Author Topic: dual boot 9/x systems.. hiding the other os drive in both 9/X for fs saftey  (Read 12669 times)

supernova777

i just read that its possible to:
Use Drive Setup to make one of the partitions non-automounting

and id like to do this to ensure that no files get written to x from inside 9.. and vice versa.
is there a way in osx to do the same thing ? make my 9 partition not show up at all ?

watch out for b-tree errors + gremlins

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Did you find an answer to this Chris ?
I'm also interested.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

supernova777

its built into "driveSetup" under utilities folder
select your drive, select functions menu
and "Customize volumes"
shows check boxes for
"automount on startup"
and
"Write protected"

write protecting your osx drive will ensure that no files get written to it
if we can do something similar on the osx side then we could have both operating systems
locked out from writing to each other + hopefully be a 100% workaround for any drive corruption between the os'es

if the option is greyed out its because that drive wasnt initialized initially by the drivesetup app i think

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: dual boot 9/x systems.. hiding the other os drive in both 9/X for fs saftey
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 12:21:30 PM »
Does this work for multiple partitions on a single 'volume'?

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:48:23 PM »
Does this work for multiple partitions on a single 'volume'?

yes thats exactly what i was doing

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 04:19:32 PM »
I've been running a dual-boot MDD for a very long time. I had constant mysterious directory-related problems early on. However, I never once had a problem - as far as I could tell - with 9 writing something to X. (Of course, I never allowed 9 to attempt to rebuild the X desktop or some such folly)

On the other hand, I had constant recurring problems on my 9 drive until I set the preferences in OSX to keep both Time Machine and Spotlight from caring about - and therefore writing to - the 9 drive. I haven't had any issues since.

I'm well aware there are those well-informed folks on this forum (you know who you are) who absolutely insist that operating a dual-boot Mac is the guaranteed path to cyber hell and damnation, but evidently I'm either blessed or damn lucky or the solution is simple: just treat the two systems as though they're Shiites and Sunnis - don't let them talk to each other and peace will prevail…

Since essentially: volumes = partitions = volumes, I would think it would work the same way on a single partitioned drive. Am I missing something?

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 04:37:04 PM »
I don't have my terminology together and was referring to the WHOLE 'Pizza'... Aka.. (hard drive) as a 'volume' and 'partitions' as the 'slices'!😁 someone straight me out please!!!😁 then pass the cheese!!

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 04:39:34 PM »
Ok here is the cheese :) now lets talk about my income.

damn i need to add that like mactrons bottom text.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 06:10:07 PM »
I don't have my terminology together and was referring to the WHOLE 'Pizza'... Aka.. (hard drive) as a 'volume' and 'partitions' as the 'slices'!😁 someone straight me out please!!!😁 then pass the cheese!!

You're right - physically. Partitions are "slices" of the whole drive BUT the system "sees" them as separate volumes as far as data locations. That's why when you partition a drive, it appears as another separate place with its own icon. The system treats the slices the same way it treats actual drives. I have four actual drives in my MDD (the max possible). Two of them are partitioned into two "half slices" so SIX drive icons appear on my desktop.

You can have a volume reside on a thumb drive or on a network outside of the computer - both will appear as volumes with icons on your desktop.

Recap: A partition is a section of a drive. A volume is something or somewhere the system sees as a place where data lives - either a whole drive OR multiple pieces / slices of it.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 09:34:57 PM »

I have four actual drives in my MDD (the max possible). Two of them are partitioned into two "half slices" so SIX drive icons appear on my desktop

So even though at 'Chez MDD' you're only using 4 pizza doughs, the 'waitress' (cpu') is getting 6 orders... 2 cheese and 2 half sausage/ half mushroom! ;D

Boy, this partitioning stuff sure has me working up an appetite!! ;D

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 09:55:40 PM »

Recap: A partition is a section of a drive. A volume is something or somewhere the system sees as a place where data lives - either a whole drive OR multiple pieces / slices of it.

So we would consider a single non partitioned 
Hard drive as '1 volume'... When this hard drive is partitioned it is  still considered a 'single' drive, however each partition on this 'drive' now becomes it's own 'volume'.

I'm good with this... as long as you don't tell me that a 'volume' can be made up of more that 1 partition!! ;D  otherwise I'll be looking for a sale on rope!!! Haha!

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 10:03:54 PM »
It looks like you've got it. No suicide 4 U.

BTW, Nobody uses rope anymore - double up some CAT-5 cable and do it the techie way.

Luddite!

supernova777

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 04:26:15 AM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGPhUr-T6UM[/youtube]

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 05:57:33 AM »
It looks like you've got it. No suicide 4 U.

BTW, Nobody uses rope anymore - double up some CAT-5 cable and do it the techie way.

Luddite!

GaryN... It's going to hard for me to eat pizza from now on without it having a much deeper meaning!! Haha!

Chris… I enjoyed that vid as I never listened to that kinda stuff back in the day, at least not intentionally ;D, So I was kinda hearing it with somewhat 'fresh' ears! With all the samples and whatnot, it was interesting to listen how it was put together and contrast/compare it to some of the stuff out there today!

Well… gotta run… Bieber is on the Today Show…see ya!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 08:15:02 AM »
Chris, that is so strange at 1:35 he says "D'Cota.... da da Cota"
I never heard that before... maybe they are using 'D'Cota" synth in OS 9 on the track.... hmmmmm

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 08:46:02 AM »
i just read that its possible to:
Use Drive Setup to make one of the partitions non-automounting

and id like to do this to ensure that no files get written to x from inside 9.. and vice versa.
is there a way in osx to do the same thing ? make my 9 partition not show up at all ?

watch out for b-tree errors + gremlins
[\quote]

what you can do is for the osx partition dont install the os9 drivers and the partition wont show up in os9. That doesnt work the other way around and would take some self discipline on your end. Just a small protection but thats what i did to hide the big drives in my mdd.