Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361935 times)

Offline TheBang

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »
Good day all.  I've been using Macs since 1985, and look back with wistful nostalgia at the System 6, 7 days.

Offline nuanda966

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2015, 12:02:50 AM »
Hello,
happy to join you in this vintage forum and site.

I'm from Italy and i use Mac since 1984

I'm a proud user of :
- Color Classic II
- 20th anniversary Mac - TAM with supercharged CPU , Sonnet G3 500 mhz and plenty of add-on.
- Cube supercharged

i'm very happy to find again some enthusiast of these unique machine and OS's .

Thanks

Max

Offline Mardeec

• Enthusiast Member
Hello All
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2015, 08:14:46 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure how this happened, but one day I woke up, and it made sense to start collecting old Macs.  I have a Classic II, 7.0.1 that I was able to connect to the web using an Asante EN/SC adapter, and I picked up a Summer 2000 500 Mhz iMAC G3 on Craigslist for $40.  It has 10.2.8, but my plans are to install 9.2.2 and Cubasis VST 2.0, and use it with an M-Audio Firewire 410 interface that I picked up cheap.

I'm glad I found this site, and it's encouraging to find others so committed to keeping these Macs alive.  I've already learned a lot, and hope I can contribute something as I work on the iMac.

Marty     

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2015, 09:20:09 AM »
Welcome TheBang and nuanda966... you're in good company now!!  ;D ;D

Those are some 'fancy' Macs that you have there Max!! ;D

Ciao

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2015, 10:20:46 AM »
I like these iMacs G3 as music machines because they are so quiet. Miss that when I use my current work horse.
My single 1.25 MDD...(and I already replaced the power supply fans)
I always found my iMac as powerful for MIDI production with some virtual instruments.

*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Hello All
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2015, 04:43:36 PM »

I picked up a Summer 2000 500 Mhz iMAC G3 on Craigslist for $40. 

Can't go wrong for 40 bucks!!😁😁

Offline Iria2

• Mac OS/NeXT Fanatic
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2015, 05:23:37 AM »
Hey all!

I'm from the US, specifically Portland. I've been dabbling in vintage Macs for a few years now. I'm right at home with my Snakebite G4 and my SE/30 (which I recapped myself). I love to tinker and make up new ways to exacerbate old problems!

Offline slash606

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »
Hey all,

I'm here mainly because I was deeply interested in Korg's OASYS PCI card and the physical modelling technology available with it. I started off trying to do a Win98 build, but I ran into more problems than were worth fixing, so I bought an MDD and this forum has been a blessing with all of its software! ;D

So now, I'll lurk around and post whenever I can!

Charles  -afro-

Offline tomekx

• new to the forums
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2015, 07:54:57 AM »
Hello.
Old Mac was my first computer in the studio. Still using it today. Nice to see people running the same old mac as i do.

Offline bwait

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2015, 11:07:08 PM »
Hi everyone,

So glad to have found this forum. I was a long-time user of opcode studio vision, and even before that the original opcode sequencer. In fact, I got a personal demo and my first of copy of sequencer and galaxy editor from Dave Opennheim himself at his home in Palo Alto.  I think he was the sole developer at that time, and sequencer had not been officially released.  I gave up (sort of) on SVP when Gibson gave up on it.  I switched to ProTools, but still miss the MIDI support and ease of use of SVP. So, here I am, back setting up a QS G4 to run SVP. 

Feel free to drop me a message if you want to share fond memories of the old MIDI 1.0 days. I appreciate the expertise shared on this forum and hope to contribute to it as well once I get back into the fray.

-Brad 

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2015, 02:11:30 PM »
From BWait
I got a personal demo and my first of copy of sequencer and galaxy editor from Dave Opennheim himself at his home in Palo Alto.

Wow... that is an amazing story, it was an exciting time to see Musicians start utilizing and embracing computers, now I feel old... thanks for sharing :)

Offline zErec

• new to the forums
« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2015, 11:09:35 AM »
Hello dear Users.

Glad I found this cool Website/Forum recently.

I´m 38y old z!Erec from Germany.
Since 1985 Amiga longtime User.
I loved and still love to use my Amiga A4000T and Shapeshifter/Fusion (OS 7/8) and even iFusion G3 Mac Emulator (OS9).

In the meanwhile I have collected quiet many original Macs.

15" PowerBook G4 1.67GHz (MacOS/MorphOS)
MacMini G5 1.5GHz (MacOS/MorphOS)
PowerMac G4 MDD DP 1.42GHz
PowerMac G5 2.5GHz Quad (MacOS 10.4/10.5/ (new)LinuxPPC)

next to

Amiga CD32/SX32Pro
Amiga A600 w Vampire600 FPGA Accelerator
Amiga A4000T/PPC
AmigaOne X1000 (DP 1.8GHz PA-Semi) with AmigaOS 4.1.FE & (4.x Betas)
Atari Falcon X 68060/SuperVidel Combo

Hope to meet many cool people here ;-)

C´ya
z!E

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2016, 07:13:56 AM »

15" PowerBook G4 1.67GHz (MacOS/MorphOS)
MacMini G5 1.5GHz (MacOS/MorphOS)
PowerMac G4 MDD DP 1.42GHz
PowerMac G5 2.5GHz Quad (MacOS 10.4/10.5/ (new)LinuxPPC)

next to

Amiga CD32/SX32Pro
Amiga A600 w Vampire600 FPGA Accelerator
Amiga A4000T/PPC
AmigaOne X1000 (DP 1.8GHz PA-Semi) with AmigaOS 4.1.FE & (4.x Betas)
Atari Falcon X 68060/SuperVidel Combo

Nice collection! ;D

Never used Amiga but they seemed very cool!!

