Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 365046 times)

Offline kdub

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2016, 03:08:16 PM »
Hi, new to the site. I have a working 32 Chan (4 888/24) Mix P-Tools System v 5.1.3 running on a G4 which I am hoping to port over to a G4MD which is a workhorse and I wish to see running for a few more years. However the G4 is in need of TLC (fan, drives, lithium battery etc)However I've realized there are issues with the G4MD and it requiring OS 9.2.2. Consequently I am trying to get up to speed on if this is even possible etc. FYI  I also have a PT9 32 Chan HD rig in my studio and a PT11 LE set-up on my laptop. Kevin

Offline Dannyh

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2016, 03:29:20 PM »
Evening all and thanks for allowing me in,

Had an iMac G3 slot loader quite a few years ago, and recently rescued and refurbished a PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics and a MDD G4 with the loudest PSU you've ever heard. I work with Apple products, and for all the OS X machines and modern systems out there, I keep coming back to OS 9, the older Macs and the fun they all hold.

The only problem I've found is that my collection of machines is growing rapidly and I seem to keep visiting a certain auction site to see what my next classic machine will be. Apart from the MDD and the G4 AGP machine, I've got two 15" Flat Panel iMacs, a 17" Flat Panel iMac, Titanium Powerbook, and an iBook. They were all being scrapped due to various problems and faults and with a bit of work, searching for RAM, a PSU, graphics cards, HDDs, TLC and a good clean, they all work.

Looking forward to being here, and having fun,

Danny

Offline kelotti

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #242 on: April 30, 2016, 01:42:55 AM »
Hello there :)

I'm a student from Japan making music as a hobby.

I have a G4 MMD with a 15" Studio Display but I mainly use an iMac (Mid 2010) for music.
Recently, I've got some old hardware so I'm going to work on it and to revive the old PPC machine.

Thank you! -afro-

Offline honasvocas

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #243 on: April 30, 2016, 03:29:37 PM »
Hello.

have just bought a G3 iMAC on a yardsale to revive old retro memories.

Love it!

Offline Mrphil

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Hello!
What a great forum, I thought I was alone in running an OS 9 machine again and I don't think it would be possible without some of the resources here!

Offline synthhero

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Hello there!

My name is George.
I´m a house music beatmaker and 2d/3d CG artist from Moscow/Russia. Love to used different old-school music tools like Apple PPC, Atari STe/Falcon, Emu IIIxp, Akai S1100, Akai MPC4000, Roland S770, Digidesign ProTools MIX…
Macos9lives is absolutely incredible time machine, and i will be happy to be a part of this community! :D

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
welcome all you new peeps!! ;D ;D

Offline ziggy29

• Enthusiast Member
Hi folks --

Long time regular on many other boards, playing with my older Macs for a long time now as a hobbyist trying to make the most out of them.  I do have a Late 2012 Mini (quad i7) but often come back to "play" with my older Macs under OS 9, Tiger and Leopard.  More of my recent activity has been back in the OS 9 world with a Pismo (G4/550), a recently acquired 1 GHz Ti Powerbook (last 'Book to support booting into OS 9) and a G4 Digital Audio (upgraded with X800 graphics and a 1.5 GHz processor). 

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
thanks for the grate site

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
Welcome all you new peoples and enjoy  :) :) :)

Offline perk0vic

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Hey I'm using an iMac g3 running 9.2.2
Thanks!

Offline jules_the_dudess

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Hi Everyone! Juliana here! I bought my iBook G3/466 SE (Firewire/Clamshell) in New York in September 2000, right when it came out. It worked absolutely fine until 2005 or 2006 (don't remember, sorry) when it would go to sleep mode right after turning it on. I left it in a drawer for years until a few days ago. For some reason I was determined to make it work again. Browsing the net I found some useful info about the PMU and battery life, so I reset the PMU and the PRAM and apparently it's working fine. I guess I would have to buy another battery sometime later on as the original does not charge.

However I must tell you all and please don't be mad at me: I hated Apple for years, because at the time (2001 - 2005) I lived in Brazil and it was almost impossible to find software and pieces (I remember the power cord broke and it was an oddisey to find the official Apple Store in Sao Paulo).

