Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 70453 times)

Offline Etienne

• Vault Members
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2015, 07:38:53 PM »
Hi :-)

From 1989 till 1994 I was working in an office and got in touch with macs. I did enjoy the exact positive user experience everybody's talking about. My first private computer was a G4 PowerMac (sawtooth) in 1999. Ready for the new millennium. I was studying music and MacOS9 was my reliable companion for many years. 9 is running definitely smoother than X on this machine.

Nonetheless since 2010 I own a MacPro and do my main work on MacOSX. What I really miss are my favorite 9-progs like D-SoundPro, Infinity and SonicWorx. I can't find something similar in the X-world. Because I don't have my G4 anymore I'm running SheepShaver for these sample tools right now. Perhaps I'm going to buy PPC again - we'll see.

Glad to be here and best regards
Etienne

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2015, 11:15:26 PM »
What I really miss are my favorite 9-progs like D-SoundPro, Infinity and SonicWorx. Because I don't have my G4 anymore I'm running SheepShaver for these sample tools right now.

Welcome Etienne! I don't know about D-Sound and Infinity, but I'll bet you can run Sonicworx in Sheepshaver and it's right HERE:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=856.0

Give it a try and tell us what happens!

Offline Etienne

• Vault Members
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2015, 12:10:21 AM »
Welcome Etienne!
Hi Gary!

I don't know about D-Sound and Infinity, but I'll bet you can run Sonicworx in Sheepshaver
D-Sound and Infinity working here in SheepShaver so far. My problem is the installation of SonicWorx. I got an error. Incomplete or damaged installer. That happens with files I've downloaded from elsewhere. Also from within OS9-SheepShaver.

it's right HERE: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=856.0
Can't access the file right now.

Give it a try and tell us what happens!
... I will tell you

Offline Alex

• new to the forums
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2015, 12:01:25 PM »
Hello

I have been a member for a little while but I had no idea that I could introduce myself.

First of all, thank you to the moderators and the people responsible for this amazing resource. I have to use it much more.

Well, I have been a Mac user since 1985 or so but my first Mac was a IIx that I purchased circa 1987. I purchased it with a 13" Apple Color Monitor (a Trinitron tube) and a 24 bit color card. Having millions of colors back then was quite incredible and the card I had with a little init could give me 256 color or was it thousands BUT the desktop was tall and I could scroll the virtual desktop. Does anyone remember that?

I have never actually owned PC believe it or not but I do collect Macs and Apple related software and hardware. I have a modest list of Macs and as I write this I am in the middle of cleaning up a really beautiful Power Mac G4 Quicksilver.

I also am a regular contributor and participant on the "Apple Macintosh Enthusiasts" Facebook group, which is actually a very nice hangout but now that I remember Mac OS 9 lives I will be coming here with some questions for sure.

A real treat to be here and thank you for taking the time to read my post.
—Alex

Offline tyronesdaddy

• new to the forums
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2015, 01:07:29 PM »
Hello All,
I joined  a week or so back and thought I would introduce myself.  I have been a Mac user since around 1996 or 97 when I bought a Performa 6400.  I bought a PowerMac MDD867 in early 2003 and it currently runs OS 10.4.11 and 9.2.2.  I also have an Imac (mid 2010) core I3 running Snow Leopard and Mavericks.  I really have to say I like Snow Leopard best of any OS I have ever used.  The Imac also has Win XP via bootcamp.  From a usability and stability standpoint I have to say XP is a pile of crap compared to OS X.  I use Classic on the MDD machine for some productivity apps like Photoshop and File Maker and the OS 9 for some games mostly. 

Offline khun

« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2015, 11:16:56 PM »
Back to the forum
 -afro-

Offline 1836

• new to the forums
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2015, 11:33:21 PM »
Hi! Lifetime Mac user here looking to recapture the "good old days" of Mac OS 9 and particularly, take advantage of the myriad abandonware now available for this classic OS.

Recently purchased a Powerbook G4 Titanium, much like the one that I had years ago. Looking forward to getting it to boot into OS 9 (not quite sure how yet!). At 1Ghz, it's way faster than the 667 I actually had back when those were new.

I also have an old iBook G3 Clamshell 466 that I need to get running OS 9. I wonder if I can do this from a USB drive?

