Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 212858 times)

Offline dnov

• 🍔🍔🍔🍔🍔🍔
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #300 on: September 08, 2016, 06:25:04 AM »
Hi!

I'm the proud owner of an iMac G3 (indigo 500MHZ)! and some intel machines as well. I'm excited about meeting other people who use vintage macs to make music. I live in a small town, and this forum looks like it will be a good place to learn more and talk about this stuff! :)

- D

Offline KTB

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #301 on: September 08, 2016, 10:04:24 AM »
OK, time to break my silence.  Happy OS9 user here.  I don't remember how I found this site but glad I did.  I have always used Macs for making music as a hobby.  First time I saw Cubase I was like WOW!  So in 1996 (or somewhere around there) I became a proud owner of a Powermac 8500 and Cubase 3.0.  I bought a Digital Audio 733 10 years ago and have since moved on to Logic 4.6 and loving it.  My most recent G4 is a MDD 1.25 SP for Logic Pro 6.  However I seem to have misplaced that damn USB dongle.  It will pop up somewhere at some point (I hope  :-[).

Looking forward to learning more from all of you and hope to contribute where possible!

Offline joetramp

• Valued Member (10+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #302 on: September 09, 2016, 08:22:19 AM »
Hi all!

I own a iMac G3 and a PowerMac G4 MDD (and a couple of broken macbooks...). I haven't used any of them for quite some years now and was about to sell them on ebay. While making Photos I just came up with the Idea to integrate the iMac into my studio setup to use it as a sound generator with Reason 2.5. So I went to the internet to get a copy of a Mac OS 9 iso because OS/X won't run very well and I stumbled upon this forum. It seems to be a (the best?) great place to get some old software you can't even find on eBay anymore and I want to say thank you for approving my account. 

I'm still not sure what to do with the MDD because it is WAY too loud to use it as a music production machine (it is REALLY loud, omg). While thinking of it, I could sample the fan's sound... :-)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
  • i did my time on mac os 9
  • Liked:
« Reply #303 on: September 09, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »

I'm still not sure what to do with the MDD because it is WAY too loud to use it as a music production machine (it is REALLY loud, omg). While thinking of it, I could sample the fan's sound... :-)

theres threads here on how to fix the noise... quite a few diff conversations on that.. bu it comes down to replacing the fans in the powersupply its very easy + requires not a lot of skill no soldering involved if u splice the wire + reconnect with Electrical tape like i did!
its totally worth the effort to have an MDD that is quiet.... awesome machine.. a bit heavy a bit loud.. but its worth it to lessen the noise!

Offline lovecolour

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #304 on: September 11, 2016, 11:49:50 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.
Look forward to learning as much as possible.

Offline AeonicB

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #305 on: September 12, 2016, 11:22:54 PM »
Hey, just wanted to give an introduction.

I still have my Boat Anchor Blueberry iMac around, solely for audio work and talking to sequencers through a MIDIMan with MIDIGraphy.

Just wanted to give a wave. :)

Offline crs117

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: September 15, 2016, 06:32:47 PM »
Thanks for setting this up.

I am crs117 from the digidesign forums since around 98. I was heavily involved until my life took a different direction.

A friend of mine's g3 with a 24 mix plus crashed. He is trying to upgrade to a g4, while not much of an upgrade but he needs to get up and running asap to finish a set of sessions. Unfortunately he cannot find his pt.5.1 disk, 5 and before is not compatible with his g4 with OS 9.2.2 and he never upgraded above that. If i can find a 5.1 install disk for mac tdm we should be able to get his studio up and running again.

It is so frustrating with all of the money invested in his PT systems that installation media is impossible to find. So thanks for setting this up you are doing a great thing.

Offline sidoh

• Turn off your Macintosh now.
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: September 15, 2016, 11:43:02 PM »
Hello to all here. I'm a relatively young user but I hope to spend some more time here.

When I was very young, I have played around with G3's and G4's at various places and, if i remember correctly, even owned a G3 at one point. (All I know is that I ran OS 9 and OS X 10.0-10.2 on that thing, judging from the wallpapers I remember.) Sadly, I don't know what happened to that machine and it was eventually replaced by an iBook G4.  :(

Hey, at least I still have Classic Mode. After all, Classic Mode is better than not running OS 9 at all.

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #308 on: September 16, 2016, 05:54:28 AM »
Welcome aboard new peeps! ;D

I'm a relatively young user

at least I still have Classic Mode.

'Classic Mode' is just a 'Hobby Horse'... We need to get you young 'Whipper-Snappers' ridin' the real deal!! ;D

"High-Ho Silver...Away!!!".... (you youngsters will have to google THAT one! Haha!!)  ;D ;D ;D

Offline geforceg4

• Liked:
« Reply #309 on: September 16, 2016, 08:00:07 AM »
Thanks for setting this up.

I am crs117 from the digidesign forums since around 98. I was heavily involved until my life took a different direction.

A friend of mine's g3 with a 24 mix plus crashed. He is trying to upgrade to a g4, while not much of an upgrade but he needs to get up and running asap to finish a set of sessions. Unfortunately he cannot find his pt.5.1 disk, 5 and before is not compatible with his g4 with OS 9.2.2 and he never upgraded above that. If i can find a 5.1 install disk for mac tdm we should be able to get his studio up and running again.

