Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361490 times)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 11:27:17 AM »
My Name Is Jorge and I am from Spain. I work as a P.A. sound tech since '97 and bought my first DAW in '98. I have been a Win user since Win 3.1.1 and OS9 user since '02. I had the honor to see working some of the best engineers/editors in Spain (one Grammy awarded) on macs since 98, and had worked on studios with ADAT and Reel 16 tracks analog recorders and 4 tracks since '97. I am trying lo learn to play the guitar since '92  ;D  I bought my Yamaha 4track cassette on '95.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Ed Redfern

• Enthusiast Member
  • Blind music producer
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
Hi all... ermmmm... (scratches head) ok... hello... is this thing working? Of course it is lol. even medi-evil roadies can wire up a P.A... surely one do I say, one do I say, then surely two should follow.

My name's ed. Currently in the middle of Wales though my home still belongs in Yorkshire. I am a blind musician, composer and music producer who relies on older technoloigies, old school methods, etc to get the job done. I don't follow the latest tech trends other than what's truly accessible for me, speech wise anyway.  I qualified with a masters degree in professional audio and a royal graduate degree in classical music, Guild hall honours for piano and play church organ when there's time or whenever I find a nice cozy church while on the road.

I've done a fair bit of sound design and sound programming over the years for different synths and samplers but mainly touring with bands or session work and of course working in studios as a recording engineer besides my own setup.

I like challenges in life. I always believe in a bit of excitement to keep the heart beating and the fire circulating through me lol.

At the moment, undergoing a studio rebuild after a disaster 6 months back. I was guided to here because of my search for protools software, etc for OS9 and I have to say, with thanks to contributors here, I've found the plugins, ProTools TDM 5.13, etc to help get a G3 back up and running. Just facing a struggle finding the hardware. Anyway I've placed an ad in the wanteds side of here which explains more.

It feels like a nice home here and I'm sure if anyone needs my help, I'm more than willing to share what I've got knowledge wise, etc.

many thanks to the mods for allowing me to join this merry band of apple heros lol.

ed
Blind Music Producer / Studio Engineer / Sound Designer using legacy technologies that most of today's users don't understand well enough. Rebuilding a recording studio after falling victim to a pro audio company who cleaned out an analogue studio for modern equipment upgrades that went wrong. With help from amazing people, manufacturers, etc, things are looking up. Now trying to rebuild the G3 / G4 side of the studio.

supernova777

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 02:17:20 PM »
ok i guess i should tell some info about me..
My Name is Chris (obviously)
one of my first big interests in music began with hiphop in 1987 when a friends dad tape-dubbed me his vinyl of "RUN DMC - Raising hell" I was a hiphop addict from 1987-1992 but in 1993 i started getting more into house music + rave parties happening in Toronto In 1997 I started buying house vinyls + by 1999 i had my first dj gig in toronto, I dj'd alot there from 1999-2005 paying my bills from djing for awhile.. my first exposure to audio production was back around 1997 aswell, when a friend + i teamed up to work on some tracks in his studio.. his studio was robbed and we lost our 8 tracks or so that i had done all the rhythm + percussion programming for.. my friend decided to get into djing aswel instead of rebuilding his studio... since then i always wanted to get a studio back together... fond memories of his juno 60 + programming rhythms in cubase (i think it was version 3.0) around 2002 i bought a copy of reason 2.0 and since then i was trying to wrap my head around production, notes, rhythms.. professionally i was also a webdesigner working for many ad agencies in Toronto between 1999-2005 working on some well known brands

ive dedicated my time here in order to help other people like myself who have a yearning to produce music, to find a way to make the intangible become tangible.. dreams into reality..  ;)

likes: 80s music, disco, soul, jazz, r&b, hiphop, house, occasionally some techno, electro, and even some jungle;) (note to knez: NO GABBER!)

my first mac was a performa 6400 in around 1997... i was a hotline user.. and i was big into photoshop + illustrator + collecting typefaces.. i was a flash animation designer beginning with macromedia director and flash v3.0 after having been inspired by the work of Hillman Curtis (rip) i was so involved with graphics + animation + web coding that i never got a chance to even look at any of the great apps that we have here when they were current.

alot of my own music that i created with reason (v2.5 - v5.0) left me kind of dissatisfied.
tracks would always start out great and then once i added too many elements would fall apart..
i guess this could be lack of mixing skill, but i also tended to blame the mixer + the software a bit, and i was looking for a better mix... which is what led me to become obsessed with educating myself on all the ins + outs of the other software packages.. but alot of the music i appreciate was really old frm the time when i was around 16 years old.. so i knew it could be done with old stuff. thats what keeps me looking to the past, rather then buying the latest newest gear.

heres a web archive backup of my site from early 2000
http://web.archive.org/web/20010203163100/http://416design.com/
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:14:46 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 11:21:09 AM »
Hey Kids... Wanted to stop by and say Hi! Found this place while in the mist of putting together a ProTools TDM system... 9.2.2 on a G4 dual 500. First Mac ('87-ish) was a Mac Plus running Performer synced to a reel to reel, then 2  RTR's... later partnered with a friend building up a studio... pre-Pro Tools Pro Tools/ADATs ... currently HDX.  Needing to record at home I would travel back and forth with a Roland VS1680 then got 001 on a G4 400 which made it easy.

