Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 363443 times)

Offline will9

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #260 on: June 14, 2016, 01:26:39 PM »
Hello.
I am a Mac user since 2005.
I recently upgraded the RAM of my iBook G4. I don't know why. I feel it is a pity that this computer is perfect and it works just as the first day and now it is unusable...
But it still runs a copy of Rebirth on Classic! 8)

Definitely give Reason a go as well if you havent already! The OS and software may be dated, but artistic ideas never stop. Your iBook could be a distraction free way to express yourself. You might be surprised with the ideas you come up with when twitter and facebook and forums aren't easily available (or not at all if you choose)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #261 on: June 14, 2016, 02:25:33 PM »
I feel it is a pity that this computer is perfect and it works just as the first day and now it is unusable...
Oh, it isn´t unusable. It is just the big companies upgrade trademill for gaining profit that wants us to think that way. If you once stopped to follow them you´´ll see that it is not necessary. As you said, the machine is still doing what it did back then. ;)

Offline kokuen

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #262 on: June 21, 2016, 07:21:28 PM »
Hi everyone!

I started out with an Apple II GS way back, then eventually stepped up to a 6100 60/av running System 7.  After that went through various used machines like Powerbook 5300, Beige G3, MacBooks with OS 10.

Oddly enough I missed most of the Mac OS 9 era running Windows and Linux for school and work.  Recently I traded a MacBook for a Digital Audio G4, so I have something nice that boots Mac OS 9 natively.

Offline a.ginger.turtwig

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #263 on: June 29, 2016, 06:33:55 PM »
Hi I found this forum after looking for os9 instal cds. I got a Power Mac G4 (yikes!) from my dad. I think it was a old file server or something.

Offline xsys

• xsys means external system
Re: Members Introduction...
« Reply #264 on: July 01, 2016, 10:04:29 AM »
I confess...I still use OS9.

Actually, I just installed an ssd into my G4 (digital audio). I also have a rather rare Korg Oasys pci card installed, along with two Silicon Graphics 1600sw monitors. I don't think this OS or the hardware is obsolete at all :)

But, I should also confess that it is a dual boot to OSX. I just want to be honest and upfront. I'm not cheating...just curious.

I will contribute any way I can.

Offline zerohour

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #265 on: July 04, 2016, 06:37:45 PM »
Hello ...

I have been working with G3, G4 and G5 machines with varying levels of success.  Current machine is a Quicksilver 800Mh G4 and I have been experimenting with Classic Apps.

Hopefully I can find some apps of use.

I stated using Macs in college with Mac Classics and Microsoft Word and Aldus Pagemaker 3.  So I have used Macs on and off for years.

As well as the G3,4 & 5 I also have a PowerBook 1400 and a Newton 2100.  So a bit of a Mac enthusiast.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Members Introduction...
« Reply #266 on: July 05, 2016, 05:25:32 PM »
But, I should also confess that it is a dual boot to OSX.
Don't worry, you have lots of company. We're enthusiasts, not fanatics…well, most of us anyway.

Offline fred0c

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #267 on: July 09, 2016, 04:43:21 PM »
Hello,
Dusting off my old samplers and Macs to use them again for production.
I'm from NYC, but presently living in Seattle area.

Been into music since '88, and still keeps me alive and well!

Offline Imiyashiro

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #268 on: July 14, 2016, 05:44:28 PM »
Hello from Vermont.

First computer I used, in grade school, was an Apple IIe; a few in middle school; but finally became a true convert in '06. Have had a few Intels since and have been working a bit backwards as well.

Love the lifespan of the majority of my Macs so far...

Happy to have found an actuve and open community.

Offline jamey777

• new to the forums
« Reply #269 on: July 14, 2016, 06:52:56 PM »
Howdy... going to use my new (to me) powerbook 1400c to run some old synthesizers...

Offline xsys

• xsys means external system
« Reply #270 on: July 15, 2016, 02:58:51 PM »
I don't know how to upload (new here) so I attached some hard to find drivers to this message. The entire folder was compressed using 7zip, so you will need to un-7zip first.

The drivers are for the Silicon Valley Bus Company "Multiport Expander".