I look forward to the discussions!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2015, 06:55:22 AM »

. Looking forward to getting it to boot into OS 9 (not quite sure how yet!). At 1Ghz, it's way faster than the 667 I actually had back when those were new

This might get you started!  ;D

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=900.0

Offline pfaffian

• new to the forums
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2015, 01:01:57 AM »
Hi All,

I'm interested in Opcode Galaxy editors.

Cheers,

Pfaffian

Offline kloveland

• new to the forums
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »
I have a G3 setup in my office that I still use. It’s running Mac OS 9.2.2 and I use it to run all of my old software. Even though it’s outdated it’s still a great computer and the older operating is so much easier to use and diagnose when I have problems.

Offline torvan

• Consistant Contributor
  • Old School
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2015, 03:01:29 PM »
Oh wow, where in the heck do I start?

Well, my name is Troy, and I have been on this earth for 47 years now, which means-yeah, I go back to the original Macintosh although my first one was the Mac Plus. Now i have 13 Macs ranging from that Plus to the 2014 Mini i7. I am running everything from System 6 to 10.11.1.

But out of all of them, it is OS9 that still has my heart. the way you can customize the look and feel, the speed it has on modernish hardware, and the apps designed by folks who knew what "Think Different" really meant. Plus machines that reflected personality as opposed to the prison like feel of the modern design. There is only so many rectangle aluminum boxes one can have. . . . .

I have been with the same man since 1993 and finally could marry him in 2011. I still say I have been married since 1993 because I would have done it then if I could have.  He accepts my Mac "addiction" much as I accept his car "addiction". He uses the iPad much more than I ever hope to, so that "addiction" is slowly spreading....

I have worked for the other camp (Microsoft) in the MBU (Mac Business Unit) for way too many years before moving to Wachovia (more money, better schedule, closer commute) which as you know went up in flames during the housing crises earlier this decade. Since then I have been a stay-at-home husband and find this career is much more to my likes. 

So, the machines:

Mac Plus
Mac SE/30
PowerMac 7300/200
iMac DV+ G3
G4 iMac USB2 20" (what I am using right now)
G4 QS (2002)
G4 Cube (500 Mhz)
G4 MDD FW800
eMac USB 2.0
G5 dual 1.8Ghz
iMac Intel (2007)
Mac Pro Intel 2.8 Ghz 8 Core
2014 Mac Mini i7
iPad 2.0

Politically I am a moderate, although anymore I feel there is no real choice in the system save the Green Party, you either vote for the moneyed classes and the oligarchs or you go a different direction all together. Oh, and I do support Cascadia. . . . .

But then again, I do "Think Different" anyway, and that is why I am a Mac man.

Offline CTSAudio

• new to the forums
Members Introduction...
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2015, 01:13:44 AM »
Found this site while trying to locate OS9 resources to rebuild my Protools Mix 24. rig using 9600/300, G3,G4 in various configurations for a small format recording studio and some audio engineering on the side.

I enjoy both analog and digital audio, and currently run a sideline audio business. build and repair vintage audio gear. I enjoy recording and playing drums, guitar, keys , and bass. business link below

https://sites.google.com/site/diypartsstore/home

I have owned many Macs , worked as a Mac service provider in my early years of employment as a Apple factory certified tech. years ago , 020,030,040 and early PPC era in Silicon Valley. Also worked for Avid /Digidesign , Adobe , and in broadcast radio.

You could say I like to mix art and technology together in various ways. Appreciate the opportunity to become part of this online community.

I still have a PB180c that i love to play an old strategy game by Sid Meiers , Civilization I . One of my favorite old Macs running OS 7.5.3 . Nostalgic entertainment. The AI on this game really has a tantrum when its loosing. very amusing.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:56:20 AM by CTSAudio »

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2015, 06:24:40 AM »
Hello and welcome to the 'new kids'! ;D

CTSAudio... had fun kicking' around your DIY site... seems I've been getting the itch to build some old school audio stuff. Built some guitar amps @ 20 years ago (that I still use today) but mostly just the occasional repair these days. ;D

Offline CTSAudio

• new to the forums
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2015, 12:06:34 AM »
Thanks for your reply,(audio) its fun stuff , just wish I had more time on my hands. Finding this Forum to be a great place so far. I'll have to contribute some goodies to the software library.

Offline cc333

« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2015, 08:28:24 PM »
Hi There,

I'm new here, but I've been fairly active at ThinkClassic and 68kMLA for some time now, and I thought I'd try expanding a bit, as I have recently begun to learn Pro Tools, and I thought it'd be fun to someday figure out how to set it up on one of my many PPC Macs running Mac OS 9.

