Author Topic: the quest for (cheap) 64bit sata *os9 bootable*  (Read 16751 times)

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
Re: the quest for (cheap) 64bit sata *os9 bootable*
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 11:22:20 AM »
Does it work in os9? at all? as a data drive? or not at all? completely invisible??

Nope, there is no SIM inside of the 3124 card. I don't remember I ever did it, just started to write.
Verified yesterday - nothing for sure. It was confusing because I remember to spend the entire summer in the home of my parents to make the Open Firmware driver for 3132 and 3124.
And usually if there is an OF driver than I tend to write the SIM as well. But I did not write it, the project was kind of lower priority because the Marvell chip is much better.

Remember: it was around 2005 when port multipliers and PCIe based G5 looked hot. The performance of 3132 sux horribly, so does 3124 for a different reason (PMP handling bug).
Unfortunately I screwed up something with Marvell 7042 and did not unscrew it until I got some help from them, but that was maybe around 2009 or so.

That was really a seniority moment. :(

macStuff

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 07:48:51 AM »
pcie g5 - i wish they never made this machine tbh; just made things complicated

Offline (S)ATAman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 08:46:50 PM »
pcie g5 - i wish they never made this machine tbh; just made things complicated

Not that bad. I rather wish they would make some follow-up of that.
The machines which make the life really complicated are the first generation Intel-based Macs, including the two first generations of Mac Pro.

That really sux because (officially) you are limited to 32-bit OS and 32-bit EFI. For some degree there is a remedy for the OS limitation (make a Hackintosh out of your Macintosh - and it's not even against EULA), but not for 32-bit EFI.

By far the most evil Macs are the ones with the T2 chip. Besides of obvious architecture problems the T2 chip has own NVMe controller which shouldn't be called "NVMe" as it has very little to do with the NVMe spec.

Imagine what happens when Apple abandons these machines (and these machines are running their own micro-OS inside of the T2, nothing is documented!).

Than you want to install Linux or FreeBSD on the T2 Macs.
Is there any open source driver for the T2 NVMe?

I think, the only feasible way is to reverse-engineer their T2 drivers.
But the legal questions will arise.

IMO the best would be if the government policy would prevent such closed deals.
After all, any OS is much like airport, train station / train tracks, Cable, Interstate / Autobahn: it's for people to access the infrastructure.
There should be clear guidelines what a manufacturer of infrastructure should be allowed and what should not.

IMO, the "T2" chip crosses that line.

Same with major busses like AHCI (versus ATA / first-gen SATA), the entire USB stack, the entire Thunderbolt stack not only being closed source - but guarded by an army of Cerberi.

Do you know that NOTHING, really NOTHING prevents a Thunderbolt-3 based PCIe card work in a G5 with PCIe slots?
These "magical" "head wires" are just a huge pile of bovine excrement.

Just read this:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2019/3/15/mac-pro-51-cheese-grater-with-thunderbolt-the-impossible-is-now-possible

Why a THB-3 card "does not work" (and not even showing up) in any Mac Pro?
To my understanding just because the card needs an EFI driver to enable some power coming in.

The alternate solution is to boot Windows first via Bootcamp, Windows has the run-time THB-3 driver, that enables the power.
Re-start the Mac in macOS mode - and you have the THB-3 ports on that 2009 Mac Pro.

Such thing (because THB-3 is obviously a part of the OS infrastructure) should be illegal and even criminal.

Of course, a third party "slave" device (THB-3 drive or monitor) can have a choice, support a certain machine / configuration or not.
But the machine itself should not do the same in reverse!

In other words: you drive down an Autobahn. You come across the border with Austria. It's your choice to drive into Austria or not.
But as long as you pay the (reasonable) money for using the road, Austria won't refuse to let you in.

Or: you want to travel from Warsaw to Verona. You have a host of choices by rail - but no matter how Italian Railway did try hard (and they did!) to prevent third-party rail access: you still can travel. Because at one point such restriction would bump into legislation and into the law. But of course you are not obligated to travel to Verona. You may want to travel to Prague, it's entirely your choice (and not the choice of Italian Rail or Czech Rail companies!)

macStuff

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 11:52:24 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gChOifUJZMc[/youtube]

Offline ivanshpak

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2022, 01:50:32 AM »
Hi all! Can I ask someone to make (1200 dpi) big scans firmtek seritek 1v4

I want to make a new board, and try to count the production of new card

I have thoughts on adding a direct SATA M.2 connection or a direct SSD 2.5 connection to the back side of the card

A small teaser, I found 500 new chips on stock in China

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2022, 07:21:25 AM »
finally someone doing it right, send this man a card to reverse engineer
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline ivanshpak

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2022, 11:18:32 AM »
finally someone doing it right, send this man a card to reverse engineer

The card itself is not needed, but the scans would be useful
The entire technical documentation was found on the Intel chip,

I really hope for the support of the community

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2022, 05:12:54 PM »
someone send this gentleman scans of the https://everymac.com/upgrade_cards/sonnettech/crescendo_g3_nubus/crescendo_g4_360_nubus.html

so those who still rely on nubus hardware can all go G4 OS9
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2022, 05:29:22 PM »
no idea what nubus has do do with seritek, but i just noticed that the seritek website is gone, probably this time forever.

any 1v4 solution - and if it is only OS9/OSX drivers for PC versions - would be most welcome.

i still dont have one, because the seritek office holder required you to have a credit card and because shipping single units to europe makes no sense.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline ivanshpak

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2022, 03:26:48 AM »
no idea what nubus has do do with seritek, but i just noticed that the seritek website is gone, probably this time forever.

any 1v4 solution - and if it is only OS9/OSX drivers for PC versions - would be most welcome.

i still dont have one, because the seritek office holder required you to have a credit card and because shipping single units to europe makes no sense.
For PC intel have driver
https://web.archive.org/web/20041214131941/http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=Y&ProductID=1666&DwnldID=7072

Offline ivanshpak

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2022, 03:30:04 AM »
Anyway, I'm waiting for scans from the community, they can help me, and I'm attaching you a photo of the chips flying towards me for prototypes

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2022, 09:09:59 AM »
strange. probably bc of the tld.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2022, 09:14:54 AM »

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2022, 01:10:23 AM »
weird. i thought those cards used a Vitesse chip.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline ivanshpak

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2022, 06:20:46 AM »
weird. i thought those cards used a Vitesse chip.

Vitesse made an analog under Intel license, the chips are identical