This iBook went through many things with me in different stages of my life, so I'm really happy it's working again!

It runs Mac OS 9.1 and I'm waiting for the Airport Card to arrive (actually I had bought one at the time, but I ended up losing it).

I wanted to update the OS, so I download versio 9.2.2 from here, but I'm a bit scared to install it. What if I lose everything? 

Thank you all!

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Hi Juliana!

I wanted to update the OS, so I download versio 9.2.2 from here, but I'm a bit scared to install it. What if I lose everything? 

No need to fear anything.

I did for sure 100 Mac OS updates in my live, and never had any problems with loosing data. The Mac OS 9.2.2 Update is working absolutely well! I cannot 100% confirm that for the English or Portuguese OS updates, but the German one worked always without any issues! And as you are doing an update, there is also no possibility that you    unintentionally reformat or repartition your HD.
BUT; Mac OS 9.2.2 is a lot heavier and a little bit slower than 9.1. So from my point of view I wouldn´t do an update until you really need some functionallity from it to run some special user application (for example Final Cut pro 2 or similar).

Offline jules_the_dudess

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Hi Juliana!

BUT; Mac OS 9.2.2 is a lot heavier and a little bit slower than 9.1. So from my point of view I wouldn´t do an update until you really need some functionallity from it to run some special user application (for example Final Cut pro 2 or similar).

Hi Mat,

Thanks! Yeah, I think you're right :) The 9.1 works absolutely fine and I'm not a heavy user. I just use text processor and some web browsing, so I'll probably leave as it is for now. I'm thinking about upgrading the HD and the RAM and getting a new battery, so when I do that, I might move to OS X, but it's fine for now. I'm just so happy my clamshell is working again!

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
BUT; Mac OS 9.2.2 is a lot heavier and a little bit slower than 9.1.

Not at all. The main improvements of 9.2 over 9.1 is speed.

The 9.0 is slower than 8.6 and buggy as hell.
The 9.1 is slower than 8.6 but very estable.
The 9.2 is as fast as 8.6 and very estable.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline mikewolak

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Hello,

Mike from Austin, TX here. I've just resurrected my G4 OS 9.2.2 PT5 TDM rig. I've done a complete rebuild/reinstall and it's still coming together. Glad to see a forum like this exists.

Thanks!

Offline prescot

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Hi all ! been building me a beige g3 fun stuff 

Offline spierlejewski

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #257 on: June 05, 2016, 05:11:42 PM »
Hi all
90's electronic muso aiming to relive my glory days by ditching modern computers and going back to hardware samplers! Found this when researching how to get my new G4 up and running 😊
Great to see so many resources available!

Offline Skinnydog

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #258 on: June 08, 2016, 07:01:02 AM »
Ok. I've been lurking here on and off for about two years. This is a fantastic resource for those of us who started recording digitally on Mac OS 9 and still have a lot of old Macs that can be re-purposed for making music.

I started out with DP 2.7 and a Motu 1224 audio card circa 2001. I still use DP 3.1 now as well as the 1224, but thanks to this site, I've also discovered Cubase VST 5.1, which I've found to be much more to my liking in terms of the workflow. Cubase enabled me to use midi in a way I had never really used it with DP, perhaps because DP on OS9 never offered virtual instruments natively the way Cubase does.

I was mainly audio anyway and had no external modules with which to use midi. But that's all changed now.

I also love recording to tape and own a number of cassette and reel-to-reel machines. I like the ease with which Cubase allows me to test ideas and arrange songs, in addition to the extra instrumentation the software offers through VST. I can now record these arrangements to tape, along with live audio and the dump the recorded tape tracks to digital for editing or mixdown to free up more tape tracks. This is mucho fun, and it's all thanks to this site and the incredible knowledge shared here.

Offline elDot

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #259 on: June 14, 2016, 01:15:28 PM »
Hello.
I am a Mac user since 2005.
I recently upgraded the RAM of my iBook G4. I don't know why. I feel it is a pity that this computer is perfect and it works just as the first day and now it is unusable...
But it still runs a copy of Rebirth on Classic! 8)