I look forward to contributing here more often!

c

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
Welcome aboard Kultronic and cc333! There's a pretty good Cubase and PT contingent here so you should be right at home!😁

Offline Gardeive

• new to the forums
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2015, 11:33:05 AM »
Hey! My name is Kamil.

While I was not raised in a family that used Macs, I always had a thing for either older or simply uncommon computers - the Amiga, Macintosh, Atari and so on. Since Macs were not really popular back in the day in my country I opted in to look hard for a few. Well, today I got a PowerBook G3 Lombard with a dead L2 Cache (that comes back after long, warm sessions of Mac games :D) and I just got a PowerMac G4, literally 2 hours ago. I'm still grabbing a proper ISO because my old CDs stopped working for some reason...

Anyways, that's it - I'm mostly here to have fun as I love Macs, especially the old ones! :)

Keep on thinking differently ;)

Offline AtariMan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2015, 08:46:29 AM »
Hello! I'm from Russia. Powered by G4, Logic Audio 5 and Pro Tools 5.
Midi writing on ATARI MEGA ST 4.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2015, 10:43:14 AM »
I love Macs, especially the old ones! :)

I guess you came to the right place then!! ;D

Welcome!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2015, 10:46:04 AM »
Welcome AtariMan from Russia! Looks like you cover a lot of ground with your Logic/PT/Atari set up! ;D

Offline probot

• new to the forums
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2015, 09:14:08 PM »
hey,

i'm using macs since 1999, started with a g3. then got a g4 sawtooth and then a mdd 1.25ghz. currently i'm on a macbook pro which serves all my needs just fine but i want to resurrect the old mdd as daw for fun.

cheers

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2015, 02:23:55 PM »
Welcome probot! You've definitely come to the right place!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2015, 03:02:57 PM »
i want to resurrect the old mdd as daw for fun.

And fun it will be!! ;D

Offline rabbitfist

• new to the forums
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2015, 12:19:34 PM »
Hi, thanks for adding me. I starting using cubase vst on a mac back in 1996 and have been wanting to get my old set up running in an emulator for years. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2015, 10:07:27 AM »
Welcome Rabbitfist... If you're a Cubase fan you're gonna want to check out this ridiculously good download that DieHard and MacTron put together... it installs in about 2 minutes and will give you a fresh OS 9.2.2/ Cubase and tons of plugs/instruments... CRAZY cool!!! Go get it!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2716.0

Offline TheBang

• new to the forums
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »
Good day all.  I've been using Macs since 1985, and look back with wistful nostalgia at the System 6, 7 days.

Offline nuanda966

• new to the forums
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2015, 12:02:50 AM »
Hello,
happy to join you in this vintage forum and site.

I'm from Italy and i use Mac since 1984

I'm a proud user of :
- Color Classic II
- 20th anniversary Mac - TAM with supercharged CPU , Sonnet G3 500 mhz and plenty of add-on.
- Cube supercharged

i'm very happy to find again some enthusiast of these unique machine and OS's .

Thanks

Max

Offline Mardeec

• new to the forums
Hello All
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2015, 08:14:46 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure how this happened, but one day I woke up, and it made sense to start collecting old Macs.  I have a Classic II, 7.0.1 that I was able to connect to the web using an Asante EN/SC adapter, and I picked up a Summer 2000 500 Mhz iMAC G3 on Craigslist for $40.  It has 10.2.8, but my plans are to install 9.2.2 and Cubasis VST 2.0, and use it with an M-Audio Firewire 410 interface that I picked up cheap.

I'm glad I found this site, and it's encouraging to find others so committed to keeping these Macs alive.  I've already learned a lot, and hope I can contribute something as I work on the iMac.

Marty     

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2015, 09:20:09 AM »
Welcome TheBang and nuanda966... you're in good company now!!  ;D ;D

Those are some 'fancy' Macs that you have there Max!! ;D

Ciao

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2015, 10:20:46 AM »
I like these iMacs G3 as music machines because they are so quiet. Miss that when I use my current work horse.
My single 1.25 MDD...(and I already replaced the power supply fans)
I always found my iMac as powerful for MIDI production with some virtual instruments.

*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Hello All
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2015, 04:43:36 PM »

I picked up a Summer 2000 500 Mhz iMAC G3 on Craigslist for $40. 

