Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 366702 times)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #220 on: March 23, 2016, 06:13:45 AM »

There was some really hard to find stuff in there, though no way to tell if it was all operational, like a variety of Mac Classics, SE/30 and 128k, half dozen different CRT-based iMacs, 2 StyleWriters, a LaserWriter, an ImageWriter, a gray clamshell iBook G3 without cables, and a few misc systems that looked to be in really rough shape. I think a friend managed to find a Newton and a Performa 5200 in that pile of stuff too.

That's like hitting the lottery around here!! ;D ;D  Welcome aboard!

Offline AHmedia

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #221 on: March 26, 2016, 04:19:29 PM »
Greetings all!

My story:

I grew up in the 80's! My first computer was an Atari ST (1040 I think it was called). Actually, that's not true! My very first computer was a Sinclair ZX81, followed by a Sinclair ZX Spectrum that my dad bought. Later in the early 90's I owned several Commodore Amiga machines, my beloved Amiga 2000 being my pride and joy until I later jumped on the PC Bandwagon with a used 486, running windows 3.11.
To be honest, I skipped the C64 craze. I was in the Atari ST camp due to it's superiority with MIDI sequencing, running Steinberg's Pro 24 in the 80's. This was Steinberg's flagship sequencer before Cubase I believe. Later of course,  I switched to Cubase on the ST.
Paralell to the Atari ST, I got hooked on the Amiga mainly for gaming.
In the mid 90's, a good (female) friend of mine had a Power Mac (can't remember which one - the mac that is :D) and I was so jealous, but I could never afford one, so I stuck with the growing PC platform. Again, mainly for use as a DAW, which back in those days was not an easy accomplishment!

Somehow, I managed to skip the entire Apple/Mac community until the rise of the iPhone/iPad. These days I own several iPads/iPhones which I hand down to my family members when I upgrade.
I also own a Mac Mini (late 2014 model, which I only got because it was time to own a Mac) - only upgrade I could do was an SSD Drive, but I LOVE my Mini!!!

I've always been interested in Emulations. Especially the machines I grew up with. Aside from the Arcade, Amiga/Atari ST Emu's, I just discovered SheepShaver and installed OS 9.0.4 yesterday and it's running great!

Now I'm here! and thank you all for welcoming me to the community!!

Offline bingbong

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #222 on: March 29, 2016, 02:22:34 PM »
HI!  I bought my first mac ever in this lifetime.  A $100 G4 Power Mac with 933 processor.  Im pretty excited.  I want to get at those downloads.  Im already sampling Turbosynth and thonk. 

Offline CF3

• Newcomer
  • vintage sampler addict
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2016, 09:06:03 PM »
Howdy all,

I'm putting together an OS9 system to run editor/librarian software for vintage Samplers & Synths. Been lurking around for awhile and have found the info VERY helpful. Decided to join!

Many thanks for all the hard work.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:51:00 PM by CF3 »

Offline sagastudios

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #224 on: April 02, 2016, 07:13:50 AM »
Greetings, everyone.  I have a couple of PowerMac G4's and five (with parts to spare) PowerBook G4 Titanium machines, and Iuse them for productivity and electronic music.  Glad to have a discovered a place to exchange ideas and tips.

Special thanks to the mods and other folks who make this site possible.

Take care!

Offline mioxid

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #225 on: April 04, 2016, 07:29:40 PM »
Hi Eveyone!

I am from Mexico, thanks to this site, i am writing this reply on my iBook Clamshell!! it is alive again. 

I bought it five years ago, but it don't had an Operating system, i was trying with different ISO's until finally works OSX leopard... but it works slowly... Today five years later, i don't know why, i just decided to try again and my surprise was to find this site, download the ISO and it works!!!

I was a Windows user because the Mac were so expensive and my parents could not afford it.

One day my father took me to a "Computer Expo" and i saw an iBook and since then i fall in love of it.

Now i finally have my iBook Clamsell Working!!

Thanks!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #226 on: April 04, 2016, 08:01:04 PM »

Now i finally have my iBook Clamsell Working!!

