Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361503 times)

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2016, 01:33:13 PM »
Who was it that said "Forward…into the past!"

Offline urribarbar

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2016, 10:17:19 AM »
Hi,
sorry , but where is Forum Download Area ?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member

Offline neurepublik

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2016, 07:07:35 PM »
Groovy site!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums

Offline bracyp

• Newcomer
  • Lovin' Life!
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2016, 12:40:43 PM »
Hello to all the Mac fans out there.  I'm new here, but I feel like this is a great community.  I've been with Apple products from the almost the earliest days.  My first experience was with the Apple ][, but I really cut my teeth on the Apple //e and still have my original one from 1988.  I actually used it in 8th grade and it was later traded to one of the local high schools for an attempt at a repair by the electronics class.  No success there so it sat there for a year without any luck until I discovered it when I joined the electronics class.  Simple power supply capacitor problem repaired by me and it was working again.  I was contacted years later (about 4 years ago) by the old electronics teacher saying they were getting rid of some things in storage and I could have a pick of it if I'd like.  Lo and Behold there it was in all it's glory still working. So now I have it at home bringing back the good ole days and showing my kids what life was like on computers back then.

But in the meantime, I had moved completely away from the Apple world except for my nostalgia.  But back when the first iPhone was introduced where I worked at AT&T, it got me thinking that I wanted to get back into it, so I started with the latest and greatest at the time and worked my way backwards to the older PowerPC platform.  I'm loving this stuff and wish that I had been with it in it's earliest days.

Well that's my Apple history.  But I'm also a huge network guy, mostly Cisco.  But love all computer platforms and OS's.  Intel, PowerPC, ARM, etc.; DOS, Windows, Linux, Mac.  Outside of computers I like Amateur Radio, Camping, Japanese culture (I speak fluent Japanese and lived there for two years.) and Science (Astronomy, Physics, etc.)

Nice to be here.

Bracy

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2016, 12:47:24 PM »
Welcome Bracy - can feel the computer love in your story. :-)

Offline Mako

• This transmission is coming to you...
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2016, 03:51:11 PM »
Well, I bought my iMac G3/400 DV (Summer 2000 - I/R) off a computer tech that I worked with, for a Print Design and Illustration degree that I was persuing in 2001. I stopped using it due to moving (like a gypsy) and acquiring a Toshiba laptop (which I still have) in 2006. That aside, I could never part from it. It just sat there with a cover over the vent/handle in many storage piles until this past Christmas. My father in law bought me a Teenage Engineering PO-16. Um, I almost cried. My brain has been craving for a new challenge, a new way to exercise my creativity. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out and within those weeks I started to study music theory, added the 12 and 14 to the mix, and composing songs on paper. I hooked up my iMac 4 days ago and was blown away at how fast it started up. I have Photoshop and Illustrator running 9.2. I was looking at old software for it and came across this website. I was shocked a little but completely understood why there is a following on this OS because it is amazing. For being as underpowered as my iMac is this thing of beauty started faster than any mobile, computer, tablet device I have with some major software on it. The simplicity, sound (which varies depending on where you click on the screen, if wearing headphones, can be louder in one ear), and the way it controls just makes sense to me. I bought 2 512 sticks of ram that shipped today and I am currently looking for a  good DAW to collaborate my sketches saved on the POs. All suggestions are welcome, and I can also answer questions about Photoshop and Illustrator, hell even the POs too.  -afro-

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2016, 07:23:05 PM »
Ahhh… another convert feelin' the love…

Welcome! Just take some time and read through the DAW section. there are complete, ready to go downloads. You can start simple and move up as fast as you like. Digital recording is as complex an endeavor as you make it, so your desire for a new challenge is ready and waiting. Have fun!

Offline Mako

« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2016, 06:21:33 AM »
Thanks! Will do.

Offline Fizzgig

• new to the forums
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2016, 07:33:41 PM »
Hello!

I found this site after an internet friend sent me two hand-me-down Mac laptops for cost of shipping because she wasn't a Mac person and my Macbook had just been diagnosed with an ailing logic board. One of the two was a roughly-2008 Macbook Pro on which I am typing this post now. The other—and now we come to it—was a Powerbook G4 (model "5,1"—whatever that means—and circa 2004 I believe) which came to me running Tiger.

Naturally, the first thing I did with the G4 was try to get Classic mode up and running. My family's been using Macs since I was about four (we started with a Performa 630CD—which I still own and which still works!), and back in my teens I got really good at poking around with the classic Mac OS until it was just as I wanted it. So I stuck my old Mac OS 9 install CD in, as the machine had arrived sans Classic mode, and tried to install.

Well, it turns out that your average installer for the classic Mac OS… will only run under the classic Mac OS. It also turns out that you can't launch Classic from a system folder on a read-only CD… or copy that folder to a hard drive and launch it that way, apparently.

eBay was not forthcoming with model-specific disks (and my friend never had disks to begin with), so I started doing extensive research and ended up here, specifically at the "Mac OS 9.2.2 Install for Unsupported G4s" page. I thought, well, that IS pretty much what I have, so I downloaded the image, burned a CD…

…and lo and behold, booted the G4 into Mac OS 9. Wiped the drive, installed the OS, rebooted a few times to get the danged disk to eject :), and I am now very happily running Mac OS 9! I'm just going to keep it that way and not bother installing Tiger again. The only snags I've run into are 1) the system complains about "missing software" if I try to put it in sleep mode (I did some more research and I guess this is a side effect of not having machine-specific disks), 2) I get an error on every startup about a USB device with missing software even when nothing's connected, and 3) a couple of hardware snags that cropped up even under OS X—there doesn't seem to be an Airport card, so no internet, and sound is weirdly intermittent even with headphones. I might try and fix #3 at some point, but hey, almost-free machine and it's still highly awesome.