Can't go wrong for 40 bucks!!😁😁

Offline Iria2

• Mac OS/NeXT Fanatic
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2015, 05:23:37 AM »
Hey all!

I'm from the US, specifically Portland. I've been dabbling in vintage Macs for a few years now. I'm right at home with my Snakebite G4 and my SE/30 (which I recapped myself). I love to tinker and make up new ways to exacerbate old problems!

Offline slash606

• new to the forums
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »
Hey all,

I'm here mainly because I was deeply interested in Korg's OASYS PCI card and the physical modelling technology available with it. I started off trying to do a Win98 build, but I ran into more problems than were worth fixing, so I bought an MDD and this forum has been a blessing with all of its software! ;D

So now, I'll lurk around and post whenever I can!

Charles  -afro-

Offline tomekx

• new to the forums
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2015, 07:54:57 AM »
Hello.
Old Mac was my first computer in the studio. Still using it today. Nice to see people running the same old mac as i do.

Offline bwait

• new to the forums
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2015, 11:07:08 PM »
Hi everyone,

So glad to have found this forum. I was a long-time user of opcode studio vision, and even before that the original opcode sequencer. In fact, I got a personal demo and my first of copy of sequencer and galaxy editor from Dave Opennheim himself at his home in Palo Alto.  I think he was the sole developer at that time, and sequencer had not been officially released.  I gave up (sort of) on SVP when Gibson gave up on it.  I switched to ProTools, but still miss the MIDI support and ease of use of SVP. So, here I am, back setting up a QS G4 to run SVP. 

Feel free to drop me a message if you want to share fond memories of the old MIDI 1.0 days. I appreciate the expertise shared on this forum and hope to contribute to it as well once I get back into the fray.

-Brad 

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2015, 02:11:30 PM »
From BWait
I got a personal demo and my first of copy of sequencer and galaxy editor from Dave Opennheim himself at his home in Palo Alto.

Wow... that is an amazing story, it was an exciting time to see Musicians start utilizing and embracing computers, now I feel old... thanks for sharing :)

Offline zErec

• new to the forums
« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2015, 11:09:35 AM »
Hello dear Users.

Glad I found this cool Website/Forum recently.

I´m 38y old z!Erec from Germany.
Since 1985 Amiga longtime User.
I loved and still love to use my Amiga A4000T and Shapeshifter/Fusion (OS 7/8) and even iFusion G3 Mac Emulator (OS9).

In the meanwhile I have collected quiet many original Macs.

15" PowerBook G4 1.67GHz (MacOS/MorphOS)
MacMini G5 1.5GHz (MacOS/MorphOS)
PowerMac G4 MDD DP 1.42GHz
PowerMac G5 2.5GHz Quad (MacOS 10.4/10.5/ (new)LinuxPPC)

next to

Amiga CD32/SX32Pro
Amiga A600 w Vampire600 FPGA Accelerator
Amiga A4000T/PPC
AmigaOne X1000 (DP 1.8GHz PA-Semi) with AmigaOS 4.1.FE & (4.x Betas)
Atari Falcon X 68060/SuperVidel Combo

Hope to meet many cool people here ;-)

C´ya
z!E

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2016, 07:13:56 AM »

15" PowerBook G4 1.67GHz (MacOS/MorphOS)
MacMini G5 1.5GHz (MacOS/MorphOS)
PowerMac G4 MDD DP 1.42GHz
PowerMac G5 2.5GHz Quad (MacOS 10.4/10.5/ (new)LinuxPPC)

next to

Amiga CD32/SX32Pro
Amiga A600 w Vampire600 FPGA Accelerator
Amiga A4000T/PPC
AmigaOne X1000 (DP 1.8GHz PA-Semi) with AmigaOS 4.1.FE & (4.x Betas)
Atari Falcon X 68060/SuperVidel Combo

Nice collection! ;D

Never used Amiga but they seemed very cool!!

Offline macaddiiict

• Who needs updates?
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »
Hello, all! I was very happy to come across this site. I have been a Mac fan since I first played Brickles on one in 4th grade. My first Mac was a Performa 6360 from Sears (ha! man, that thing was awesome).

