Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361789 times)

Offline greatinterface

Re: Members Introduction...and question
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2015, 07:38:55 PM »
Hi guys ,this is Nick from Greatinterface still chugging away on several 1,25 g4s using logic 4,7 can get a bit sticky running 24 trks with too many plugins and virtual synths but I still love it ,was considering getting a couple of unitors for sync run ,audio on one machine and synths on the other . the little mt4s really cleaned up my midi as I used to have a lot of probs with the motu midi timepiece and that extra layer of software formerly known as OMS ,now banished . By the way I am the guy who clarified the no more than 1 gig of ram problem with logic in Os 9 ,was there ever a work around for that ? Anyway  another on going quest is to truly be able to CLONE a drive ,I have asked you Os 9 GODS about this before and of coarse its easy to move all files from one drive to another and make a bootable copy but that does not bring up the old desk top or my nicely arranged program icons ,I am still missing something .I guess I need Carbon copy or similar  have looked on the site but cant seem to find it ,any suggestions . Thanks for all the great archiving and all that you have done to provide support to all the other os9 diehards out there
                                 all the best
                                    Nick

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2015, 09:44:05 PM »
Welcome Niok!

I have something here that might be just what you're looking for. It's intended to remember and reset your desktop when you change monitor resolutions but it might work for you. Your problem is probably NOT that you're cloning / moving drives, but that you're ending up on a different monitor. This app simply remembers the positions and such of all things on your desktop, then restores them on command. It might help... who knows?

Offline greatinterface

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2015, 11:12:56 PM »
Got it, thanks will try it ,but do you think it would solve the original cloning problem if I booted in osx ,ran an osx version of ccc and then changed the startup drive to os9 on the new drive .I am running on a MDD 1.25 with a nice clean system built from the original restore discs which set up for dual boot with all my os 9 stuff totally smooth .I could build a new drive and reinstall everything but i wanna clone

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2015, 03:32:03 AM »
Hi to all new members.

...I have asked you Os 9 GODS about this before and of coarse its easy to move all files from one drive to another and make a bootable copy but that does not bring up the old desk top or my nicely arranged program icons ,I am still missing something .I guess I need Carbon copy or similar  have looked on the site but cant seem to find it ,any suggestions ...

I think you can use Apple's DiskCopy and ASR to archive best results!
It even should preserve many Software Activations and i think desktop appearance too.

Download it from the forum.
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1822.0

Made public by courtesy of this awesome forum!
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2015, 06:11:11 AM »
Welcome Ale, winter, JAPP, svetitom and greatinterface!!

"The best I can do there  is take out the battery so that my wife wont bother me when I'm busy.."

It's tips like these that really help out all of us here!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2015, 12:29:29 PM »
I first used a Mac at work in the last 80s - a Plus with system 5 I think. This was totally different to any other computer I'd used, and soon fell in love with it.
My first (and last) brand new Mac purchase was in 1994 - a Performa 475 which still sees use today.
The most modern Mac I own is a G4 933, whilst I'm writing this on a PM8500 running my favourite OS - 8.1. It all started to go down hill after that....
I've tried using alternative OSs but they just annoy me.
I use my Macs for all sorts of things, but mainly for data processing tasks. My audio escapades are limited to creating some alerts via the built-in microphone!
I've been reading the forum for a while but think this is my first post. I would use it more if it was more Mac web browser friendly....

Offline dougkeener

• new to the forums
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2015, 12:35:33 PM »
Hello From the Pacific Northwest.  I cut my teeth on an Atari ST running Cubase, then later moved to a Performa.  I recently literally dug a MDD out the trash and got it running.  I am very grateful for this resource as I find most new systems too bloated to get any real work done. Thanks again!

Doug Keener

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2015, 01:29:16 PM »
I've been reading the forum for a while but think this is my first post. I would use it more if it was more Mac web browser friendly....

Do you use Classilla? If not, why not?

http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2015, 04:09:20 PM »
I understood he is using 8.1 and i think classila would need 8.6 minimum
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2015, 08:58:23 PM »
That's actually a very good reason…

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2015, 06:39:01 AM »
I just realized I never really posted in this thread to introduce myself.

Hi!

My first experience with a Mac was also my first experience with a computer and it was on a Mac TV.  What a odd, limited machine that was. I still use it today for some midi things just for nostalgic purposes.

Next I got a Clamshell iBook and started doing recording on that with Cubase.  Since then I've pretty much kept up with getting on of every major change in the iBook line. 

So there is my Mac history.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline trent3

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2015, 10:08:41 AM »
Hi macos9lives! Glad I stumbled across this forum. I've been producing eletronica since the late 90's.  Had an old Mix|24 in the early 2000's and loved it! Rock solid platform on an old G4 MDD with OS9.2.2. Couldn't be happier to find a group of like-minded individuals who are keeping this great OS alive and kicking.  -afro-

Offline MysticCow

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2015, 11:46:24 AM »
Heavens, I never did inroduce myself and I've been lurking for so long!

