Author Topic: Multiple Delta 1010's in one G4 won't work at 96K  (Read 4414 times)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Multiple Delta 1010's in one G4 won't work at 96K
« on: October 31, 2014, 08:02:23 AM »
Has any one successfully used multiple Delta 1010's in a G4 under OS 9 and gotten them to work at 96Khz?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

supernova777

Re: Multiple Delta 1010's in one G4 won't work at 96K
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 01:30:52 PM »
i havent tried 96k but they definately work in multicard sync
do u already own them? or thinking of purchasing?

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 05:23:04 AM »
I own 4 of them actually.  They work just fine in Windows and OS X.  If I install only one in the G4 it works fine at 96k but as soon as I add another I can only use up to 48k.   The delta panel says they are synced at 96k and the card receiving sync over spdif locks to it just fine but the mixer shows no signal, and Cubase is unable to get signal or send signal at 96K, but again this is only when there is more than one card installed.  96k works perfectly fine with only a single card.

Also are you able to get sync via word clock?  I had read somewhere that the drivers in OS 9 never got word clock working so you had to sync them via spdif.

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 05:59:19 AM »
well tbh, i use my 1010's on XP /w m-powered
and i dont even try to use 96khz there..

but i did read of someone being able to get these to work in vista with an xp driver that wasnt installed properly
so perhaps the wordclock happens at a hardware level..

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 07:01:31 AM »
I hadn't used mine at 96k until recently either so I'll just continue using it at 48k.
At least if I know I have to use 96k I can reboot into 0s x and it works just fine.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 04:27:10 PM »
Just wanted to post an update on this for anyone else.
After much experimentation, digging on the internet, conversations with tech support and working for an m-audio dealer here's what I can share about the delta 1010 in os 9.x (some of this may apply to other cards in the delta series).

The word clock in and out do not work with any of the os 9 drivers.
Multi card sync must be done via spdif only.
The 2.x series drivers and the 3.x series drivers both support multiple cards, but the ability to use multiple cards at once through asio only seems to work starting with the 3.x series.
Multiple cards can sync to 96k but the asio drivers and cubase vst 5 do not work well together at 88.2 or 96k when using multiple cards.  Audio can be recorded but not playback occurs.
Cubase VST 5 and a single delta card work perfectly fine at 96k and other sample rates.

So basically if you have multiple cards in one system (up to 3) and use mac os 9.x, you should use the 3.1.0 drivers, set the option for multi card not independent in the delta panel and sync the cards together via spdif.  You also can't use a sample rate of higher than 48k.

I have 4 delta cards that I test in almost all combinations on 3 G4's, a b&w g3 and a beige g3 and I was able to consistently recreate and confirm my statements from above.

The other thing to note is that one of my cards is a rev E card which is notched for both 3.3v and 5v pci slots.  I found that the rev E cards had changes in the digital io ports and that neither spdif or word clock worked in os 9 on the rev e card.  My other 3 cards are rev c cards and are only notched for 5v pci slots.  These cards worked as noted above.

Hope these details help others.