It is so frustrating with all of the money invested in his PT systems that installation media is impossible to find. So thanks for setting this up you are doing a great thing.

pretty easy to find that here ;) thanks to the macos9lives contributors!

Offline sidoh

• Turn off your Macintosh now.
  • Liked:
« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2016, 01:36:04 PM »
Welcome aboard new peeps! ;D

I'm a relatively young user

at least I still have Classic Mode.

'Classic Mode' is just a 'Hobby Horse'... We need to get you young 'Whipper-Snappers' ridin' the real deal!! ;D

"High-Ho Silver...Away!!!".... (you youngsters will have to google THAT one! Haha!!)  ;D ;D ;D

I'll pray a thousand prayers for thy death. (Old reference challenge accepted.)  ;D

Anyways, I tried getting a PDQ G3 Powerbook a couple of years back, but I lost the bidding on ebay. I have also heard that QEMU has made great progress in emulating OS 9 recently (although the FPU emulation is extremely slow, and there's no sound). I'll try the 'dark side' and see how it goes.

Offline rvense

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
  • Lombard & son
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #311 on: September 16, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
Hey. I'm just here to help keep my brother's old Sawtooth G4 running.

Offline geforceg4

• Liked:
« Reply #312 on: September 22, 2016, 10:56:59 PM »
congrats to all on 2000th member of the site! September 2016!

Offline roamingrob

• Getting back to roots!!!
    • www.bisbeebacon.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #313 on: September 30, 2016, 06:25:15 PM »
Greetings  ;D ........  I am a Mac user since the Mac 128.  I have had a LOT of Mac systems over the years and recently I have decided to get back the roots and explore what I can do with some of the 68K and PPC machines.  I recently got a "$10.00" imac G4 up and running again and have 10.4.11 and OS 9.2.2 running.   It's really great to have stumbled upon this site.......  very exciting !!!   I really believe the "old" systems have a place in this world for creative work.  .... anyhow..... glad to be here :)

Bob

Offline geforceg4

• Liked:
« Reply #314 on: September 30, 2016, 07:58:57 PM »
I really believe the "old" systems have a place in this world for creative work.  .... anyhow..... glad to be here :)

Bob

love this comment, and i couldnt agree more!!!!!!

Offline Salvo B

• Cronic Misbeliever
  • Liked:
« Reply #315 on: October 02, 2016, 02:57:28 PM »
HI Everyone!

I Would like to introduce myself... I was a long time PPC mac user since my Powerbook G4 Aluminium started to not displaying any output (even if I know for sure that it works, probably the video card is messed up).
Nowdays i've bought an iMac G3 Indigo 500 MHz for placing in my studio as a cool design object and of course to using it as an external synth/sound generator unit in my DAW (windows based...) setup (that BTW includes also a Commodore 64 w MSSIAH cartidge).

Thanks to the efforts of this community i was able to install OS 9.2.2 and getting a lot of cool software and hints to configure my old mac.

Well, so thanks for accepting my subscription, I think that here I'll find a nice place for discussing everything OS9 and all DAW related topics

Offline JohnT

• New to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #316 on: October 03, 2016, 11:29:52 AM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the OK, nice to see this community up and running.

Long time Mac user here, 1st one was out of a skip from our old college, an old Performa with OS7....moved up to the new iMac and that survived years on OS8/9, then moved to a G4 466 DA, loved that machine, (OS9 & OSX) then found a QS at the tip that just needed a HD and up and running, all gone now sadly but we still have a G5 (PPC) and our daughter uses an Intel G5 for her work (Illustration), although I still have the original 15" Monitor (ADC) that we got with the G4.

But there is hope, picked up a 867 DP (MDD) yesterday for £12, a bit disappointed at first as it was advertised as a 1.25 SP as it was solely bought for recording music but hey ho no doubt it will do what I need it to. : )

My name is John and I use a Mac.

: )

Offline geforceg4

• Liked:
« Reply #317 on: October 03, 2016, 05:31:12 PM »
picked up a 867 DP (MDD) yesterday for £12, a bit disappointed at first as it was advertised as a 1.25 SP as it was solely bought for recording music but hey ho no doubt it will do what I need it to. : )

i had one before - its a great machine despite it not being "the best" it still is great + felt speedy to me when i used one.

Offline deluxxx

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #318 on: October 03, 2016, 07:16:29 PM »
Hello friends I have a new iMac g3 http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_dv_400.html

I found it on the way to the dump with a dead hard drive and 64mb of ram :(

I added 1gb ram and a 40gb silent drive. Now not running.  I think it will have a nice place in my home as a boombox / thin client / music server.

I also use a PowerBook G4 as a daily driver (with Debian)but I have only slightly used macos10 and never macos9.

I'm here to learn about the power behind macOS and find a use case for my iMac G3.

Offline LocoTaskMaster

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #319 on: October 04, 2016, 09:47:50 AM »
I am Chris, I have a number of legacy Macs, a 512, PowerBook, 7100, etc. and enjoy getting them working and maxed out, and somewhat modernized, such as replacing the hard disks with SCSI2SD. I have many vintage synths that I'm getting hooked back up after a few years of inactivity and working on getting the sw and hw to do this again, and happened upon this group.  Looking forward to reading through the posts and getting new ideas too.