Congratulations! ;D

Offline Xside

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #227 on: April 09, 2016, 01:59:30 PM »
Greetings from chile. I have a mac classic color and a powermac 4400

Offline urdvurk

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #228 on: April 09, 2016, 02:00:38 PM »
Hi all,

Have been lurking around here for a while now. It's good to see I'm not alone, and that the classic Mac OS still has a following.

OS 9 was the first real experience I had with Macs, and for all its shortcomings, I still have a big soft spot for it. It crashed every now and then, and multitasking is iffy, but still it was so much nicer to use than Windows it's not funny. I still remember the first time I had had to do a hard reset after a hang; whereas Windows would lapse into an fdisk that would take 20 minutes, the Mac simply started up and said something like 'This computer was not shut down properly. Next time use the proper button please.' Brilliant.

I got into emulation with Basilisk and SheepShaver, but then was gifted a Quicksilver G4 and decided to keep it as a Mac OS museum of sorts: it now has 9.2, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 on it, but I mostly use OS 9. I got a 20" Cinema Display for it for next to nothing, and I am waiting for an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card. It has now been overclocked from 733 MHz to 867 MHz, and I'm keeping it, if only for the way it looks on my desk.

I've got some games as well as some graphics software I used to work with, but now to go with the new sound card, I am looking to install some DAW software and play around with that.

Offline jamunroe

• new to the forums
« Reply #229 on: April 12, 2016, 05:35:30 AM »
Hello! I'm John from Tokyo. I have a G3 PowerBook (Pismo) that I use for one purpose: Super Wing Commander! I'd like to connect to the Internet and get some of my old software going - but most of it was on floppy disks that died long ago. Anyhow looking forward to getting to know you all!

Offline richbike

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #230 on: April 14, 2016, 04:46:15 AM »
Hi folks,
I like my retro tech...still got an SE 30 somewhere in a mates attic I think.
Currently into old music kit...reviving my EMU E4X and DX7. Must confess I've resorted to virtual windowsXP for SCSI connectivity with the EMU but if anyone has had success with old Macs also running Reaper id beinterested to know.

cheers
RIch

Offline iRolleder

• Valued Member
  • new from Germany
« Reply #231 on: April 20, 2016, 03:57:41 AM »
Hey everyone :)

now it's time to introduce myself (hard facts: from Germany, civil engineer :D). Since yesterday I am a proud owner of a powerpook G4 A1025. I bougt it on ebay. The only problem should be a non working dvd drive (it exits the disc after little noise), but therefore it was not that much expensive (100€). So now I have to wait until the package arrives.

Why I bought this powerbook? Since I was seven my family had PC's. And so I learned to use them, play games and finally I tried to code a bit. After 12 years of PC use I finally bought my first mac. there where several advantages, that let me do that (stability, security and so on) So my first mac was a Macbook Pro Mid 2010 which I have bought for University. Since then I am a mac user and it is a much better experience then use windows.

Because I am interested in old stuff I finally found your website a few month ago. since then I read a lot about Mac OS 9 and the older Powerbooks and my decission was clear. I must have a Powerbook which can run Mac OS 9.

So when I get it I will edit this post. :D

Offline Draefend

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #232 on: April 20, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
Hello folks
I've been a mac user since 1996 when dad bought a Performa 6400. I was only two years old then so I grew up with the classic Mac OS. A couple of years ago I stumbled upon this site and got nostalgic enough to dig out my old Pismo from storage and install OS 9 on it.
That got me into collecting and since then I've spent more money on old macs than I feel comfortable admitting.
Anyways, I thought it was about time I stopped lurking here and made my existence known.
Cheers

Offline GP

• Valued Member
  • Ex Apple Technician & Current Nerd
« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2016, 04:55:33 AM »
Hi there, I'm Gp.

I own Three PowerMac G4's, and four iMac Lampshades all running 9.2.2.

Regarding the G4's, Ones primarily a server, one a backup and one is my main rig.

I'm primarily here to browse and discover old audio applications (eg. DAWS) and actually use these for creative works.

