuovo del posto! Mi avvicino adesso a questo forum dal momento che sto per frequentare il primo anno di ingegneria del suono nel mio paese. Grazie per l'aiuto che mi avete dato sino ad oggi! Lieto di far parte di questa community

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #287 on: August 10, 2016, 10:14:44 AM »
wow this thread is becoming the largest thread on the site;) welcome to all :)

Offline doomguy

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #288 on: August 30, 2016, 10:07:47 AM »
Hi all!

Glad to have found this site, lots of good information here. I've been working to get my homelab set up again, and my interest in vintage Mac seems to have lit up again! Because of limited space, I am currently looking into some ways to finally getting some sort of ADB KVM solution set up so that I can enjoy my machines without having to mess around with plugging and unplugging.  8)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #289 on: August 30, 2016, 02:25:57 PM »
Warmely welcome, all new members.

doomguy, Dr. Bott is still selling new ADB Switches. Not quite cheap, but as you can use 4 Macs at once with one single display and mouse/keyboard it is perhaps an option for you: http://catalog.drbott.info/html/items.php?groupid=ADBGeraete&showdetails=11399#11399

Offline kaijuu

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #290 on: August 30, 2016, 05:57:08 PM »
Hello! Long time Apple // and Mac user. Just dug some old classic Macs out of the attic and have been enjoying the Low End Mac and Apple ][ Enthusiast Facebook groups.

Offline mathwrath

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #291 on: August 31, 2016, 11:20:39 AM »
greets,

just got a pismo off ebay, having a blast replaying all my old shareware titles and audio apps!
cool site!

Offline soulseeker

• new to the forums
hello - love it!
« Reply #292 on: August 31, 2016, 04:50:15 PM »
hello everybody - thanx for this place - this is fun - till now I was sure I'll end up all alone with my (g4 with digidesign mix+ hardware and logic 6) HDrecordingsystem.
we will be the new vintage kings -afro- and as a guitarist I know how important vintage is  ;D

have a nice day and never stop seeking for some soul!

Offline shazbot

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2016, 04:27:46 AM »
Hi Guys just some brief info about myself. Been using mac around 20 years, worked in pro-audio sales/tech support for about 10 and also freelance audio editor. Now work as Clinical Simulation Tech which encompasses healthcare, moulage. audio, video and networking. I have to take my hat of to the creators/admins of this site. Basically it's mint, very well organised and maintained. I feel like I've gone back to the future! Had no idea it existed until last year. Kicking myself! I have so much gear, interfaces, software but OS9 and older mac is where I was most creative. It's time to go back and blend the old with the new. Picked up my first original Powerbook 1Ghz Ti last summer and an old emagic 62m. I had this machine in 2002, cost a fortune dug out my Logic Pro 6.4 and XSKey with Reason 2.5 and I was away. I have since picked up a 1.25 MDD 2003 Single y'day. Found the original images on here adding some ram and a couple of drives later. Toying with an SSD but need to do more research re OS9 etc Just grabbed an RMEDigi96/8Pad also. Gonna take the adat out of the RME into my Audient ID22 which is connected to my Mac Pro hex core (hacked obviously). Very excited:) I think nowadays there are just too many distractions and menus and times with DAWS. Anyway have to dash - nice to join the party.  -afro-

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #294 on: September 01, 2016, 06:46:07 AM »
Welcome aboard new peeps!! ;D ;D

Offline Bilo2016

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #295 on: September 03, 2016, 12:25:18 AM »
Hi there,

greetings to all this site is amazing.
a lot of important informations and more
Regards

Offline ikki

• Newcomer
  • twin G4 power user
« Reply #296 on: September 04, 2016, 05:48:44 PM »
Just got this G4 tower for $25 I feel the power of OS9 I'm never going back

Offline BazW

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #297 on: September 05, 2016, 07:23:10 AM »
Hi

Came across this site in my efforts to revive some old VSTi's and am hoping you will be able to help.

Regards
BazW

Offline judicator.exe

• Newcomer
  • "Power Overwhelming..."
« Reply #298 on: September 07, 2016, 06:24:25 AM »
 :) Happy to be a part of a community that's bringing new life to old macs. I own two 1.25 G4 MDD Powermacs, three Titanium 1Ghz Powerbooks and two 17" 1.67 DVI-DL Al-powerbooks (along with much newer macs), a MOTU 828 Original and a MOTU 828 MKII firewire soundcard - all in almost pristine physical condition. Special thanks to community forums such as this for keeping the old PPC relevant. I figured i would take the time to teach (as a volunteer) aspiring elementary-age kids around the community the basics of digital audio production. Using cheap PPC macs from Ebay truly made the endeavor happen. I still use my newer macs for my professional DAW needs along with freshly licensed versions of modern DAWS, but the old PPC hw/sw bring a nostalgic and educational perspective (like learning work-load optimization and working with limitations because of slower processor) that truly helps the students learn and appreciate modern technologies. Best wishes to all your projects!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #299 on: September 07, 2016, 07:28:57 AM »
I own two 1.25 G4 MDD Powermacs, three Titanium 1Ghz Powerbooks and two 17" 1.67 DVI-DL Al-powerbooks

That's a nice pile of old junk you've got there Judicator!! ;D ;D ;D