Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361662 times)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2016, 04:16:11 AM »
I much prefer Mac OS 9 but as I have no access to a wired network where I am in the house, I have no way of connecting an OS 9 machine to the internet.
Welcome Milko!
Do you know that it is quite easy these days to use an external Accespoint? They are cheap, extremely small, and offer W-Lan (all standards) for every Ethernet connection. Additionally seveal routers still have WEP encryption for the original Airport cards, and it "just" has to be activated in the routers configs.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2016, 09:03:39 AM »
Hi there,

In an attempt to 're-invigorate' my Classic Mac hobby and my recording studio I'm getting involved in the discussion here.  My first Mac experiences were in sound studio work more than 20 years ago, beginning with Protools Mix hardware, then later on Sonic Solutions professional DAW systems spanning 68k nubus through 604e PPC PCI.  Ironically, even though I got into the Mac game much later than some, the first Mac I actually owned myself (second-hand) was a Classic.  Eventually I worked up from there to amass a very large and diverse collection up through to an Xserve G4 Rev 1.  My passion is in hardware upgrades and mods to make the most out of each of these aging systems.  Right now I am trying to build DAW systems with Protools TDM PCI and Nubus as well as MOTU PCI and working to integrate them within my established network of Sonic Solutions systems.

I'm looking forward to joining the conversation here and I think I have lots of information to contribute as much as I have to gain.  What really sparked my interest this year was the development of booting OS9 on some of the unsupported hardware.  This finally made use of a 'derelict' MDD that had been shoved away in a corner because it now boots OS9!  I am really excited that this project continues to move forward and I expect we'll see big things this year.  I'll be looking for some guidance in the Protools department at some point, but hopefully I can be of help to the community on other fronts as well.

Regards,
  MacOS Plus

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2016, 08:04:03 PM »
Welcome aboard MacOS Plus! There's a number of us here with ProTools Mix systems! ;D

Offline Ruben Huizenga

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2016, 11:09:09 AM »
Hey all!

Ruben from Toronto here.
Have had a project studio for quite some time, and have been using PT TDM 5.1.3 on os9 right up till
a few years ago when my friend told me stop being such a curmudgeon.
(complete with good ol' 888 24's.)

Have been using PT 8 HD since then, but with the exception of the waves vocal tuner, and PT's recent "warp" function,
my productivity hasn't changed.

I know people love the delay compensation of newer PT, but outside of phase critical tracks (like drum mics,)
I haven't really had problems.

IMO, PT 5.1.3 reached a threshold of usability (mostly with Beat Detective,) and has only incrementally gotten better since. (Speed-users will no doubt argue..)

Anyway, think I'm gonna fire up ol' "Nessy" again!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2016, 10:29:09 PM »
Hey Ruben... A bunch of us around here use PT 5.1.3 so by all means... fire up 'Nessy'!! ;D

Offline randomdiego

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2016, 04:06:48 PM »
Hi there!

I'm Diego, newer on macintosh but incredible was my first computer. Now I'm using a 400mhz ruby iMac g3 with OS 9.2.2 -downloaded from here-...thanks for keep this OS running!

Offline Roman & Vika

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2016, 07:26:06 PM »
My name is Vika. I registered on the site a couple of days ago but got no confirmation reply. I was however able to sign in so I'm just making sure I've done everything properly.  :) Although Mac OS9 is old it is very new to me. I'm excited about finding out what it can do.  :)

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2016, 10:16:00 PM »
Welcome Diego and Vika! It's a pleasure to see new members coming every day!

Offline Roman & Vika

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2016, 02:40:34 AM »
Thank you Gary!  :)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2016, 05:19:58 AM »
It's a pleasure to see new members coming every day!

Yes it is! Welcome new peeps!! ;D

Offline Damian9303

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2016, 04:32:30 PM »
I feel that Mac OS 9 Lives! Forums is a pretty good forum page where everyone who likes Mac OS 9 and thinks it should be used as a secondary comes here to get all the downloads to use Mac OS 9 but kinda Normal Means which is fantastic to anyone who wants to just say that they own a Mac and that they use it too. Great site! 10/10!

Offline ranjuro

• Newcomer
  • Long time caller, first time listener
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2016, 09:26:55 AM »
Hello there everybody.  I'm a lifelong musician, writer, maker, and technology hacker.  I pay my bills writing software, which is boring, so enough about that.  I've been using Macs to further my musical goals since some time in the early 90's when I used the Macs and laserprinters at Kinkos to make J-cards for my bands tapes. 