I hope to contribute in anyway I can. I might even host an archive of software and games in the future.

Cya Round!

Offline Galane

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #234 on: April 22, 2016, 08:46:02 PM »
I know a guy who does audio and music. With all the great freebies here I think I'll dig up an old PowerMac and see if I can turn him on to the Macintosh Way. :)

Offline bse5150

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2016, 01:05:36 PM »
I've been using Macs since 1993.  I started with a Classic II and progressed through several other Macs between the Classic II and my current MacBook Pro.

I recently bought a PowerMac G4 (Yikes) and re-ignited my passion for Classic Mac OS (OS 9).  Which, of course, lead me here.

Offline mac-cellar

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #236 on: April 25, 2016, 11:51:32 AM »
Hello All!  Bought my first Mac almost 20 years ago - a Performa 580CD - and have been an avid user and explorer ever since.  I've owned dozens of different machines over the years from compact Macs right up through my current white MacBook. 

I usually have 5-6 older Macs in my basement at any given time, hence my handle: Mac-Cellar.  Right now, my stable includes...

-My beloved eMac: been in the fold the longest has this bulbous old gal.  Rescued her from a recycling center who happened to auction her on eBay before consigning her to the scrap heap.  At the time, I was strapped for cash and my cool black MacBook had been done in by an ill-placed glass of ice water.  The 1.42Ghz 2005 model, she served as my main Mac for 2 1/2 years... now smoothly runs a dual install of Debian 7.10 and Tiger and is still pretty spry.

-Powerbook G4 550 Titanium: Grabbed this beautiful machine on eBay for $45.  Had belonged to a small company, retired a number of years ago and kept in pristine condition in its original box for years.  Company IT sold it off... even wiped the drive and installed all of the updates before sale. This is my OS 9 machine - trying to see how much I can make it do, and having a blast while I'm at it. 

-iBook G4 1Ghz: Another eBay steal, and currently my Linux tester. 

-Powerbook 5300ce: Rebuilt from two machines, has max RAM and a rare VST internal power supply making (for now) the notorious loose power connector in the back a non-issue.  Love this little thing - always wanted one, and managed to cobble together two machines the previous owners had given up for dead.

-Powerbook 1400c (FrankenMac): An assembly of parts from several machines, on its 3rd screen, but so cool.  Has the Newertech G3 processor upgrade.

-Powerbook 1400c (The King):  A 1400 nut's dream!  Has the Sonnet 466 G3 upgrade, the 64 MB max RAM, a completely unnecessary but wholly welcome 40 GB hard drive, 12X CD, internal ZIP drive, plus another half-dozen odds and ends.  Bought it on eBay from an electrical parts supplier who really didn't know how much he had.

Happy to find this community.

Offline mrpippy

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #237 on: April 26, 2016, 09:03:31 PM »
Hi everyone, always happy to find another active classic Mac forum!

Offline cruxz

• new to the forums
« Reply #238 on: April 29, 2016, 05:53:08 AM »
Hi,
I just started using a Mac to record audio from my samplers. First, I wanted a Macbook, but then i figured that an old G3/G4 can get the job done. It works with a cheap soundcard like the 001 which has 8 inputs, so i can also use my DAW as mixer before tracking out.
I have seen this video and probably after that i found out about os9. My MDD came with PT6.4, but it was skipping throughout the playback, so I thought let's try os9 and an older version of PT.
Power Mac G4 1.0 DP (MDD)
Digi 001

Offline modexist

• Newcomer
  • Meanwhile...
    • Box Fuss
« Reply #239 on: April 29, 2016, 10:48:08 AM »
Hi everyone.

I'm a sound arts student & musician and general sound enthusiast.

Thought this forum looked really good and so far it has proven to live up to that.

I have quite a few Apple Computers, the oldest are an eMac and an iBook Clamshell. I have used Apple Computers all of my life, since I was about 7 or 8 and recently have become very interested in the kinds of Apple Computers I would have used growing up.

I am interested in anything to do with sound old or new!

Very happy to be a part of this forum.