Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361493 times)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2015, 08:10:33 AM »

I've now got a great setup where all sequencing is done on Ableton 9 in the Macbook and sent via MIDI to the Powerbook running Ableton 4 , which hosts VSTi's and receives Rebirth audio via Rewire.  This audio is then mixed down to about 10 channels  and sent back to the Macbook via two MOTU 828s connected via lightpipe and coax SPDIF.  Rock solid and sounds fantastic

Hey there and welcome 3rd Degree... sounds like you've got quite a fun setup going' on there!! ;D

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2015, 08:13:19 AM »

I'd forgotten how snappy the OS is and how the 'curved' 3D user interface really helps speed up navigation compared to modern 'flat' UI design.

Exactly!!! ;D ;D

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2015, 08:15:43 AM »

A must see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icGWQZw5n24

I watched that on Netflix a while ago but didn't know there was a 'Hardcore' edition!! ;D

Offline 3rd Degree

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2015, 08:34:15 PM »
jealous of the sub 37  8) 8) 8)
Yeah - it's so well laid out and flexible. I think it's the best synth package Moog have put together since the minimoog (big call I know). All the knobs transmit CC and NRPN, and you can also separate the panel from the sound engine. This means it's easy to set up a midi channel switcher in Logic or Ableton  to control which synth (real or virtual) is controlled by the panel.
Powerbook Titanium 1GHz G4
MOTU 828 Mk1
Midiman Midisport 2x2
Logic 4.8.1
Ableton Live 4
... and a few hardware synths and samplers.

Offline retromac

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »
Thank you Mr Happy, DieHard and everyone who's contributing to the cause!

Was able to follow the instructions and I'm truly impressed!!!

I was incidentally wondering if you were familiar with Nemesys Gigasampler (then bough and brought down by Tascam). It was a great sampler.

Haven't started doing any music yet but tested synths and all.

AMAZING!!!

Have only 768 megs of RAM. I'm sure it will improve by doubling it. I might have some RAM laying around somewhere in the garage.

Can't wait to read about the water cooled solutions someone said were possible for less than $50 as this is at the moment the only drawback with my MDD setup.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

supernova777

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2015, 06:06:52 AM »
u are fine with 768mb of ram.. u dont need any more ram..
mac os 9 performance does not increase with more ram for most people
most people think more = better.. and it usually is.. but if u were to put a g4 of the same type
with 768 mb ram.. vs one with 1gb. vs one with 1.5gb.. there would be little difference in the performance.
like.. unnoticable difference. as long as u have 512mb ram + u are ok with mac os 9
512mb ram was TONS of ram in 98/99.. to put it in perspective.. mac os 9 was from the time period of win98 and windows 98 cant use more then 512mb of ram in fact it wont boot with more installed.

Offline theNathanBaker

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2015, 01:57:49 PM »
Hello everyone!

I've been a lurker for quite some time and figured I should just become a member already!

My name is Nathan, I'm 34 years old, and from the MS Gulf Coast. Currently I'm a self-employed web developer and write/produce music on the side.  I've used Apple computers my entire life starting with the Apple IIe, then became obsessed with Macs at what I consider an appropriate age.

I love the Classic Mac OS. There is just something about it that speaks to me. (Perhaps it's simply nostalgia, but it just feels more than that.) Obviously, I'm not the only one. :)

However, I don't hate Mac OS X. I love it as well. Particularly 10.2 - 10.6. Beyond Snow Leopard, I am quickly becoming less enchanted with the direction Apple is taking OS X.

I'm looking forward to being a contributing member of this insanely great community!
(I couldn't resist the "insanely great" reference.. don't judge me!)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »
Hey there Nathan! Welcome aboard! ;D

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2015, 05:20:53 PM »
Particularly 10.2 - 10.6. Beyond Snow Leopard, I am quickly becoming less enchanted with the direction Apple is taking OS X.

Just put 2 out of 4 Mac Pros down to 10.6.8 and Logic 9.1.8, The Mavericks, Yosemite file transfer lag and a bunch of bugs in Logic X and bring me down :( and "El Captain" for music is "El Crap-tain"

SL and Logic 9 is the Intel equivalent to Mac OS 9 and a vintage DAW in the stability department

Offline badssound

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2015, 03:29:21 PM »
HI!
I'M from Karelia,( not from Korea  :) . Its Russia near Finland.
 In 1997 i start working sound producer in small  studio. The fist DAW is a Logic Audio 4.1 on Power Pc.
and small Mackie 1604cr. Now i used Pro Tools HD and many differnt outboard units. I was made many records and produce some bands. But still like old Emagic Logic platinum.
I have collection of audio soft and apps for os8-9. And i want share this with other.
Thank you for the attention.

G4 MDD , Pro Tools HD. Logic 5-6-7. Yamaha A5000, EX5R, TG77, TX802. Korg Triton-Rack.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »
HI!
I'M from Karelia,( not from Korea  :) . Its Russia near Finland.
 In 1997 i start working sound producer in small  studio. The fist DAW is a Logic Audio 4.1 on Power Pc.
and small Mackie 1604cr. Now i used Pro Tools HD and many differnt outboard units. I was made many records and produce some bands. But still like old Emagic Logic platinum.
I have collection of audio soft and apps for os8-9. And i want share this with other.

welcome to the bunch and thanks for introducing yourself. Nice to have you onboard.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2015, 07:23:22 PM »
I guess its time to spread the way i got to macs and os9

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2015, 12:24:44 PM »
Welcome badssound  :)

Do you have some plugins , audio or MIDI app that there isn't on the download sections?
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline badssound

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2015, 03:23:45 PM »
yes, i have some original cds and more copy. I collect this more than 15 years.
I try to make short list.
G4 MDD , Pro Tools HD. Logic 5-6-7. Yamaha A5000, EX5R, TG77, TX802. Korg Triton-Rack.

Offline harpi

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2015, 10:21:32 AM »
Hello,

and greetings from Finland. I'm planning to set up a little DAW with 2003 MDD, M-Audio Delta 66 and Omni I/O box. I'm very pleased that I found this site because for now on it's been very helpful for me. Thank you.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2015, 11:52:24 AM »
Hey there harpi... welcome aboard!

Hello,

I'm very pleased that I found this site because for now on it's been very helpful for me. Thank you.

Yes indeed!! For me that would be quite the understatement!! ;D ;D

Offline alenu

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2015, 01:57:18 AM »
Hi! Here´s Ale from Argentina. I´m a musician, composer and arranger. I make my living doing string arrangements, music for films, jingles, and the like. I´m a songwriter too, and produce my own recordings since i was fifteen. I love vintage hardware and stuff and one of my hobbies is to record myself on my old trusty Tascam 414 4-Track cassette Portastudio. I´m a PowerPC enthusiast and i think PPC Macs are the best computers ever made. Have three of them: 1,67 gHz PowerBook G4, 800mHz iBook G4, and 1gHz Titanium PB G4. Don´t have much experience with OS 9 but i´ve recently installed it on the Ti Book and it seems to be a very nice platform for audio purposes. By the way, this community is awesome and i´m learning a lot here!

Offline widter

• Enthusiast Member
  • Go with a smile!
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2015, 02:48:35 AM »
Hey and hello!

I have been with the forum for a while, but have not yet introduced myself.

I was born in Switzerland, but have lived in Austria for decades now. I got into Macs very early with the SE. Then there was a pause. When audio production without extra PT hardware became a reality around '96, my interest for Apple Mac returned.

I bought Logic Platinum twice, once around '99 and then again incrementally up until 2005 or so. I still have a lot of licenses for OS9, and since Emagics MIDI timing still has to be beaten, I have stuck with my "old" setup.

Although I have collected a lot of software for OS9 back in the day, I have still discovered new things in this forum. Quite a bit of which I still have to try out! :-)

So happy sharing, everybody. It's good to know there are other dinosaur lovers out there.

Offline JAPP

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2015, 05:02:11 PM »
Hello everyone,
I joined a couple of weeks ago - realized tonight that its time I said "hey". I'm just a keyboard hobbyist who stumbled on An old clamshell at a thrift store and thought it might open up some new and interesting midi avenues. I'm quite surprised to find that so many other people are interested in working with the vintage stuff, it's going to make this just that much more fun. Until later,
JaPP

Offline svetitom

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2015, 06:14:42 PM »
Hi,
 Glad to be here.
I composed a long message and sent it to Diehard, If he gets it he can post it. Aparrently I hit the wrong button (again),
Thanks, Bill kennick

NP Bill... Here it is :)

Hi,
Back in 1971 I was paying big bucks to use a Univac programming in Fortran. Later I bought an Intel 4004 chipset and had some precocious kid try to build me a computer, $500 lost for a box of parts. Finally I got a Heathkit and switched to BASIC and HDOS. Upgraded to an 8086 chip. First 16K of memory cost $400. Had something called  Zenith Electronic typing which was almost as good as Word. Any way, I had and built maybe 50 computers. I once put Yellow Dog Linux on an Imac and have recently built a Hackintosh (but everything has to be USB or it won't work. What brings me here is I am trying to get my Korg keyboard to input into a midi file. It used to work on the Quadra and the Performa but now I am stuck with USB etc etc. Oh, I use Fedora22 on a new box and also windows 7 for "photoshopping" with Gimp.
I like Windows XP for video. Somehow I got it to run on a new box. I don't  know how exactly.. I  am going to have to set up something for video capture when Mars comes around again next spring. I guess my real regret is that I never learned assembly language (and binary). I have a fourteen year old son (who knows just about everything there is to know) who told me that midi files are old fashioned. But I am thinking of doing Hungarian Rhapsody No. 5 on the piano keyboard and then correcting the mistakes in MIDI. This for my daughters Ballet teacher. I had better get this done before I grow more senile than I am already. I like to buy computers at the "trailing edge" of technology when they are about 90 percent cheaper. But I did build 3 new boxes (actually, new motherboard, old hard drives, old cdroms, old tower boxes. My wife tells me that when I die they are going to have to rent a dumpster and throw away my boxes and boxes of old rs-232 cables , parallel interface cables. etc. What am looking for and cant find is all my old apple transport cables. I used to put old beige g3s in gamer's tower boxes. Anyway I would be a lot more financially solvent if I had taken up another hobby than electronics, but ever since I took apart my mother's telephone and then put it back together before she got home (with some parts left over) I have been more or less hooked on taking apart machines that run on electricity. Sorry to say that the new cell phones leave me cold. The best I can do there  is take out the battery so that my wife wont bother me when I'm busy..
Bill Kennick (svetitom)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:15:57 PM by DieHard »