Offline JohnT

• New to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #320 on: October 04, 2016, 10:24:39 AM »
picked up a 867 DP (MDD) yesterday for £12, a bit disappointed at first as it was advertised as a 1.25 SP as it was solely bought for recording music but hey ho no doubt it will do what I need it to. : )

i had one before - its a great machine despite it not being "the best" it still is great + felt speedy to me when i used one.

Good to hear, it will be set up and used until I get a 1.25 at the right price and then passed on.

:)

Offline mikkmuzik

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #321 on: October 10, 2016, 03:17:06 PM »
Hi I have never posted on here before, I started using a G3 233 in 2001 before that i had an Atari 1040  :D Then progressed to a 333 then a G4 933 now in my studio a dp1.25 this will be my last mac i have. I hate change for change sake, with that i run VST 5.1 maudio 2496 midiman 2x4 and delta 66 ......Mikk

Offline johngeronilla

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #322 on: October 10, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »
hey all,

Just got a powerbook g4 w/ mac os 9.

Looking forward to being part of the community.

Offline Patrick Philipot

• new member from France
  • Liked:
« Reply #323 on: October 18, 2016, 04:02:29 AM »
Hello guys,

My name is patrick, I'm french and I live in France, in Montpellier (south of France near the mediterranean see). Thanks to the forum I've been able to install mac OS 9 on a PowerMac G4 733 Mhz Quicksilver I had just acquired. It was yesterday.

The first thing I've done was to register to this forum using a freshly installed Netscape 7. I wanted to say thank you.

The PowerMac G4 733 Mhz Quicksilver is a machine I could not afford when I was young. I'm now 57. As many, the first Apple thing I got was an iPod. The first iMac I bought, I kept it only for one day because it was missing some clunky softwares I was used to, and because I was still kind of stupid at the time. I gave it to my son, who was more than happy with it.

I got the idea of getting some old macintosh after reading an article in "Infinite loops - Ars Technica" about HyperCard. After that I watched an interview of Bill Atkinson (the father of HyperCard) on Youtude (Triangulation 244 with Leo Laporte). After some testing with emulators, I wanted to get the real thing. And that's how I came here.

I had no idea there were still so many people and sites devoted to the old macintosh. I have some things to discover. It's kind of a gold mine to explore.
pat

Offline geforceg4

• Liked:
« Reply #324 on: October 18, 2016, 11:06:16 PM »
Hi I have never posted on here before, I started using a G3 233 in 2001 before that i had an Atari 1040  :D Then progressed to a 333 then a G4 933 now in my studio a dp1.25 this will be my last mac i have. I hate change for change sake, with that i run VST 5.1 maudio 2496 midiman 2x4 and delta 66 ......Mikk

does the audiphile 2496 work in combination with the delta 66? i think i remember reading that you can easily use these together iwth the same driver? up to 4 cards?

Offline madalynmcworm

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #325 on: October 19, 2016, 04:24:50 PM »
Hello!
Picked up a MDD, needed something classic to mess with. Tired of newer stuff.

Offline mnemic

• music/photo/beer/life
  • Liked:
« Reply #326 on: October 24, 2016, 10:53:05 AM »
hi everyone, i'm from Moscow and i like old system mac os very much. i work on pro tools tdm 5.3.1 for a long time and i'm happy that I've found this forum, where i can find people holding the same views
Theater sound design

Offline bmfm5

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #327 on: November 01, 2016, 08:32:06 AM »
Used Cubase back in the 90s and just came across all my old files.  I want to export my old files and hear them for one more time.  Also want to get Rebirth running again so I can use/write/read my old Rebirth songs.  Really miss using this old software! 

Offline reject

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #328 on: November 01, 2016, 08:37:48 AM »
Used Cubase back in the 90s and just came across all my old files.  I want to export my old files and hear them for one more time.  Also want to get Rebirth running again so I can use/write/read my old Rebirth songs.  Really miss using this old software! 

That's awesome! What kind of setup will you be running it on?

OS 9 is my favorite Mac OS. I've been faithfully running it on my PowerBook G3 (Pismo) ever since.

Offline idiotoflinux

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #329 on: November 02, 2016, 12:19:55 AM »
Hi, i am Jeroen, got into Apple from my time at school in the dutch town of Zeist (where apples where used a lot.

got myself a PowerMac G4 with os9

sent from my MBP

Offline auto35404

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #330 on: November 02, 2016, 10:14:21 PM »
Hi Everybody!  Just wanted to thank you for all of the work done to create this resource for everybody!  I'm just looking to setup an OS9 DAW so I can use some old Korg and other synth cards in a QS G4 I bought for $50.

Thanks again!
 :)

Offline hydrophonic

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #331 on: November 04, 2016, 01:42:01 PM »
 Hello everybody! Feel so lucky to have found this forum. I purchased my first Mac 120 8K the month that they were released. I have two Power Mac G4's that are the nerve center of my ProTools recording studio running OS9.1 and PT5.1.3.