Offline macaddiiict

• Newcomer
  • Who needs updates?
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »
Hello, all! I was very happy to come across this site. I have been a Mac fan since I first played Brickles on one in 4th grade. My first Mac was a Performa 6360 from Sears (ha! man, that thing was awesome).

Over time, my educational options pushed me to Windows and then I made my way back to Mac OS X in college. I enjoyed OS X from 10.3 to 10.5, but then I started to feel disconnected and didn't enjoy it as much. I ping-ponged between Windows and Mac over the years, upgrading my Mac constantly, hoping to get that sense of satisfaction I had on OS 9 machines. I had a retina MBP and upgraded to 10.10 and just really didn't like it at all. It was enough of a mess that I got the crazy idea to go back to OS 9 completely.

I am the happy owner of a nice Titanium Powerbook 1GHz and a Dual 1GHZ Quicksilver. I am enjoying being back in the OS 9 world and feel like the limits I've run into on the systems are actually helpful. Short filenames make me be thoughtful about what I name things. Limited icon sizes for image previews make me file things in a way that makes sense rather than one big folder. And having the looming chance of a crash makes me think about what resources I am using on the computer rather than trying to do 100 things at once.

I haven't found a good OS-9 browser compatible email service (webmail), but perhaps I'll get there one of these days. Thanks for welcoming me to this community -- it is fun to relive some of the good stuff I remember, and even better to know I won't have to deal with upgrades and headaches from new software.

All the best and happy 2016!
-Stephen

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: January 01, 2016, 05:00:13 PM »
I haven't found a good OS-9 browser compatible email service (webmail), but perhaps I'll get there one of these days.

Have you tried Classilla?
http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

Offline [email protected]

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2016, 01:35:27 PM »
I have loved the Mac operating system since my 1988 Mac Plus. I fooled around with DOS at the same time, and watched it slowly evolve into a clunky simulation of the Mac OS. Who remembers Windows 3.0? Anyway, I had fun with PCs because my dad and I liked to tinker with the innards of the things, and to this day, I run both. However, I have this G4 that I really love to mess with. Inside and out. I have set it up, torn it down, set it up, and torn it down I can't tell you how many times. The OS 9.1 is as smooth as silk. Much smoother than the 10Xs I have, and everytime I see that spinning color-wheel in 10X it's like looking at the enemy. Give me my counting fingers back! Anyway, I am here because I set it up again and needed to make an appearance on this Introduction site. So, there it is. I am so glad for this forum, and glad to know that there are others who feel the same as I about the classical Macs. Thank you.

Offline somemusic

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2016, 08:03:25 AM »
Hi everyone glad to be onboard, rescued a couple of G4 powerbooks that my stepdad was going to bin, going to take the plunge and put 0s9 on them to  supplement my studio
Running a 2011 MBP still on mountain lion with Maschine as my main noise maker

excited to see what is possible!

check out my soundcloud here :
https://soundcloud.com/somemusic-productions

Offline Milko

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2016, 03:10:36 PM »
Hi. I'm new to the forum but I might as well post something. The first computer I ever remember using was my mum's Power Macintosh 6500 she bought in 1997. Ever since then I've been into macs, I mainly used PCs up until 2014 when I started using macs, my main computer then was a Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 466MHz with 768MB of RAM. I used 10.4.11 Tiger for about a year. I much prefer Mac OS 9 but as I have no access to a wired network where I am in the house, I have no way of connecting an OS 9 machine to the internet. I've tried sharing internet with various PC's and even getting an AirPort basestation to share the signal but none of it works.

Offline mossy_11

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2016, 08:06:01 PM »
Hello!

I was very excited to discover this site a few months ago. I'm a lifelong Mac user — started with a Mac Plus when I was a wee lad then got a new Mac every 4-5 years since (though sadly I don't have any of those old ones except an eMac and a G4 tower that my dad bought second-hand for his office) — and while these days I'm very much tethered to the OS X Intel for the bulk of my daily computing world I still prefer the look and feel of classic Mac OS.

In the past year I've got my hands on a Lombard PowerBook G3, a late-model iBook G3, and a Performa 580CD, all of which I'm trying to restore with new batteries, upgraded RAM, and whatever other improvements I can muster. Also getting my dad to bring our old eMac and Power Mac G4 to my house soon so I can set those up. I'm hoping to switch to OS 9 for production of my podcast.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2016, 01:44:18 AM »
Welcome 2016 new guys!😁  You've inspired me to drag my old Mac Plus out of storage... Hopefully soon I'll get some time to crack it open and see what kind of shape it's in!