Author Topic: graphite yikes-sawtooth motherboard swap - possible?  (Read 5354 times)

supernova777

graphite yikes-sawtooth motherboard swap - possible?
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:06:50 AM »
due to my recent discovery of compatibilty of the gina 20 card with non-agp powermacs..
just wondering if the cases for a graphite sawtooth g4 are interchangable if u swap the motherboards.
from AGP system board to a PCI yikes motherboard like the one in this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-PowerMac-G4-AGP-PCI-Graphics-Logic-Board-661-2253-/370782233306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565457e2da

im guessing the cpus are interchangable for sure.. but does the motherboard fit the case exactly the same?
can i swap my mb to transform my sawtooth to a pci graphics system?

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Re: graphite yikes-sawtooth motherboard swap - possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 02:03:09 PM »
The CPU's are not interchangeable. The "Yikes!" is pretty much a B&W G3 with a G4 CPU instead of a G3.
Im pretty sure the "Yikes!" motherboard fits in a "Sawtooth" case, but you'll need to find one with the CPU and everything.

Same goes with CPU upgrades. Only upgrades made for the B&W G3 will work with the "Yikes!", since they share the same motherboard.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »
The CPU's are not interchangeable. The "Yikes!" is pretty much a B&W G3 with a G4 CPU instead of a G3.
Im pretty sure the "Yikes!" motherboard fits in a "Sawtooth" case, but you'll need to find one with the CPU and everything.

Same goes with CPU upgrades. Only upgrades made for the B&W G3 will work with the "Yikes!", since they share the same motherboard.

so the yikes is basically a g3 B&W with a g4 cpu.. no difference in motherboard at all?

yeah that looks pretty much exactly the same as a B&W

Offline filipetolhuizen

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:47:39 AM »
The only difference is the Yikes doesn't have the ADB port. Otherwise they're identical. And the original heatsink in the Yikes is larger than the B&W original but one fits another since the slots are identical. My B&W is running with a G4 module from the Yikes and it works out of the box with no enablers or anything (you just have to run a firmware unlocker for any G4 to work on the B&W).

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 08:55:48 AM »
my b&w is already a 450mhz ... so theres not much point of that
then again maybe a g4 450mhz would be alot faster then a g3 450mhz
but id rather find a 3rd party zif upgrade that kicks it up past 600mhz

did the yikes come as a 450mhz? or were they all pci 400mhz?

Offline filipetolhuizen

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 12:28:25 PM »
my b&w is already a 450mhz ... so theres not much point of that
then again maybe a g4 450mhz would be alot faster then a g3 450mhz
but id rather find a 3rd party zif upgrade that kicks it up past 600mhz

did the yikes come as a 450mhz? or were they all pci 400mhz?
There were 400mhz and 350mhz versions of the Yikes. My module is a 400mhz overclocked to 450mhz (500mhz was unstable here even with voltage tweaking, remember my thread about it?). The 350mhz G4 will go up to 450mhz with proper voltage tweak (I tested it already and it was rock stable). It only beats the G3 on FPU intense applications or when it takes advantage of the altivec. The difference was mostly noticeable on RTCW. It's also recommended for DVD burning. There's also a dual CPU bridge for the ZIF socket, but that's ultra rare to find.