Author Topic: SMPTE Slave Driver Setup for mac os 9  (Read 7422 times)

supernova777

SMPTE Slave Driver Setup for mac os 9
« on: October 26, 2014, 12:46:02 AM »
    SSD Setup 1.31 for Mac OS 9 [0.11 MB]
    SSD Setup 1.31 Read Me [0.02 MB]
http://secure.digidesign.com/services/avid/kb/downloads.cfm?digiArticleId=24034

SMPTE Slave Driver Setup 1.31 Release Notes

April 15, 1996

This new version of the SSD Setup software now has important changes and enhancements based on feedback from you, the customer.  Please read ALL of the enclosed documentation to take full advantage of improvements and changes to the SSD Setup Application. 

Computer and Operating System Requirements

·   Mac LC, Centris, II, Quadra or Power Macintosh family computer with at least 2.5 MB of memory

·   System 7.1

Improvements to the SSD Setup Application

Some of you may be running older versions of the SSD Setup that were shipped with your SMPTE Slave Driver.  SSD Setup 1.3 and 1.31 incorporated changes that were made in older versions of the application.

Changes to earlier versions of the SSD Setup include:

·   Improved LTC output timing and quality,

·   Improved freewheeling during dropouts,

·   Remembering port selection when launched,

·   SMPTE frame not being repeated when the generator was started again.

The following improvement was made to version 1.31:

·   A bug in the SSD 1.3 firmware was fixed in SSD Setup 1.31.  The defect caused Pro Tools to be as much as 2-3 frames off when the SMPTE Slave Driver was resolving to 24 fps, 25 fps or Drop Frame code.  If you loaded the 1.3 firmware into your SMPTE Slave Driver, please run SSD Setup 1.31 and use the “Update” command to update the firmware.

The following improvements were made to version 1.3:

·   SSD Setup will now remember the parameter settings in the “Setup” dialog (under the Options Menu) and will send these settings to the SSD when launched, if “Send Settings to SSD at Startup” is enabled in the “Preferences” dialog.  The parameters, which include sample rate, varispeed, start time and frame rate information, are stored in a preferences file when the user quits the SSD Setup.  (Please read the enclosed documentation for more details.)

For Your Information:

To obtain the best results when generating SMPTE time code, please review the ‘Back Panel’ section of the SSD User Guide, which details the SSD’s SMPTE output wiring description.

Sound Designer II Users - If the SSD Setup application is running at the same time as Sound Designer II/Sound Designer II PT 2.5 or earlier, you may experience communication errors when attempting to open the Setup window in the SSD Setup application.  The error dialog will appear only on the first attempt at communication.  If this occurs, click OK and retry the operation to gain access to the Setup window.  This problem has been remedied in Sound Designer II version 2.8.

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
Re: SMPTE Slave Driver Setup for mac os 9
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »
Ok ,so can this thing be used as a house clock too?  I might end up getting the "apogee big ben" eventually tho.  I also got a vsd (got it for almost nothing) can the vsd be used as a clock, or is it just time code for syncing video?
"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 08:06:55 PM »
i dont know much about it to be  honets - i just found the info but i was posting here to get someone eelse to comment + fill me in

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 08:43:44 PM »
I got one coming in the mail.  I'll report back once I do some research/testing. I read somewhere that the SSD was discontinued I think it was a sound on sound article.
"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 01:04:32 AM »
I got one coming in the mail.  I'll report back once I do some research/testing. I read somewhere that the SSD was discontinued I think it was a sound on sound article.

one what?

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 11:13:44 AM »
an SSD unit.

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 06:34:27 PM »
read carefuly this utility is about Smpte syncing.. they jus thapped to use the same letters.
nothing to do with an SSD drive.. ;)
the text also mentions system 7.1 on mac, which is from the early 90s!!!
so this is an ancient relic of a tool related to syncing protools session to reel to reel tape recorder

i believe its so that u can move left  + right by rewinding the tape and listening and the pro tools session stays in sync?? moves the playhead?

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 07:45:25 PM »
Not a hardrive lol. I bought the SMPTE slave driver. I was just abbreviating it.

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »
doh!  ;D i guess im the confused one LOL

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »
SSD hardrives are nice too tho lol. I Dont have a real to real(one that works anyway) I bought it because it was cheap. That and I was curious to see if it could be used as a sync for my other gear. If not I'll keep it as collectors item.