Author Topic: 1995 comparison LOGIC • DIGITAL PERFORMER • STUDIO VISION • CUBASE  (Read 7345 times)

supernova777

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/dec95/macsequencers.html

• EMAGIC LOGIC AUDIO
• MOTU DIGITAL PERFORMER
• OPCODE STUDIO VISION
• STEINBERG CUBASE AUDIO

The latest big thing in computer-based sequencing is the integration of real-world audio and MIDI data within the same program. MIKE COLLINS puts the four leading Macintosh contenders head to head to see how they compare across a range of facilities.

WHICH MAC?

For a start, you definitely need a large-screen Mac for using any of these programs, or, better still, two screens. As far as RAM is concerned, I'd recommend not less than 24Mb, and 48Mb would be better, especially if you're using several TDM plug-ins, though you could get by with 16Mb on a Quadra 650 if you're not doing anything too fancy. PowerMacs are more demanding as far as RAM is concerned, but when native versions of the current software is released, the extra speed increase is sure to be worth it.

The next consideration is PCI, a new standard buss system used by the latest PowerMacs, the 8500 and the 9500, in place of the NuBus system used in prior models. All the Digidesign cards use NuBus, but it is possible to buy a Digidesign-compatible NuBus expansion chassis from a company called Second Wave, which connects to these new models using a PCI card (if you want to use a NuBus digital video system, however, you should be aware that Radius VideoVision Studio does not work in the NuBus-to-PCI expansion chassis). Digidesign have announced that they will be producing PCI versions of their hardware from around the first quarter of 1996 and that there will be a crossgrade path for Pro Tools III users for one year following the launch of the PCI versions.

This change to PCI slots poses a problem if you are intending to buy a new Mac system or upgrade an existing one today. From many points of view you will want to choose the latest technology (PCI) but if you already have NuBus cards, or plan to buy a NuBus-based Pro Tools III system, these will not work in PCI slots. The best solution is probably to buy a Second Wave chassis, although this will add something like £1000 to your budget!

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: 1995 comparison LOGIC • DIGITAL PERFORMER • STUDIO VISION • CUBASE
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 07:34:52 PM »
I'm deep into finding the earliest DAW for MacOS..  so far i'm at Digital Performer 1.7 (1997)..  i found Cubase 2 but it's MIDI only.  I found Studio Vision 3.5 but the CD is asking for some authorizing disk.  does anyone know anything about this?  I'll post another thread on this, but figured a ping here wouldn't hurt. 

here's a link to the article (the link above is broken)

https://web.archive.org/web/20150606120106/http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/dec95/macsequencers.html

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 02:23:15 PM »
and i thought you already found it with digidesign soundtools?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 05:02:07 PM »
I haven't installed it yet..  waiting for a replacement floppy to arrive later this week to be able to reinstall existing software (DP 1.7 so far) that has worked as a full DAW.. 

I had another reply to post on the other thread but it got closed before i hit submit..  Studio Vision 3.5 installed but it wants an authentication disk so I gotta find a cr$52ked version if such a version exists.   
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 10:36:24 AM by DieHard »

Online ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 05:33:43 PM »
Can't you refrain from using terms such as c***ked in a public forum, visible to the whole world and all search engines?  >:(
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 08:09:07 PM »
seems like when i used words like that it ends up with a lot of noise / dead leads.  i imagine there has to be some dedicated folks out there actively using this software like i'd like too.  I'm still hunting around.  i found some promising stuff, but i haven't tested yet till i can get a working floppy drive again. 

Online ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 08:21:26 PM »
Why floppy drive? Can't you use an external SCSI drive or some sort of networking/FTP/Web browser/mail to move files to and from?
As to the dead leads - you're either not paying attention or not good at research. The hints to SVP, for example, were given in your SVP thread by GaryN and me. Did you checked that website and what it has to offer?
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 09:09:23 PM »
I haven't installed it yet..  waiting for a replacement floppy to arrive later this week to be able to reinstall existing software (DP 1.7 so far) that has worked as a full DAW.. 

I had another reply to post on the other thread but it got closed before i hit submit..  Studio Vision 3.5 installed but it wants an authentication disk so I gotta find a cracked version if such a version exists.
I have pointed you to a file on the Facebook Opcode group "Studio Vision pro 3.0.6 (k).sit"
I don't expect it to run well on your Quadra if it runs at all… but you can certainly try.
You need the original "StudioVision" (no "Pro") but it's highly unlikely you'll find it.

Of course, if you can't, you can go to the next NAMM show and hunt down Dave Oppenheim or Ray Spears who are always present.
Maybe if you can generate enough sympathy for your cause that they'll help you out.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 04:30:36 AM »
I haven't installed it yet..  waiting for a replacement floppy to arrive later this week to be able to reinstall

sorry i misunderstood you, i thought you were asking "which is the oldest one" and that´s why i was wondering why you talk about something from 1997 after you just had to learn that soundtools is from late 1988.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 05:24:20 AM »
yea i'm trying to get the oldest (working) software i can find that does MIDI+Audio.  So far that is DP 1.7 (1997) but I think SV 3.5 (1997) so SV 3.5 is more of a curiosity to see what the workflow is like vs DP (which i'm fond of coming from DP3 under OS9 as it's very familiar, just a little slower)

I'm going to update the progress on this and document my explorations on youtube for folks that might be interested in doing this as well. 

Offline chokobo

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
I'm pretty sure there was a version of StudioVision that ran on OS7, but it would have been copy protected (which is why you are asked for a floppy), and I'm not aware of any instances of it without the protection. When Opcode died Jason released a version of StudioVision without copy protection. That's probably the version to use. It wont be the older version, and it may only run on OS9.

StudioVision was the very first "DAW" on a personal computer. It probably came out in 1990, but it might have come out in 89. My memory isn't very good with dates. :P

The workflow is a bit different than Performer (including Digital), but there are enough similarities that you'll be able to use either without too much trouble. One of my favorite things about StudioVision is the logic that you can employ for modification and substitution of events. It's very powerful, and I've not seen it replicated.

In the most recent versions Opcode added the ability to convert audio to midi, and back to audio. This allowed you to make changes to the audio that previously no other program could do—a precursor to what Melodyne can now do, and of course DP lets you do these things directly now too (under OS X+).

As a side note Seal's first album was produced by Trevor Horn, and they used StudioVision on the album.  8)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Hi there, yes I have SV 3.0.2 which is circa 1995 IIRC.  This is on my Quadra 650 with an AudioMedia II card.  This is running OS 7.5.5 

It does work without any issues, no apparent lock / copy protection on it.  I got it from the Opcode user group on facebook.  they have a repository of files available for the group members. 

I was able to blunder my way through 3.0.2 to get basic midi recordings and audio playback to work together which was super exciting. 

wow this audio to midi and back sounds pretty wild..   how would i find this feature?  it was in studio vision 3.0.2?  how would the midi notes going back to audio know what the original sound was like? 

what a cool trivia fact!  i wonder if they used it only as a sequencer or if they used it with a 16bit sound card?  I'd assume they were still recording to 2" reel to reel at that time..  SMPTE striping to sync midi to tape? 

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
The version 3.0.2 you have, despite appearing to not have copy protection, was indeed protected but was kracked some time ago by an unknown person.
There is also a 3.5.1(k) there which also works (I'm told) but I'm not sure if or how well it will run in OS 7.

Audio >< MIDI was added to SV Pro in v.4 very near the end. You will NOT be able to run SVP on your Quadra.