Please lambaste me if this is really inappropriate to do, and I will go stand in the corner for the rest of the day  ;)

Offline lesantoro2

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #271 on: July 16, 2016, 10:23:23 AM »
Hello everyone! -afro-
I'm a brazilian who fell in love for Mac and OS since 2009,
that still uses a G4. I work as a music producer here and
i am an enthusiastic for everything that is MAC related.
The design and intuitive of the system still incredible.
Very happy to find you guys here and exchange
experiences and some hard to find old software beauties.

Cheers OS9 Community  :D

Offline pyramid termite

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #272 on: July 18, 2016, 12:17:18 PM »
well, here i am - i found a mac summer 2000 g3/500 at a thrift store for 20 bucks - it booted so i bought it - it's running os x, but thanks to the kind providing of mac 9.2.2. by this website, i can boot os 9 on a usb flash drive

this should be interesting

Offline williameric

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #273 on: July 24, 2016, 02:01:28 PM »
Hi,I am from Germany and a fan of old Macintosh for along time.
REgards

Offline widdly

• Enthusiast Member
  • Beige G3, Alchemy, Turbosynth, Sounddiver, K2000r
« Reply #274 on: July 25, 2016, 04:33:47 PM »
Hi All,

I found an EMac in the hard rubbish.  I first started out on pentiums pc with cubase vst when it first came out.   I'm hoping set up the same software as I user back then on the emac.  Maybe I will be more productive inatead of focussing on new stuff all the time.

thanks for the great resource.

Offline Pushpull76

• Enthusiast Member
  • Always a newbie.
« Reply #275 on: July 26, 2016, 11:43:11 AM »
Hello guys :-)

Alex from Italy here,worked in the past for several music production companies here. I'm a mac user from 1987, still have my old machines with me (a 128k, a IIfx, a G3 blue and white, a lot of newer machines i'm currently using for my work.
I have experience on Logic Audio (platinum, from 3.0 to the last versions) in several environments, like Protools systems on nubus/PCI architecture in stand alone mode (digital mixing) or mixed mode, with DDA, SSL and Neve analog mixers.
I'm currently turning on all my old macs, in order to restore my old song backups made with LAP 4.8.1
This forum is awesome, thanks for the work!!!

Offline NineLives

• new to the forums
« Reply #276 on: July 26, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
Hi all, a short message from your newest member!  :)

I've been a mac user since around 97, started with a beige monstrosity, then G3 tower, MDD "wind-tunnel", G3 and G4 iBooks, Macbook black, Macbook air and Mac Mini. Been producing music all this time, I have some old patches on the iBook G3 but the graphic card died, which prompted me to find an OS9 machine again - the G3 tower went bust in a puff of smoke long ago and I got rid of the G4 tower a few years ago like a fool... too heavy and doubles as a heater etc. well yes but as we all know there are loads of great weird little OS9 progs which never made the jump to brave new OSX land. Anyway on Sunday I got hold of a G4 tower for 20 euros, not bad you'll agree, especially given that it has a 1,42 GHz upgrade, making it the fastest OS9 machine (?) One firewire target disk mode session later I can check out what I was doing 10, 15 years ago... wow time machines are real..  8)

Offline NineLives

• new to the forums
« Reply #277 on: July 26, 2016, 02:06:56 PM »
forgot to add... the machine didn't come with OS9 so thanks to you guys I've been able to go back to the future THANK YOU  :)

Offline tiousable

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #278 on: July 29, 2016, 06:46:01 PM »
Hi everyone! Been wanting to get into older macs recently (never had one before, and there's some games I always wanted to play, like high-res Star Wars Dark Forces), eventually got a G4 for a good price. Then found this site when I decided OS X was a) feeling rather slow on that box and b) it didn't offer anything much over OS 9. So here I am!

Offline monitorninja

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #279 on: August 02, 2016, 10:44:23 AM »
Hi All!

I've been an Apple user since the Apple IIe. The first mac I owned was an LCII. I need to fix the power supply but it booted a few years ago.

My current job has reunited me with a computer from a former lifetime, a Beige G3 running OS 8.1 and ProTools 4.3 with an 888/24 I/O

I've got it up to OS 9.2.2 and PT 5.1.3 (which is how I discovered this forum) and now just seeing what else is out there!

I've got a Quicksilver G4 at home that used to run a Digi001 that I'm thinking of moving the 888/24 and d24 cards too.