Over time, my educational options pushed me to Windows and then I made my way back to Mac OS X in college. I enjoyed OS X from 10.3 to 10.5, but then I started to feel disconnected and didn't enjoy it as much. I ping-ponged between Windows and Mac over the years, upgrading my Mac constantly, hoping to get that sense of satisfaction I had on OS 9 machines. I had a retina MBP and upgraded to 10.10 and just really didn't like it at all. It was enough of a mess that I got the crazy idea to go back to OS 9 completely.

I am the happy owner of a nice Titanium Powerbook 1GHz and a Dual 1GHZ Quicksilver. I am enjoying being back in the OS 9 world and feel like the limits I've run into on the systems are actually helpful. Short filenames make me be thoughtful about what I name things. Limited icon sizes for image previews make me file things in a way that makes sense rather than one big folder. And having the looming chance of a crash makes me think about what resources I am using on the computer rather than trying to do 100 things at once.

I haven't found a good OS-9 browser compatible email service (webmail), but perhaps I'll get there one of these days. Thanks for welcoming me to this community -- it is fun to relive some of the good stuff I remember, and even better to know I won't have to deal with upgrades and headaches from new software.

All the best and happy 2016!
-Stephen

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: January 01, 2016, 05:00:13 PM »
I haven't found a good OS-9 browser compatible email service (webmail), but perhaps I'll get there one of these days.

Have you tried Classilla?
http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

Offline mikepreddymusic@gmail.com

• new to the forums
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2016, 01:35:27 PM »
I have loved the Mac operating system since my 1988 Mac Plus. I fooled around with DOS at the same time, and watched it slowly evolve into a clunky simulation of the Mac OS. Who remembers Windows 3.0? Anyway, I had fun with PCs because my dad and I liked to tinker with the innards of the things, and to this day, I run both. However, I have this G4 that I really love to mess with. Inside and out. I have set it up, torn it down, set it up, and torn it down I can't tell you how many times. The OS 9.1 is as smooth as silk. Much smoother than the 10Xs I have, and everytime I see that spinning color-wheel in 10X it's like looking at the enemy. Give me my counting fingers back! Anyway, I am here because I set it up again and needed to make an appearance on this Introduction site. So, there it is. I am so glad for this forum, and glad to know that there are others who feel the same as I about the classical Macs. Thank you.

Offline somemusic

• new to the forums
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2016, 08:03:25 AM »
Hi everyone glad to be onboard, rescued a couple of G4 powerbooks that my stepdad was going to bin, going to take the plunge and put 0s9 on them to  supplement my studio
Running a 2011 MBP still on mountain lion with Maschine as my main noise maker

excited to see what is possible!

check out my soundcloud here :
https://soundcloud.com/somemusic-productions

Offline Milko

• new to the forums
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2016, 03:10:36 PM »
Hi. I'm new to the forum but I might as well post something. The first computer I ever remember using was my mum's Power Macintosh 6500 she bought in 1997. Ever since then I've been into macs, I mainly used PCs up until 2014 when I started using macs, my main computer then was a Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 466MHz with 768MB of RAM. I used 10.4.11 Tiger for about a year. I much prefer Mac OS 9 but as I have no access to a wired network where I am in the house, I have no way of connecting an OS 9 machine to the internet. I've tried sharing internet with various PC's and even getting an AirPort basestation to share the signal but none of it works.

Offline mossy_11

• new to the forums
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2016, 08:06:01 PM »
Hello!

I was very excited to discover this site a few months ago. I'm a lifelong Mac user — started with a Mac Plus when I was a wee lad then got a new Mac every 4-5 years since (though sadly I don't have any of those old ones except an eMac and a G4 tower that my dad bought second-hand for his office) — and while these days I'm very much tethered to the OS X Intel for the bulk of my daily computing world I still prefer the look and feel of classic Mac OS.

In the past year I've got my hands on a Lombard PowerBook G3, a late-model iBook G3, and a Performa 580CD, all of which I'm trying to restore with new batteries, upgraded RAM, and whatever other improvements I can muster. Also getting my dad to bring our old eMac and Power Mac G4 to my house soon so I can set those up. I'm hoping to switch to OS 9 for production of my podcast.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2016, 01:44:18 AM »
Welcome 2016 new guys!😁  You've inspired me to drag my old Mac Plus out of storage... Hopefully soon I'll get some time to crack it open and see what kind of shape it's in!