Offline Weedy Weed Smoker

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: November 07, 2016, 08:53:46 PM »
Hello and thanks for approving me to this community, I've been a fellow Mac user since System 6 !

I'm now a graphic designer, and my first crush at computer graphics was the awesome black and white pixels photos from the hidden question mark option in Kid Pix...

Thanks for having me here !   ;)

Offline suburbGira

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: November 09, 2016, 09:09:07 AM »
hi i signed up to see the downloads. also, can mac os 9 be run on VBox?

Offline Knezzen

• Pro Tools addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: November 09, 2016, 09:17:21 AM »
also, can mac os 9 be run on VBox?

Short answer: No.
Long answer: You could run it emulated in Sheepshaver (use Google to find it).

Offline suburbGira

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: November 09, 2016, 09:25:31 AM »
also, can mac os 9 be run on VBox?

Short answer: No.
Long answer: You could run it emulated in Sheepshaver (use Google to find it).

Tried sheepshaver before, didn't work. (didnt have a linux package and couldnt be bothered running like 99999999 commands)
did i mention i use linux?

Offline Knezzen

• Pro Tools addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: November 09, 2016, 09:35:55 AM »
Sheepshaver is pretty much what you can use on Linux. I use Linux too, but not for my Mac OS 9 stuff, I have old Macs for that. Depending on your Linux distro there should be binarys allready compiled and how-to's awailable.

If you can't be bothered hacking away in the terminal, then the only thing I can recommend is trying to source a Mac OS 9 compatible G4 Mac somewhere.

Offline wankelmonkay

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: November 12, 2016, 02:55:49 PM »
Hello, introducing myself, I'm an IT guy who has always had a thing for electronic music and old macs. Trying to bring some of the passion to life, got a Gismo, B+W G3 tower, and and SE/30 and PowerBook 190.

Offline djs2500

• new to the forums but not to the world
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: November 14, 2016, 08:25:21 AM »
Hey new user here to the forums, although long time Mac user. Currently in the stead are:
iMac 2013 21í 16GB with 240 SSD
MacBook Air 13í 4GB and 128SSD
Macbook Early 2006 Core Duo, 2GB and 120 SSD new battery and runs SL great
PowerMac G5 2.0GHZ Late 2005 with Matching Monitor
PowerMac G5 1.8GHZ with Studio Display
Mac Mini 2007 with 4GB and 128 SSD 20í Apple Alum display
Mac Mini G4 1st gen
iMac 21í Late 2006 with 1TB HD and 4GB
2x B&W G3 PowerMacs
PowerMac G4 MDD with a bad power supply (Looking for one)
PowerMac G4 Quick Silver loaded
iBook G3 x 2 600mhz and 800mhz both loaded
iMac G5 17í 1ST gen that is in need of repairs. 
Main Machine: MB Air

Offline Stash

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: November 19, 2016, 05:11:13 PM »
Hi.. new to the forum.

Have an old iMac G4 (the flexible head one) as well as a really old classic.
In the process of restoring the iMac back so i can open a number of music files i composed on, so i can eventually update them and move them into Logic Pro.

Love Macs since 1988.

John

Offline Pimpadeus

• Pimpin' Thru the Galaxy
  • Liked:
Salutations!
« Reply #340 on: November 24, 2016, 01:01:20 AM »
Greetings and good evening to all!

My name is PIMPADEUS and I am a new member.

I operate a Pro Tools Mix+ rig at my studio in Louisiana.

I am a retired "pyro-technical" guitarist and a current railroad employee.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to interact with this community
of skilled, helpful individuals!

Offline LDstudios

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #341 on: November 30, 2016, 06:36:12 PM »

Hello everyone!

I am deeply intrigued by old music tech. I would really love to piece together an old Classic Mac based Protools 1 rig or something like that... but for now (literally today), I am content with a G4 MDD running OS9 and a bunch of Ensoniq Paris hardware that was given to me. Great DAW! Getting OS9 onto a MDD G4 on the other hand? Not so straight forward. Haha.

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: December 01, 2016, 07:14:58 AM »

Getting OS9 onto a MDD G4 on the other hand? Not so straight forward.

There are many resources here to MAKE it straight forward and relatively easy to put OS9 on a G4!! Have a look around and welcome! ;D

Offline os9os9os9

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: December 02, 2016, 06:11:54 PM »
HI !  Glad to have found your site.  I own a PB520 currently running os 7.1.1 and a Performa 630 upgraded to 6200 running os 9.0.4

always looking for ways to maintain them and to network with newer macs.

Looking forward to learning some new things

Offline PedroTheCat

• OS9 Noob
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: December 05, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »
Hello everybody,

Not a very long time mac user like most people here are.

Played a bit on a Macintosh Classic II ages ago as a kid (Shufflepuck Cafť on a floppy disk was lots of fun) and have quite some experience with OS X, (used all versions from 10.4 until 10.11 on a hackintosh).

Recently decided to get a Power Mac G4 MDD to try OS9 and see how the classic Mac OS is, and it's pretty awesome. There's just something about it, even though it definitely has its quirks.