I've been a Mac user since I bought my iMac G3 700 in 2001 (and it still works!).  Over time, my little collection has grown to include:

1. The first one--iMac G3 700 MHz
2. PowerBook G4 that I regrettably sold
3. iBook G3 900 MHz that fell victim to the infamous logic board failure
4. PowerMac G4 Digital Audio 733 MHz
5. PowerMac G5 dual 2.0 GHz
6. Intel Mac mini core i5 (mid 2011) with the Radeon graphics

I actually found this site thanks to MacRumors and their equally wonderful PowerPC forum.  And since my G5 is now running 10.5 and my mini runs El Cap, I decided to use my G4 DA for Mac OS 9 use only.  In fact, I'm posing from it using Classilla.

I am also a licensed music teacher and use a lot of specialized software for Mac, some of which I am trying to find a least an equivalent under OS 9.  This forum is a GODSEND for someone like me.  :D

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2015, 02:57:32 PM »
WOW !! Welcome, welcome all !

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2015, 09:47:39 AM »

Do you use Classilla? If not, why not?

http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

I do when using OS8.6+ machines, like today when I'm on a G4 400. But it's not my first choice, due mainly to slow speed and high memory requirements. It would be nice if IE wasn't blocked from this site....

Offline Etienne

« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2015, 07:38:53 PM »
Hi :-)

From 1989 till 1994 I was working in an office and got in touch with macs. I did enjoy the exact positive user experience everybody's talking about. My first private computer was a G4 PowerMac (sawtooth) in 1999. Ready for the new millennium. I was studying music and MacOS9 was my reliable companion for many years. 9 is running definitely smoother than X on this machine.

Nonetheless since 2010 I own a MacPro and do my main work on MacOSX. What I really miss are my favorite 9-progs like D-SoundPro, Infinity and SonicWorx. I can't find something similar in the X-world. Because I don't have my G4 anymore I'm running SheepShaver for these sample tools right now. Perhaps I'm going to buy PPC again - we'll see.

Glad to be here and best regards
Etienne

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2015, 11:15:26 PM »
What I really miss are my favorite 9-progs like D-SoundPro, Infinity and SonicWorx. Because I don't have my G4 anymore I'm running SheepShaver for these sample tools right now.

Welcome Etienne! I don't know about D-Sound and Infinity, but I'll bet you can run Sonicworx in Sheepshaver and it's right HERE:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=856.0

Give it a try and tell us what happens!

Offline Etienne

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2015, 12:10:21 AM »
Welcome Etienne!
Hi Gary!

I don't know about D-Sound and Infinity, but I'll bet you can run Sonicworx in Sheepshaver
D-Sound and Infinity working here in SheepShaver so far. My problem is the installation of SonicWorx. I got an error. Incomplete or damaged installer. That happens with files I've downloaded from elsewhere. Also from within OS9-SheepShaver.

it's right HERE: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=856.0
Can't access the file right now.

Give it a try and tell us what happens!
... I will tell you

Offline Alex

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2015, 12:01:25 PM »
Hello

I have been a member for a little while but I had no idea that I could introduce myself.

First of all, thank you to the moderators and the people responsible for this amazing resource. I have to use it much more.

Well, I have been a Mac user since 1985 or so but my first Mac was a IIx that I purchased circa 1987. I purchased it with a 13" Apple Color Monitor (a Trinitron tube) and a 24 bit color card. Having millions of colors back then was quite incredible and the card I had with a little init could give me 256 color or was it thousands BUT the desktop was tall and I could scroll the virtual desktop. Does anyone remember that?

I have never actually owned PC believe it or not but I do collect Macs and Apple related software and hardware. I have a modest list of Macs and as I write this I am in the middle of cleaning up a really beautiful Power Mac G4 Quicksilver.

I also am a regular contributor and participant on the "Apple Macintosh Enthusiasts" Facebook group, which is actually a very nice hangout but now that I remember Mac OS 9 lives I will be coming here with some questions for sure.

A real treat to be here and thank you for taking the time to read my post.
—Alex

Offline tyronesdaddy

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2015, 01:07:29 PM »
Hello All,
I joined  a week or so back and thought I would introduce myself.  I have been a Mac user since around 1996 or 97 when I bought a Performa 6400.  I bought a PowerMac MDD867 in early 2003 and it currently runs OS 10.4.11 and 9.2.2.  I also have an Imac (mid 2010) core I3 running Snow Leopard and Mavericks.  I really have to say I like Snow Leopard best of any OS I have ever used.  The Imac also has Win XP via bootcamp.  From a usability and stability standpoint I have to say XP is a pile of crap compared to OS X.  I use Classic on the MDD machine for some productivity apps like Photoshop and File Maker and the OS 9 for some games mostly.