Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361627 times)

Offline khun

• Newcomer
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2015, 11:16:56 PM »
Back to the forum
 -afro-

Offline 1836

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2015, 11:33:21 PM »
Hi! Lifetime Mac user here looking to recapture the "good old days" of Mac OS 9 and particularly, take advantage of the myriad abandonware now available for this classic OS.

Recently purchased a Powerbook G4 Titanium, much like the one that I had years ago. Looking forward to getting it to boot into OS 9 (not quite sure how yet!). At 1Ghz, it's way faster than the 667 I actually had back when those were new.

I also have an old iBook G3 Clamshell 466 that I need to get running OS 9. I wonder if I can do this from a USB drive?

I look forward to the discussions!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2015, 06:55:22 AM »

. Looking forward to getting it to boot into OS 9 (not quite sure how yet!). At 1Ghz, it's way faster than the 667 I actually had back when those were new

This might get you started!  ;D

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=900.0

Offline pfaffian

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2015, 01:01:57 AM »
Hi All,

I'm interested in Opcode Galaxy editors.

Cheers,

Pfaffian

Offline kloveland

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »
I have a G3 setup in my office that I still use. It’s running Mac OS 9.2.2 and I use it to run all of my old software. Even though it’s outdated it’s still a great computer and the older operating is so much easier to use and diagnose when I have problems.

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2015, 03:01:29 PM »
Oh wow, where in the heck do I start?

Well, my name is Troy, and I have been on this earth for 47 years now, which means-yeah, I go back to the original Macintosh although my first one was the Mac Plus. Now i have 13 Macs ranging from that Plus to the 2014 Mini i7. I am running everything from System 6 to 10.11.1.

But out of all of them, it is OS9 that still has my heart. the way you can customize the look and feel, the speed it has on modernish hardware, and the apps designed by folks who knew what "Think Different" really meant. Plus machines that reflected personality as opposed to the prison like feel of the modern design. There is only so many rectangle aluminum boxes one can have. . . . .

I have been with the same man since 1993 and finally could marry him in 2011. I still say I have been married since 1993 because I would have done it then if I could have.  He accepts my Mac "addiction" much as I accept his car "addiction". He uses the iPad much more than I ever hope to, so that "addiction" is slowly spreading....

I have worked for the other camp (Microsoft) in the MBU (Mac Business Unit) for way too many years before moving to Wachovia (more money, better schedule, closer commute) which as you know went up in flames during the housing crises earlier this decade. Since then I have been a stay-at-home husband and find this career is much more to my likes. 

So, the machines:

Mac Plus
Mac SE/30
PowerMac 7300/200
iMac DV+ G3
G4 iMac USB2 20" (what I am using right now)
G4 QS (2002)
G4 Cube (500 Mhz)
G4 MDD FW800
eMac USB 2.0
G5 dual 1.8Ghz
iMac Intel (2007)
Mac Pro Intel 2.8 Ghz 8 Core
2014 Mac Mini i7
iPad 2.0

Politically I am a moderate, although anymore I feel there is no real choice in the system save the Green Party, you either vote for the moneyed classes and the oligarchs or you go a different direction all together. Oh, and I do support Cascadia. . . . .

But then again, I do "Think Different" anyway, and that is why I am a Mac man.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline CTSAudio

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Members Introduction...
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2015, 01:13:44 AM »
Found this site while trying to locate OS9 resources to rebuild my Protools Mix 24. rig using 9600/300, G3,G4 in various configurations for a small format recording studio and some audio engineering on the side.

I enjoy both analog and digital audio, and currently run a sideline audio business. build and repair vintage audio gear. I enjoy recording and playing drums, guitar, keys , and bass. business link below

https://sites.google.com/site/diypartsstore/home

I have owned many Macs , worked as a Mac service provider in my early years of employment as a Apple factory certified tech. years ago , 020,030,040 and early PPC era in Silicon Valley. Also worked for Avid /Digidesign , Adobe , and in broadcast radio.

You could say I like to mix art and technology together in various ways. Appreciate the opportunity to become part of this online community.

I still have a PB180c that i love to play an old strategy game by Sid Meiers , Civilization I . One of my favorite old Macs running OS 7.5.3 . Nostalgic entertainment. The AI on this game really has a tantrum when its loosing. very amusing.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:56:20 AM by CTSAudio »

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2015, 06:24:40 AM »
Hello and welcome to the 'new kids'! ;D

CTSAudio... had fun kicking' around your DIY site... seems I've been getting the itch to build some old school audio stuff. Built some guitar amps @ 20 years ago (that I still use today) but mostly just the occasional repair these days. ;D

Offline CTSAudio

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2015, 12:06:34 AM »
Thanks for your reply,(audio) its fun stuff , just wish I had more time on my hands. Finding this Forum to be a great place so far. I'll have to contribute some goodies to the software library.

Offline cc333

• Valued Member
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2015, 08:28:24 PM »
Hi There,

I'm new here, but I've been fairly active at ThinkClassic and 68kMLA for some time now, and I thought I'd try expanding a bit, as I have recently begun to learn Pro Tools, and I thought it'd be fun to someday figure out how to set it up on one of my many PPC Macs running Mac OS 9.

I look forward to contributing here more often!

c

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
Welcome aboard Kultronic and cc333! There's a pretty good Cubase and PT contingent here so you should be right at home!😁

Offline Gardeive

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2015, 11:33:05 AM »
Hey! My name is Kamil.

While I was not raised in a family that used Macs, I always had a thing for either older or simply uncommon computers - the Amiga, Macintosh, Atari and so on. Since Macs were not really popular back in the day in my country I opted in to look hard for a few. Well, today I got a PowerBook G3 Lombard with a dead L2 Cache (that comes back after long, warm sessions of Mac games :D) and I just got a PowerMac G4, literally 2 hours ago. I'm still grabbing a proper ISO because my old CDs stopped working for some reason...

Anyways, that's it - I'm mostly here to have fun as I love Macs, especially the old ones! :)

Keep on thinking differently ;)

Offline AtariMan

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2015, 08:46:29 AM »
Hello! I'm from Russia. Powered by G4, Logic Audio 5 and Pro Tools 5.
Midi writing on ATARI MEGA ST 4.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2015, 10:43:14 AM »
I love Macs, especially the old ones! :)

I guess you came to the right place then!! ;D

Welcome!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2015, 10:46:04 AM »
Welcome AtariMan from Russia! Looks like you cover a lot of ground with your Logic/PT/Atari set up! ;D

Offline probot

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2015, 09:14:08 PM »
hey,

i'm using macs since 1999, started with a g3. then got a g4 sawtooth and then a mdd 1.25ghz. currently i'm on a macbook pro which serves all my needs just fine but i want to resurrect the old mdd as daw for fun.

cheers

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2015, 02:23:55 PM »
Welcome probot! You've definitely come to the right place!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2015, 03:02:57 PM »
i want to resurrect the old mdd as daw for fun.

And fun it will be!! ;D

Offline rabbitfist

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2015, 12:19:34 PM »
Hi, thanks for adding me. I starting using cubase vst on a mac back in 1996 and have been wanting to get my old set up running in an emulator for years. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2015, 10:07:27 AM »
Welcome Rabbitfist... If you're a Cubase fan you're gonna want to check out this ridiculously good download that DieHard and MacTron put together... it installs in about 2 minutes and will give you a fresh OS 9.2.2/ Cubase and tons of plugs/instruments... CRAZY cool!!! Go get it!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2716.0