Offline timmay23

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: December 05, 2016, 01:42:13 PM »
Hi All,

Timmy here. I grew up with a Macintosh IIcx as my first personal computer, so I am very nostalgic about the Mac OS System 7-OS9. I use a Power Mac (cheesegrater) with El Capitan right now to do all my music, but I have been playing around with Sheepshaver and just bought a G4 cube off eBay. I would love to start experimenting with music creation in OS9. Thank you all for this excellent community and site.
Cheers!

Offline UniSIMM

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: December 06, 2016, 01:48:23 AM »
Hi everyone. Why I'm here:

I recently acquired a G4 (digital audio) and three cinema hd studio displays (with the old proprietary connectors). The G4 also included an ultrawide PCI card and one appropriate 34 GB hard drive and a working Zip 100 drive (but the CD-ROM drive is dead). And in researching what exactly I can do with all this, I ended up here. The focus is audio/midi production, so this must be the place!

My background in playing/composing music starts around 1978 (prior to that, my big kickstarters were hearing Switched On Bach and Frankenstein by the Edgar Winter Group; I was never the same after that). I shudder to this day when I think about the gear I had back then and through the 80's (MiniMoog, MicroMoog, ARP Solina, Yamaha SS30 string machine, EML 101, PolyMoog, Yamaha CP70, Oberheim OB-1, and on and on and on). I also had the privilege of working with some of the classics like the CS80, Jupiter 8, Emulator II, OBX-A and on and on.

I eventually constructed my own little studio based around a II FX (with some nice Nubus cards) which then became a Quadra 950 and then a Beige G3 and finally a G4 Quicksilver. At some point I had attached a couple of ADATs and an Opcode Studio 5lx and somehow got that all working (in the Quadra 950 I also had a Digidesign Audiomedia card and a Tascam DAT which was so cool back then).

I didn't have a lot of hardware synths at that time, but I got by with a Roland D550, an Ensoniq ASR-10, a Korg T1 and O5rw and a DX7. My MIDI sequencer at that time was Cubase VST but I had begun using Studio Vision just before that all fell apart. I was intimately familiar with the trials and tribulations of getting all that stuff to work consistently.

Then life intervened and I left that all behind. But a few years ago, life having settled down, I started again and built a studio based around an iMac (2011, 27") and four MOTU interfaces (one 828x and three 8pre's giving me 32 inputs). Logic was the DAW (I still hate that term) I settled on. The synths I acquired were two DW8000's, Alesis QS6.1, EMU5000 and 6400 samplers, Yamaha A4000 sampler, Roland XV5080, EMU Audity 2000, Yamaha SG1, Korg Poly61, M-Audio Venom, GEM S2R, Korg M3, Radias, Korg R3 and a Roland Vsynth XT. And a lot of software.

I also added an old PC for running old Windows utilities and virtual synths, all integrated into the main system.

And now I have my G4/OS9/OSX adventure ahead of me. Somehow I think this completes everything. The best of all worlds. And I look forward to learning what has transpired since those days of wild abandon and multiple reboots and extension management :-) And it looks like there are lots of software resources available as well. Looking forward to revisiting some of that.

I'm looking to integrate an Opcode Studio 5lx into this if I can find one and figure out how to get the serial ports hooked into my G4. I have some options to try, having acquired some Keyspan 4-port serial cards and serial to USB adapter. If anyone has experience doing this, I'd love to hear about any successes or failures. And is it even possible to hook up three Studio Displays to the G4 using three video cards? I would still need to find two more if it is possible.

And thanks to the people behind this site for bringing it into existence and keeping it there!

Offline rukkus

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: December 06, 2016, 10:20:39 AM »
Hi all,

Iīm new here, iīm from Chile (southamerica) from 2002 that i cannot use os9 and yesterday a powerbook g4 1ghz titanium reached my hands, so Iīm trying to bring to life again the Ti G4 installing OS9.2 (the G4 had installed 10.5 but i cannot used this laptop with OSX, only with OS9).

Offline scottkrk

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: December 09, 2016, 11:08:28 PM »
Hi from Australia

Offline dom5869

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: December 16, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »
hello,
a long time mac user (since 1990) from France, i'm trying to make music with an Imac G4 700.

Offline Edin

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: December 20, 2016, 12:45:49 PM »
A big hello from Germany to everyone who's interested. Let me shortly introduce myself, what I did or am doing, respectively, why I am here and what I expect.
I am fighting with my mac mini's internal DVD drive for years now. Actually mac's CD or DVD devices are absolutely annoying as they always were and are so balky and refuse about 20 % of my volumes. Every mac I had over the past 20 years. After one specific update some months ago no DVD or volume with video is being accepted anymore. Right, I scraped together 35 EURO and purchased an external DVD device I immediately fell in love with. It is so smooth and obliging, simply accepts every CDDVD+--+readwrite ...
Now the point:
I took my old backups from the late 90s / early 00s and found out that they all were not yet backed up to my main backups on external drives. Lucky I am almost all volumes could be read and transformed. But for many files being personally important for me there is no application to open or convert. Especially some music projects (Cubase VST, Peak, SonicX) seem to be far out of access.
I got a hint that maybe I could get some hints here, and that's why I am here.
The main iMac I was using are still available, but not it's graphic card, it's audio card, it's ... don't know, everything got broken over the years. Now I am running SheepShaver with Mac OS9 on latest ElCapitan on a mac mini. The most important projects concern Cubase. I'm using Logic for years now and as far as I understood open old projects is easy possible. Cubase seems to be much more complicate. Certainly, I could open all the audio files and rearrange them, it would take much time, maybe it was worth it. But I like to reuse all the midi files also.
And here is my request (rather a dream): A CubaseToLogicWizard converting all projects into Logic no matter what version they are created. I forgot to mention: Certainly with only one click for each project   :P
Folks: Please make this Wizard available to me and I do not bother you again, just say thanks and goodbye  ;)
Otherwise: Any idea?

