Author Topic: Power Macintosh 9500 - First mac with PCI expansion slots  (Read 5349 times)

supernova777

Power Macintosh 9500 - First mac with PCI expansion slots
« on: October 04, 2014, 02:57:38 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Macintosh_9500

The Power Macintosh 9500 (the 132 MHz model is also known as Power Macintosh 9515 in Europe and Japan) is a high-end Macintosh personal computer which was designed, manufactured and sold by Apple Computer from May 1, 1995 until February 17, 1997. It was powered by a PowerPC 604 processor, a second-generation PowerPC chip which was faster than the earlier PowerPC 601 chip. The 180MP and 200 used the enhanced PowerPC 604e processor. The CPU was connected via a daughterboard, and so could be swapped easily. Available were single-processor cards ranging from 120 to 200 MHz, and a dual processor card with two 180 MHz CPUs. It was the first Macintosh to use the PCI standard, with six PCI slots available, with one always needed for the graphics card. The basic design of the logic board, called "Tsunami", was used by various Macintosh clone makers as a reference design [1] and a modified version was used in the non-Macintosh Apple Network Server series. The 9500 was superseded by the Power Macintosh 9600 in February 1997.

Utilizing a third party G4 CPU upgrade[2] and the XPostFacto installation utility it is possible to run up to Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard" on a 9500, making it the oldest model capable of running Mac OS X.

supernova777

Re: Power Macintosh 9500 - First mac with PCI expansion slots
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 03:17:44 PM »
http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_timeline/index-macs-by-timeline.html

i was unaware that everymac features a timeline browser for viewing the evolution of old macs..
but here is the link! its a great resource for those interested in history

Offline English_Mac

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 12:08:30 AM »
I have one of these a 9500/200 and am trying to set up Opcode Studio Vision 4.2 on it. I have seen the PCI slots and think time to find a sound card which I'd also like to use in a QuickSilver. Anyway so far the install hasn't gone as it should. The Arcadia 604e isn't recognised nor is the music font Aloisen.
I just want to see (feel) how musically "tight" the sequencer is and how many audio replay tracks it can handle.

Although at the moment I keep hitting various "gotchas"  :-\ for a proper install. I can only get a proper sit to un pack on OSX but seem unable to transfer those files via ftp to os9! File sizes are wrong if not zero!?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:35:30 AM by English_Mac »

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 02:23:12 PM »
where are you transferring the files frm? literally the next room? or on the net?
if its the net, try changing your PASSV setting of your ftp client
which client is it? on which os?

lets start at the top again..
which computer has which os..
and which configuration of hardware..?

Offline English_Mac

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 10:01:18 AM »
Thanks chris for the help, so far I've had to unpack on OSX (Tiger) and transfer the files over my local LAN to the 9500, I didn't use FTP becuase of some unknown problem. I found SVP4.2.2.sit had files the one listed on this site didn't have.
Anyway, I still can't get the "keyboard" thing (to do with linking SVP functions to Mac qwerty kebd)  to be accepted by the System Folder. I've tried MIDI recording which is what I do most of and so far SVP "sounds" great! I like it!  :)

The sequencer/DAW I run on my XP although has lots of good features the MIDI timing has always been suspicious. :( I try the 9500 and yippe! timing is tight (as musicians call accurate timing)  -afro- so I'm really getting into it. Seems like this SVP might be worth the time and effort learning. Next up I need to look at a PCI soundcard, might try the m-audio 24/96, I only need 1 stereo pair i/o and 48kHz is enough for my needs.

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 10:30:49 AM »
ive been meaning to get into SVP .. i watched the demo again just the other night
i plan on running it on my sawtooth or b&W under mac os 8.6
now that i have my firewire drives working under 8.6 i can move forward with the plan!
life is a bitch. then u get to the good part  8) ;D

were u using usb on the pc?
parallel devices are supertight, the ones ive tested..
(opcode 64 XTC, Motu MTP AV)
i recently got some super oldschool windows interfaces
the winman 4x4/s + the portman 4x4/s
both compatible with windows 3.1! lol
and 4 in 4 out + smpte generating