Offline Mat

• Gold Member
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2016, 04:16:11 AM »
I much prefer Mac OS 9 but as I have no access to a wired network where I am in the house, I have no way of connecting an OS 9 machine to the internet.
Welcome Milko!
Do you know that it is quite easy these days to use an external Accespoint? They are cheap, extremely small, and offer W-Lan (all standards) for every Ethernet connection. Additionally seveal routers still have WEP encryption for the original Airport cards, and it "just" has to be activated in the routers configs.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2016, 09:03:39 AM »
Hi there,

In an attempt to 're-invigorate' my Classic Mac hobby and my recording studio I'm getting involved in the discussion here.  My first Mac experiences were in sound studio work more than 20 years ago, beginning with Protools Mix hardware, then later on Sonic Solutions professional DAW systems spanning 68k nubus through 604e PPC PCI.  Ironically, even though I got into the Mac game much later than some, the first Mac I actually owned myself (second-hand) was a Classic.  Eventually I worked up from there to amass a very large and diverse collection up through to an Xserve G4 Rev 1.  My passion is in hardware upgrades and mods to make the most out of each of these aging systems.  Right now I am trying to build DAW systems with Protools TDM PCI and Nubus as well as MOTU PCI and working to integrate them within my established network of Sonic Solutions systems.

I'm looking forward to joining the conversation here and I think I have lots of information to contribute as much as I have to gain.  What really sparked my interest this year was the development of booting OS9 on some of the unsupported hardware.  This finally made use of a 'derelict' MDD that had been shoved away in a corner because it now boots OS9!  I am really excited that this project continues to move forward and I expect we'll see big things this year.  I'll be looking for some guidance in the Protools department at some point, but hopefully I can be of help to the community on other fronts as well.

Regards,
  MacOS Plus

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2016, 08:04:03 PM »
Welcome aboard MacOS Plus! There's a number of us here with ProTools Mix systems! ;D

Offline Ruben Huizenga

• new to the forums
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2016, 11:09:09 AM »
Hey all!

Ruben from Toronto here.
Have had a project studio for quite some time, and have been using PT TDM 5.1.3 on os9 right up till
a few years ago when my friend told me stop being such a curmudgeon.
(complete with good ol' 888 24's.)

Have been using PT 8 HD since then, but with the exception of the waves vocal tuner, and PT's recent "warp" function,
my productivity hasn't changed.

I know people love the delay compensation of newer PT, but outside of phase critical tracks (like drum mics,)
I haven't really had problems.

IMO, PT 5.1.3 reached a threshold of usability (mostly with Beat Detective,) and has only incrementally gotten better since. (Speed-users will no doubt argue..)

Anyway, think I'm gonna fire up ol' "Nessy" again!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2016, 10:29:09 PM »
Hey Ruben... A bunch of us around here use PT 5.1.3 so by all means... fire up 'Nessy'!! ;D

Offline randomdiego

• new to the forums
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2016, 04:06:48 PM »
Hi there!

I'm Diego, newer on macintosh but incredible was my first computer. Now I'm using a 400mhz ruby iMac g3 with OS 9.2.2 -downloaded from here-...thanks for keep this OS running!

Offline Roman & Vika

• new to the forums
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2016, 07:26:06 PM »
My name is Vika. I registered on the site a couple of days ago but got no confirmation reply. I was however able to sign in so I'm just making sure I've done everything properly.  :) Although Mac OS9 is old it is very new to me. I'm excited about finding out what it can do.  :)

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2016, 10:16:00 PM »
Welcome Diego and Vika! It's a pleasure to see new members coming every day!

Offline Roman & Vika

• new to the forums
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2016, 02:40:34 AM »
Thank you Gary!  :)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2016, 05:19:58 AM »
It's a pleasure to see new members coming every day!

Yes it is! Welcome new peeps!! ;D

Offline Damian9303

• new to the forums
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2016, 04:32:30 PM »
I feel that Mac OS 9 Lives! Forums is a pretty good forum page where everyone who likes Mac OS 9 and thinks it should be used as a secondary comes here to get all the downloads to use Mac OS 9 but kinda Normal Means which is fantastic to anyone who wants to just say that they own a Mac and that they use it too. Great site! 10/10!

Offline ranjuro

• Long time caller, first time listener
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2016, 09:26:55 AM »
Hello there everybody.  I'm a lifelong musician, writer, maker, and technology hacker.  I pay my bills writing software, which is boring, so enough about that.  I've been using Macs to further my musical goals since some time in the early 90's when I used the Macs and laserprinters at Kinkos to make J-cards for my bands tapes. 