Offline GaryN

• Liked:
« Reply #351 on: December 20, 2016, 03:42:05 PM »
And here is my request (rather a dream): A CubaseToLogicWizard converting all projects into Logic no matter what version they are created. I forgot to mention: Certainly with only one click for each project   :P

Yes indeed it is a dream! This issue is shared by every single artist who uses a computer to produce their art. Any project produced in a specific app will require much effort to "transfer" to a different app years later. There is only one real solution: Archive the hardware and software that is used to produce the product along with the product.

Major record companies have spent huge amounts of money dealing with this exact same issue. Imagine going back to remix a project recorded on an early Sony or Mitsubishi digital multitrackÖ One has no choice at all but to access a working model of that machine.

This is one of the main reasons that ProTools has managed to maintain its leading position in the music production universe for so many years. One knows that the latest version will most likely open and import the oldest project one has with little or no fuss.

What you are realizing now is that you should have archived your projects in the most universal formats available then. Standard MIDI files, AIFF or WAVE files and a bunch of text explaining / reminding you how everything went together then would go a long way now.

If the old stuff is indeed that important to you, you'll find the means to re-acquire whatever "obsolete" hardware you now lack and the software to run on it to revisit the project and / or export it into a format you can bring into Logic or whatever DAW de jour you're using. Fortunately, it's not yet too late and all of it is actually still find-able.

Offline Courbs

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: December 20, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

I currently own a G4 Cube and recently inherited a graphite dual CPU G4 PowerMac. I have always wanted a DAW setup and always found the ones from my youth (in school) far easier to use than the big stuff put out today. I'm also a big fan of creative constraints in my writing and I want to bring this to my music writing as well.

Aside from that, I adore the system sounds in OS 9 and love the snappy attitude the OS has. I so desperately wish there was something comparable and modern - there are linux OSes written in assembly language which are very fast - but the software selection and charm leaves much to be desired!

So! Thank you all. I know this place will be a trove of nostalgia, geekdom and information on an operating system that holds a special place in our hearts! It's great to be here!

Offline Edin

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: December 21, 2016, 11:36:07 AM »
Hi Gary, Thanks for your comments.

There is only one real solution: Archive the hardware and software that is used to produce the product along with the product.

Yes, I am heeding this advise the recent years, but for that special purpose it is about 20 years too late.

If the old stuff is indeed that important to you, you'll find the means to re-acquire whatever "obsolete" hardware you now lack and the software to run on it to revisit the project and / or export it into a format you can bring into Logic or whatever DAW de jour you're using. Fortunately, it's not yet too late and all of it is actually still find-able.

I absolutely agree to your approach. But, it is just my hobby. I am already spending a reasonable part of my money (when released by my wife) into gear and stuff. But I do not like to purchase an entire software just for converting. This is my view today, maybe this will change. If I knew somebody with Cubase in my neighbourhood or had a friend, I would ask them for conversation. If somebody did it for me as a service, I would probably be ready to pay for it. But my first approach was to ask this forum for any ideas.

Offline pdemaret

• In a Mac OS 9 revival
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: December 22, 2016, 07:43:00 AM »
Hi,

Let me introduce myself in a few words. Having been in close contact with macs since the advent of system 6, I have a few old computers - almost dead- that I want to revive.
I have no hope for my Mac+ or for the Grey G3s, but still have one MDD G4 able to run OS9, at least it is the last model that could run it. As soon at it is OK, I will change the wind turbines this computer uses as coolers ;-).

I am very happy to join a community of macos 9 enthousisasts.

Patrick.

Offline it0uchpods

• Mac mini G4, PowerBook G4 Titanium
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: December 22, 2016, 12:56:18 PM »
Hi,
I'm Josh and I'm a computing enthusiast. I have always had older PCs from 1997-2005 lying around, but recently I got into older Macs, when I received my first PPC machine, a 2005 Mac mini G4. I purchased a 2001 Titanium PowerBook G4 (which has the nicest keyboard I've seen on a laptop in a long time!), and have been using that as my main laptop for a little while now, since my 2009 Black MacBook is out of service at the moment. In fact, I'm posting this from OS 9.2.2 with Classilla 9.3.3 right now!

Mac OS 9 is a very nice OS, and I've really enjoyed using it as a work machine, for creating documents, spreadsheats, and presentations with Office 2001, and even browsing the web, or reading email, still works acceptably well. I'm glad to be a part of this community!
Josh

Offline WolfpackN64

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: December 23, 2016, 01:13:26 AM »
Hello everyone

I proudly own a Quicksilver G4 (733 MHz) I've used since my early childhood (it was my grandfathers computer, but he recently gifted it to me). Furthermore, I own two G3 iMac's (one Indigo and one Ruby) and a G4 Mac Mini.