I have a philosophy and it is this:  Newer gear doesn't render older gear obsolete as long as the older gear can still do the job.  Sometimes, in fact, older gear is better suited to the job than the newer, faster, lighter, whatever.  So, my studio is a mish mash of stuff, a 500mhz iMac G3 sits next to a 3ghz quad-core home-build Windows PC, a Core2 Duo MacMini and a couple modern MacBooks.  I also keep an old iPad 2, iPhone 4, and iPhone 5 around as DSP/effects processors, tuners, lyrics displays, portable mics (the iPhone 4 with a clipped on Tascam 30-pin XY condenser stereo mic is a slick little setup)... you name it.  If it boots and chimes and still runs happy, it has a place in my studio somewhere or another. 

My wife and I have a house and some land a little ways out of town with a few dogs, and a workshop and a barn that I'm converting into a recording studio.  I'm active in the Twin Cities music scene, playing in various bands, recording solo stuff, gigging, recording with various people, the usual stuff.  I hike and I need to lose a few pounds and I have a fishing boat and a kayak and too many hobbies.  I'm here at MacOS9Lives because I've been using Mac stuff long enough to have seen it debut, have it's heyday, and fade into obsolescence and now this is how I can keep it humming in my studio.  That little iMac G3 still runs Reason like a champ.  If I can keep all my old stuff going, that's more money to mod microphones, buy guitars I don't need, build rooms in my barn, and basically keep having fun making music.

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2016, 02:37:12 PM »
That little iMac G3 still runs Reason like a champ.

I remember the Reason 2.5 and Cubase VST v4 on these - they were pretty stable machines and got through alot.

Welcome aboard! :)

Offline Bondi

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2016, 05:08:04 PM »
Hello all and thanks for letting me join the group!  I was amazed when I found this site a few years back and saw it all about OS 9 **and** music production.  Those are two of my favorite things about computers.  Music is why I'm still on an "old" G4 almost everyday...well, that and the fact that I just like it.  It was my main computer and OS until probably 2 years ago.

What I mostly do with my Mac is write songs in MIDI and then occasionally record with the result as backing tracks.  I started with Harmony Assistant and Sound Sculptor II, I believe, back in the AOL days.  Soon afterwards, I found the program EasyBeat which has been the thing for me because of the way it can handle tablature and drums.  My setup is pretty simple compared to using the full-on DAW applications mentioned here, but it's the very best thing I have ever found for capturing and fleshing-out songs as you make them up.  It works best with OS9 ...and I think I do too. 

Anyway, this seems like a community with a lot of cool folks.  I'm looking forward to learning more from you all and hopefully contributing here too.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 07:18:51 AM by Bondi »

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2016, 06:55:16 AM »
keep having fun making music.

Keep on keeping' on ranjuro! ;D

this seems like a community with a lot of cool folks.

Most of us here think so but we're a little bias! Haha! ;D

Welcome aboard kids!! ;D ;D

Offline dasstraf

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2016, 04:05:54 AM »
Hello fellow vintage mac savers, my name is alain and i am from belgium. I have a couple of vintage mac's that i tried to put back in their original state but always had troubles to put classic back on there. The main reason i came here is because i found a powerbook 180c but the hard drive is broken. I have the images to restore the os but i can't seem to find a hard drive for it (not for a reasonable price anyway), and belgium doesn't seem to have a vintage mac scene. So i was glad to find this site. Thanks for this site and keep up the good work.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2016, 04:20:46 AM »
Welcome dasstraf. Just to be crystal clear from the beginning, we are not really "vintage". ;) We are using our PPC Macs up to 2GHz day to day mainly with Mac OS 9.2.2
Your Powerbook is a 33MHz 68k one and runs as maximum OS Mac OS 7.5.5. That is vintage. I am sure we will nevertheless try to help you with your vintage 68k Mac. If there is once a question we may not be able to answer, you may have a look at https://68kmla.org/ where the very experianced 68k-crowd is  hanging around.

Offline dasstraf

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2016, 04:33:53 AM »
Hi Mat, thank's for the warm welcome. And thank's for the link for the vintage mac's. I own a couple of g3,g4 and g5 also, so i think i can learn a few things here as well. Most things i learned with trial and error by myself, so again thanks for this site.

Offline toples50

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2016, 11:30:56 AM »
Hello guys.

Offline willnubu

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2016, 02:56:01 AM »
My name is Will & I make music on my computer. I started on Windows XP with Magix Hip Hop Music Maker, then went to Magix Music Maker 2003 deluxe before jumping ship to fl studio 5. In 2006, I went to Mac because I got tired of viruses from internet Explorer. I bought Logic Express 7, read up on the software & realize it had a long history. So I started buying old versions of Logic which led me to buying old Mac computers. In messing around with these computers, I wanted to set them up like my newer Mac, but with older software which led me to sites such as Macos9lives.