I have a philosophy and it is this:  Newer gear doesn't render older gear obsolete as long as the older gear can still do the job.  Sometimes, in fact, older gear is better suited to the job than the newer, faster, lighter, whatever.  So, my studio is a mish mash of stuff, a 500mhz iMac G3 sits next to a 3ghz quad-core home-build Windows PC, a Core2 Duo MacMini and a couple modern MacBooks.  I also keep an old iPad 2, iPhone 4, and iPhone 5 around as DSP/effects processors, tuners, lyrics displays, portable mics (the iPhone 4 with a clipped on Tascam 30-pin XY condenser stereo mic is a slick little setup)... you name it.  If it boots and chimes and still runs happy, it has a place in my studio somewhere or another. 

My wife and I have a house and some land a little ways out of town with a few dogs, and a workshop and a barn that I'm converting into a recording studio.  I'm active in the Twin Cities music scene, playing in various bands, recording solo stuff, gigging, recording with various people, the usual stuff.  I hike and I need to lose a few pounds and I have a fishing boat and a kayak and too many hobbies.  I'm here at MacOS9Lives because I've been using Mac stuff long enough to have seen it debut, have it's heyday, and fade into obsolescence and now this is how I can keep it humming in my studio.  That little iMac G3 still runs Reason like a champ.  If I can keep all my old stuff going, that's more money to mod microphones, buy guitars I don't need, build rooms in my barn, and basically keep having fun making music.

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2016, 02:37:12 PM »
That little iMac G3 still runs Reason like a champ.

I remember the Reason 2.5 and Cubase VST v4 on these - they were pretty stable machines and got through alot.

Welcome aboard! :)

Offline Bondi

• new to the forums
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2016, 05:08:04 PM »
Hello all and thanks for letting me join the group!  I was amazed when I found this site a few years back and saw it all about OS 9 **and** music production.  Those are two of my favorite things about computers.  Music is why I'm still on an "old" G4 almost everyday...well, that and the fact that I just like it.  It was my main computer and OS until probably 2 years ago.

What I mostly do with my Mac is write songs in MIDI and then occasionally record with the result as backing tracks.  I started with Harmony Assistant and Sound Sculptor II, I believe, back in the AOL days.  Soon afterwards, I found the program EasyBeat which has been the thing for me because of the way it can handle tablature and drums.  My setup is pretty simple compared to using the full-on DAW applications mentioned here, but it's the very best thing I have ever found for capturing and fleshing-out songs as you make them up.  It works best with OS9 ...and I think I do too. 

Anyway, this seems like a community with a lot of cool folks.  I'm looking forward to learning more from you all and hopefully contributing here too.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 07:18:51 AM by Bondi »

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2016, 06:55:16 AM »
keep having fun making music.

Keep on keeping' on ranjuro! ;D

this seems like a community with a lot of cool folks.

Most of us here think so but we're a little bias! Haha! ;D

Welcome aboard kids!! ;D ;D

Offline dasstraf

• new to the forums
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2016, 04:05:54 AM »
Hello fellow vintage mac savers, my name is alain and i am from belgium. I have a couple of vintage mac's that i tried to put back in their original state but always had troubles to put classic back on there. The main reason i came here is because i found a powerbook 180c but the hard drive is broken. I have the images to restore the os but i can't seem to find a hard drive for it (not for a reasonable price anyway), and belgium doesn't seem to have a vintage mac scene. So i was glad to find this site. Thanks for this site and keep up the good work.

Offline Mat

• Gold Member
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2016, 04:20:46 AM »
Welcome dasstraf. Just to be crystal clear from the beginning, we are not really "vintage". ;) We are using our PPC Macs up to 2GHz day to day mainly with Mac OS 9.2.2
Your Powerbook is a 33MHz 68k one and runs as maximum OS Mac OS 7.5.5. That is vintage. I am sure we will nevertheless try to help you with your vintage 68k Mac. If there is once a question we may not be able to answer, you may have a look at https://68kmla.org/ where the very experianced 68k-crowd is  hanging around.

Offline dasstraf

• new to the forums
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2016, 04:33:53 AM »
Hi Mat, thank's for the warm welcome. And thank's for the link for the vintage mac's. I own a couple of g3,g4 and g5 also, so i think i can learn a few things here as well. Most things i learned with trial and error by myself, so again thanks for this site.

Offline toples50

• new to the forums
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2016, 11:30:56 AM »
Hello guys.