In the meantime, I am happily installing all my favorite 1990s-era software and reacquainting myself with Hypercard. I made an account so I could say thank you and maybe chat with other old-Mac nerds. :)

Offline Mako

« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2016, 02:38:23 AM »
I've used everymac.com to find out the specific tech history of my iMac. I'm sure they will have some answers for the "not sure what that means" question. The forum staff here are awesome and I've been reading alot of threads that include supernova77, sometimes I have no idea what they are talking about, but he can be entertaining :) Welcome and nice score on the free macs!!

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2016, 03:57:11 AM »
Welcome aboard peoples - I hope you find as much as you need for your OS9 machines here.

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2016, 09:00:12 AM »
Hi from Belgium. I started long ago with a ZX Spectrum with Basic and assembler. Then I became bachelor of informatics, specialized in systems analysis. I learned Pascal, Cobol, Prolog, DBase and C. I have written Cobol programs on the VAX Digital. In 1991 I moved to my first Macintosh with Modula-2, Scheme and Oberon. Then I moved to Windows 3.1 with Visual C++ when I worked for the ministry of housing. In 1998 I moved back to Macintosh with CodeWarrior C++ and Java. Since then I'm doing quite the same stuff. I do most of my work on a G4 MDD 1.25 GHz dual. What I can't do on this computer, I do that on a P4 dual 3 GHz with XP, W98 and Puppy Linux. I have also a beige Server G3/300 for testing new programs. I have also a G4 MDD 1.42 GHz dual FW400 that boots in OS 9.2.2, but it can also start up in OSX 10.4. I use OSX for watching DVD's. I have also an oldtimer P4 1.6 GHz so I can place my printer in another room. I use a Thinkpad T500 for wireless internet in the library (can go up to 300 mbps). I have 4 Palm handhelds (M130 that I use as a torch, E2, T5 and TX). I write programs for OS 9, OSX, Windows, Linux and Palm. I have also a few oldtimer handhelds (Sharp PC-1401 and Atari Portfolio) that I keep for their museum value.

Offline MacBubba

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2016, 08:39:40 AM »
Greetings ... accidentally found this site when trying to wrk out how to run Pagemaker 7 on a Sheepshaver incarnation of OS 9.  Hoping to learn about and share what I can about some excellent legacy software for OS 9.  Name is Dave, and from Perth, Western Australia.

Offline DPessell

• new to the forums
    • danpessell.com
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2016, 01:54:55 PM »
Hi. It's so great to be part of this group. I always thought I was strange for never wanting to get rid of my Mac G4/System 9/Cubase VST24. I may still be strange for other reasons, but now I know it has nothing to do with my enthusiasm for my original (and still excellent) DAW setup.

Can it get better? Yes, in fact I've already used this forum to inform my latest audio interface upgrade. Tonight, I'll start to set up the M-Audio Firewire 410 and see what develops. I am now and ever positive.

Thank you to everyone who had a hand in getting this great thing started and are sustaining it. I'm not really much of a chatter, and hesitate to seek out help. But I hope to come out of my shell a bit and contribute to this enterprise.

Thanks again.
Your obedient servant,
Dan Pessell
Dan Pessell, singer/songwriter/recording musician

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2016, 02:49:18 PM »
Tonight, I'll start to set up the M-Audio Firewire 410 and see what develops.

Please report back on your success or failure with the FW 410. We're currently in the middle of trying to troubleshoot a member's system with one of those right now. We'd be especially interested in the ASIO driver(s) that work or don't work for you.

Offline DPessell

• new to the forums
    • danpessell.com
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2016, 07:13:30 PM »
My initial tryout of the 410 hasn't yielded anything good yet--I was only trying to listen to an existing Cubase VST24 file, testing my monitors. Slow, choppy & clipped. But, neither have I fully read the manual. Full disclosure--my previous interface was an edirol 2 in/2 out USB thingy. This is my first interface with any power or potential. I have a lot to read. I'll try to come up with a report by evening, 2/7/16. And if it works, I'll get the drivers uploaded for the other member who is struggling.
Dan Pessell, singer/songwriter/recording musician

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2016, 10:45:42 PM »
Thanks Dan!

Offline felixding

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2016, 12:16:37 AM »
Hi there,

I'm very glad I could find Mac OS 9 die hards here. Nobody I personally know use classic Mac OS anymore, and no one even appreciates the simplicity of it, until I found this website. Cheers!

About me. I'm a computer geek living in Shanghai, China.

I love alternative rock like Pink Floyd & Radiohead, but in fact I listen to almost every genre of music (7000+ songs in iTunes). 

Reading is another thing I do a lot. Currently I'm reading The Man in the Hight Castle.