Mac OS 9 was basically my first OS and I have many fond memories of it. We upgraded most of our Mac's we had to Mac OS X when it came out and I have many fond memories of it too. However, I feel Apple is doing everything in their to make me regret having stuck with them for so long. I feel Apple's direction has made Mac more fashion statement items then really useful computers and they went in an arm's race with Microsoft to make their platforms more of a "Connected Computer" then a "Personal Computer".

This has started a slow transition towards Linux for me, but I recently looked back at OS 9. I was happy to find this community still dedicated to it. I know not everyone will have such a negative outlook at the new MacOS as I have, but it's a reason for me to love the classics. Furthermore I follow the Amiga scene since I also find it to be an interesting platform.

The Quicksilver btw ran MacOS X for over a decade, but since recently and thanks to this community, it's back to basics and it's running 9.2.2 again.

I hope to see this Classic platform survive, and maybe move forward a little :)

Casper

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: December 23, 2016, 12:14:32 PM »

it was my grandfathers computer, but he recently gifted it to me

For some reason that struck me as very funny and makes me feel ...ah... 'Vintage'!! Haha!

Welcome new peeps! ;D ;D

Offline WolfpackN64

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: December 23, 2016, 03:44:07 PM »
For some reason that struck me as very funny and makes me feel ...ah... 'Vintage'!! Haha!

Welcome new peeps! ;D ;D
Thanks!

To make you feel less vintage, my grandfather's job was in the press sector, so he had to (and did) keep up with the latest technology. He was already over 60 years old when he got it (he's still rocking a Core Duo iMac as his current PC).

Offline Vanmax22

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: December 26, 2016, 10:15:04 PM »
Hi I'm Vanmax22. I got here by googling OS 9 programs. I like old computer software, and music production.

Offline ccc

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #360 on: December 30, 2016, 10:21:05 PM »
hello!
nice to meet you.
I own PowerBook G3 (Pismo).
I was order new lcd display.
please take care for "Vinegar Syndrome"!!!

thank you ;)

Offline mu:zines

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #361 on: January 03, 2017, 04:08:36 PM »
Hey guys,

Discovered this nice resource in my referral logs for my site, as there are a few links to me from here. :)

I also have an interest in archive music/computer tech, and I run www.muzines.co.uk where we are archiving and re-publishing music tech magazines such as Sound On Sound, Music Technology and Electronics & Music Maker - lots of retro computing stuff, synths, samplers, recording gear and so on.

Fun to look around here, and maybe find some stuff to run in my MacOS9 emulator!  8)

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #362 on: January 03, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »
"... win an oscar... different methods of triggering modular sequencers from click-tracks on tape..."

fun stuff... welcome muzines!
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Stephencl

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #363 on: January 05, 2017, 09:18:40 PM »
Hey folks,

I am a newbie here... I use my mac's for music production work.  My first mac was a classic, that still runs my first copy of Performer purchased in 1990. I still have it and keep it in a case.  I use three additional macs today for my music work,  A Quadra 840av running 7.6, a Powerbook G3 running 9.3 and a Mac Pro Quad processor running Leopard.

I am trying to get some older Opcode editors working for a newly acquired tx816 yamaha synth module..

thanks for inviting me to the party..

Stephen

Offline elio

• new to the forums
    • soundscapes on soundcloud
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: January 08, 2017, 11:55:27 AM »
Hello,

first of all, I wish you an excellent new year!

Then, I must confess that I found myself here, while hopelessly looking for some old
software for sound processing. I believe it to be stored in the secret vaults of this site.

Iíve been involved with music for a very long time, in conventional and less conventional ways; Iíve alway been fascinated by sounds and noises and by the ways to organise them.
In the conventional side, Iím a guitarist and I truly love the instrument.
On the other hand, I started to manipulate sound sources: microphones feedback,
radios, tape recorders long ago.
Before buying my first computer I was mainly working with Revoxes.
Then, in 2001, Iíve got an iBook G3/600mHz: it marked the beginning of a new and very intense period of work in soundesign.
I still have the iBook, perfectly working but, infortunately, Iíve lost some important software;
among other, the amazing Sonicworks Bundle, from Prosoniq.
I think I still miss it.

Thanks

P.s. Iím on Soundcloud under the pseudo of Eliosandros; but itís been ages since I last  updated.
"Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing"

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #365 on: January 08, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »
sonicworx is freeware since 2005, but i think it requires a G4 processor.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline GaryN

• Liked:

Offline corchea

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
introducing myself
« Reply #367 on: January 10, 2017, 04:21:08 AM »
Hi guys

My name is Jesus..(not kidding, please).... I work in Spain teaching music technology.  I begun in this fascinating world with a machine Macintosh ED (512 kb. RAM, no HD) in 1987.  After some issues with the Apple policies and after passed out by Performa 630, G3 and G4, I changed to Windows and Linux in 1999. It is now when I try to recover my old G4 with all that old amazing apps. Any advice or help will be welcome.
Greetings from Spain.