Computer skills are on the basic side... normal MO is to get something up and running then don't change ANYTHING till forced by gun point!! ;D

Anyway... this site is AWESOME! Thanks to all here and hope to be able to contribute SOMETHING along the way!  ;D 

Offline ferridirection

• almost new to the forums
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 12:13:00 AM »
Hi friends,

Diego here - italian living in Berlin, Germany - been around music and computer for 15ish years - as studio assistant, musician, sound engineer, all around geek, etc. I used various versions of Pro Tools from 5.1.3 TDM on - I'm on PT11 right now then one day I've found this mix + system on my local classifieds and here I am.

The first Mac I owned was a G4 733 digital audio which, despite the fancy name - had nothing to do with any audio production application - it was deceptively called digital audio because of a dedicated audio out you could use to connect expensive designer branded speakers. well ya apple is a big marketing machine but they got us the best computers ever so long live OS9.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 02:14:03 AM »
My beige G3 age was covered with Pentium 2 233 hardware and a Guillemot Isis soundcard that came with Logic 3.6ProIsis with Direct X plugings and 16 tracks (could record 8 at a time with 4 outputs and a GM soundset from roland sound canvas as a onboard synth).
I then bought a new PC, a Athlom 1400 and a Terratec DMX6fire 24/96 to record on Logic 5.5.1. Then I bought a G3B&W and an Audiomedia3 and 2 Rage128 GL pci cards (one with the decoder). That thing take me to Protools.
 I bought a second AM3 just when PT-Mpowered was enunciated in the market to use with a Pentium 4. Then a Pentium D, an AP 24/96 to use elastic audio from protools 7.4 MP . At that time a G4 DA 466 was donated to me and I tried PT6 with the audiomedia, but the rage 128 AGPx4 did not helped much, and that setup was way more powerful and stable on OS9 as the G3. Then a 001 was donated with a Logic Xskey and I thought it could come in handy to upgrade the 466 G4 and I bought a QS'02 dual GHz CPU for it. When the forum started, I received donated a 866 MDD from an offer of that MDD with an HD2 setup for 50 Euros! I got the MDD free and my Madrid friend a HD2 for 50 Euros. I work now in PT HD 9.0.4 on a Intel Q6600 core2Quad overclocked at 3.15 with an focusrite Liquid Saphire 56 and a UAD-1 PCI on 10.6.8. And that is my story in last 15 years related to DAWs and machines.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 03:07:28 PM »
how much did u pay for the liquid sapphire ???  :o

Offline MusicWorks

• Enthusiast Member
Hi guys,

Born in the mid '80s, I remember the Macintosh SE my dad purchased from the only store in Madrid that carried Macintosh computers. A 145B Powerbook with black and white flat display soon followed. I also remember listening to records day in and day out in the Norwegian HI-FI receiver my dad had imported from USA. Those first pressings of Roberta Flack, Bee-Gees, Antonio Carlos Jobim....that huge, creamy sound from those JBL monitors.

In recent years, I have put together a small 8-track studio (1-inch tape to Pro Tools) that I am very fond of. My main setup has included 442 Digidesign interfaces, English outboard mixers, multitrack analog recorder, nice preamps and Ensoniq Paris. Have been recording music for 8 years, I sing and play the acoustic guitar. Have had a few tracks produced by American producer Bradley Fish. Currently recording/producing my solo debut project.

Software collector, every rare treasure I have found has been shared with the community (Pro Tools 1 complete floppy set, Pro Tools 2.05, Pro Tools 4.2, Cubase VST/24 4.0 CD iso...) and will continue to do so. Consider myself a chilled out guy, aware that this music is not my gift. I am just channeling ;)

Loooove vintage software. Have been using Cubase DAE for years with my 442 interfaces, sweeeeeet spot. One of my favourites engines for 68k for sure. Also enjoy VST/24 4.1 (far superior than the VST/32 Mac port from the Windows code). Yes, this is true.

Currently own too many computers: My main rig is a PT II NuBus inside a PPC 7100/80 that was maxed out + Audiomedia II card with SDII.

Ensoniq Paris 3.0 runs inside my Power Mac G4 (Yikes! Of course) alonside a d24 card with Pro Tools 24 connected to an Apogee AD-8000 Special Edition converter. On the road I use a Powerbook Titanium G4 500Mhz I am VERY fond of with a Motu 828 interface + Apogee Mini-Me converter. And preamps, of course.

If you make music, I would LOVE to hear it!

Enjoy!!

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
MusicWorks,

Thanks for the background info., glad to have you :)

Offline NiPPonD3nZ0

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Hello there!

My name is André Paixao , i'm 29yo and i'm from a little town called Santarem in Portugal!

I've been around PC's since I know how to walk and always dealt with Wintel only, never touched a mac until 4 months ago. Got a new job and here we deal with everything, Mac included. Decided to ser what the hell was the fuss about Mac OS and installed OS X on my PC, a Core i5 machine but that didn't sounded right, so i bought a old G3 B&W, and gave it a good test run. The B&W is equiped with a Sonnet G4 upgrade card at 1GHz, but after a few weeks the slowliness of it made me want to try the original software the machine came bundled: OS 8. Version 8.6 was all that I could find on-line but is kinda of a mess to get networking up and running, so I am hellbent on trying OS 9 on it!
By the way, I've also bought a couple of more Macs... A case and motherboard of a G4(Yikes!) that I've transplanted a CPU, psu, ram, graphics card and HDD from a G3 B&W I've bought with a dead mobo, but the board I have from the g4 isn't stable though. Also have a beige g3 with a dead CPU and mobo.
The G3 I have working is a Rev1 board, and the G3 dead board I have is a Rev2.
Does anyone know if swapping the dead Rev 2 mobo IDE CMD chip to the working Rev 1 mobo would be making a Rev 2 out of a Rev 1 mobo? I'm a electronic technician and have facilities to do the swap, but would it work???

Best regards and sorry for the messy post, was written on my cell phone while in the hospital bored to my skull
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:00:10 AM by NiPPonD3nZ0 »

supernova777

dont bother trying to transplant the ide controller.. that would be too dificult.
i have a B&W g3 and what i would reccommend to u is to get either a PCI-sata card or a acard 6880M/6280M IDE controller
this really increases the performance of the g3.. because it jumps it frm ATA33 all the way up (past ATA66, ATA100) to ATA133 (or sata150 for the pci sata card)

in my g3 B&W i have this acard 6880M with two hard drives working together as one
the acard 68xx cards have raid ability via dipswitch.. the acard 62xx cards have no raid but just provide normal ports
either one is great.. u can find a 62xx card for like 20$ on ebay shipped from japan or hongkong
that is what i suggest for u

heres a link
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xacard+6280M.TRS0&_nkw=acard+6280M&_sacat=0

Offline NiPPonD3nZ0

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
dont bother trying to transplant the ide controller.. that would be too dificult.
i have a B&W g3 and what i would reccommend to u is to get either a PCI-sata card or a acard 6880M/6280M IDE controller
this really increases the performance of the g3.. because it jumps it frm ATA33 all the way up (past ATA66, ATA100) to ATA133 (or sata150 for the pci sata card)

in my g3 B&W i have this acard 6880M with two hard drives working together as one
the acard 68xx cards have raid ability via dipswitch.. the acard 62xx cards have no raid but just provide normal ports
either one is great.. u can find a 62xx card for like 20$ on ebay shipped from japan or hongkong
that is what i suggest for u

heres a link
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xacard+6280M.TRS0&_nkw=acard+6280M&_sacat=0

I see... Better to remove the bottleneck by avoiding the whole integrated IDE subsystem... Gotta get me some RAID action just for kicks...

Got another question about OS but will search for the anwser first if it is avaiable
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:01:16 AM by NiPPonD3nZ0 »

supernova777

exactly right! circumvent the bottleneck u got it  8)
the 6880M is a great match for this machien because it supports mac os 8.6 aswell (similar to teh system itself)

the 6885M offers better speeds but doesnt support 8.6 aswell as the 6880M

and tbh the silicon image sata150 cards work fantastic with a sata3 80gb drive
u get 100MB/s read + write form a single drive that is cheaper then an ssd

Offline gravitation

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Hello! Used to love tracking in the Amiga days, moved to mactel/logic eventually. Never had a mac since 2008, however I always looked up to the old G4/G5 PPCs (couldn't afford one back then)! Only recently I got a G4 sawtooth and am trying to get started with fooling around OS9.2.2!

Offline retromac

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 10:22:23 AM »
Hello there!

My first time ever seeing ProTools at a studio (1996) left me impressed after having been used to the analog stuff for long. There was some functionality in the interface that I have not seen in recent software. You could create a wave and apply real time effects, so you could have on a same track different effects as each portion of a wave rendering could be sliced and have radically different effects in them. I have an old Korg Oasys PCI card which I bought second hand in 2002 on e-bay from Andy West (at one point Dixie Dregs bass player!) and there were never drivers for XP or OSX as the card was a financial flop for Korg and got quickly discontinued. I gave this card a home briefly on a Windows 98 box and then upgraded the OS and so on. Then after a while I wanted to give this card a permanent home so I've got a dual 1.25 MDD on Craigslist and realized a few shortcomings in the software department  :( I happen to own Cubase 32 VST 5 (parallel port dongle and all) but it is for PC. Yet I was hoping the dongle would work on a Mac too. Anyhow, hello to everyone, here I am hoping to get some direction in this endeavor!

Regards from FL and thank you for making such amount of valuable info available and creating this awesome virtual meeting place!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 10:55:18 AM »
Hey there retromac and welcome! If you are looking to run Cubase on your MDD... MAN, did you ever come to the right place!! ;D There's a RIDICULOUSLY GREAT download here, put together by a few of the lads, that will put a fresh OS, Cubase, plugs, VI's, and a bunch of other great stuff onto your MDD... AND it will literally do this in just a FEW minutes... it's CRAZY GREAT!!!

Soooo... go directly here... http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2716.0

BTW... keep extra toilet paper on hand cause you'll need it after you hit the 'restore' button!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline retromac

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 07:02:12 PM »

Thank you, Thank you, thank you!!!!

On my way there!!  :D

Offline 3rd Degree

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2015, 07:05:05 PM »
Hi there. Long time Mac user going back to the early 1990s. My first Mac was a IIci, my most recent a 15' 2012 MacBook Pro (the last Apple laptop with user expandable RAM). In between I've owned everything from a PowerBook 180 to a Umax Powertower 180 clone - I buy all my computers second hand and modify them to requirements. I'm also a former Apple certified hardware, software and help desk technician, with a specialty in Mac audio - though that was about 10 years ago and I'm no longer in IT. I still make music though, mostly in Ableton and Logic Pro on my MacBook.

About a month ago a neighbour was putting out their kerbside rubbish when I spied a Titanium Powerbook. He confirmed it was being thrown out so I took it home and lo and behold it fired up on MacOS 10.4 and told me it was the 1GHz model with 768MB RAM. Remembering that this was the last and fastest Powerbook that could 'officially' run MacOS 9 I did some Googling and found this site. Downloaded a few different installer images and proceeded to wipe the drive and install MacOS 9. I hadn't looked at this OS for at least 10 years so the memories came flooding back - Extensions! Control Panels! Chooser! Happy days. I'd forgotten how snappy the OS is and how the 'curved' 3D user interface really helps speed up navigation compared to modern 'flat' UI design. The only wrinkle is that this laptop has a busted USB port that was shorting the logic board.  I've fixed the short, which doesn't seem to have affected reliability but the laptop won't load Apple Hardware Test or other model-specific installers.

Anyway, I'd thrown out my MacOS 9 audio software years ago (anyone remember Hotline?) so it was great to see all the old favourites again - Logic 4.8, Ableton Live 4, Pro 53, Imposcar and of course Rebirth. I've now got a great setup where all sequencing is done on Ableton 9 in the Macbook and sent via MIDI to the Powerbook running Ableton 4 , which hosts VSTi's and receives Rebirth audio via Rewire.  This audio is then mixed down to about 10 channels  and sent back to the Macbook via two MOTU 828s connected via lightpipe and coax SPDIF.  Rock solid and sounds fantastic - no need for loads of outboard gear anymore (though I won't be selling my Moog Sub 37 anytime soon). 

So finally a heartfelt thanks to those who set up and maintain this site. I think it's a real achievement to have consolidated so much knowledge in one place and not allow it to be lost. Any questions please fire away, but in the meantime I'll be tweaking some 303s in Rebirth...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:25:42 PM by 3rd Degree »
Powerbook Titanium 1GHz G4
MOTU 828 Mk1
Midiman Midisport 2x2
Logic 4.8.1
Ableton Live 4
... and a few hardware synths and samplers.

supernova777

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2015, 07:41:46 PM »
jealous of the sub 37  8) 8) 8)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 08:03:55 PM »
Thanks for the info :)

... won't be selling my Moog Sub 37 anytime soon

Come now, you really don't want that old, obsolete, thing...

There is a real surge in going back to analog synths...

A must see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icGWQZw5n24