Offline willnubu

• new to the forums
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2016, 02:56:01 AM »
My name is Will & I make music on my computer. I started on Windows XP with Magix Hip Hop Music Maker, then went to Magix Music Maker 2003 deluxe before jumping ship to fl studio 5. In 2006, I went to Mac because I got tired of viruses from internet Explorer. I bought Logic Express 7, read up on the software & realize it had a long history. So I started buying old versions of Logic which led me to buying old Mac computers. In messing around with these computers, I wanted to set them up like my newer Mac, but with older software which led me to sites such as Macos9lives.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2016, 01:33:13 PM »
Who was it that said "Forward…into the past!"

Offline urribarbar

• new to the forums
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2016, 10:17:19 AM »
Hi,
sorry , but where is Forum Download Area ?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member

Offline neurepublik

• new to the forums
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2016, 07:07:35 PM »
Groovy site!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums

Offline bracyp

• Lovin' Life!
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2016, 12:40:43 PM »
Hello to all the Mac fans out there.  I'm new here, but I feel like this is a great community.  I've been with Apple products from the almost the earliest days.  My first experience was with the Apple ][, but I really cut my teeth on the Apple //e and still have my original one from 1988.  I actually used it in 8th grade and it was later traded to one of the local high schools for an attempt at a repair by the electronics class.  No success there so it sat there for a year without any luck until I discovered it when I joined the electronics class.  Simple power supply capacitor problem repaired by me and it was working again.  I was contacted years later (about 4 years ago) by the old electronics teacher saying they were getting rid of some things in storage and I could have a pick of it if I'd like.  Lo and Behold there it was in all it's glory still working. So now I have it at home bringing back the good ole days and showing my kids what life was like on computers back then.

But in the meantime, I had moved completely away from the Apple world except for my nostalgia.  But back when the first iPhone was introduced where I worked at AT&T, it got me thinking that I wanted to get back into it, so I started with the latest and greatest at the time and worked my way backwards to the older PowerPC platform.  I'm loving this stuff and wish that I had been with it in it's earliest days.

Well that's my Apple history.  But I'm also a huge network guy, mostly Cisco.  But love all computer platforms and OS's.  Intel, PowerPC, ARM, etc.; DOS, Windows, Linux, Mac.  Outside of computers I like Amateur Radio, Camping, Japanese culture (I speak fluent Japanese and lived there for two years.) and Science (Astronomy, Physics, etc.)

Nice to be here.

Bracy

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2016, 12:47:24 PM »
Welcome Bracy - can feel the computer love in your story. :-)

Offline Mako

• This transmission is coming to you...
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2016, 03:51:11 PM »
Well, I bought my iMac G3/400 DV (Summer 2000 - I/R) off a computer tech that I worked with, for a Print Design and Illustration degree that I was persuing in 2001. I stopped using it due to moving (like a gypsy) and acquiring a Toshiba laptop (which I still have) in 2006. That aside, I could never part from it. It just sat there with a cover over the vent/handle in many storage piles until this past Christmas. My father in law bought me a Teenage Engineering PO-16. Um, I almost cried. My brain has been craving for a new challenge, a new way to exercise my creativity. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out and within those weeks I started to study music theory, added the 12 and 14 to the mix, and composing songs on paper. I hooked up my iMac 4 days ago and was blown away at how fast it started up. I have Photoshop and Illustrator running 9.2. I was looking at old software for it and came across this website. I was shocked a little but completely understood why there is a following on this OS because it is amazing. For being as underpowered as my iMac is this thing of beauty started faster than any mobile, computer, tablet device I have with some major software on it. The simplicity, sound (which varies depending on where you click on the screen, if wearing headphones, can be louder in one ear), and the way it controls just makes sense to me. I bought 2 512 sticks of ram that shipped today and I am currently looking for a  good DAW to collaborate my sketches saved on the POs. All suggestions are welcome, and I can also answer questions about Photoshop and Illustrator, hell even the POs too.  -afro-

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2016, 07:23:05 PM »
Ahhh… another convert feelin' the love…

Welcome! Just take some time and read through the DAW section. there are complete, ready to go downloads. You can start simple and move up as fast as you like. Digital recording is as complex an endeavor as you make it, so your desire for a new challenge is ready and waiting. Have fun!

Offline Mako

• This transmission is coming to you...
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2016, 06:21:33 AM »
Thanks! Will do.