Offline Bcoder

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #368 on: January 12, 2017, 11:18:07 AM »
Hello from Boston!

Offline Miro Le Ravi

• is there anybody out there
    • Miro funky show
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: January 12, 2017, 04:20:45 PM »
hello 
i founded this topic interesting   and it made think about it too  about myself  why i am  so connected after all these years  to  my studio  vintage like  that and even  in  the tools vinyl's guitars amp etc etc 
  i am  very  sensible  about the history  of tools   i used  and how they have  a relation  and inspiration  with  me since these all years
i began  working  on  an apple 2  europlus  when i was 14 
  i was already interested  about  the  fact to  use  a micro computer for going  on transpac  playing games ( lode runner etc  )
and a friend of mine  showed me  some robotics applications and we passť a lot of time programming  for making moves  ;:) 
anyway 
a few years later   i had a classic mac 
then  a performa  etc 
when  arrived after  years of studio  with  an akai  tape  24 tracks  and an atari 
i began to made my first studio  to do demo  for others and my own first album 
that has bee released  in sonycolumbia in 2000   and made me come a little bit famous in france

at this time  i had a g3  and installed the THREE MOTU Interface   then came in 2002  the g4
the studio  has come bigger  and bigger 
but  i ve been so used to work on it  and it was so fluent  for recording and doing music
that  i didn't want to change
the people who works with  me 
comes for the pleasure to play on my vintage keyboards and amp 
personnaly  i prefered to stay on the mac os 9  because  i feel that i am  in comfortable  space of work  i  can easily  find what i want and it doesn't seem to have a police inside the computer 
mac oX  seems to work  only with internet and makes obsolete everything 
since that day i am  still working with the g4 
the same motu midi time piece av  the three  motu  1224 audio interface 
all the materiel  in the studio  ( ensoniq ,oberheim moog ,etc etc  are on  since 20 years  )

i didn't want to change system  because i see what  it s new  and the workflow is  clearly more musical  and simple to do some music  and not  masturbate  our head  in front of nice  plugs that try to  looks like  real buttons  of hardware   stuff :) 
i m not nostalgic 
i even realized that we do stuff today that  improves  the bit cal  of audio system  and the  old 2.72  sounds better and is more stable  than any  new dp  with this all  new features 
it s a fact  i wok  every day on the studio  with it  .. all the rest cam business

HONESTLY GUYS WHY CHANGES SOMETHING THAT HELPS TO MAKE YOUR WORK  AND STILL TODAY I VE NOT FINISHED TO  IMPROVES MY WAY OF WORKING  AND  IT  S LIKE  ANOTHER FINGER OF MY HAND 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:39:43 PM by Miro Le Ravi »
la vie est belle c'est le monde qui est triste ...

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #370 on: January 12, 2017, 05:11:36 PM »
Very Awesome pics, Thank you :)

Offline burgu

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #371 on: January 12, 2017, 05:46:49 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to the mac world. I've always had windows computers. But some day I saw a screenshot of Mac os 9 and loved it instantly. So first I found a Powerbook G3 (Lombard I think) and now I have an iMac G4. I use it to write, to learn programming (mainly with MCL for the moment) and to compose midi music.
This is a great forum.

Offline Simplemac

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2017, 06:15:55 PM »
hey all y'all, in my search for the old , rare , and priceless i ended up here , and it is pretty cool !!!

Offline nickbirkby

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #373 on: January 14, 2017, 10:25:32 AM »
Miro, nice pics, thanks!

Offline aldebaran

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #374 on: January 29, 2017, 05:20:03 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm a very new member here but not new to Macs and OS9. I've used the Apple II back in 1984 and graduated to a IIci in 1992 when I started college. Over the years I've owned a Quadra 800, upgraded to a 8100/80, 9600, B&W G3 Yosemite, Powerbook G4 Titanium, PowerMac G4 Yikes, G4 Digital Audio, MDD G4 dual 1GHz, Core Duo iMac and finally a recent MacMini Iris Graphics.

In recent years I find myself moving away from Macs and dabbled in Linux and Windows as it is better suited to what I do now.

I still own the PowerPC 9600 with 1GB or RAM with the original 604e Mach 350MHz CPU, B&W G3 Yosemite with a G4 upgrade, Dual G4 Digital Audio and my 2001 Titanium Powerbook G4 "Mercury" 500MHz. All of which I couldn't part with due to nostalgic reasons.

I have OS9 installed on all but the G4 DA and have all of them put in storage for almost 10 years.

Recently I decided to revive the Powerbook Ti with a SSD drive, a new battery and a fresh install of OS9, but realized I had removed the faulty DVDROM drive from the laptop. So I went online looking for solutions to install OS9 and the searches somehow led me here.

I did manage to install OS 9 through a firewire SD card reader a few days ago. Now I'm reinstalling all the software and games that I had played when I was a young adult back in 1992-98 ish and enjoying this trip down memory lane.
I've installed Myst and Descent 3! I even found a bunch of old Multimedia CDROM titles like "From Alice To Ocean" and "Oceans Below" to play around with.

OS9 is blazing fast on this ancient powerbook G4. The latest OSX isn't even that responsive on my current Quad core i5 MacMini (Iris) and 16GB RAM!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal